Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

5 hours ago, spjunkies said:

How in the world is that guaranteed?

If you knew the family you’d know too; he’s a leader and has the tools I hope we get him but I won’t care if it’s JD or CW pick one and let’s go 

20 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

OK but what if scouts have a better assessment of Maye than you do?  Judging by what's mostly come out in drips and drabs as to leaks -- yes scouts like McCarthy better than the draft media-fans do but they are also even higher on Maye than McCarthy.

Shoudn't it be at least considered that most scouts have a better assessment of Maye as a player than you do  -- and if that's at least possible are you really that confident that you see the forest for the trees better than than professionals do on the subject to risk sendiing Maye to a division rival?

I have some takes on some players but am not so into my opinion where it feels so definitive where I'd go against consensus takes on said player with total confidence let alone send said player to a division rival. 

Heck Logan Paulsen who played the game and has some good takes made a similar point specific to Drake Maye ironically in his last podcast saying he can't ignore just all the accolades and brush off so many other opinions so he took a deeper dive into the player and came out of it with a much higher opinion of him -- to the extent that he's considering bumping him up to #2, when he was previously #3.

Not saying your outlier take can't be right and the others are wrong.  But if feels a bit over the top confidence wise that you have that good of an assessment of a player where you'd go against consensus and give him to a division rival. 

If our scouts like Maye the most than by all means stay at 2 and draft Maye, this was just a hypothetical I put out there for discussion in a message board meant to discuss such things. 

I’ve stated that Caleb is my guy, with Daniels right behind him, probably Maye 3rd, but if we could get McCarthy and 2 extra 1st rounders for 2025 and 2026, that’s something they should at the very least consider. That kind of draft capital would really help fill out the roster.

5 minutes ago, HTTSkins said:

If you knew the family you’d know too; he’s a leader and has the tools I hope we get him but I won’t care if it’s JD or CW pick one and let’s go 

Yeah, kids don't put on their best behavior in front of friends of the family. Saying that he seems to have a good head on his shoulders is warranted, absolutely nothing is guaranteed with any of these people. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

ehhh...

If your just looking at "super mobile" and your metric is just getting to the SB...

Russ

Cam

Kap

Hurts

and a metric ton that wound only serve to start arguments like Steve Young, McNair, Tarkenton, McNabb...

Even those that slant passing, the point of being a dual threat is being a dual threat.

Good catch. I should have stayed with my first thought and said won the SB, when I changed to appearances I had forgotten about Kap and Cam.  I did look at Russ and probably should have included him.  Young was a great passer who happened to be a great runner but he was pass first.

So we are left with Russ as the only super mobile SB winning QB and he had a dominant defense behind him.

22 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

If our scouts like Maye the most than by all means stay at 2 and draft Maye, this was just a hypothetical I put out there for discussion in a message board meant to discuss such things. 

I’ve stated that Caleb is my guy, with Daniels right behind him, probably Maye 3rd, but if we could get McCarthy and 2 extra 1st rounders for 2025 and 2026, that’s something they should at the very least consider. That kind of draft capital would really help fill out the roster.

OK, got it, its not saying that is what you want them to do per se -- but only if they see it the same way.

It should be interesting Spielman who was doing the hires, has Maye #2, Daniels #3 and is in love with Caleb as a player.  He's echoed some of the same positive things some of us said here about Maye and Daniels.  But more to the point, he sees a big drop off after those 3 QBs.

I like McCarthy more than most here.  I was talking about him back in September on the draft thread.  I do agree though wih Spielman that its a big drop off after the top 3.    I think the top 3 have top 8 potential talent.   McCarthy's celing IMO more in that 10-15 range.  But to your point, you never know, this FO might see it differently and differently from Spielman.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Here's why:

1. The "big 3" are much better prospects than the next level, McCarthy, Penix, Nix.  I don't care what buzz the idiot draftnik community is trying to drive up about McCarthy, he's not in the same league as the "big 3"

2. While it might be a complete crap shoot, you have to find the best overall prospect your evaluation turns up  who is available and take a shot on that player. The better the prospect, the better the chance of success.

3. If you don't have a QB, you need to keep taking swings at it until you do.  And those swings have to be the best swings you can take. 

4. There are essentially 4 QBs who have had sustained, top 10-ish success picked after the 3rd round in the past 20 years: Brady, Purdy, Russell Wilson and Kirk Cousins.  Maybe there's a guy or two I'm missing, but not a lot.

5. The best odds of getting a franchise QB is to take a shot at the top of the first round. It might not work. But you just keep taking shots.  

6. There is absolutely no sure bet at any position in the draft, not just QB.  We see busts in every position at every spot in the draft.  It's all a crap shoot.  About the most predictable position is Running Back. Everything else, it's tough to tell. 

I have no idea what Chen would say, except that if you don't have a QB, your statistical probability of losing and getting fired is much higher.  

4. You forgot Dak and Romo, and considering their cowboys, I get it, lol, Dak was a 4th, Romo was a UDFA if I remember right. I tend to want to make Purdy do it a bit longer to match the other 5 guys, I think Purdy is locked in as a top 10-15 QB, but I'm not positive, and the issues that have cropped up periodically are probably ceiling lowering. 

40 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

I think McCarthy has room to grow into his body, where Maye has a grown mans body. 

I mean I guess anything is possible but Maye is 6 months older and is significantly bigger already. Also, Maye comes from a family of giants.

Not sure McCarthy will ever get to be Maye’s size, which is fine.

• Thanks 1

Since I was silly last night, figured I'd post something interesting about Maye that's been mentioned some, but not really discussed - the kid's really intelligent and a football junkie, two things I think are super important especially for a young QB.  

Two-time All-ACC Academic Team:

https://goheels.com/news/2024/1/31/football-maye-leads-tar-heels-all-acc-academic-honorees

2023 OC interviewed about Maye:

https://www.on3.com/college/north-carolina-tar-heels/news/chip-lindsey-reveals-whats-surprised-him-about-drake-maye/

“I think the thing that probably I didn’t know before is he’s really intelligent. He’s really smart. Football smart. His football IQ is really high,” responded Lindsey. “I mean, he does well in school. He’s got a great GPA and all that, but he understands every aspect of offense. From offensive line play, to who should be working to who in zone schemes, to who we’re working to in pass sets. In pass protections, he’s able to change the protection. That’s something that he’s taken to really quickly, and they did some of that before too. But I think that would be the thing, I mean not knowing him from the outside, you see the talent. You see the physical skills. That hadn’t surprised me a bit. But getting here and realizing he’s a football junkie. He understands football. He loves it, and very, very intelligent player.”

I also love the fact that Maye is the youngest of 4 boys, all athletes, who survived getting whooped on at everything as the family 'runt' until a late growth spurt, with good results described by his dad (former NFL QB) in interview:

"He had to really learn how to bring it in backyard basketball or football. He was also the smallest. He did not grow as fast. That helped him in a lot of ways."

"Drake, out of all my kids, is probably the most competitive. Drake loves to win and has the mindset of just wearing you out. If he's up 50-0 in football, he's going to keep going and not feel bad about it at all. Drake will drive you into the ground and not feel bad about it. That's what you want."

https://247sports.com/longformarticle/the-making-of-a-unc-royal-family-drake-mayes-father-discusses-raising-the-star-qb-alongside-brother-luke-212647574/#2194620

Edited by Dah-Dee
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Dah-Dee said:

“I think the thing that probably I didn’t know before is he’s really intelligent. He’s really smart. Football smart. His football IQ is really high,” responded Lindsey. “I mean, he does well in school. He’s got a great GPA and all that, but he understands every aspect of offense. From offensive line play, to who should be working to who in zone schemes, to who we’re working to in pass sets. In pass protections, he’s able to change the protection. That’s something that he’s taken to really quickly, and they did some of that before too. But I think that would be the thing, I mean not knowing him from the outside, you see the talent. You see the physical skills. That hadn’t surprised me a bit. But getting here and realizing he’s a football junkie. He understands football. He loves it, and very, very intelligent player.”

Having a high GPA at UNC isn't any small feat, it's one of the best public universities in the country.

As to football IQ, Logan was referencing it some in his last podcast -- saying presnap, post snap as to seeing things and knowing what to do he seems very NFL ready.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

It would be such a classic Washington football situation.

Trade the #2 pick to a division rival so they can draft their QB. He goes on to be a top 5 NFL QB. We draft a 2nd tier QB at 6. He ends up as an Alex Smith type NFL QB. We get a couple of extra 1st rounders that we use on couple of decent starters. We're a consistent 8-9 or 9-8 team for years.

• Like 9
  • Thumb up 1

8 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Trade the #2 pick to a division rival so they can draft their QB. He goes on to be a top 5 NFL QB. We draft a 2nd tier QB at 6. He ends up as an Alex Smith type NFL QB. We get a couple of extra 1st rounders that we use on couple of decent starters. We're a consistent 8-9 or 9-8 team for years.

Agree.

I recall the debates eons ago when we had that run with Jay and Kirk 9-7, 8-7-1 about the state of the team.  And that is the high mark for this team in retrospect.  The only 2 consecutive winning seasons under Dan which is beyond pathetic.  This is the team with the longest draught of making a championship game and by far the longest draught of not having an 11 plus win season.  

While i enjoyed the occasional runs of being average to just a little above average.  I couldn't stand it if that becomes the bar again.   Can we just be competitive enough to sneak in to the playoffs everty 3-5 years and get knocked out?  As Josh Harris said there is a short cut to mediocrity but not to consistent success.

This is the shot to escape that.  And some are too afraid to take that shot because what if it doesn't work?    If we don't take that shot and instead trade down IMO we are embracing the short cut to mediocrity.  We'd be the Atlanta Falcons, strong roster with a "meh" QB.  Some seem good with that.  To each their own.  But to me its nauseating to think about it.

We got a new owner.  New GM.  New HC.  New things on the horizon.  It's OK to think bigger! :ols:

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

11 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Stories to Scare Your Socks Off! | Capstone Library

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spjunkies said:

Yeah, kids don't put on their best behavior in front of friends of the family. Saying that he seems to have a good head on his shoulders is warranted, absolutely nothing is guaranteed with any of these people. 

I agree with never say never but he’s a safe bet 

I know @wit33 in particular like QBs who play other sports.  So do I.   I've seen multiple videos of Maye on the golf course.  Also was a big time basketball player.   Plays pickle ball. Ping pong.

Supposedly playing different sports helps football players being more inventive on the football field -- because sometimes its a skill that transfers.  

https://www.dailytarheel.com/article/2023/08/unc-football-drake-maye-quarterback-profile-2023-preview-south-carolina-game-day-heisman-trophy

It’s also the same cutthroat mentality that gives Maye an edge on the field. 

“I think the best aspect about him is he’s competitive,” UNC junior tight end John Copenhaver said. “Whether that’s playing ping pong in the players' lounge or playing pickleball, he is out there to win no matter what.”

https://www.newsweek.com/north-carolina-qb-drake-maye-5-things-know-about-tar-heels-starter-1834650

Was Also Standout Hoops Player

Maye could have followed Luke's lead by being a productive player on the hardwood instead of the gridiron. The 6-foot-4, 230-pounder averaged 16.1 points and 11.3 rebounds per game as a junior in high school, earning all-conference and all-district honors.

"I love playing basketball. Basketball was my favorite sport until football got started in high school," Maye said in 2019, via the The Charlotte Observer. "Big schools gave me the opportunity to play [football] there. I feel like basketball could've gotten there, but it would've taken longer. The opportunities are too good in football. I started falling in love with playing quarterback, and I want to take it as far as I can."

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/darius-butler-drake-maye-nfl-draft-no-1-overall-golf-pat-mcafee-show-caleb-williams

“Big country guy … loves talking about ball a lot … [there was] a lot of sh*t-talking from the family which I love, I grew up like that,” Butler said of his impressions of Maye the dude. “If I spent four-and-a-half hours with Jayden or Caleb, that may sway, but where I’m at right now, as far as being a locker-room guy … A.J. [Hawk], Pat [McAfee], you guys know.”

Maye certainly wouldn’t be the first person to earn themselves a promotion on the golf course,

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MartinC said:

If he’s the backup he’s one snap from playing. So if he’s here I certainly care about his development.

Yep....the Eagles won their only SB with backup Nick Foles who's best asset as a QB was being smart and getting the ball to where it needed to go. He ran the offense to perfection. If we can coach Sam up and not put everything on him like RR did I think Sam can be a good asset for us.

1 hour ago, Dah-Dee said:

Since I was silly last night, figured I'd post something interesting about Maye that's been mentioned some, but not really discussed - the kid's really intelligent and a football junkie, two things I think are super important especially for a young QB.  

Two-time All-ACC Academic Team:

https://goheels.com/news/2024/1/31/football-maye-leads-tar-heels-all-acc-academic-honorees

2023 OC interviewed about Maye:

https://www.on3.com/college/north-carolina-tar-heels/news/chip-lindsey-reveals-whats-surprised-him-about-drake-maye/

I also love the fact that Maye is the youngest of 4 boys, all athletes, who survived getting whooped on at everything as the family 'runt' until a late growth spurt, with good results described by his dad (former NFL QB) in interview:

"He had to really learn how to bring it in backyard basketball or football. He was also the smallest. He did not grow as fast. That helped him in a lot of ways."

"Drake, out of all my kids, is probably the most competitive. Drake loves to win and has the mindset of just wearing you out. If he's up 50-0 in football, he's going to keep going and not feel bad about it at all. Drake will drive you into the ground and not feel bad about it. That's what you want."

https://247sports.com/longformarticle/the-making-of-a-unc-royal-family-drake-mayes-father-discusses-raising-the-star-qb-alongside-brother-luke-212647574/#2194620

UNC is defintely a better public university than LSU, but I just wanted to mention Jayden finished early.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

For a 3rd Ill pay for his plane ticket and drive him to Dulles myself

We just need one idiot

Did Vinny or Bruce ever catch on anywhere? 😉

Edited by DiscoBob
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

But to your point, you never know, this FO might see it differently and differently from Spielman.

SIP, I hope that Peters does his thing and drafts his guy in all the drafts.  Yes, take in whatever info is giving to you but in the end, I hope he trust his gut.  This is why we paid him to be THE guy.  

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

The best part of all this QB talk is that in 5 years from now, Pratt could be the only legit starter still in the league.

Certainly possible. Remember the vaunted 2012 class with RG3 and Luck? Well the best QBs from that class were 3rd rounder Russel Wilson and 4th rounder Kirkland Cousins.

Its a numbers game. Sometimes 16 beats dealer 10 and 20 loses to a dealer 6.

Edited by Warhead36
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, RWJ said:

SIP, I hope that Peters does his thing and drafts his guy in all the drafts.  Yes, take in whatever info is giving to you but in the end, I hope he trust his gut.  This is why we paid him to be THE guy.  

I hope he does the thing that they did in San Fran where they let everyone pound the table for their guy on the last day. Collaboration, imo, is better than one person thinking they know best. That’s how you end with Dan Snyder’s and Bruce Allen’s of the world.

Edited by mh86
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dah-Dee said:

One thing I want in my QB that doesn't get talked about often enough is competitive fire. That desire to just kill your opponent. Maye has that. That's why you see so many risky, sometimes WTF throws, because he knows he's gotta make throws like that, go for the jugular, to lead a team that isn't as talented as most of its competitors. Sometimes it bites him in the butt, but I'll always take the hyper competitive guy. 

Kid is a stone cold killer and in three years when he's running it up on the Cowboys and Eagles, we're gonna look back and laugh at why this was even a discussion. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Jumbo said:

007 License to Kill

I would just like to point out that was a TURRIBLE bond movie.  Just awful.

That is all. 

6 hours ago, WashingtonRedWolves said:

He really is the voice of reason

The fact that somebody downvoted this post means my job here is done.  

:P 

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I would just like to point out that was a TURRIBLE bond movie.  Just awful.

That is all. 

Fortunately forgettable, as I find most Dalton Bond movies. Only Lazenby was less impressive.

• Thumb up 2