Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

6 hours ago, LetMeSeeYourWarFace21 said:

Kirk Cousins, Trent Williams, & Brendan Scherrf all walked and we got nothing back. That trend has to stop NOW. I cant sit through that **** again. If we are unable to keep McClaurin and we let him walk without getting anything back, that may be the straw that breaks the camels back. I'm turning in my fan card. 

If we get anywhere near Franchise Tag territory, TRADE HIS ASS........

No one disagrees with this. My point is, sign the man yesterday. Show him you value him, don’t let this fester, end the conversation. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

No one disagrees with this. My point is, sign the man yesterday. Show him you value him, don’t let this fester, end the conversation. 

Man honestly, when its all said and done, McClaurin's not gonna care how quickly we extended him, he's going to remember the size of the contract we offered him. That's how you show how much you value an NFL player. If its more financially beneficial for us to wait until after June 1st to sign him, then so be it.

And if the fans have anxiety attacks during that time, that's not the front offices problem. Wake me when the season starts. If game 1 comes around and Terry is still not extended, then I'll worry. For now, it's April, relax......

Edited by LetMeSeeYourWarFace21
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

50 minutes ago, woodpecker said:

Add in the 200 yards rushing and he was basically a 1000 yard receiver. Agree he’s at least a potential viable #2 if healthy. Surprised some think there is no chance of that. I’d like to see more before writing him off.

Some people think you need three all pros to have a successful air attack, but truth is we haven't had a legit QB who could consistently push the ball down the field, so evaluating anyone is tough.

Samuel's, Sims and Brown have the potential to fill in very well at the WR2&3 roles this season. It's not a dire need to fill, unless were looking for a WR1 to fill Terry's shoes and I very much doubt that.

• Like 6
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

47 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Some people think you need three all pros to have a successful air attack, but truth is we haven't had a legit QB who could consistently push the ball down the field, so evaluating anyone is tough.

Samuel's, Sims and Brown have the potential to fill in very well at the WR2&3 roles this season. It's not a dire need to fill, unless were looking for a WR1 to fill Terry's shoes and I very much doubt that.

I agree there’s potential with this group.  I think it’s also fair to be a bit leery of “potential” though.  Granted, a rookie (even a 1st rounder) is all potential as well, but it’s different than hoping for legit production from an UDFA (Sims) or semi-raw 3rd rounder.  I think it’s also fair to think hedging our gamble on Wentz by providing him more weapons makes a lot of sense*.  If Terry misses time, this isn’t a group that gives me hope they can mitigate that loss.  None of them give me hope they can draw coverage from Terry either (make teams pay for doubling/bracketing Terry on a consistent basis)… though it’s possible.

*I can also see the argument for helping/supporting Wentz by (further) beefing up the oline and/or defense (and adding a talented back/TE later in the draft, or in FA)

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I agree there’s potential with this group.  I think it’s also fair to be a bit leery of “potential” though.  Granted, a rookie (even a 1st rounder) is all potential as well, but it’s different than hoping for legit production from an UDFA (Sims) or semi-raw 3rd rounder.  I think it’s also fair to think hedging our gamble on Wentz by providing him more weapons makes a lot of sense*.  If Terry misses time, this isn’t a group that gives me hope they can mitigate that loss.  None of them give me hope they can draw coverage from Terry either (make teams pay for doubling/bracketing Terry on a consistent basis)… though it’s possible.

*I can also see the argument for helping/supporting Wentz by (further) beefing up the oline and/or defense (and adding a talented back/TE later in the draft, or in FA)

I'd definitely like to add more firepower, but how many teams aren't hurt by losing their WR1? If Cupp or Chase went down, I dont think you're seeing those teams in the superbowl. Just another reason to pay Terry. Its amazing he stayed as healthy as he did, considering all the murder balls he was thrown. 

Terry's deal gets done.  RR and Co. are not that naive!  Yes, they missed on Jamin but you don't miss on a proven WR that has been durable and has over 1000 yards two years in a row and is the best player on the team.  

40 minutes ago, RabidFan said:

What's the point of being able to declare someone a post June cut distinction if you can reap the benefits of clearing it off the cap early?   That makes no sense to me.

Might be stating the obvious here, but it’s for the player’s benefit - so players aren’t stuck waiting until June to be cut and therefore dealing with a depressed market (because most FA dollars are spent by then).

With that said, I’m not sure why the saved money isn’t made available at the time of the cut.  I suppose I could see it being a Player’s Association thing - hoping the delay in money saved leads to more teams hanging onto pricier guys.  I haven’t fully thought that out though, just a guess.

1 hour ago, Chris 44 said:

I find it interesting that none of them were drafted in the 1st round

Kupp   3rd

McLaurin  3rd

Metcalf   2nd

Brown   2nd

Samuel   2nd

Johnson   3rd

That is interesting. I think Jamar Chase and Jefferson working out is making people think it’s a good idea to draft receivers in the first round again. Maybe so but Jefferson I think was a rare exception, and Chase was a can’t miss talent unmatched by anybody in this draft. If there was a Ja’Marr Chase like talent in this draft, he wouldn’t be falling to 11. Not saying you can’t draft a receiver in the first round, but I really don’t want to reach for one.

1 minute ago, woodpecker said:

That is interesting. I think Jamar Chase and Jefferson working out is making people think it’s a good idea to draft receivers in the first round again. Maybe so but Jefferson I think was a rare exception, and Chase was a can’t miss talent unmatched by anybody in this draft. If there was a Ja’Marr Chase like talent in this draft, he wouldn’t be falling to 11. Not saying you can’t draft a receiver in the first round, but I really don’t want to reach for one.

If I had the time and effort I would like to research the highest paid players by position and see how it matches up compared to draft position and see if WR is an outlier? 

28 minutes ago, woodpecker said:

That is interesting. I think Jamar Chase and Jefferson working out is making people think it’s a good idea to draft receivers in the first round again.

Ceedee Lamb is doing pretty well for a 1st rounder. Definitely not at those guys’ level though 

• Like 1

That's a big reason that I'm moving towards the trade back kind of far mind set, more and more.

The top 15 of the draft should be for QBs, OTs, Pass rushers and CBs almost exclusively, except for the elite guys like Jamar Chase.

Strangely, we are in good position to not "need" any of those positions. I could see a shot at a non premium position like Hamilton or Lloyd, being that they're the unicorns at a position of need, but most starting LBers are drafted after round one and certainly not top 15. That's rare. I have to assume that the prospects that play those 4 premium positions are going to continue to move towards the front of the draft the closer it gets.

I really want GBs 2 firsts and a 3rd. That allows us to draft some of the top guys at not primary positions, like RB, WR, LB and DB where BPA, meets need, meets positional value.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

52 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

I feel like agents are instructing their clients to do this sort of thing that Deebo is doing. See it all the time now.

Agreed. I genuinely don’t see Mclaurin playing this season for 3mil without all those future guarantees agreed with us...or someone else...

4 hours ago, RWJ said:

Terry's deal gets done.  RR and Co. are not that naive!  Yes, they missed on Jamin but you don't miss on a proven WR that has been durable and has over 1000 yards two years in a row and is the best player on the team.  

Jamin played out of position all year. They didn't draft him to play MLB but gave him a shot after Bostic went to IR. Pretty savy move actually, he gets real time reps as a rookie and with his range and coverage skills he gains position flex so if called upon in the future to go back inside at least he's not a deer in headlights as he was last year. Dudes not a bust and will ball out this year at his natural position.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheBlueIndian said:

Jamin played out of position all year. They didn't draft him to play MLB but gave him a shot after Bostic went to IR. Pretty savy move actually, he gets real time reps as a rookie and with his range and coverage skills he gains position flex so if called upon in the future to go back inside at least he's not a deer in headlights as he was last year. Dudes not a bust and will ball out this year at his natural position.  

We shall see. I certainly hope so. He was a 1st round draft pick. 

Edited by RWJ