Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

1 minute ago, bowhunter said:

I agree about the Badger, Would be a great addition and certainly would infuse a little flexibility and energy into our D, but I don't think RR is looking for top shelf help in the secondary. However, I'm not sure if B.Wags should be taken off the wish list quite yet. I have no solid data supporting this theory, but I do think RR acknowledges the gaping hole in the middle of our D, and the importance of good LB play

This for sure, he was a Linebackers coach and was a Linebacker when he played in the NFL. He definitely knows the importance of good LB play.

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

We should have the ability to run the ball with a variety of players. 

This is why I'm saying I'd like to add a big back...we'll run the ball with Gibson, Samuel, and whoever else we add....I just love seeing the big backs take over games in the 4th qtr when they're sprinkled in in between Gibson and Samuel carries. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

Just checked web for best available free agents. Lists Honey Badger as still available...I could have sworn I saw a snippet saying he was signed yesterday. Him and Bobby Wagner are atop my list. Add maybe Daryl Williams as a jack of all trades lineman with starting potential

Doesn't re-signing Bobby McCain kind of put a dent in the idea of going for the Honey Badger? Just a guess....I would think we have to sign a LB in this free agent class. 

5 minutes ago, BrentMeisterGeneral said:

Yeh all sounds lovely, but then he doesn't really play and of a season doesn't really produce, so what's the point?

And I don't doubt he has a level of ability, I'm not saying he's awful im just saying if we're looking to progress in the Wide Receiver department Cam Sims clearly isn't the answer to that with a 4 year sample size to back that up

He's a 20-30 catch for 300 to 400 yard guy. And he gets those at 14 yards a catch. For your 5th/6th WR what more are you looking for?

I guess the question is can he develop into the 3rd/4th guy? Probably not and maybe you want someone in that 5th/6th slot who you hope can develop into more - but someone has to beat him out for that roster spot.

2 minutes ago, MartinC said:

He's a 20-30 catch for 300 to 400 yard guy. And he gets those at 14 yards a catch. For your 5th/6th WR what more are you looking for?

I guess the question is can he develop into the 3rd/4th guy? Probably not and maybe you want someone in that 5th/6th slot who you hope can develop into more - but someone has to beat him out for that roster spot.

I guess my point is that after 4 years you should have a good idea of what this guys ceiling is in the NFL, I know that the 5th/6th WR's aren't going to give you mass production, but as you point out can they develop into a 3rd/4th WR? 4 years of Sims the answer is clearly no.

Personally I'd roll the dice elsewhere and see if we can find that natural progression elsewhere

• Thumb up 1

Just now, MartinC said:

Very surprised by this. 

Agree. I’m guessing he wouldn’t take a cut? Extension coming for Payne similar to that Jon Allen got maybe?

Also wonder if we do Collins as a post June 1st. Or maybe he comes back on less money......

1 minute ago, Shakazullo21 said:

Makes me think a signing is imminent.  They don't make cap space unless they want cap space.  They would have cut him prior to the start of free agency if they just wanted to get rid of him outright.

Yep you assume they want that 7mil in cap space. The Cam Sims deal will be more than most expect I reckon.

Just now, Zim489 said:

I legit have no idea what this teams plan is. I just hope they arent clearing space to re sign Payne and/or keep Landon. 

I have literally just posted those as outcomes on the back of that move.....

I don't get the Cam Simms love at all. He seems like the classic Commanders WR over the past decade...tall, athletic and only good in the preseason. He has the physical tools and skillset but he almost never displays them on the field. I know he hasn't had a QB to throw him the ball but I think it speaks volumes that no one is reaching out to sign him and this staff isn't developing him. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MartinC said:

Very surprised by this. 

I’m surprised, but not shocked - that’s a fair bit of cap space for a rotational guy.  Shame he never seemed to get back to his early success.  But man, they’re kind of playing with fire at DT - no backup for Payne and now just Wise behind Allen.

I’m sure it’s not connected, but the timing of the tweets - announcement of Hooper getting released, followed by Ioannidis - makes me wonder…

• Like 3

Just now, Est.1974 said:

Agree. I’m guessing he wouldn’t take a cut? Extension coming for Payne similar to that Jon Allen got maybe?

Also wonder if we do Collins as a post June 1st. Or maybe he comes back on less money......

I would guess this signals they intend to extend Payne and want to go younger and cheaper for depth on the D'Line. But I am surprised we have released Matt AND made no attempt to retain Settle. Thats a lot of quality depth walking out of the door.

Matt was a very good interior rusher as well.

• Like 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, MartinC said:

I would guess this signals they intend to extend Payne and want to go younger and cheaper for depth on the D'Line. But I am surprised we have released Matt AND made no attempt to retain Settle. Thats a lot of quality depth walking out of the door.

Matt was a very good interior rusher as well.

Agree, wonder if they tried to trade him first.

Hopefully it will facilitate a corresponding positive move at a position of greater need.