Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Russian Invasion of Ukraine

PleaseBlitz

47 minutes ago, The Almighty Buzz said:

How so?

I just mean the more Ukraine destroys, the less there will be for them to use once it get’s abandoned.  But I was mostly poking fun at how Russian soldiers keep reportedly leaving vehicles behind.

Edited by visionary
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tshile said:

Well. The missiles are. My understanding is tomahawks are very hard to detect. They t fly low to the ground. They actually navigate using a topographical mapping system. They’re capable of navigating through valleys. A professor of mine helped build the guidance system at DARPA. They’re incredibly stealthy. 

he’s saying the launch is what’s detected. Which I don’t know anything about that. 

Detecting missile launches is based on detecting the IR signal from the launch from space.

But IR spectra resolution from space isn't generally good and generally gets worse the smaller the thing you are detecting is.

We (the US) have satellite systems that are good at detecting large explosions/launches (e.g ballistic missiles and nuclear explosions) pretty much globally.  But at least not in the public domain smaller things.

If you told somebody you were going to launch something smaller at a place and they had access to the satellite data, I suspect they could identify it.

Now imagine you are trying to identify where something came from based on a relatively small IR signal of its launch from space (w/o good resolution) in a war zone where all sorts of things are exploding/burning and you didn't know where and when it was launched and the thing that launched moves.

To my knowledge, there is nothing in the public domain that could reasonably do that.  Maybe we've got somebody on here leaking national security secrets, and I wouldn't sit here for sure and say it is impossible.  But certainly "not everybody" would know who did it.  There's no way most countries in the world have the satellites and technology to do figure that out.

If he wants to post something about detecting things like cruise missile launches other than not realistic tests for the conversation (e.g. I've told you I've launched something and you have a when and where), then I'll happily admit I'm wrong.  I'm always happy to learn but that would be news to me.

Edited by PeterMP
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

As Tanks Rolled Into Ukraine, So Did Malware. Then Microsoft Entered the War.

Last Wednesday, a few hours before Russian tanks began rolling into Ukraine, alarms went off inside Microsoft’s Threat Intelligence Center, warning of a never-before-seen piece of “wiper” malware that appeared aimed at the country’s government ministries and financial institutions.

Within three hours, Microsoft threw itself into the middle of a ground war in Europe — from 5,500 miles away. The threat center, north of Seattle, had been on high alert, and it quickly picked apart the malware, named it “FoxBlade” and notified Ukraine’s top cyberdefense authority. Within three hours, Microsoft’s virus detection systems had been updated to block the code, which erases — “wipes” — data on computers in a network.

Then Tom Burt, the senior Microsoft executive who oversees the company’s effort to counter major cyberattacks, contacted Anne Neuberger, the White House’s deputy national security adviser for cyber- and emerging technologies. Ms. Neuberger asked if Microsoft would consider sharing details of the code with the Baltics, Poland and other European nations, out of fear that the malware would spread beyond Ukraine’s borders, crippling the military alliance or hitting West European banks.

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 5
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

If he wants to post something about detecting things like cruise missile launches other than not realistic tests for the conversation (e.g. I've told you I've launched something and you have a when and where), then I'll happily admit I'm wrong.  I'm always happy to learn but that would be news to me.

Edited just now by PeterMP

With doing absolutely zero research, I imagine the issue is that missiles like that would normally be fired from a ship and those are tracked a little closer.  

• Thanks 1

RUSSIAN OLIGARCHS START TO SPEAK OUT AS PUTIN BRINGS THE ECONOMY TO THE BRINK OF RUIN

Threats of severe economic sanctions were not enough to deter Vladimir Putin from invading Ukraine. But the enactment of those penalties by the United States and other Ukraine allies has exacted an enormous cost on the Russian economy, bringing its financial system to the brink of disaster and augmenting pressure on the country’s increasingly isolated authoritarian leader. Russia’s economy was already reeling from the swift punishments world leaders imposed following last Thursday’s attack: The country began suffering cash shortages, the ruble went into free fall, and at least two oligarchs—who have been targeted by sanctions, along with their families—called for an end to the conflict, even if they didn’t explicitly call out Putin. “Peace is very important!” Russian billionaire Oleg Deripaska said in a social media post Sunday. “Negotiations need to start as soon as possible!”

“I am deeply attached to Ukrainian and Russian peoples and see the current conflict as a tragedy for them both,” the Ukrainian-born Russian oligarch Mikhail Fridman, whose Alfa Bank was hit with U.S. sanctions last week, wrote in a letter on Friday. “This crisis will cost lives and damage two nations who have been brothers for hundreds of years,” Fridman added. “While a solution seems frighteningly far off, I can only join those whose fervent desire is for the bloodshed to end.”

20 minutes ago, The Almighty Buzz said:

With doing absolutely zero research, I imagine the issue is that missiles like that would normally be fired from a ship and those are tracked a little closer.  

A basic explanation is found with about 3 clicks following a google search of MASINT.  

Not in response to you but this fantasy that we can launch enough missiles to do serious damage to a miles long convoy without the world knowing where it came from geographically and which nation was responsible is one of the more ridiculous things I've seen on here.  Especially when it is presented "authoritatively".

Luckily we have an Administration who is not this foolish. 

6 hours ago, PeterMP said:

They are essentially saying now is the right time.

That's what joining NATO would give you.  We can do what we are doing now without them joining NATO (as we are and have been doing).

And they know that.  The specific call to be allowed into NATO and for NATO to do something is a call for NATO to use its military forces, including ground troops, to help them.  Nobody asks to be let into NATO so that NATO won't contribute ground forces to their defense.

Now, you can disagree and that's fine.  But don't base your disagreement on the state of the Ukrainian military.  Unless you are also going to argue that you know more about the Ukrainian military than the Ukrainians.

The distinction here is direct US military ground involvement (either direct or indirect) on thier own or as a part of NATO forces. You may feel they are the same, and it's probably a somewhat fair argument since most times NATO forces tend to be majority US. But again, you are applying a broader focus than what we being said. It was a direct response to someone saying we as the US, acting alone - not as a part of a NATO force, should be boots on the ground either directly or with indirect ops. That it would not be a good idea. Maybe she played up the Ukraine army's strength more than she should, but I think it's still valid point. And as NATO then they could get NATO support. Sending in US troops or performing indirect ops could escalate things. 

And no ground support now does not mean no support which is what it appears you are also applying here which I do not see it that way. Again, she said not now. Moving on. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Redskins Diehard said:

A basic explanation is found with about 3 clicks following a google search of MASINT.  

Not in response to you but this fantasy that we can launch enough missiles to do serious damage to a miles long convoy without the world knowing where it came from geographically and which nation was responsible is one of the more ridiculous things I've seen on here.  Especially when it is presented "authoritatively".

Luckily we have an Administration who is not this foolish. 

I think most people here understand the types of missiles we are talking about do pretty local damage.  They're generally used for buildings and don't destroy blocks in a city much less miles of city blocks.

So depending on your definition of "serious damage", yes it would be hard and realistically impossible to hide who did it if we used enough missiles to destroy a large portion of the convey.  I suspect even for us that would be a significant amount of our missile inventory.  But if Russian morale is already low, then what is "serious" can change.

I'm not at all sure the convey would make the most sense if your requirement is that we do it with missiles even if you weren't trying to keep it a secret.  I was commenting more on the general principal of the matter.

Even @PleaseBlitz said a few missiles.

So you did the search and didn't bother to post a link?

(I posted this before but again:

Israel used a sub to conduct a cruise missile attack on Syria to destroy some missiles from Russia.  It then leaked from our Pentagon (so people knew who did it because we leaked it and not because they used data to track the missile launch back to an Israeli sub) and Israel wasn't happy with us for leaking because our leak eliminated their plausible deniability.

https://freebeacon.com/national-security/israel-angered-by-u-s-leaks-of-submarine-missile-attack-on-syria/

So Israel can do it (as long as there isn't a leak), but we can't.  Makes lot of sense.

)

@The Almighty Buzz

Subs or stealth drones.

Edited by PeterMP
  • Like 1

Funker530.com has tons of combat footage. Some good stuff if you’re rooting for the Ukrainians 

I don’t feel like they really should be linked here. A bit over the top probably. But wanted to share. 

Edited by tshile
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

The distinction here is direct US military ground involvement (either direct or indirect) on thier own or as a part of NATO forces. You may feel they are the same, and it's probably a somewhat fair argument since most times NATO forces tend to be majority US. But again, you are applying a broader focus than what we being said. It was a direct response to someone saying we as the US, acting alone - not as a part of a NATO force, should be boots on the ground either directly or with indirect ops. That it would not be a good idea. Maybe she played up the Ukraine army's strength more than she should, but I think it's still valid point. And as NATO then they could get NATO support. Sending in US troops or performing indirect ops could escalate things. 

And no ground support now does not mean no support which is what it appears you are also applying here which I do not see it that way. Again, she said not now. Moving on. 

Okay.  I can agree with that and didn't consider that.

But that's a statement about us.  And not the Ukrainian military.

• Like 1

Adidas, Visa And Mastercard Halt Key Russia Services–Here’s The Growing List Of Companies Responding To Invasion

Adidas, the world’s second largest sportswear manufacturer, and payments firms Visa and Mastercard are the latest multinational firms to take action in response to Russia’s invasion of Ukraine Tuesday, joining businesses including Disney, Shell and Twitter to suspend services or give aid to people in Ukraine–here’s a list of companies who have taken measures:

• Adidas said on Tuesday it is suspending its partnership with the Russian Football Union, effective immediately, bringing a halt to the years-long partnership between the soccer program and Europe’s largest sportswear manufacturer.
  • Maersk, one of the world’s biggest shipping lines, suspended deliveries to and from Russia Tuesday apart from food, medical and humanitarian supplies, citing the impact of sanctions.
  • Youtube on Tuesday blocked channels operated by Russian-state-funded outlets Russia Today and Sputnik News across Europe, days after it temporarily demonetized RT and other channels Saturday and prevented it from earning money through ads on its videos, and limited access to these channels in Ukraine.

• Global payments firms Mastercard and Visa blocked a number of Russian financial institutions targeted by sanctions from their networks, in compliance with Western sanctions, the companies announced Monday and Tuesday.

• The Walt Disney Company, which owns Marvel Studios, 20th Century Studios, Pixar and other film properties, announced Monday it is pausing its release of theatrical films in Russia, including its anticipated Pixar film Turning Red, “given the unprovoked invasion of Ukraine and the tragic humanitarian crisis.”

• A spokesperson for Netflix told the Wall Street Journal Monday that “given the current situation,” the streaming service has no plans to distribute news, sports and entertainment channels from Russian state media, despite a new Russian regulation that requires organizations with more than 100,000 subscribers to carry them, according to a source familiar with the matter.

• Shell announced Monday it would divest in several ventures with Gazprom, a Russian-state owned gas company totaling to roughly $3 billion in value.

Twitter said Monday it would label tweets that share information from Russian state media accounts, and announced Friday it was temporarily suspending ads in Ukraine and Russia “to ensure critical public safety information is elevated and ads don’t detract from it.”

• Airbnb announced Monday they will provide free, short-term housing for 100,000 refugees who have fled Ukraine, which will be paid for by the company and through donations. 

Etsy announced Monday it was canceling all balances owed to the company by sellers in Ukraine, including listing and advertising fees, amounting to roughly $4 million, to alleviate financial hardships felt by those in the country. 

• Oil giant BP divested a roughly 20% stake in Russian oil company Rosneft Sunday, and announced the immediate resignation of two BP-nominated Rosneft board members, with BP chair Helge Lund calling Russia’s attack on Ukraine an “act of aggression” and saying BP’s “involvement with Rosneft, a state-owned enterprise, simply cannot continue.”

Facebook’s parent company Meta said it restricted access to Russian state media accounts in Ukraine, blocked Russian state media from running ads and earning money from their accounts on the platform, and Sunday said it took down posts related to a disinformation campaign targeting Ukraine. 

• Verizon waived residential and mobile call fees to and from Ukraine Friday through March 10, and waived voice and text roaming charges for those in the country.

• Like 4

Anonymous Offers Russian Soldiers Over $50K Worth of Bitcoin for Each Surrendered Tank (Report)

The notorious hacker organization – Anonymous – has reportedly offered Russian troops payments in bitcoin to hand over their tanks. The group would pay more than $52,000 in BTC for each surrendered combat vehicle.

The Ukrainian side has been trying to stop the Russian invasion not only by weapons and direct combats but also by striking them digitally. A few days ago, Mykhailo Fedorov – Ukraine’s Vice PR – announced the government will create an IT army. “We need digital talents. There will be tasks for everyone. We continue to fight on the cyber front,” he explained.

The intercontinental hacker group – Anonymous – has also conducted several cyber-attacks on Russia. In just two days, the organization breached more than 300 Russian targets collecting over RUB 1 billion (around $10 million).

In another attempt to lessen the power of the Russian forces and make extra profits, Anonymous reportedly offered tank crews $52,000 worth of bitcoin for each surrendered battle machine. Those who wish to exchange such vehicles for cryptocurrency need to wave a white flag and use the password “million” so that the hacking group can recognize them.

“Russian soldiers, everyone who wants to live with their families, children, and not die, the Anonymous global community has collected RUB 1,225,043 in bitcoin to help you,” their message states.