Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Russian Invasion of Ukraine

PleaseBlitz

13 minutes ago, Llevron said:

These results to make any ****ing sense to me. If all of Bidens actions have been what people want, then why are "independents" and republicans against the handling of it?  

here’s that one https://www.yahoo.com/news/poll-74-percent-of-americans-call-russias-ukraine-invasion-unjustified-142128676.html

But yeah, tie a party to anything and the opposition will generally be unfavorable overall unfortunately even if they agree with stuff that’s being done

Edited by steve09ru
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, steve09ru said:

From the poll I posted a few pages back, it sounded like they agreed with what they are doing but don’t think we are being tough enough which is driving the handling portion down

Getting involved militarily is bipartisanly unpopular to… how much harsher can we get?

4 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Getting involved militarily is bipartisanly unpopular to… how much harsher can we get?

Timing of polling matters too. I feel more things have happened since the polling but I’m also guessing oil is something they want to see something done on with the pipelines reopening and removing some of the reliance off russia.  Just an assumption based on favorability of pipelines in the past

31 minutes ago, Llevron said:

These results to make any ****ing sense to me. If all of Bidens actions have been what people want, then why are "independents" and republicans against the handling of it?  

Because half of Americans are blithering idiots that believe anything they read on Facebook, and amaze me when they can get through a day without sticking a fork in their eye.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I would be so proud of the internet if we could just take down whatever IPS they use and then DoS them into the stone age with collective effort from all the memers and tictok teens. 

They have their own backup, internet internet called RUNet

its unclear how well it works, etc. but they’ve been working on it for a while. 

9 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

This is not the situation for us to go guns blazin' and restore order. We are pretty much already doing everything that can be done that won't lead to a higher conflict.

Pray for Ukraine, cuz this will all be at their expense.

I know all those arguments all too well. Still, I think they are either hypocrits or coward ones.

When Irak invaded Kuweit some 30 years ago, everyobdy went against Irak. Kuweit neither was member of NATO, nor was a member of EU. OK. So why did everyone went against Irak then? We should have let them defend against Irak right? Nope we went against it.

Kosovo? Lybia? Same thing... Irak II? LOL, US and CIA even admitted about lying on this to go to war.

If that was any non nuclear country invading Ukraine, we would have jumped in already.

That crisis and war should teach us a few things:

- The vet right at the security counsel of the UN should be removed to everyone. So countries cannot use it to defend their own interest. No more vets to US, Russia, China, France or UK. Never.

- We haven't learned much from history as we're doing the same mistakes again.

From all reports regarding Putin, everyone that knows him quite a bit knows that he's absolutely the kind of guy that would use the Nuke weapon.

He used false accusations to start his invasion. He also said he won't backed off due to financial, sports sanctions or whatever. He'll keep on going. No matter what. After all, he was warned quite well what would happen. Did it stopped him?

Nope.

We also knows that he didn't cared much about civilians, in Syria or Libya, so he won't mind about Ukrainian civils. And let's not forget that he doesn't see Ukraine as a legitimate country, that's something that shouldn't exist at all. That doesn't look good for Ukrainian people.

Parlays with Ukraine are dead from the beginning as he wants to demilitarize them, denazificate them, and basically wants them to surrender and cease to exist. So we're dealing with a guy that is clearly fooling us.

Reports from E. Macron that met him just prior to this was that Putin was unrecognizable, using false arguments, false history and stuff like that to justify his position. Tat doesn't look good too. From F. Hollande prior to the Minsk treaty, Putin threaten with Nukes as well, and Hollande did play the game, saying we were. That's where he backed off.

Putin only knows strength and power. He doesn't recognize anything else. But if we limit ourselves to some financials stuff, we clearly see he doesn't care at all about that. So what's the point?

Like 1939, we're trying to not engage him hoping to prevent another World War. But we should all remember how that ended. If I'm Finnish right now, I wouldn't feel all too good. Not member of the EU, not member of the NATO... So they're the next in line to face Russia. What are we gonna do then? Stop selling T-shirts there?

And what if he nukes Ukraine? We'll agree that Nuking a non EU/NATO member is fine? Nope? OK? What do we do? Not selling Marshmallows?

If that's all we have for answers I can as well suggest to remove EU/NATO/UN, and all bow to Vladimir Putin the Magnificent. Because what we're doing won't do ****.

If the world is fine watching Ukrainian die on TV while we're saying "Ooh, that's not right Putin!". Well, I do have a problem with that really.

• Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, China said:

Seems to me that if you had the aircraft and missiles, such an easily identifiable convoy would be an easy target:

Satellite images show 40-mile-long Russian military convoy nearing Kyiv

not just easy, but urgent.  If Ukraine had the means to stop a 40 mile long armored convoy from reaching its destination they would.  That an enormous amount of destruction headed their way.

Just now, redskins59 said:

Wonder if " Anonymous" is just our CIA or some sort of covert operation.  Since we don't want to directly hack Russia, this makes sense to me.

Nah, they’re a band of misfits. Been around for a while. USA is not a fan of them. They’re basically anarchists - they have their own set of morals but they play fast and loose and will target anyone. 

originally they had a lot of criminal conduct going on. Caused tons of infighting as their brand and reputation were tarnished. Lots of splintering. Up until now it seemed like their most talented people left, because they basically devolved into general website defacing and ddos - neither of which is very sophisticated. Script kiddies can do it. 

im unclear how much truth is in all this, and what exactly they have gained access to. 

they put out a video threatening to drain all Russians bank accounts in 3 days. I don’t see how that’s even possible. I don’t understand why they, even being a mild version of their former self, would make a claim no one in the IT security field would believe… the only thing I can come up with is they just wanted to create a run on the Russian banks. 

but no. They’re definitely a band of misfits. Most of their power comes from simply having control of botnets. 

it’ll be interesting to see what exactly they were able to do, when this is over. 

1 minute ago, tshile said:

they put out a video threatening to drain all Russians bank accounts in 3 days. I don’t see how that’s even possible. I don’t understand why they, even being a mild version of their former self, would make a claim no one in the IT security field would believe… the only thing I can come up with is they just wanted to create a run on the Russian banks.

There's a lot of unofficial annonymous stuff out there. That video was a fake. And the account that was posted above is anonanonymous with 1300 followers, not the official group that has a boatload of followers. Of course, anonanonymous could be affiliated, but at this point I'd take a lot of stuff that isn't through the direct twitter handle or being widely reported by the media with a grain of salt.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, goskins10 said:

Fox getting fact checked live by thier own correspondent: 

(Deleted tweet of Video of Jennifer Griffin essentially saying that the Ukrainians don't need (more) help (e.g. direct NATO intervention) because their military is really good and they have this.)

We can argue from our perspective and our national security whether getting more involved makes sense, but to go on tv and to essentially say the Ukrainians have this and don't need help is ignoring reality and the Ukrainians.

Their President has publicly admitted to calling European countries and asking if they can immediately be admitted into NATO.  You do that because you want active NATO involvement.

We also now have the tweet in this thread from their foreign minister saying:

Foreign Minister warns

. Dmytro Kuleba says “it’s better to help now than find themselves eye-to-eye with Putin later…. No need to fear that Nato will find itself at war with Russia because of Ukraine. If Russia wins – you are next.”

To simply say the Ukrainians don't need more help is ignoring what the Ukrainian leadership is telling you (us).

Again maybe the argument that we shouldn't get involved hinges more on our interests and our national security interests.  But to argue that it isn't needed because the Ukrainians don't want or need it is extremely disingenuous and requires that you know more about their military and their situation than the Ukrainians.

Edited by PeterMP

1 hour ago, steve09ru said:

From the poll I posted a few pages back, it sounded like they agreed with what they are doing but don’t think we are being tough enough which is driving the handling portion down

If Biden got any tougher his approvals would drop down even further.

20 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

When Irak invaded Kuweit some 30 years ago, everyobdy went against Irak. Kuweit neither was member of NATO, nor was a member of EU. OK. So why did everyone went against Irak then? We should have let them defend against Irak right? Nope we went against it.

Kosovo? Lybia? Same thing... Irak II? LOL, US and CIA even admitted about lying on this to go to war.

Iraq Kosovo and Lybia were all UN sanctioned coalition forces lead operations. Clearly not possible w/ Russia atm as they can veto the security council.

Iraq 2 was an internationally condemned clusterbomb and I don't see a lot of desire to repeat that scenario.

30 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

If I'm Finnish right now, I wouldn't feel all too good. Not member of the EU, not member of the NATO... So they're the next in line to face Russia. What are we gonna do then?

Finland is in the EU.

And a lot of the standalone countries in the region are looking to accelerate membership into NATO and EU as a result of Russia's actions

33 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

If that's all we have for answers I can as well suggest to remove EU/NATO/UN, and all bow to Vladimir Putin the Magnificent. Because what we're doing won't do ****.

If the world is fine watching Ukrainian die on TV while we're saying "Ooh, that's not right Putin!". Well, I do have a problem with that really.

They are doing everything short of direct military action. Anything more would require America to literally have Congress draft a declaration of War vs Russia. Short of Putin dropping a nuke, that is not going to happen over a country that we have no military alliance w/

The UK has already come out and said they are not sending troops for similar reasons. Nobody is starting WW3 when they don't have to.

49 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

If I'm Finnish right now, I wouldn't feel all too good. Not member of the EU, not member of the NATO... So they're the next in line to face Russia. What are we gonna do then? Stop selling T-shirts there?

And what if he nukes Ukraine? We'll agree that Nuking a non EU/NATO member is fine? Nope? OK? What do we do? Not selling Marshmallows?

11 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Finland is in the EU.

And a lot of the standalone countries in the region are looking to accelerate membership into NATO and EU as a result of Russia's actions

Finland will today debate joining NATO despite threat from neighbours Russia that they will face 'military and political consequences'

Finland will today debate joining NATO after a petition calling for a referendum reached 50,000 signatories in response to Russia's invasion of Ukraine. 

The move to debate Finland's NATO membership comes despite neighbouring Russia threatening the country with 'military and political consequences' if they join the military alliance.

Finnish MPs will discuss the possibility of their country joining NATO on Tuesday after an opinion poll showed a historic change in attitude in the traditionally non-aligned country after Putin waged war on Ukraine.

'I fully understand that the view of many Finns on the issue of NATO membership has changed or is changing as Russia has started military action against Ukraine. This is understandable,' Finland's Prime Minister Sanna Marin said. 

Click on the link for the full article

3 minutes ago, China said:

Finland will today debate joining NATO despite threat from neighbours Russia that they will face 'military and political consequences'

They ain't gonna be the only ones. Joining NATO is the best deterrent to further Russia action beyond Ukraine. EU's nothin' to sniff at either.

The more the merrier, and effective.

• Like 1