Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

9 hours ago, MartinC said:

Cosmi is already better and will only improve and costs $1.5M against the cap for the next three seasons. Drafting players like him is how you build a roster.

Not everything we do is wrong.

I agree, in fact, I wouldn't have a problem if we went O-line in the 2nd or 3rd round every draft...You have to keep tending to the offensive line and the draft is where you find them. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yep should be some player releases around the league coming today

And maybe this is part of the waiting strategy the Commanders, Patriots and others are taking? See who gets released and pounce on who you like? 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

31 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Collins if/when released will add some dead cap but on that front we are in good shape relativelty speaking

Screen Shot 2022-03-16 at 8.27.14 AM.png

I'm a bit confused by this.   Isn't the cap based off the top 51?    if that's the case you have to deduct the bottom 9 salaries and add them to our actual cap space.

3 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

And maybe this is part of the waiting strategy the Commanders, Patriots and others are taking? See who gets released and pounce on who you like? 

Yes. And when you sign players that have been released, they don’t count against your comp picks.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Jericho said:

The guy with 987 career yards and who has been cut 4 times was supposed to be the bell cow? I guess you're hoping for that rare 6th year running back breakout? I feel like there has to be better options out there.

Did you watch him play with the Titans last year?!  Maybe watch him play instead of just looking at stats. 

25 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yep should be some player releases around the league coming today

We'll see releases and restructures. After today we will probably have about 20 - 25 million in cap space for FA and draftees. 6 million from releasing Collins, and about 13 million if/when they convert Carsons 28 million salary to a 15 million signing bonus.

(for anyone interested on how they will restructure Wentz' contract, take a look at this article: https://www.hogshaven.com/2022/3/10/22970055/solving-the-commanders-salary-cap-issue-created-by-the-carson-wentz-trade)

Edited by ZarG3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

Did you watch him play with the Titans last year?!  Maybe watch him play instead of just looking at stats. 

I thought he was very good filling in for Henry....and I'd love to see a big, pounding back come here. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Released players won't override the comp picks they gained.  

Often the best value are dudes that aren't getting what they want and decide to take a one year contract to prove themselves and reenter FA again next year.

The longer you wait the more desperate some players/agents become. 

I don't know if you ever waited out getting sports or concert tickets, if you sit it out for weeks you will lose out on some opportunities but ultimately you usually end up with a bargain.  

52 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I thought he was very good filling in for Henry....and I'd love to see a big, pounding back come here. 

I actually actively DON'T want this.  I don't want there to be any reason to stay a run-first or even run-balanced team.  Apart from the Titans, no team currently is able to do that with success. Even the Colts, with Wentz, which had either the best or second best running game in the league and a good defense couldn't make the playoffs playing that style of offense.

I want them to load up on speed, spread teams out, and sling the ball all over the field.  Then they can be creative with the running game off of that.  I'm not suggesting they SHOULDN'T run the ball, they should, but they shouldn't try to be a "manhood issue" run the ball up the gut type of team which they became halfway through last season.  

Think about the way the "Greatest show on Turf" Rams used Faulk, or the early Peyton Manning Colt's used James.  

Both teams could run the hell out of the ball.  But they weren't "straight ahead - power running" teams.  They used a lot of stretch-zone and draws which complemented the pass games perfectly.

Now, I'll grant you, Faulk and James are Hall of Famers.  And a big reason the teams COULD run those style of offenses is because of how good they were.  And we don't have that.  

But, I think that's the mold they should be looking for.  

I do agree they do need another back, and another back who can run with power.  But Gibson can already run with some power.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I actually actively DON'T want this.  I don't want there to be any reason to stay a run-first or even run-balanced team.  Apart from the Titans, no team currently is able to do that with success. Even the Colts, with Wentz, which had either the best or second best running game in the league and a good defense couldn't make the playoffs playing that style of offense.

I want them to load up on speed, spread teams out, and sling the ball all over the field.  Then they can be creative with the running game off of that.  I'm not suggesting they SHOULDN'T run the ball, they should, but they shouldn't try to be a "manhood issue" run the ball up the gut type of team which they became halfway through last season.  

Think about the way the "Greatest show on Turf" Rams used Faulk, or the early Peyton Manning Colt's used James.  

Both teams could run the hell out of the ball.  But they weren't "straight ahead - power running" teams.  They used a lot of stretch-zone and draws which complemented the pass games perfectly.

Now, I'll grant you, Faulk and James are Hall of Famers.  And a big reason the teams COULD run those style of offenses is because of how good they were.  And we don't have that.  

But, I think that's the mold they should be looking for.  

I do agree they do need another back, and another back who can run with power.  But Gibson can already run with some power.  

Back in 2017 the Eagles grabbed Lagarrette Blount and they won the SB with him as a complimentary back. He'd do most of his damage in the 2nd half after defenses wore down some. Blount is a 3x SB champ. I don't expect you to agree with me wanting a big back but Blount is a great example of a below the radar signing that played a nice role in his teams winning the SB. If we got someone like him it would take the short yardage pounding off of Gibson, not to mention maybe eliminate some of his fumbling issues. I love Gibson but it's clear he's still working his way into the role of being the bell cow back and some help from a big back would likely make him even better while keeping him more fresh as the season played out. 

12 minutes ago, CommDownMan said:

My refresh finger is primed and ready Jordan. 

That's right, My friend. You're going to need to be focused and ready today. 

Quickly reading through all the tweets...

aye-aye.gif

Constantly hitting refresh.... 

aye-aye-primate.gif?resize=500,280&ssl=1

Only then will you enjoy those juicy scoops hot off the press. 

aye-aye-primate1.gif

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Back in 2017 the Eagles grabbed Lagarrette Blount and they won the SB with him as a complimentary back. He'd do most of his damage in the 2nd half after defenses wore down some. Blount is a 3x SB champ. I don't expect you to agree with me wanting a big back but Blount is a great example of a below the radar signing that played a nice role in his teams winning the SB. If we got someone like him it would take the short yardage pounding off of Gibson, not to mention maybe eliminate some of his fumbling issues. I love Gibson but it's clear he's still working his way into the role of being the bell cow back and some help from a big back would likely make him even better while keeping him more fresh as the season played out. 

My argument is we shouldn't have a bell cow, run the ball 20 times a game back.

We should have the ability to run the ball with a variety of players. 

The thing I think I admired most about those early Colts teams with Peyton, and again, they had James, so they absolutely had a bell cow, HOF RB who could run for power, but their 6 minute offense was absolute lethal. And they did it differently than everybody else, and I still don't think anybody has really done it the way they did it.

They still ran a no-huddle offense (which was their base) and allowed Peyton to call the plays from the LOS.  But he was smart enough not to snap the ball until the play clock was under 5 seconds.  They still mixed run and pass.  They were probably 60% run, 40% pass.  But because of this, defenses could not load up and stack 8 or 9 guys in the box to stop the run.  

It was absolutely magical.  When defenses stacked the box, Peyton would throw, typically to a guy who was open by 10 yards.  When they backed off, they would use James and run it down their throats.  Again, we don't have Peyton NOR James.  So I get that.

But instead of having a guy who can carry the ball 20 times, and another guy who gets 5 carries, I'd prefer to have a guy who gets 10-12 carries (and probably 6-8 targets in the passing game, this would be GIbson), another guy with 8-10 carries and a few targets in the passing game, and a third guy with 4-6 carries but is a bigger factor in the passing game (like Samuel, 4-6 rushes and 8 pass targets.)

That type of distribution gives you amazing balance.  Defenses can't key on one guy, or one play type.  You end up in the same place in terms of carries, but you spread the ball around a lot more, which opens up the field.  

It's preference.  Everybody has their preference.  There are those like (OMG he must have changed his screen name and I don't know what it is now,) but Trythebeal, who would like to run the ball 75% of the time, and on the other 25%, run some more.  :P  And I can appreciate it.  I just subscribe to a different offensive philosophy.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

JP:

Rivera and Mayhew said Cam Sims was a top priority. Looks like it will get done.

I'm ok with Sims coming back. I still hope we take a WR in one of the first 2 rounds though. 

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1