Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

10 minutes ago, Darth Tater said:

And we don't have a good history when it comes to drafting WR.  Our last high round WR that at least met expectations was Gary Clark (far exceeded in his case, we seem to be boom or bust with high WR picks). While Crowder was an excellent 3 and a good backup to two, Terry has been the last WR we picked that has shown multiple times he can be the 1 and is the first guy we've actually drafted since Clark that has led us in receiving yards for three straight years. For the most part we get top WR production from FAs and trades.

Clark went to the USFL first. We drafted him in the USFL supplemental draft not the NFL draft, so I'm not sure I would count him as a' high round' draft pick.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Darth Tater said:

And we don't have a good history when it comes to drafting WR.  Our last high round WR that at least met expectations was Gary Clark (far exceeded in his case, we seem to be boom or bust with high WR picks). While Crowder was an excellent 3 and a good backup to two, Terry has been the last WR we picked that has shown multiple times he can be the 1 and is the first guy we've actually drafted since Clark that has led us in receiving yards for three straight years. For the most part we get top WR production from FAs and trades.

I can’t saddle this regime with the issues of past regimes, but I do get your point.  

We’d be extremely lucky to have said first rounder turn into a player of Terry’s caliber.  If and when he does, he’ll expect a top of market salary just the same.

This is my biggest issue with the folks who want to cheap out on contracts.  I’m not from the Bruce Allen school of capology where 2 meh players = 1 near top of market player for the same money.  You have to pay your top talent, particularly when they’ve given you no reason not to like Terry. 

Draft picks are unknowns.  We already have folks saying we don’t have enough in the receiver room to begin with, now we are just gonna up and move Terry because he expects to get paid?  Makes no sense to me.

• Thanks 2

If you don't pay Terry then who the hell do you pay? He's talented, proven, durable, has zero character concerns, already a team captain etc. etc. Literally no downside. I don't even mind slightly overpaying him, you know you're getting a player and in a couple years its gonna be a good deal anyway. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

3 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

If you don't pay Terry then who the hell do you pay? He's talented, proven, durable, has zero character concerns, already a team captain etc. etc. Literally no downside. I don't even mind slightly overpaying him, you know you're getting a player and in a couple years its gonna be a good deal anyway. 

Good point....I said a few weeks back that Terry has great leverage in this situation because the team needs to keep their superstars in some part because he's a fan fave and has produced his ass off. Isn't it important to pay your core guys and show the rest of the roster that they'll be rewarded if they produce and work as hard as #17? Team captain, face of the franchise type player? They have to pay him even if it's a slight overpay....they have no #1 WR's if they don't pay him. 

Sorry if this was reported already, per NBCSportsEdge, Commanders free agent DeAndre Carter is visiting the Bears today and Chargers tomorrow.....Carter is 29 years old and caught the first 3 TD's of his career from Washington standout backup QB Taylor Heinicke this season as Heinicke adjusted to an ever changing cast of offensive "weapons". 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Sorry if this was reported already, per NBCSportsEdge, Commanders free agent DeAndre Carter is visiting the Bears today and Chargers tomorrow.....Carter is 29 years old and caught the first 3 TD's of his career from Washington standout backup QB Taylor Heinicke this season as Heinicke adjusted to an ever changing cast of offensive "weapons". 

Id like to have Carter back but if he resigns then we have 7 wideouts plus a potential first round pick. I’d like to see Milne step up or maybe even  Dyami can be our returner. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bowhunter said:

Meanwhile, Alexander Johnson is still a FA. It would be a great move to sign AJ now and deflect the limelight off of Bookkeeping fraud. Remove one more "must have" from draft day and be able to stay within the weighted BPA approach.

Exactly, but what the heck do we know.

1 hour ago, RWJ said:

I get a felling we might see a Williams (Former Panther/Bill OL) signing soon.  Just a feeling. :)  

I think we are going to be active.  Were just waiting for the 6th wave of free agency, post June 1 cuts, post MOTA cuts, post Roster to 75 cuts and the we are going to really get going!!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Not saying this against you, SIP.  You're just posting the info and always appreciated.  :) Please understand. :) Two things:  1.  He'll count against our compensatory picks in 2023.  2.  He'll want more than RR and Co. will want to spend.  I think RR is serious about keeping the compensatory picks we have earned.  

7 hours ago, OMacAttack said:

Faking and booty shaking.

Hey is this Joe? Yeah it's Ron just checking on ya. Okay cool good luck!

This is the line in 2022.  He should trademark that.  I've been using it at work, it always gets a laugh.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, skinsfan93 said:

Id like to have Carter back but if he resigns then we have 7 wideouts plus a potential first round pick. I’d like to see Milne step up or maybe even  Dyami can be our returner. 

The very first time some, 7th round, supplemental, walk on, transfer, has been, bottom of the depth chart Deandre Carter replacement, muffs a punt on the 10 yard line...I will shout from the roof tops that Carter should have been a no brainer signing! Tired of holding my breath for every punt prior to last year. My morning rant.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

The very first time some, 7th round, supplemental, walk on, transfer, has been, bottom of the depth chart Deandre Carter replacement, muffs a punt on the 10 yard line...I will shout from the roof tops that Carter should have been a no brainer signing! Tired of holding my breath for every punt prior to last year. My morning rant.

Im with ya on this, but can Samuel or Brown return punts?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RWJ said:

Not saying this against you, SIP.  You're just posting the info and always appreciated.  :) Please understand. :) Two things:  1.  He'll count against our compensatory picks in 2023.  2.  He'll want more than RR and Co. will want to spend.  I think RR is serious about keeping the compensatory picks we have earned.  

Eh I beg to differ.. Coming into his 13th season, and at 33yrs old he is still a half decent CB. He is also a Maryland native. For the right price I think he could be a good one year rental. I've watched him play the last few years in Pittsburgh because I'm a PA native and he still balls out.

17 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

This is why we're a bad organization. We let emotion rule our personnel decisions. Terry, though very good has an absolute value. If we can sign him for that ,do it.

If we can't come to an agreement, we have to trade him.

4 minutes ago, ZarG3 said:

Eh I beg to differ.. Coming into his 13th season, and at 33yrs old he is still a half decent CB. He is also a Maryland native. For the right price I think he could be a good one year rental. I've watched him play the last few years in Pittsburgh because I'm a PA native and he still balls out.

• He's an UFA and he's looking for big money.  IF he were released he wouldn't count against the compensatory picks for next year.  The two things I mentioned in the post you replied to effect the compensatory picks.  RR wants to hold onto those which has been apparent thus far as we've signed our own players or those who have been released from other teams which don't affect the comp picks for 2023. 

NFL%20178x142%20DarkGrey.png
    JOE HADENDB, UNSIGNED FREE AGENT
    5631.jpg

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports free agent Joe Haden's days with Pittsburgh are "likely over."

The writing has been on the wall for Haden after the Steelers added Levi Wallace and re-signed Arthur Maulet and Ahkello Witherspoon. Haden was healthy for 12 games last year, missing four weeks with a foot injury and spending time on the reserve/COVID list. The three-time Pro Bowler still views himself as a top corner and is holding out for a long-term deal in free agency.

RELATED: 
    SOURCE: ESPN
    Mar 20, 2022, 11:22 AM ET

Haden’s an interesting one for us.  Would be a lot of money we’re paying corners, but on the other hand, Fuller is a FA next year (IIRC), you can never have too many corners, and this potentially allows Del Rio some flexibility with Fuller.

Of course, this could be a matter of trying to convince teams we might be interested in going with a corner in the 1st…