Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

5 minutes ago, Nerm said:

I don't know the details, but my guess is that Dallas wanted some financial protection if he gets suspended again.  Not an unreasonable thing to ask for, seeing as Gregory has spent the majority of his career suspended.  He is a good pass rusher when he is on the field, and they will miss him.  However, there is a pretty good chance that they would have been missing him even if they had signed him, since the odds of him getting suspended again are probably above 50% based on his history.  At least this way, the Cowboys are not paying him and missing him at the same time.

My guess that Gregory went to Denver is because, you know, ... legal Rocky Mountain high.;)

stoner love GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals

:229:The Rook

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Conn said:

McLaurin’s year 1 cap hit could be small just like lots of other big contracts. It’s really not a problem if they want to make room, they don’t need to do it all ahead of time, they can let it come to them and see what room they need by the time the contracts are actually signed and submitted to the league (if we ever sign anyone lol). There’s a large enough window between agreeing to a contract and it becoming official to do whatever we want in that regard. Most of the teams who preemptively cleared a ton of space were either majorly OVER the cap and need to get under by tomorrow, making room for huge QB or Franchise Tag cap hits, or going after Watson—meaning they need to show they have cap flexibility to support him and help draw him in. Most other teams can do what we’re doing and clear space as they/we need it 

I hear you, but I stand that even $20 million is not a lot of cap space for a team that on paper right now is not a contender and already lost 2, arguably 3 starters already in the last couple days (Collins, Scherff, and McKissick).

Edited by Renegade7

14 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

So, Washington certainly "can" make some cap room easily enough. But the problem is the team is heading towards needing to give out some really big contracts in the near future and will have some hard decisions to make as is.

When you're not that good a team to start with and you're already losing more than you're gaining in Free Agency and then you're spending future cap dollars to try to patch your current roster... it's just not a great position to be in.

What kills me about this is I get QBs get cost money and trading for one could take a lot of cap space, but it appears that we are so bad at managing the cap and roster right now that even if we had a good one from get go, we still couldn't put a team around him to win a ring. 

Maybe I'm jus frustrated and speaking out loud, but I do not like this at all, it makes zero sense being in this position right now and not having a playoff win since 2005. Zero sense.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

What kills me about this is I get QBs get cost money and trading for one could take a lot of cap space, but it appears that we are so bad at managing the cap and roster right now that even if we had a good one from get go, we still couldn't put a team around him to win a ring. 

Maybe I'm jus frustrated and speaking out loud, but I do not like this at all, it makes zero sense being in this position right now and not having a playoff win since 2005. Zero sense.

It's because it takes time to build a real contender and Washington has always been too busy aiming for slightly above the middle to actually attempt to build one. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

God. The negativity in this thread is crazy. We have a better QB than we’ve had since Kirk. We didn’t land Watson/Wilson/Rodgers, but we are better at the most important spot on the field and didn’t wind up with Trubisky or Jimmy G, which is what we all feared. 

Im glad Scherff is gone. The only tragedy is that we didn’t cut him loose last year and carry over the cap savings. 

Landon didn’t pan out: we can replace what he offered. 

Washington isn’t a place that no FA will come. Money talks unless you’re talking about a vet that is chasing chips. And Rivera is widely respected. 

If we had Wentz last year, we would have made the playoffs with one of the 3 most difficult schedules in the league. It looks like this year we have the easiest schedule. We are going to make the playoffs this year. The needle is pointing up. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 4
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

God. The negativity in this thread is crazy. We have a better QB than we’ve had since Kirk. We didn’t land Watson/Wilson/Rodgers, but we are better at the most important spot on the field and didn’t wind up with Trubisky or Jimmy G, which is what we all feared. 

Im glad Scherff is gone. The only tragedy is that we didn’t cut him loose last year and carry over the cap savings. 

Landon didn’t pan out: we can replace what he offered. 

Washington isn’t a place that no FA will come. Money talks unless you’re talking about a vet that is chasing chips. And Rivera is widely respected. 

If we had Wentz last year, we would have made the playoffs with one of the 3 most difficult schedules in the league. It looks like this year we have the easiest schedule. We are going to make the playoffs this year. The needle is pointing up. 

I know. People actually doubt the genius of the Washington football organization.

giphy.gif

• Haha 3
  • Thumb down 1

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Or, of course, the most likely scenario… they get extra picks next year… and just use them.

Or they could also trade back to accumulate more picks for the picks they traded this year.

But then, they could also defer and trade those picks for 2024 picks as well.

Those compensatory picks are a game changer!

78A47DD9-2E7B-47F3-808F-6B9D1B8AAE99.gif

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Conn said:

I’m sure they did make it clear. They’re surprised they never got the chance because anyone would rather compete for SB’s catching balls from Josh Allen than come back here. Can’t hate that, matching would not have been enough. 

Personally I would've paid him a bit more if that's what it took. It is not going to be easy to replace his contributions

I’m honestly not sure what some of you guys want, or if it’s just no matter what they do- you’ll find reasons not to like it.

In a way, I get it.  This organization deserves no benefit of the doubt and consistently finds ways to be disappointing. 

It’s odd that I currently find myself in a place where I’m not at odds with the moves they are making, or lack thereof.  The day one and two deals are always wild, but this year has been outright insanity.  I don’t blame them at all for not getting involved in it.  They got out in front of the QB market by trading for a guy that has actually been really good before, wasn’t bad last season, and is still relatively young for the position.  We could be talking about Mitch Trubisky right now and I’d be right there with the naysayers, but we aren’t.  I fully expect them to extend Terry, and hopefully address LB and TE soon enough, and head to the draft.  That’s about as solid as they can do.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Tarpon75 said:

Personally I would've paid him a bit more if that's what it took. It is not going to be easy to replace his contributions

I’m ok with letting JD go.  He was very productive for us, but he’s tiny and can’t play special teams.  Your backup RBs have to be able to play teams.  Better to get a comp pick and save the money and draft a replacement

1 hour ago, markmills67 said:

We can free up a minimum of 20m tomorrow when they officially sign Wentz and release Collins. We will almost certainly move 13m of Wentz contract into next year.  I wanted more than anyone to be big free Agency spenders on day 1, but its obvious that Rivera and Co don't want to re-do or release anyone until its officially Free Agency. For once we are doing it the right way. 

Could you explain to those of us that do not understand what is the difference of releasing or signing players before the actual league year begins.  I understand that deals could fall apart, but I am not sure?  

1 hour ago, Redwards said:

I've read article after article over the past few days about how Wentz rarely throws to his backs.  I'm not talking about a designed screen.  Those articles are talking about the back being an option on a play and Wentz always looking away from them.  

Stats are stats. Taylor had 39 targets 36 receptions last year. Hines had 57 targets 40 receptions. And Marlon Mack had 5 targets 2catches. Thats 98 targets to running backs, an average of 6 targets per game to running backs. In comparison Austin Ekeler who pretty much played rb on all 3 downs all 17 games and had the most catches among running backs last year had 94 targets and 70 catches. 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I hear ya. The problem I have is that they didn't even try to make a reasonable deal with Indy. All signs pointed to Wentz being released in Indy so you would think a better deal could have been made if they put some effort into it.

Sorry, this my be the wrong place for this kind of post.

Edited by RVAskins
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Part of the problem is we mismanaged our first round picks drafting 4 dlineman with 1st round picks and a guard that just left.  1st and 2nd round picks are supposed to be spread out on the different levels of your team e.g. A dlineman, a corner back, linebacker, an olineman a receiver,  etc... not 5 lineman and then bust on all second round picks for 5 years...

Bruce "damn good culture" Allen.

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 1

13 minutes ago, sebestian said:

Could you explain to those of us that do not understand what is the difference of releasing or signing players before the actual league year begins.  I understand that deals could fall apart, but I am not sure?  

I think it means that Wentz is not officially a Washington player until the league year starts, tomorrow 4pm. We can't adjust his cap figure until then. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

43 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I completely understand it because it has been a deeply miserable life being a fan of this team, but this reads as decades of compounded frustration to me—rather than a fair critique of where this specific roster is at this specific time. This is the best all-around roster we’ve had in a long time, the division is pretty weak, the conference is very weak, and we have the best QB we’ve had in ages. 

My passion for this team isn’t high, and I’m not thrilled to be defending it. The apathy is strong. The rebrand is bad, the ownership is catastrophic, the stadium is a dump, the fanbase is in tatters. But on the field, this is the most promising things have been in quite a while with an actual talented potential answer at QB (flawed or we wouldn’t have had a shot at him). It’s strange but true, even if this team refuses to do things “correctly” by tanking for a perfect QB prospect and doing a full rebuild, even if we haven’t made any big signings so far. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

I’m ok with letting JD go.  He was very productive for us, but he’s tiny and can’t play special teams.  Your backup RBs have to be able to play teams.  Better to get a comp pick and save the money and draft a replacement

Tiny and can't play special teams yet  was one of the best blocking backs we have had in a while.Great locker room guy,versatile,can run between the tackles or outside and has great hands.