Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Russian Invasion of Ukraine

PleaseBlitz

7 hours ago, PeterMP said:

Will the sanctions stay in place if Russia stops?  How long?  Countries have a history of relaxing sanction over time.  What was once "bad" and "awful" becomes the norm and countries go back to doing business as before.

Yeah, pretty sure Putin is counting on the sanctions being mostly gone in a year.  Maybe a month.  

(And I think history says he's probably right.)  

2 hours ago, Redskins Diehard said:

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2022/02/28/world-war-iii-already-there-00012340

For those who want something different than the adrenaline junkie/reality show playing out on TV.  

Good read.

I essentially said this earlier in the thread:

"So what Putin wants isn’t necessarily to occupy the whole country, but really to divide it up. He’s looked at Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya and other places where there’s a division of the country between the officially sanctioned forces on the one hand, and the rebel forces on the other. That’s something that Putin could definitely live with — a fractured, shattered Ukraine with different bits being in different statuses."

The other point that I think is especially important:

"Reynolds: And you do not think he will necessarily stop at Ukraine?

Hill: Of course he won’t. Ukraine has become the front line in a struggle, not just for which countries can or cannot be in NATO, or between democracies and autocracies, but in a struggle for maintaining a rules-based system in which the things that countries want are not taken by force. Every country in the world should be paying close attention to this. Yes, there may be countries like China and others who might think that this is permissible, but overall, most countries have benefited from the current international system in terms of trade and economic growth, from investment and an interdependent globalized world. This is pretty much the end of this. That’s what Russia has done."

• Like 1

What if Putin sent in all the dumb dumbs first just to wear out the Ukrainians. Like - here’s the randoms we grabbed off the street. **** with them for a week. Get exhausted. Ok here’s our actual army

6 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

Good read.

It’s and excellent read @Redskins Diehard

still working through it. 

7 minutes ago, tshile said:

What if Putin sent in all the dumb dumbs first just to wear out the Ukrainians. Like - here’s the randoms we grabbed off the street. **** with them for a week. Get exhausted. Ok here’s our actual army

It’s and excellent read @Redskins Diehard

still working through it. 

That's my worry is that Putin was expecting very little resistance from the first wave of troops but now that he is being advised there is an actual fight to be had, he is preparing to unleash methods that aren't going to leave it up to chance.

27 minutes ago, tshile said:

I was wondering that too.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Simmsy said:

Dear God, for once, in their miserable existence, can't the GOP be on the right side of history? How many losers can one group get behind?

Just observing.  You're asking this question on a message board dedicated to people who are still fans of the Washington Redskins.  

(I agree with your point.)  

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

3 hours ago, The Almighty Buzz said:

I just wrote out a really long response and it somehow it got deleted.  I’ll type something out again later.

Do you know that there’s  an “undo typing” button in the toolbox?  It’s the left pointing arrow. It’s saved me more than once from accidentally deleting a big chunk of my ramblings. 

Edited by Dan T.
  • Thanks 1

Switzerland will forego "Swiss neutrality" and adopt same sanctions as EU against Russia

Switzerland has announced that it will forego its commitment to “Swiss neutrality” in favor of adopting sanctions against Russia, Swiss Federal President Ignazio Cassis said Monday, adding that Switzerland’s sanctions will be in line with those already adopted by the European Union. 

“The Swiss Federal Council has decided today to fully adopt EU sanctions,” Cassis said during a news briefing. “It is an unparalleled action of Switzerland, who has always stayed neutral before.”

“Russia's attack is an attack on freedom, an attack on democracy, an attack on the civil population, and an attack on the institutions of a free country. This cannot be accepted regarding international law, this cannot be accepted politically, and this cannot be accepted morally,” Cassis added. 

Speaking after an extraordinary meeting of the Swiss Federal Council, Cassis stressed that “in these dark days,” Switzerland stands in solidarity with the people of Ukraine and hopes that sanctions will encourage the Kremlin to “change its mind.”

“To play into the hands of an aggressor is not neutral. Having signed the Geneva convention of human rights, we are bound to humanitarian order,” Cassis said. “Other democracies shall be able to rely on Switzerland; those standing for international law shall be able to rely on Switzerland; states that uphold human rights shall be able to rely on Switzerland."

Click on the link for the full article

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

I just forayed down a bit of a rabbit hole for a contrarian viewpoint.  I read Greenwald's screed on, "War Propaganda -- it's everywhere" (my paraphrase). I read some Russian perspectives and they all believe that the Ukrainian and their government are guilty of genocide against Russians inside Ukraine.  Finally, I read Mearsheimer (there are also Youtube videos) article about how Ukraine is the West's fault because we keep encroaching closer to Russia.  He claims to be a realist, and that "might makes right" and sometimes a global power can flex their muscles, so Ukraine should just accept the inevitable of having regime change.  Besides, the US does it all the time.  Russian citizens are also pissed at the West and looking at the incoming economic crisis, but feel powerless to impact change on Putin.  

2 hours ago, Larry said:

Yeah, pretty sure Putin is counting on the sanctions being mostly gone in a year.  Maybe a month.  

(And I think history says he's probably right.)  

Russia shares a land border with China so the sanctions will have a only a limited effect.