Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

I saw someone on social media say the announcers during yesterday's game said something to the effect of Wentz admitted to them that trying to learn Turner's system was like "putting his brain in a blender".  Did anyone catch this?  I missed it (if it's even true).

20 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

Play Howell but only after you get to the 68% percent of snaps thing(Make sure to get the math right, dummies) AND after getting a real center. There has to be a center out there that can snap the ball at least. 

Dont go over 60 percenr dont get close

• Thumb up 1

26 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

Play Howell but only after you get to the 68% percent of snaps thing(Make sure to get the math right, dummies) AND after getting a real center. There has to be a center out there that can snap the ball at least. 

If we’re relying on this clownshow organization to do the math right, when it’s been proven they can’t do anything right, we’re already screwed 😂 might as well just hand the 2nd rounder to the colts now 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

I think the main thing to remember is that despite what Rivera says about Wentz publicly (positive or negative) is that there is a reason they are holding his future in Washington close to the vest and it's because he is on a team friendly contract beyond 2022.  They are going to give Wentz every chance possible to show what he has to offer, even if it is behind a bad O-line.  

They already know what they have in Heinicke and have made the determination it isn't a starting QB.  With Howell, you don't need to know what his ceiling is right now because he wasn't drafted high enough to need him to be a franchise QB.  He could very well end up a valuable back up here or elswhere in a few season.  He could also end up being a starting QB here or elsewhere.  You don't need the answer to that question right now, when it would mean putting him behind a  mediocre O-line.  

Once the team is out of contention and/or Wentz has played so poorly (and this is not foregone conclusion yet either) that you have turned the page on bringing him back, then you can focus on making sure he doesn't hit the 70% and go with the Howell evaluation for the remaining games, but I am telling you, this early in the season if you switch to Howell, it is sending a message to the team that the season is over as far as trying to win, and that is not saying Howell would be incapable of winning games, but rookie QB's rarely lead teams to the playoffs unless everything around them on the field is gold.  Behind this O-line Howell is going to be rushing throws, running for his life, and forced into bad decisions that might not normally happen for someone behind a better O-line and with more experience.  I wouldn't hold against Howell of course, but it still has an effect on the morale of the team. 

11 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

I saw someone on social media say the announcers during yesterday's game said something to the effect of Wentz admitted to them that trying to learn Turner's system was like "putting his brain in a blender".  Did anyone catch this?  I missed it (if it's even true).

Yep and it’s an indictment of Turner. Wentz, for all his faults, has a reputation of being exceptionally intelligent. Fitz the Harvard grad also struggled with Turner’s offense. His system is unnecessarily complicated

• Like 1

Just now, method man said:

Yep and it’s an indictment of Turner. Wentz, for all his faults, has a reputation of being exceptionally intelligent. Fitz the Harvard grad also struggled with Turner’s offense. His system is unnecessarily complicated

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't yesterday the first time we saw Wentz actually audible on some plays? Hadn't we previously been told that Turner either doesn't want the QB audibling, or doesn't even have the option in his offense to do it?  So maybe because of the situation, he finally broke down and decided to let Wentz do it in certain situations, and one of them yielded a TD.  So if that is true, then yeah it points to Turner being a part of the problem for not baking in more audibles or giving a veteran QB the freedom to audible under center when he sees something glaring about the formation of the defense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JSSkinz said:

Its ironic that he says "QB" but we have two 4-1 teams in the division who are winning without stud QB's.  Typically I would agree that the QB sets the tone and Wentz hasn't fulfilled that role buts its a strange season.  Teams in the NFC are not that good.

Just an odd statement to make, it comes off as him either not paying attention to his surroundings or winging the question.

Its all very nit picky but this is where I'm at with this team and Ron.

He did say O line, too.  Giants have a better O line than us now.  lol, I even see Giant fans on twitter saying now thank god they lost to us at the end of that season so we got Chase Young and they ended up with Andrew Thomas.  Thomas if I recall right now is the top rated LT according to PFF

• Like 1

Just now, NoCalMike said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't yesterday the first time we saw Wentz actually audible on some plays? Hadn't we previously been told that Turner either doesn't want the QB audibling, or doesn't even have the option in his offense to do it?  So maybe because of the situation, he finally broke down and decided to let Wentz do it in certain situations, and one of them yielded a TD.  So if that is true, then yeah it points to Turner being a part of the problem for not baking in more audibles or giving a veteran QB the freedom to audible under center when he sees something glaring about the formation of the defense.

I think Wentz was able to change protections before but Sunday was the first time he actually got to audible

2 hours ago, goskins10 said:

It looks like we are seeing the completion of the danification of Ron. It happens to every good person who comes to this godforsaken franchise owned by dan snyder. He literally brings out the worst in everything and every person he touches. 

I would not be surprised of Ron resignes at the end of the season. Don't get me wrong, he has made some really bad decisions and I was one of his biggest believers. But I do not think people realize how a cancer like dan can influence your decision making even when you think is doesn't. Not to mention what a toll the constant drama takes on you mentally. Still, Ron is a grown man so he owns the bad decisions. Cheif among them was not spending more resources on the Oline and ruining a Dline with a bunch of #1s on it. I get letting Scherff walk and even Flowers. But get better replacements. Maybe Ron was on a budget, but if so it's still on him to a certain extent. I do not think Carson was one of bad decisions honestly. Not because i like Carson or ever did. It was worth the gamble. $28M is actually not a lot to pay for a franchise QB. If he works out, you got a bargain. And again for those who keep ignoring it, you cannot place enough emphasis on then not being tied to him past this year. Look at the Broncos. How would we like to be tied to that contract with the way he is playing! Yikes! And we were in that battle to land him! 

Let Howell share snaps this week and get him ready during the mini bye. It's time. And for those saying not to put him behind thgat line - sorry but that really makes no real football sense. The guy either has it or he does not. If he is a starting NFL QB (I have my doubts but feels like our best chance right now) then he will figure out how to stay alive. He is a big elusive smart guy. I never like molly coddling players, especially rookies. Maybe you get cautious once you know what you have and not needlessly put them in harms way, like a Brady, Brees, Maning etc. with the POs coming up or at the end of a blowout. But you need to know what you have. If he works out, wow you have got a lot of resources to build a team around him. If he does not show the promise you need, sell out for the next draft. Everyone is available. Just get the guy you really want in this years draft. Then rebuild it right.

I do not think Ron will be fired this season even if they go 1-15. I just do not believe Dan thinks that way. But he may resign, or move to the FO and get a HC. At this point i would like to see someone start the next rebuild. My biggest complaint about dan and the team (I have many more about him personally) is he always saddled the next group with some of the worst parts of the previous group (Haskins (RIP), RGIII, etc) or give them someone they did not pick (MCNabb various OCs and DCs).  

Let someone finally start with a completely clean slate. I expect them to fail because, well dan. But probably time to try. 

Well said. @TSO used to elaborate on this point well years back.

His point was EVERY coach has weaknesses.  And those weaknesses are magnified here because you are in effect coaching with one hand tied behind your back.  So you are never at your best.  So your weaknesses are exposed more.

A good owner brings out the best of his hires not the worst.

I'll add that I am sure most here can relate to the idea that its harder to do a good job when you have distractions -- could be your kids, your spouse, family drama, work drama anything that's distracting.  Working for this team just about ALWAYS presents that challenge.  

So most people even those who don't like Dan are fairly unforgiving of these coaches.  They more or less say that the coaches just need to deal with it.  And or focus on their weaknesses.  Or say the coach made the mistake not Dan.  But just like we aren't at our best and more likely to not do our best work with distractions the same applies to these guys.  they are human.

I do sometimes too, I get annoyed.  But I try to catch myself and remind myself that its VERY hard to do a good job here -- and I typically take a lot of arrows from others, even those who don't like Dan when I do it but at the same time its an important point to make.  I don't think its random coincidence that Marty, Shanny, Gibbs -- heck even Norv were better coaching for other owners. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1

Either Ron threw his hand-picked QB under the bus... or he made a terrible gaffe while trying to make excuses for his coaching performance -- or lack there of -- this season.

Either way, I'm once again wondering what Ron is good at. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

I don't really take Rivera's comments as excuses.  He seems to admit he screwed up on the O line and it looked like he suggested QB, too.  Surprised he was that forthcoming.

I get people having issues with him perhaps throwing Wentz under the bus.  But I don't see at as passing the buck.  To me its the opposite, he's admitting they screwed up. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Thumb down 1

Listening to the Twitter clip of Ron's interview, it still sounds bad to me. The way Ron says "Quarterback" and just stares with a stony-faced silence at the reporters. The dead silence afterwards broken by reporters trying to clarify didn't sound like Ron trying to imply anything but it being the QB's fault.

• Thumb up 1

With the current coaching/FO staff in place, I seriously doubt that even IF they managed to draft a top notch QB they will not have the abilities or capacities to develop said QB.

Fast forward 2 years; a good college QB is drafted, and let's say the QB had a good year, regardless of record. The following year he regresses, struggles, throws alot of pics.

Then what?!  The pitchfork and torch crew come out { i'm guilty as well } saying the guy's washed up, he will not get over this, he'll be a perennial back-up at best, etc etc.

We saw this with Cousins, we saw it with TH, and i'm not in any way trying to make comparisons, but the 'sophomore slump' appears to be alive and well. The reasons could be many, but KC was a solid QB who struggled with fade routes; TH had some crazy illusiveness in his coming out game, playoffs no doubt, and everyone was shellshocked at how well he performed, and the hopes were high for next year, but it didn't happen that way, did it. 

This problem falls on coaching 100%. All QBs go through a slump here and there, but the difference here now is, Wentz is a seasoned veteran, who has absorbed knowledge from a number of offensive coaches, and currently the prospects of him turning things around do not look good.

Creative, forward-thinking OCs can make an average QB look pretty darn good, but Turner isn't that type of guy; I honestly do not think he's a good QB coach at this juncture, so even pondering the hopes of landing a top rated QB here will not do him any good if the OC cannot continually evolve the guy. 

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't really take Rivera's comments as excuses.  He seems to admit he screwed up on the O line and it looked like he suggested QB, too.  Surprised he was that forthcoming.

I get people having issues with him perhaps throwing Wentz under the bus.  But I don't see at as passing the buck.  To me its the opposite, he's admitting they screwed up. 

Then he should resign.

• Thanks 1

What really irks me about Rivera's comment about Wentz, is when I compare it to what is happening in the Ram's organization with their injury ridden O line, leading them to settle for second and third string players. Stafford's results are fairly equivalent.  Sean McVay is very open about Matt Stafford's struggles being the O line. Saying openly, they need to help him. Stafford has been sacked 21 times already and has only scored only 1 TD in the last 9 quarters.  And he has thrown 7 INT's and 5 TD's, with a QBR of 47.8.  Now, one thing I would concede is, maybe McVay is being generous with Stafford because they just came off a SB winning season? I don't know. He might have done exactly what Rivera did with Wentz in his press conference if they did not win it all last year.  But the fact is, Wentz had a decent O line last year in Indy and only threw 7 INT's all season. I just think Rivera is being perceptually narrow, and not considering all of the reasons for Wentz's struggles.  Some of it is definitely on him, but not all of it.  

So, while I agree with Alex Smith a bit regarding his take on Rivera, I think Alex may still be a little bitter about being let go by Rivera.

• Thanks 1

The fact of the matter is it’s a really, really bad sound bite.  Not only is it insulting to the QB you vowed to believe in, but it’s also a bogus claim.  

I don’t however think he meant it the way it came out.  He’s just on that end of the Snyder cycle where he can’t really believe what’s happening and just blurting out nonsense.  It happens to all of them.

• Thumb up 1

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I watched most of it, I was crushed when the Cards missed the 43 yard field goal at the end. 

19 minutes ago, Mooka said:

Ron likes to test his QBs.

We'll see how Wentz responds. 

Called out davis and now he's pretty good.

• Like 1