Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

12 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

This **** is exciting. Hard to believe we got him in the 5th a year after he was being talked about as a top 15 pick.

I watch every UNC game and follow them religiously. Howell is better than most people think but the absolute best thing about him is his demeanor and work ethic. Always the first player to the practice facility in college and last to leave and he did it because he loves the game. Never gets rattled to the point of being scary lol. Offensive line was the worst I'd ever seen at UNC and he'd stand in the pocket all day trying to find someone open or tuck it and run it, never going down from the first hit. It was like a video game glitch the way he turned into a human pinball and just bounced off 3-4 defenders and picking up big chunks. He needs to learn to get rid of it quicker in NFL and he can't run it 20 times a game but my point is he is fearless and exactly the kind of person you want in QB room.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, NFC Beast1987 said:

I watch every UNC game and follow them religiously. Howell is better than most people think but the absolute best thing about him is his demeanor and work ethic. Always the first player to the practice facility in college and last to leave and he did it because he loves the game. Never gets rattled to the point of being scary lol. Offensive line was the worst I'd ever seen at UNC and he'd stand in the pocket all day trying to find someone open or tuck it and run it, never going down from the first hit. It was like a video game glitch the way he turned into a human pinball and just bounced off 3-4 defenders and picking up big chunks. He needs to learn to get rid of it quicker in NFL and he can't run it 20 times a game but my point is he is fearless and exactly the kind of person you want in QB room.

#ShouldHaveBeenRedWolvesSoHowellCouldHowl

• Like 5
  • Haha 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

14 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

I have strong Brad Johnson Vibes right now with Wentz. Different backgrounds, but I feel like we can have that type of offense and year this year. 

If Carson has the 2022 version of the '99 season that Brad had w/the Skins then it's close to a home run for Rivera and company.  Would be best case scenario.  I don't see that happening though.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Wentz's 2021 season was better than Johnson's 1999 season. Johnson had 24 TDs and 13 INTs with a 60.9 completion percentage. Wentz last season had 27 TDs, and 7 INTs with a 62.4 completion percentage. 

Very true - if we treat it as an apples to apples comparison, Wentz was way better.  Of course, Johnson was 5th in the league in both tds and yards, 3rd in completion percentage, Wentz 18th, 10th and 25th respectively.  So maybe it’s more of an apples to oranges situation?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Very true - if we treat it as an apples to apples comparison, Wentz was way better.  Of course, Johnson was 5th in the league in both tds and yards, 3rd in completion percentage, Wentz 18th, 10th and 25th respectively.  So maybe it’s more of an apples to oranges situation?

Yeah fair point. It's probably not the best 1:1 comparison, mostly because 23 years separate those two and the NFL has changed a lot in that time. Offenses nowadays are way more pass heavy and way more potent in general.

Edited by mistertim
  • Thumb up 1

59 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Wentz's 2021 season was better than Johnson's 1999 season. Johnson had 24 TDs and 13 INTs with a 60.9 completion percentage. Wentz last season had 27 TDs, and 7 INTs with a 62.4 completion percentage. 

Yeah but its all relative. Passing #s in 1999 weren't like they are now.

I believe we were the #2 ranked offense in the league that year(behind the Greatest Show on Turf Rams). Also had two 1000 yard WRs and Stephen Davis rushed for 1500.

• Like 1

On 8/7/2022 at 11:27 AM, Est.1974 said:

They wanted to move up in the first, I assume from 22, and were also offering pick 53 that they held at the time. Sounded like ‘only 53 as well’ per Mayhew in the draft room wasn’t enough to tempt us anyway.

Smart move by the Washington FO

• Like 1

I liked the trade for Wentz, but his struggles in camp have me alarmed.  Especially the reports about him missing (badly) wide open receivers.  But it is legitimately baffling to me at how people were hyped up for signing Fitzpatrick last season compared to the way Wentz has been treated (both locally and nationally). 

Edited by DJHJR86
  • Like 4

28 minutes ago, Idaho fan said:

Anyone recall or know what the talk and reports were on Carson in Indy last year early in camp?  Curious if there was the same inaccuracy concerns. 

Reports were more focused around his injury rather than performance as he missed the vast majority of camp due to injury.

I've had the same mindset since we acquired Wentz so news of his struggling does not effect my viewpoint one way or another. I still fully expect him to be the guy he has been, living smack-dab in meh-ville.

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FootballZombie said:

I've had the same mindset since we acquired Wentz so news of his struggling does not effect my viewpoint one way or another. I still fully expect him to be the guy he has been, living smack-dab in meh-ville.

It'll be interesting to see what all the people who claim to be unconcerned about Wentz say once he starts blowing 3rd down conversions regularly by overthrowing WR's or doing his improvisational plays that usually end up being a comedy of errors. 

He's likely to be what Kirk Cousins would have been if he had held onto the ball too long regularly. KC liked to do dumb stuff at inopportune times too but he usually just went with the quick play, sometimes it was short of the first down but it wasn't a left-hand underhanded chuck up to the defense. 

Of course, if the OL is better than expected (or like the 1991 Redskins OL) he might do pretty good. I just don't know how that's going to be possible.

Edited by SkinsFTW

Wentz struggled with consistent accuracy when an MVP candidate. This is why the team must embrace his strengths and let him do him. I fear Ron and company will attempt to place constraints/governors that will cede average to below QB play on a dude taking up 13% of the cap.

He projects to be a terrible game manager. 4500 plus pass yards should be the goal. 

Edited by wit33
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Bifflog said:

Ahhh gotta love this time of year, not a preseason snap to be had yet but everyone knows exactly how all this **** is gonna turn out, in every direction.

Betting slip screenies anyone?

Over Under is 7.5, over is now at -150, so either the Over continues to lose value, or it climbs to 8. 

I've got: 

Ceiling: 9 Wins

Likely: 7 wins

Floor: 5 wins

My projection is a bit too close to the O/U to want to bet it, I prefer to have at least a 2 win difference in my projection before I lay money down on it. 

For the record, the only times I can recall the Redskins beating the over in recent years would likely be 2005, 2007, Maybe '09 or '10, '12, '15, and '20. I would imagine they've gone under the win total 14 or 15 of the past 21 seasons. It's a reliable bet most of the time, unless Gibbs was HC, when it was just likely 50/50. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

My projection is a bit too close to the O/U to want to bet it

Yes indeed, same here.

But I'd imagine someone banking on a true train wreck at QB is seeing way less than 7 wins, but also wasn't only talking about negative takes on the QB, there's lots of big time takes, if people posted their action it could be like a WFT version of wallstreetbets :P

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, mistertim said:

I think you have put the season each had into context for the era.  Brad Johnson's season in 1999 ranks 5th for 1999.  Wentz's ranks 19th for 2021.  

So, if Wentz were to rank in the top 10 for the upcoming season -- the Ders are gonna be a lot better than anyone would expect.

54 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

My projection is a bit too close to the O/U to want to bet it, I prefer to have at least a 2 win difference in my projection before I lay money down on it. 

For the record, the only times I can recall the Redskins beating the over in recent years would likely be 2005, 2007, Maybe '09 or '10, '12, '15, and '20. I would imagine they've gone under the win total 14 or 15 of the past 21 seasons. It's a reliable bet most of the time, unless Gibbs was HC, when it was just likely 50/50. 

Since this is a QB thread, I'd say the odds makers are being conservative and there's more momentum on the Over due to Wentz creating a wider variation in the upside. The O/U line is likely meant to entice fans into over optimistic opinions before any games are played. Additionally there's a false perception of an easy schedule with WSH playing multiple short week games vs teams with long weeks. There's a good chance another RR slow start is incoming with starters all over the roster injured, a new QB, and failure to address 3rd down defense. Looks like a correct betting line.

Wentz in 2021 was better than what was on this roster in 2021. THAT is the main thing right now. How good can Wentz ultimately be is not known at this time, but it's not a "Wentz leads the team to the NFC Championship this season or else he was a bust of a trade" situation the way some people think.  What Wentz needs to do this season specifically is show the coaching staff he is the guy to continue to build the roster around and is worth that last big contract of his career.  But the reality even if he doesn't do that and they want to move on, that doesn't mean he still isn't going to better than what this team had at QB last season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Over seems like a fairly safe bet considering how much weaker the schedule is and since injuries tend to fluctuate, we should be on the fortunate end of it this year.

I mean 8-9 would be over even if its a losing record.

Not really.

Since everyone who was hurt last year is still hurt, plus plenty more, you're still hoping to get healthy. Team has major injury issues from last year that are unresolved. Fact is they don't have a LT yet for their new QB. They don't have the starting C. The replacement for the All-Pro has a split down the middle of his quad. Lose 1 of your 3 mediocre at best LB'ers and then what? They're facing drastically improved pass rushes Weeks 1 and 2. Then division rivals Weeks 3 and 4. They have the WORST bye week 14. In Weeks 10, 13, 16 and 18, Washington's opponent will have a three-day rest/prep advantage because they'll be in the Thursday night tilt for the previous set of games while RR's side will have suited up on the ensuing Sunday. Not reaching 8 wins is the Under. Line at 7.5 is correct.

9 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Wentz in 2021 was better than what was on this roster in 2021. THAT is the main thing right now. How good can Wentz ultimately be is not known at this time, but it's not a "Wentz leads the team to the NFC Championship this season or else he was a bust of a trade" situation the way some people think.  What Wentz needs to do this season specifically is show the coaching staff he is the guy to continue to build the roster around and is worth that last big contract of his career.  But the reality even if he doesn't do that and they want to move on, that doesn't mean he still isn't going to better than what this team had at QB last season.

That's fair.

He could get on a roll and gain some confidence. Winning the opener is huge.

9 hours ago, Probos said:

I think you have put the season each had into context for the era.  Brad Johnson's season in 1999 ranks 5th for 1999.  Wentz's ranks 19th for 2021.  

So, if Wentz were to rank in the top 10 for the upcoming season -- the Ders are gonna be a lot better than anyone would expect.

Honestly I think that Johnson and Green were just getting us to the potential of the Norv Offense. Heath, Gus and George weren't the guys for it. Although in Gus's defense he was doing well until the headbutt. Plus we seemed to always be rampaged by injuries on offense those years. 

Now we've got a second chance with Scott and I feel like Wentz is his type of QB. He's got a long ball that can compete with anybody. To some extent I want to ignore all his stats because he's always played in a WCO. I think somebody like Heinicke could do well in a WCO but Wentz needs room to breathe. So I'm anxious to see him air it our. 

I've got to see things for myself though because while I'm excited about the 9 route, I am curious about how he throws a deep in or a crossing route. I think those deep over the middle routes that take time to develop and go to our TEs or bigger WRs could be a lot of fun. The other thing that I heard on the Junkies yesterday is that even his misses are generally overthrows so that its not like he;s throwing it up for grabs, but he's throwing it where his guy gets it or nobody gets it. Hopefully that's true. 

• Like 1