Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

It looks like we are seeing the completion of the danification of Ron. It happens to every good person who comes to this godforsaken franchise owned by dan snyder. He literally brings out the worst in everything and every person he touches. 

I would not be surprised of Ron resignes at the end of the season. Don't get me wrong, he has made some really bad decisions and I was one of his biggest believers. But I do not think people realize how a cancer like dan can influence your decision making even when you think is doesn't. Not to mention what a toll the constant drama takes on you mentally. Still, Ron is a grown man so he owns the bad decisions. Cheif among them was not spending more resources on the Oline and ruining a Dline with a bunch of #1s on it. I get letting Scherff walk and even Flowers. But get better replacements. Maybe Ron was on a budget, but if so it's still on him to a certain extent. I do not think Carson was one of bad decisions honestly. Not because i like Carson or ever did. It was worth the gamble. $28M is actually not a lot to pay for a franchise QB. If he works out, you got a bargain. And again for those who keep ignoring it, you cannot place enough emphasis on then not being tied to him past this year. Look at the Broncos. How would we like to be tied to that contract with the way he is playing! Yikes! And we were in that battle to land him! 

Let Howell share snaps this week and get him ready during the mini bye. It's time. And for those saying not to put him behind thgat line - sorry but that really makes no real football sense. The guy either has it or he does not. If he is a starting NFL QB (I have my doubts but feels like our best chance right now) then he will figure out how to stay alive. He is a big elusive smart guy. I never like molly coddling players, especially rookies. Maybe you get cautious once you know what you have and not needlessly put them in harms way, like a Brady, Brees, Maning etc. with the POs coming up or at the end of a blowout. But you need to know what you have. If he works out, wow you have got a lot of resources to build a team around him. If he does not show the promise you need, sell out for the next draft. Everyone is available. Just get the guy you really want in this years draft. Then rebuild it right.

I do not think Ron will be fired this season even if they go 1-15. I just do not believe Dan thinks that way. But he may resign, or move to the FO and get a HC. At this point i would like to see someone start the next rebuild. My biggest complaint about dan and the team (I have many more about him personally) is he always saddled the next group with some of the worst parts of the previous group (Haskins (RIP), RGIII, etc) or give them someone they did not pick (MCNabb various OCs and DCs).  

Let someone finally start with a completely clean slate. I expect them to fail because, well dan. But probably time to try. 

• Like 4

There's no reason to switch to Heinicke. Any upside he offers because of his mobility trades off his lack of arm and with this O-line those shortcomings are going to be exposed a lot more than they were when he actually had time to attempt to wind up his arm to heave the ball.  Sure, you could call different plays, but opposing defense will change their coverages to specifically defend the kinds of passes he can throw. 

The only change to make is to Howell, but I wouldn't do that at this point either.  Behind this O-line is no place to throw a rookie. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, method man said:

If this were to come about, you'd probably keep JDR as the interim HC so things don't fully fall apart

This would be excellent, because we’d be sure to end with the #1 overall pick then. A guy with his media troubles is never going to be picked as Interim HC in that scenario though imo. 

Rivera is losing games just fine, we know he’s too stubborn to change anything too important, and he looks less into the job every single week. If tanking is your preference, you keep Rivera in his position all season even if it’s infuriating to watch. The last thing we need is some weird emotional dead cat bounce from the roster just in time to eke out some pointless wins. Rivera is clearly sucking the life out of the locker room—may as well let him finish the job. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

11 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

You’ve desperately been trying to get out ahead of this.  🤣

Everything about the trade for McNabb smelled of Snyder.  I remember thinking at the time, damn - the Shanny’s don’t even pretend to be excited about this.  McNabb was just not the kind of QB that fits what they want to do, which is why it smelled when it happened.

What I find incredibly odd, is that you don’t believe the professionals with solid reputations and experience when they give their version of events for how things played out here.  Meanwhile, every single coach that leaves here has some version of events that took place, uncontested by a guy who contests everything in court.  Yet you still believe the coaches are lying, and Dan was innocent.  It’s so weird, your obsession with absolving Snyder, the lying former coaches, the media, on and on.  Meanwhile 23 years of failure and the one guy ahead of it all is staring your right in the face.  

Why do you always drag me into this conversation?  lol  

10 minutes ago, dyst said:

3rd team in 3 years and not just any 3rd team but “this” team. I hope people didn’t really expect it to magically be different.

I was hoping it would, but was also fully aware that the chances were MUCH greater that it would be bad here as well. 

I was stupid enough to predict an 11-6 season for the season predictions my dad and I do in May, but that’s just cause i can’t help but be optimistic (really, cautiously optimistic) in May 🤷🏻‍♂️ So sue me :)  

Edited by Cooleyfan1993

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Feels to me the opposite of him winging it as to BS answers.

Its ironic that he says "QB" but we have two 4-1 teams in the division who are winning without stud QB's.  Typically I would agree that the QB sets the tone and Wentz hasn't fulfilled that role buts its a strange season.  Teams in the NFC are not that good.

Just an odd statement to make, it comes off as him either not paying attention to his surroundings or winging the question.

Its all very nit picky but this is where I'm at with this team and Ron.

Edited by JSSkinz
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Jumbo said:

Anyone who thinks they see equivalent talent or upside between th and Howell is not having an informed or intelligent football thought.

Fair enough, I saw this quote and thought it seemed really out of place given the current conversation was about Ron’s comments and turning to Howell.  And then you doubled down/followed up with the breakdown of why you believe TH is a bad qb.  After going back through the comments though, I saw the post about Logan Paulsen and his thoughts semi-comparing Howell/TH… so mea culpa.

46 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

If we bomb out Ron should go. But with Snyder problems do you think he pays Ron to leave and pays a new coach and Gm? 

Unfortunately, if we don't totally bomb out win six or seven games he will probably bring Ron back.

I agree. I personally don't think Snyder is going to fire Ron anytime soon cause of Snyder's issues and media coverage he has and with him doing that will bring up a story of something like what coach would come here with Dan Snyder at the helm. Snyder wants less media coverage as he cam right now. Me personally Rivera isn't going anywhere. 

• Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Fair enough, I saw this quote and thought it seemed really out of place given the current conversation was about Ron’s comments and turning to Howell.  And then you doubled down/followed up with the breakdown of why you believe TH is a bad qb.  After going back through the comments though, I saw the post about Logan Paulsen and his thoughts semi-comparing Howell/TH… so mea culpa.

Let's not overlook the fact that I'm guilty of innumerable sins committed in these threads and even if I'm cleared of some inferences I am so dirty from so many other transgressions. Just wait till you see what I'm planning for tomorrow 

• Haha 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

Why do you always drag me into this conversation?  lol  

Because you always do this.  Typically, you like to tell us you don’t like or care about Snyder, but you regularly follow it with the only thing that’s his fault is who he hires.  Which is basically what his excuses are for everything - ‘I’m not bad and so removed I don’t know the people I’ve hired are so awful’.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I’m a little worried that unlikely as it is, Howell would show enough that we go OL or DB or something in the top 5-10 of the draft instead of QB, and then he ends up predictably being a mirage that there wasn’t enough tape on. That’s kind of what’s happening with Davis Mills, he’s fine but not a potential franchise QB—yet after a solid rookie showing people projected more growth into him than he’s probably capable of. Similar to Haskins. 

Then Snyder hires someone who whispers sweet nothings in his ear about developing Howell instead of starting over again, or something. Hopefully our draft pick is so damn high that it screams QB no matter what. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Because you always do this.  Typically, you like to tell us you don’t like or care about Snyder, but you regularly follow it with the only thing that’s his fault is who he hires.  Which is basically what his excuses are for everything - ‘I’m not bad and so removed I don’t know the people I’ve hired are so awful’.

You already diagnosed me with Snyderitis, so leave it at that :)     The issue right now is Ron's incompetence.

4 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

You already diagnosed me with Snyderitis, so leave it at that

Fair enough.  In fairness, it does align with what you said earlier, which is you have to believe it’s possible to win with Snyder.

Most of us have accepted that everything is possible but success with Snyder is akin to winning the powerball.  We only stick around because this is all we know and are willing to assess Snyder’s directs with an asterisk.

• Like 2

Two teams who have had ample opportunity to evaluate Carson Wentz first hand couldn’t wait to get rid of him.  Maybe they knew something we didn’t.  With our stellar talent evaluation staff maybe we missed something.  Sometimes people try real hard to show you who they are and people just won’t believe them.  I was all for giving him a chance because we had to do something, but I am ready to believe he is exactly what I think he is.  Play him until Howell is ready and make the change sometime before Wentz gets to 70 percent.   Change the entire staff, draft a QB in the first round and really start the rebuild.

• Like 1

I listened to it and honestly, it didn’t sound as bad when he said it as it did me piecing it together here.  I knew what he was getting at - we have a new QB and new guys on the OL.

As for folks saying he’s signaling that Wentz can’t run Turner’s system.  That’s not good for Ron or Turner either, considering nobody has ever shown they can effectively run his system.  Scott can show you some wrinkles that make you think he has potential to be a next level OC.  But he’s never had anyone sustain any level of success.  It would appear he can design plays but is straight ass at game planning, sequencing and calling plays.  It also seems there isn’t any room for the QB to make executive decisions.  For a guy with relatively little experience calling an offense, that seems ridiculous.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

58 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

There's no reason to switch to Heinicke. Any upside he offers because of his mobility trades off his lack of arm and with this O-line those shortcomings are going to be exposed a lot more than they were when he actually had time to attempt to wind up his arm to heave the ball.  Sure, you could call different plays, but opposing defense will change their coverages to specifically defend the kinds of passes he can throw. 

The only change to make is to Howell, but I wouldn't do that at this point either.  Behind this O-line is no place to throw a rookie. 

After greenbay you bench wentz if we have 1 win. There is no reason to get close to the 70 percent of snaps clause and lose a second round pick

17 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I listened to it and honestly, it didn’t sound as bad when he said it as it did me piecing it together here.  I knew what he was getting at - we have a new QB and new guys on the OL.

This...I went back and listened to the entire thing too and it's exactly what he was saying.  In fact he again threw his support of Wentz.

Edited by HigSkin

Wentz is playing at the level I thought Fitzpatrick would have played at last season.  It would be really cool if Howell actually got to see the field at some point this season and showed some real promise.  I think that is the only way this franchise ever will succeed at anything.  They have to find an actual, legitimate franchise quarterback.

• Like 1