Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - Tampa Tom vs The Legend of Taylor Heinicke: The Rematch

TK

20 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

I saw him out there and I love his potential. He is not a "star" but he is the niles paul like glue guy every team needs. His blocking is great, he is a constant on special teams and he has the chance to contribute a little bit as a receiver, especially in an injury environment.

Loved the pick when we made it. Everything does not need to be flashy, need those lunch-pail guys who get dirty.

Plus he had his rookie "protect the football" moment today w/o hurting us. He valued the ball like a Bitcoin wallet on his next catch.

image.jpeg.18ef8800e6ccfed59fc8e2f652787ae1.jpeg

: )

2 hours ago, Reaper Skins said:

Anyone have video of McLaurin's full catch at the end?  Any highlights I've seen always cut off before they show him getting up and celebrating

here's the full final drive the play in question starts at about 12:05

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

48 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

Is there a reason Humphries is getting limited time.....I don't get it.

I dont think he is getting limited time.  He's consistently in on 60-70% of the snaps, which is 2nd behind Mclaurin for the WRs. Heinicke doesn't look for him, which is different.

Edited by justice98

43 minutes ago, MrJL said:

here's the full final drive the play in question starts at about 12:05

That was one hell of a drive.  Big play by Gibson on one of the first downs where he gets contacted two yards behind the line, but turns it into a second and 7.  A lot of really composed plays by Heinicke especially on third down.

4 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I think they’re playing Milne a lot because they want Milne to replace Hump next year.

Milne needs to not fumble in order to make they desire a reality. 

You're not wrong, but he had both hands on it. The other guys get paid to make plays as well....I don't see that fumble as completely due to his negligence.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, SpacePenguin said:

You're not wrong, but he had both hands on it. The other guys get paid to make plays as well....I don't see that fumble as completely due to his negligence.

That's how I see it to.

It's more like a great defensive play than a mistake by Milne to me.

You can see him on the replay putting both arms around the ball just prior to David punching the ball loose.

Maybe his left arm could have been put better under the ball, but I wouldn't hold much against Milne for this fumble. Just coach it up and see if he can overcome that.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Ok, But I’d also like to point out until the last drive Gibby was 11 carries for 15 yards, basically 1.5 yards per carry.  

He had a few good runs late in the game to make the overall numbers look Less awful.  

Some of this is on Scott Turner’s obsession with running for no yards on first down. 

I thought Gibson had some good runs, but the only reason the offense worked is because they kept on converting 3rd downs after the running game out them behind the sticks on first down. 

We average over 5 yards a carry on first down and it sets up plays like the PA roll out later in the game. When teams stop our running game on first down, we've changed it up. 

Even the announcers made the point in this game that you're going to be running into a wall often in this game and you have to keep doing it, because you can't run outside, because their players are too fast and athletic, which we saw when we did run outside and you don't want to just abandon the run all together.

We left our highly ranked Oline attack the guys in front of them and tried banging Gibson through it and I'd say by the end of the game, they certainly looked like they got handled. We are not faster, so we were stronger and it worked.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I think they’re playing Milne a lot because they want Milne to replace Hump next year.

Milne needs to not fumble in order to make they desire a reality. 

He was a 7th round rookie in a big game doing what he could to secure the ball, while being hit by an all pro MLB that is notorious for getting loose balls. It's gonna happen. 

The Bates fumble was just funny to watch and I bet the team enjoys that in the film rooms this week.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Didn’t give the game much thought before yesterday. Totally unexpected shock victory. 

Got to love a closing 10 minute drive to effectively see the game out. Recall us running out the clock in Philadelphia several years ago with Portis smashing the Eagles to submission. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, purbeast said:

Gibsons first goal line TD is one of my favorite TD's this whole season.  The drive and push after it looked like he was mad short was just awesome to watch and a team effort to push that pile.

Short yardage is so different now. The refs don't blow the play dead like they used to, which allows OL to push the pile into the end zone. Not a fan of this really, they don't give the defense much of a chance.  

12 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

So you think that’s going to be effective every week against every team?

Or even most teams?

I wouldn’t bank on that.

Yes I do, and no I'm not banking on Turner doing that with TH. I watch Jaylen Hurts constantly using his legs and it opens the door to everything he does while putting major pressure on defenses. TH seems to like playing while on the move and it's certainly when he's most dangerous. I loved the play action roll outs, make the defense chase him for 4 qtrs. and wear them down. 

I don't see how you can even question this. In fact, if TH hadn't given himself up at the goal line of the Packers game I think we have a great chance to win that game and that was a play where he was on the move. 

Back in preseason, Willie McGinnist, former Patriots LB, raved about TH and his scrambling/running ability. He called TH a "nightmare" because of all the things a defense has to worry about when playing him. I'd go as far as to say that asking TH to sit in the pocket and pick defenses apart is one of the things he looks least comfortable doing.