Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

5 minutes ago, Riggodrill44 said:

Are you crazy? Terry should be 60 million guaranteed. 

There is no way he should get paid more than Adams.

But who tf are they paying right now?  We don’t have a franchise QB that we’re breaking the bank on currently, so why hold onto money that will still be there for the foreseeable future?  If Buffalo an give Diggs that contract AFTER extending Josh Allen to that huge deal last offseason, there’s no excuse whatsoever for us to NOT give T-Mac that same kind of deal or better.  At that point, if you decide not to pay T-Mac, or trade him for some picks, you’re going into cheap skate territory as far as not breaking the bank for your own homegrown talent.

Edited by samy316
  • Thumb up 1

22 hours ago, pcbothwel said:

Haden is very much in the 1-2 year at 5-6M range, so he may jeopardize our Comp pick for Settle (~7th?), but dont really care so long as we keep the 3rd.

Timing is everything. If we sign these FA after the draft, they don’t count against the comp formula.

I do believe that’s the strategy Ron is employing .

2 minutes ago, samy316 said:

But who tf are they paying right now?  We don’t have a franchise QB that we’re breaking the bank on currently, so why hold onto money that will still be there for the foreseeable future?  If Buffalo an give Diggs that contract AFTER extending Josh Allen to that huge deal last offseason, there’s no excuse whatsoever for us to NOT give T-Mac that same kind of deal or better.  At that point, if you decide not to pay T-Mac, or trade him for some picks, you’re going into cheap skate territory as far as not breaking the bank for your own homegrown talent.

This thought process is just wrong. 
I understand we should resign our own players, but they still have a value. 

Terry is great, but he’s only a WR1 here. If he played on a team like San Diego, he’s a slot guy. Overpaying just because we like him is the worst thing we can do.

Set a value, stick to it.

• Thumb down 1

11 hours ago, skinsfan93 said:

If Carter gets as much playing time he did last year at wideout, then the season is not going well!

Maybe true, but Carter was invaluable for us last season and he's trying to get what he can here towards the end of his career. I remember really hoping he'd make the roster and he contributed in a lot of ways. He was one of our better performers last season with his versatility. Although, I think I remember him having a huge drop on a deep route against Dallas that killed our chances of a comeback? It was either TH or Allen who put one right in his hands, in stride, and he dropped it. 

The name may have changed, but the mindset of the fanbase in regards to spending cap dollars on our own players remains the same.  The obsession with X player doesn't deserve to make as much or more than Y player is nonsense to me.  It's almost like fans don't realize the cap adjusts every year, and with that contracts get inflated every year.  The highest paid is typically always a reflection of the most recent player to get a deal done.

I won't argue that the #'s aren't wild - we can thank Christian Kirk's agent and Trent Balke for sending the WR market to the moon.  But generally speaking, we watch other teams navigate and manage the salary cap to the extent they can carry top of market QB's, receivers, etc. - so I don't really understand the desire to be conservative with our own.  Yet some of the same posters who want to ship Terry for a first and change because he'll expect a big contract - will be the same people that are angry we don't go gangbusters on day one of free agency spending big money on other teams players.  

Also the narrative that Terry is 'only this' or 'only that' to me is absolutely ridiculous.  He's literally never played with a competent QB since he's been in the league and has been the only feature of several anemic offenses.  You literally have no idea just how good this guy can be because you've never seen him paired with a QB that can force him the football.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

The name may have changed, but the mindset of the fanbase in regards to spending cap dollars on our own players remains the same.  The obsession with X player doesn't deserve to make as much or more than Y player is nonsense to me.  It's almost like fans don't realize the cap adjusts every year, and with that contracts get inflated every year.  The highest paid is typically always a reflection of the most recent player to get a deal done.

I won't argue that the #'s aren't wild - we can thank Christian Kirk's agent and Trent Balke for sending the WR market to the moon.  But generally speaking, we watch other teams navigate and manage the salary cap to the extent they can carry top of market QB's, receivers, etc. - so I don't really understand the desire to be conservative with our own.  Yet some of the same posters who want to ship Terry for a first and change because he'll expect a big contract - will be the same people that are angry we don't go gangbusters on day one of free agency spending big money on other teams players.  

Also the narrative that Terry is 'only this' or 'only that' to me is absolutely ridiculous.  He's literally never played with a competent QB since he's been in the league and has been the only feature of several anemic offenses.  You literally have no idea just how good this guy can be because you've never seen him paired with a QB that can force him the football.

Yep, Terry also needs help on the other side of the field to be even better. Get him a sidekick #2 WR and the potential is endless. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Riggodrill44 said:

This thought process is just wrong. 
I understand we should resign our own players, but they still have a value. 

Terry is great, but he’s only a WR1 here. If he played on a team like San Diego, he’s a slot guy. Overpaying just because we like him is the worst thing we can do.

LOL, cmon dude.  Don’t insult Terry like that.  Has it ever occurred to you that Terry might be just as talented as Adams or Diggs, but he’s just been surrounded with terrible, trash-ass QB’s since he’s been drafted?  If you listen to

and watch NFL experts, they’d tell you that Terry is a true WR1, and a definitive top 10

WR.  Espousing the company line about players having a value doesn’t hit the mark

in this instance.  Why are we so afraid to

pay players who deserve to be paid, ESPECIALLY players like Terry who deserve it?

We have so few stars on this team, yet we would be willing to let one of the few fan favorites on this team walk?  It’s so Washington if this happens.  Check our draft history dude.  We’re horrific at drafting WR’s (among other positions such as QB).  Terry is the only WR to hit for us since the posse.  You think we’re just going to draft another Terry if we let him walk through that door?  LOL.  We also

can’t attract FA’s now, because FA’s know what a disaster this team is.  If we keep letting home grown talent walk through the door, that will send a terrible message about our team that’s already thought of as a laughingstock and a nuclear tire fire.

One more thing, I don’t know if you’ve paid attention to what’s gone on this offseason, but the great teams are opening up their wallets to sign players that they believe will help them compete for SB’s.  The Rams, Bucs, and other playoff teams have greatly improved their teams through FA, AND these teams have been able to sign their own players back to deals.  Our way of operating business won’t be successful, because we can’t attract FA’s to come here.  Now you want to hinder that even further by letting the few stars we have here walk.  How the hell are we going to be a contender under Ron, if we can’t get people to sign here, AND we’re letting homegrown talent walk?

Edited by samy316
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Jericho said:

Who are you counting in this WR group? To me the depth chart is:

1: McLaurin

2:

3: Samuel

4: Brown

5: Sims

6: ???

There is no #2 receiver on this team. That could be a draft pick. Maybe even that's the plan. After that, you have 4 guys who seems pretty safe. And then there's a battle for the last spot. A guy like Milne probably has the edge there. If Carter re-signed, then that could bump Milne or the team could keep 7 WRs like they did at the beginning of last year (before Samuel was "officially" constantly hurt). But it's not like the team has too many NFL level players at the position. 

I keep seeing a few people says this, but comp picks aren't settled after the draft. There's an easy work around for comp picks post draft and it's called tendering the player an offer. So even if a player stays unsigned til May and then avoids a tender, then maybe you can avoid the comp pick compensation. But, at that point, virtually no one is left.

Curtis Samuel is the #2. He has been very healthy in his career up to last season, if he is healthy next season he will add a real weapon to the offense - he is very good. He is also being paid as the #2 ($12M cap hit). These are #2 numbers and he was ascending - up until he signed for us ... (he had 200 yards rushing for the Panthers in 2020 as well). We do need to add another weapon though, someone who can play outside might allow us to use Samuel inside more and as the motion guy. If Samuel became the #3 we would be in really really good shape at WR.

GP REC TGTS YDS AVG TD LNG FD FUM LST
9 15 26 115 7.7 0 23 6 0 0
13 39 65 494 12.7 5 53 24 0 0
16 54 105 627 11.6 6 44 36 0 0
15 77 97 851 11.1 3 44 39 1 0
5 6 9 27 4.5 0 10 4 0 0
58 191 302 2,114 11.1 14 53 109 1 0

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 2

49 minutes ago, Riggodrill44 said:

You have GOT to be joking. Terry is a top 15 WR in the NFL - he would be WR#1 for at least half the teams in the league. 

Most importantly he is head and shoulders the WR#1 in Washington and one of the few true elite level player on the team - and he's also a (if not the) team leader. His value to this team is significant.

• Like 7

Terry is a bonafide WR1 and doesn't "need" a WR2 to make him better, although of course that helps.

He needed a QB who can hit him when he's open. Which he generally is.

He will get paid, by us, after June 1rst and I'm sure him and his agent know that.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, samy316 said:

LOL, cmon dude.  Don’t insult Terry like that.  Has it ever occurred to you that Terry might be just as talented as Adams or Diggs, but he’s just been surrounded with terrible, trash-ass QB’s since he’s been drafted?  If you listen to

and watch NFL experts, they’d tell you that Terry is a true WR1, and a definitive top 10

WR.  Espousing the company line about players having a value doesn’t hit the mark

in this instance.  Why are we so afraid to

pay players who deserve to be paid, ESPECIALLY players like Terry who deserve it?

We have so few stars on this team, yet we would be willing to let one of the few fan favorites on this team walk?  It’s so Washington if this happens.  Check our draft history dude.  We’re horrific at drafting WR’s (among other positions such as QB).  Terry is the only WR to hit for us since the posse.  You think we’re just going to draft another Terry if we let him walk through that door?  LOL.  We also

can’t attract FA’s now, because FA’s know what a disaster this team is.  If we keep letting home grown talent walk through the door, that will send a terrible message about our team that’s already thought of as a laughingstock and a nuclear tire fire.

One more thing, I don’t know if you’ve paid attention to what’s gone on this offseason, but the great teams are opening up their wallets to sign players that they believe will help them compete for SB’s.  The Rams, Bucs, and other playoff teams have greatly improved their teams through FA, AND these teams have been able to sign their own players back to deals.  Our way of operating business won’t be successful, because we can’t attract FA’s to come here.  Now you want to hinder that even further by letting the few stars we have here walk.  How the hell are we going to be a contender under Ron, if we can’t get people to sign here, AND we’re letting homegrown talent walk?

Did I ever say to not pay our own players? Still, the best way to run the team would be to not overpay guys just because we like them.

Terry, because he hasn’t had a great QB, gets paid but definitely not at the top of the market.

Adams got 65 million guaranteed, Diggs got 70, Hill got 72. No way in hell is Terry in this neighborhood. 

14 minutes ago, MartinC said:

You have GOT to be joking. Terry is a top 15 WR in the NFL - he would be WR#1 for at least half the teams in the league. 

Most importantly he is head and shoulders the WR#1 in Washington and one of the few true elite level player on the team - and he's also a (if not the) team leader. His value to this team is significant.

Who would Terry start over if he suited up for Dallas last year?

On the outside?
He would have been the slot guy, that’s just the truth of the situation.

4 minutes ago, Riggodrill44 said:

Did I ever say to not pay our own players? Still, the best way to run the team would be to not overpay guys just because we like them.

Terry, because he hasn’t had a great QB, gets paid but definitely not at the top of the market.

Adams got 65 million guaranteed, Diggs got 70, Hill got 72. No way in hell is Terry in this neighborhood. 

On the outside?

I think he starts over Lamb. Lamb in the slot.

But that's one team even IF we give it to you.

He'd be the #1 on:

Philly

Giants

Washington

Detroit

Falcons

Panthers

Saints

Niners

Texans

Colts

Jags

Dolphins

Patriots

Jets

Broncos

Ravens

Browns

Steelers

more than half the league.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Riggodrill44 said:

On the outside?

Bro... noooo... terry is better then Cooper, Gallup and Lamb.  

8 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I think he starts over Lamb. Lamb in the slot.

But that's one team even IF we give it to you.

He'd be the #1 on:

Philly

Giants

Washington

Detroit

Falcons

Panthers

Saints

Niners

Texans

Colts

Jags

Dolphins

Patriots

Jets

Broncos

Ravens

Browns

Steelers

more than half the league.

There are some teams on this list that he would be an upgrade, not all though.

4 minutes ago, NeverSurrender said:

Bro... noooo... terry is better then Cooper, Gallup and Lamb.  

He maybe starts over Gallup, but he isn’t starting over Cooper or Lamb…. That’s just not happening.

Just now, KDawg said:

All of them. 

No, not all

12 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

@Conn it's not about consistently doing this or that in regards to Carter, we finally found someone who filled a need we've had for a long time, in my mind, he was clearly worth an exception to what point you are trying to make. 

We've been trying to find somebody off the street like him for years, now we finally find him, and the plan is to let him go in hopes of finding another one? How long will that take? Is it really worth it to find out?

The counter point to this is they found Carter, they have a number for him, he wants a bigger number, and they believe they can find the next Carter after the draft (or maybe during) if he wants more than they are willing to spend.  

A good and competent FO should be able to find a punt/kick returner who is competent in every off-season, and pay them basically the minimum.  I am willing to bet money they have their eyes on at least a few guys they can target and would feel good about, either in FA or the draft, if Carter gets more than they are willing to spend on a kick/punt returner.

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

The "Ron is protecting a 3rd round comp pick, instead of improving the team" thing was funny at first, but I think some people are actually starting to believe that bull****.  :ols:

I would hope they have at least discussed it.  I would be very disappointed if it's really effecting their thought process.  And I really don't think it is.

I think the reason they haven't gone crazy in FA with big money moves is:

1. They want to sign Terry to a long term deal.

2. They want to sign Payne to a long term deal.

3. They are 1 year away from having Sweat on a 5th year option

4. They still are not entirely sure what they are doing at QB, so they need to keep some cap room available to attempt something else bold next off-season if the Wentz thing goes south.

58 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

AGGs fate was sealed when we re-uped Sims. He's fodder.

AGG's fate was sealed when he couldn't make the team out of TC last year.  That was a bad pick.  It happens.  You win some, you lose some, and that was definitely a loss.

As an aside, the 2020 draft is interesting.  It really all hinges on if Young gets his head out of his ass and matures into the player he should be.

But in that draft they also got:

3rd round: Gibson (this has worked out very well)

4th round: Saadiq Charles (Jury is still out, but looks like his ceiling might be backup swing guard.  Not awful for the 4th round.  But not what they were hoping for either.)

4th round: AGG (this is a huge flop)

5th round: Keith Ismael (As far as I know he's still on the team.  Though I think he's the third string backup center behind Rouiller and Larsen. Not bad for a 5th round pick)

5th round: Khaleke Hudson (Still on the team as far as I know.  Backup.)

7th round: Cam Kurl (HUGE hit)

7th round: James Smith-Williams (backup edge defender.  Not bad)

So, I think the one player from that draft which is a huge bust is AGG.  I'd argue you probably wanted more from Charles.  But as a 4th round pick, it's not a huge bust. 

From the 5th round down, you found one gem, some contributors.  That's not bad. 

Compared to the 2019 draft, it's outstanding.  The 2019 draft is also mixed, but I think you'd have to say it wasn't a great look:

1st: Haskins (Bust)

1st: Sweat (Starter)

3rd: Terry (Stud)

4th: Love (Bust)

4th: Martin (Bust)

5th: Ross Pierschbaker (never contributed, gone)

5th: Holcomb (Starter)

6th: Harmon (Bad luck with the injury, but already gone)

7th: Moreland (kindof weird for the reason, but gone.)

7th: Brailford (I don't think he's with the team anymore)

Now, as we all know, Haskins goes on Dan's room bill.  The crown jewel is obviously Terry.  Sweat has been "Good" but has he been "trade back up into the first round" good? I don't know.  I'd say probably not.  At least not yet.  Holcomb has been a "good" starter.  But he's not a probowl level starter, and while he's somebody who would probably make a lot of NFL rosters, I don't know how many he'd actually start on. 

For the number of picks, at best this class is "inconsistent" and I'd say the grade is probably a C- or so.  And the only reason it gets to that level is because of Terry.  And that's WITH taking Haskins out of the equation entirely.  If you include Haskins, it's probably no better than a D.  When the 15th overall pick doesn't last 2 seasons, I think the highest grade you can give a draft is probably "C" and then you go down from there.  

The 2021 draft is WAY too early to tell.  We will have an early view on it after this season.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Riggodrill44 said:

He maybe starts over Gallup, but he isn’t starting over Cooper or Lamb…. That’s just not happening.

No, not all

Okay then tell me who isn’t so I can explain why I believe you’re wrong instead of coming here with vague answers.

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Okay then tell me who isn’t so I can explain why I believe you’re wrong instead of coming here with vague answers.

He’s not starting over Cooper in Cleveland.

Thomas Saints.

Moore Panthers

Samuels 49’s

Waddle Miami(?) because he’s a rookie.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1