Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

7 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

You make a lot of sense, BUT, if an offer comes for Brissett that is just too good then we gotta do it. JB is only signed for this year I believe.....As a backup he has value but we could sign another vet to replace him and still have the MVP of the preseason, Dave Fromm. 

In all seriousness, JB is an asset that could help us get an offensive lineman down the road if we can turn him into a 2nd or 3rd round pick. It's Howell or bust for us and bust might mean a QB in the draft anyway. I'd deal JB in a heartbeat if the price was right. Atlanta and others should be thinking the same way if they're testing out young QB's. What value does TH really have to them other than turning him into a nice draft pick if a team is desperate enough to pay it?

Good question(s).....Yes I'd trade JB and Gibby. Cook would be good here....not so sure about Wilson. 

lol such an mvp you got his first name wrong. it's jake fromm.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SoCalSkins said:

No one giving a first for Brissett but you could in theory trade a conditional 3rd that becomes a first if Rodgers doesn’t play 65% of the snaps. The condition doesn’t conflict with the Green Bay trade. That’s how you their first. 

I don't think you can do that either. Even tho we 100% know how the Rodgers situation will play out, I don't believe an NFL team has the ability to offer the same pick to multiple teams at the same time, and right now the Jets have already offered their 1 and 2.

Until that deal is completed and the picks trade hands via the league office, they cant offer the other. As far as I know anyway.

9 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

I don't think you can do that either. Even tho we 100% know how the Rodgers situation will play out, I don't believe an NFL team has the ability to offer the same pick to multiple teams at the same time, and right now the Jets have already offered their 1 and 2.

Until that deal is completed and the picks trade hands via the league office, they cant offer the other. As far as I know anyway.

How about their 2024 3rd and 2025 1st?

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

I''m pretty sure SoCal is right. It can be done but you have to create conditions so that they don't conflict with the other trade. His example would work I believe.

20 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

I don’t think this is correct. As long as the conditions of the new trade do not create a situation where the same pick can result in compensation for both trades, they can have the same pick involved in multiple conditional trades. 

Players and coaches know the 20-16 win was a bad first impression — “horrible,” in the words of running back Antonio Gibson, who fumbled in the red zone. Players insisted the offense can be better Sunday at the Denver Broncos, and after reviewing the film Monday, Rivera seemed confident in the same belief.

...“With [Howell] being a smaller dude, we did want to test his toughness a little bit,” Cardinals defensive end Carlos Watkins said. “But I thought he held up decent. He didn’t seem scared or nothing. Just took the hits and kept moving.”

“He got a lot of heart,” White said, adding, “I tip my hat.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/09/12/sam-howell-commanders-offense/

• Like 8

I’m not sure the Jets can afford to pick up Brissett’s salary.  

Ron would have to go to Harris and say, If Howell goes out and we trade Jacoby, and we lose, you can’t hold that against me and I’m coming back.”  If Harris says no, then Ron can’t make the trade unless he’s forced.  (Which, depending on the language in his contract, might actually be difficult.  If he had “Ownership cannot dictate personnel moves” written in, which I would have if I was him, then Harris cannot even force him.

I think it’s unlikely because I doubt the Jets can do it and I don’t think the Commanders want to take the risk.  

And with where we are, I’m ok with that.  I’d prefer to play with a full deck and if Howell goes down not having an excuse for Ron. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Ron would have to go to Harris and say, If Howell goes out and we trade Jacoby, and we lose, you can’t hold that against me and I’m coming back.”  If Harris says no, then Ron can’t make the trade unless he’s forced.  (Which, depending on the language in his contract, might actually be difficult.  If he had “Ownership cannot dictate personnel moves” written in, which I would have if I was him, then Harris cannot even force him.

I think it’s unlikely because I doubt the Jets can do it and I don’t think the Commanders want to take the risk.  

And with where we are, I’m ok with that.  I’d prefer to play with a full deck and if Howell goes down not having an excuse for Ron. 

The Jets have $10 million in cap space from what I can find, so they should be able to pick up his $8 million contract.

As far as Ron, I think his fate is tied to Howell one way or the other. If Howell goes out, I don't think Brissett will be able to save Ron's job unless he goes on an absolute tear an we go deep into the playoffs. The exception to this is if Howell goes out late in the year or in the postseason after playing really well. Then I think Ron could definitely keep his job.

The not taking the risk angle I can understand, especially when the only other guy on the roster is Fromm.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Harris clearly stated in a presser that he lets football people make decisions. You won't be seeing any meddling coming from them.. the stink is no longer in charge ;)

Edited by Tress Is The Way

It definitely makes sense from a value standpoint to trade Brissett to the Jets, and get back a 3rd or a 4th for him.  It would be the smart thing to do, but the problem with this is that if you trade Howell, you're effectively waving the white flag on the season.  If we just have Howell & Fromm, and nothing else, what happens if Howell gets hurt behind this porous O-Line?  Is Ron really prepared to risk the entire season (and his career) should he trade his only insurance policy Brissett? 

Ron is under the gun big time to deliver results, so not having an adequate backup, should Howell get hurt, would significantly worsen his already slim chances of surviving past this year.

Edited by samy316

Listened to Jay on Standig.

He loves the D line -- naturally he does since his regime drafted Sweat, Payne, Allen.  I thinks they need to lean into them naturally to win games and he thinks they can grind out some wins thanks to that unit.

On an aside in other podcasts, its clear that Jay pounded the table for Payne in that draft and didn't want to take Sua Cravens.  But he was on board with the Josh Doctson pick.  I recall other reporters said Sean McVay loved Doctson in particular in that draft.

He watched the Denver and thinks this team can beat them.

He likes Howell, doesn't love him clearly based on some of the other podcasts I've listened to from him.  He compares him to Minshew.

He doesn't think much of the O line.

He thinks highly of thr WRs and gets Bieniemy's attempts early in the game to get them the ball.

He went over Mike Shanahan's recent interview about them turning down the 2nd pick in the draft for Kirk.   Jay goes they could have gotten a lot more than just that.  But Bruce and Dan hated Shanny so that was more important to them then getting trade compensation

He said the new ownership comes off night and day over the previous one.  And that's great for this franchise.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Listened to Jay on Standig.

He loves the D line -- naturally he does since his regime drafted Sweat, Payne, Allen.  I thinks they need to lean into them naturally to win games and he thinks they can grind out some wins thanks to that unit.

On an aside in other podcasts, its clear that Jay pounded the table for Payne in that draft and didn't want to take Sua Cravens.  But he was on board with the Josh Doctson pick.  I recall other reporters said Sean McVay loved Doctson in particular in that draft.

He watched the Denver and thinks this team can beat them.

He likes Howell, doesn't love him clearly based on some of the other podcasts I've listened to from him.  He compares him to Minshew.

He doesn't think much of the O line.

He thinks highly of thr WRs and gets Bieniemy's attempts early in the game to get them the ball.

He went over Mike Shanahan's recent interview about them turning down the 2nd pick in the draft for Kirk.   Jay goes they could have gotten a lot more than just that.  But Bruce and Dan hated Shanny so that was more important to them then getting trade compensation

He said the new ownership comes off night and day over the previous one.  And that's great for this franchise.  

That was one of Jay's better interviews. I listened to it and was really nodding my head with his insight. 

You say the blanket statment "He likes Howell, doesn't love him clearly based on some of the other podcasts I've listened to from him.  He compares him to Minshew."

What he was saying in this interview was the give and take of a runing/athetic QB like Howell and how it will make your line look bad because they will hold the ball too long thinking they can make more plays than they should. Then Standing said how do you coach that out of them. Then he said, no no no, you don't coach that out of them because thats what makes them special. You've just just got to hope they learn to get better with it. 

And you mentioned Minshew, I thought I heard him mention Hurtz. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1