Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

Quite frankly, I dont care how Haden "Views" himself. Here are a list of FA CB's over the last 2-3 years.

2022:

Casey Hayward (33) - 2/11M

Patrick Peterson (32) - 1/4M

2021:

Janoris Jenkins (32) - 2/15M

Xavier Rhodes (31) - 1/5M

Patrick Peterson (32) - 1/8M

Haden is very much in the 1-2 year at 5-6M range, so he may jeopardize our Comp pick for Settle (~7th?), but dont really care so long as we keep the 3rd.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

A 33-yr old declining CB that wants a LTD. This is a Vinny Cerrato special.

Yes, he is declining but I was explaining the poster about how the compensatory picks are affected.  For all we know the tweet about Commander's interest is click bait. 

Edited by RWJ
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Yes, he is declining but I was explaining the poster about how the compensatory picks are affected.  For all we know the tweet about Commander's interest is click bait. 

Conversation went something like "You want how much? And you DID NOT play for the Panthers at any point in your career?"

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Riggodrill44 said:

This is why we're a bad organization. We let emotion rule our personnel decisions. Terry, though very good has an absolute value. If we can sign him for that ,do it.

If we can't come to an agreement, we have to trade him.

Little bit of a contradiction believing a player has a certain value but expecting another team to exceed that value with draft picks and salary compensation. 

We don't have the luxury of being stacked with impact players, whatever Terry is worth to another team he's certainly worth to us, especially considering he's homegrown.

With how hard we are protecting that comp pick, I don't seeing us blowing it for a short term rental at any position, and that is what Haden is right now.

It would have to be a multi year, impact player, otherwise it would not be worth it and you sat out the meat of Free Agency for nothing. Without that, your better off waiting out the comp pick effect period at this point.

1 year of anyone available is not favorable over an extra 3 next yr, especially since we have already dolled one of those picks away and are behind the 8 ball on that front already.

No thanx to Haden. If he is still hanging around after the draft and I did not address CB, I'll think about it again, but not now.

Edited by FootballZombie

NFL Rumors

@nflrums

#NFLRumors Washington Commanders are expected to have interest in Steelers Joe Haden and Vikings Patrick Peterson. #TakeCommand

3:00 pm · 26 Feb 2022·Twitter Web App

This was posted back in Feb. The Peterson one was again mentioned when he re-signed with the Vikings. 

However, I think we want Bradberry. Him being linked to a trade with the Chiefs has been knocked back today. I hope the Giants release him.

The Kansas City Chiefs were previously reported to have an interest in making a trade for New York Giants CB James Bradberry, but that seems to not be the case.

According to NFL Network’s Jeffri Chadiha, the Chiefs are denying any interest and involvement in those trade talks. Specifically, the team doesn’t have interest in taking on a $13.4 million salary-cap hit for the 2022 NFL season.

“The talk about the Chiefs looking to trade for Giants CB James Bradberry isn’t serious,” Chadiha wrote on Twitter. “A Chiefs source says the team hasn’t been involved with that and don’t plan on getting involved. They don’t want to take on Bradberry’s $13.4 million salary.”

16 hours ago, skinsfan93 said:

Id like to have Carter back but if he resigns then we have 7 wideouts plus a potential first round pick. I’d like to see Milne step up or maybe even  Dyami can be our returner. 

Who are you counting in this WR group? To me the depth chart is:

1: McLaurin

2:

3: Samuel

4: Brown

5: Sims

6: ???

There is no #2 receiver on this team. That could be a draft pick. Maybe even that's the plan. After that, you have 4 guys who seems pretty safe. And then there's a battle for the last spot. A guy like Milne probably has the edge there. If Carter re-signed, then that could bump Milne or the team could keep 7 WRs like they did at the beginning of last year (before Samuel was "officially" constantly hurt). But it's not like the team has too many NFL level players at the position. 

24 minutes ago, MrJL said:

put our interest out there, and next month, after the draft and comp picks are settled then maybe we sign him

I keep seeing a few people says this, but comp picks aren't settled after the draft. There's an easy work around for comp picks post draft and it's called tendering the player an offer. So even if a player stays unsigned til May and then avoids a tender, then maybe you can avoid the comp pick compensation. But, at that point, virtually no one is left.

2 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

He checks all the boxes. Or at least the only one that seems to matter.

image.jpeg.0742f157c406d506b946a9ac3088ec00.jpeg

To be balanced I think he’d be an excellent signing. Giants just restructured Adore Jackson’s deal but they are still screwed on cap space, needing a reported 16mil in space for rookies alone, assuming they don’t trade back.

9 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

He checks all the boxes. Or at least the only one that seems to matter.

image.jpeg.0742f157c406d506b946a9ac3088ec00.jpeg

Reminds me of Bills fans just a couple of years ago. They were adamant that Beane, McDermmott and Pegula would only sign players that were overt Christians. They even thought it was perhaps the reason they drafted Allen.

Then the Bills started winning and life became better.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Jericho said:

Who are you counting in this WR group? To me the depth chart is:

1: McLaurin

2:

3: Samuel

4: Brown

5: Sims

6: ???

AGG is still on the roster and you don’t have Dax so if we resign Carter that’s 7 receivers. After we draft one that’s 8 receivers and usually we go with 7 on the 53. 

If you look at my posts last year before cuts, I was an advocate for keeping Carter. I didn’t trust a 7th round wideout as our returner. As a punt returner Carter is very good. No one makes a difference on kick off returns since most of the time the ball goes through the end zone and taking it on the 25 is better anyway. As a receiver Carter is average at best. I like his grit and competitiveness but he’s not gonna run away from anyone (40 time is avg). 

Why pay him a couple million when we can use that to resign Terry? Plus there’s always guys off the street or a rookie free agent that may have a good camp. I wish him well but think it’s better to pass. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dyst said:

How the **** do you let Carter leave. We haven’t had a good KR in decades and we find one who can actually catch the ball and play WR. They need to sign him. 

He’s a career journeyman who hit his highs with us. He was good at what we asked him to do but an organization that can find unheralded talent and then discard it for the next cheap reclamation project will do better than being the team that consistently pays guys after they have an outlier season during a contract year. For some players it’s a risk worth taking when they show real talent—Logan Thomas at TE for instance, a high impact position where when a guy breaks out, you can usually trust that he’s just finally developed due to the learning curve. But a KR who contributed less than 400 yards of offense (yes including some clutch plays in a lost season, but still)?

Find the next Carter unless he’s super cheap imo. I’m guessing they gave him a firm number and he’s trying to see if other teams will beat it. If it’s by a substantial amount I’m fine with them moving on. He’s been on either a 5th round rookie contract or a vet min type FA deal his whole career, I’m sure he’s trying to cash in as much as he can, and I hope he succeeds. But if it’s too much for a KR then it’s too much for a KR. We can’t let our miserable history at the position color our perceptions of what that’s actually worth in the grand scheme of things. I’m curious what he’s asking for and what we’re competing against. 

Our fanbase just gets so attached to these above average guys who over-deliver here because it so rarely has happened for us lol. But this coaching staff has shown a propensity for creating this sort of success story out of journeymen again and again. We have to lean into that strength if it saves us notable cap dollars imo, we have very few edges and that may actually be one. Is it a notable amount of $$? That remains to be seen. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 4
  • Thumb up 3

@Conn it's not about consistently doing this or that in regards to Carter, we finally found someone who filled a need we've had for a long time, in my mind, he was clearly worth an exception to what point you are trying to make. 

We've been trying to find somebody off the street like him for years, now we finally find him, and the plan is to let him go in hopes of finding another one? How long will that take? Is it really worth it to find out?

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

22 minutes ago, dyst said:

How the **** do you let Carter leave. We haven’t had a good KR in decades and we find one who can actually catch the ball and play WR. They need to sign him. 

If Carter gets as much playing time he did last year at wideout, then the season is not going well!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dyst said:

Again, it takes two to make a deal. Who says Carter wants to be here?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Diggs just re-upped with Buffalo for 4 years with 70M guaranteed.

There's the Terry bar. 

Someone educate me because Im sure I am over simplifying this and missing something in my equation, but at 17.5 per year.....sign Terry now!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

Someone educate me because Im sure I am over simplifying this and missing something in my equation, but at 17.5 per year.....sign Terry now!

That's just the guaranteed money. Diggs signed for 4 years 96M. 70 guaranteed.

Here's Info on Adams new contract:

Davante Adams signed a 5 year, $140,000,000 contract with the Las Vegas Raiders, including a $19,250,000 signing bonus, $65,670,000 guaranteed

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, skinsfan93 said:

AGG is still on the roster and you don’t have Dax so if we resign Carter that’s 7 receivers. After we draft one that’s 8 receivers and usually we go with 7 on the 53. 

I did include Dax, but just as a maybe. AGG was cut last year and spent much of the season on the practice squad. So he's far from a lock. I think AGG and Milne are competing for one spot. And while the team could keep 7 WRs, I think that only happens if one of them is a returner.