Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Colin Powell, former secretary of state and chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, dies due to complications from coronavirus

EmirOfShmo

Thank you for your service, sir. It says it was Covid but he also has been battling multiple myeloma for several years. Peace to his family.

Colin Powell, military leader and first Black US secretary of state, dies after complications from Covid-19

(CNN)Colin Powell, the first Black US secretary of state whose leadership in several Republican administrations helped shape American foreign policy in the last years of the 20th century and the early years of the 21st, has died from complications from Covid-19, his family said on Facebook. He was 84.

"General Colin L. Powell, former U.S. Secretary of State and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, passed away this morning due to complications from Covid 19," the Powell family wrote on Facebook.

"We have lost a remarkable and loving husband, father, grandfather and a great American," they said, noting he was fully vaccinated.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/18/politics/colin-powell-dies/index.html

• Sad 5

Colin L. Powell, a former secretary of state and chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, has died due to complications from coronavirus, according to a statement from his family.  In the statement posted on Facebook, his family said Powell was fully vaccinated and thanked the staff at Walter Reed National Medical Center for their treatment.

• Sad 1

RIP, Colin Powell.

Saw him give a great speech when I was at this little hippie farm college in Greensboro, NC.  They gave him the key to the city.  Then he took questions from the crowd.  Uppity college kids asking him about war, he gave great answers...even though what he was there for had nothing to do with speaking about war.

Class act.  I agree with @d0ublestr0ker0ll's sentiments, too.

• Like 1

Good Republican and a man of honor.

“He was a great public servant, starting with his time as a soldier during Vietnam. Many Presidents relied on General Powell’s counsel and experience. He was National Security Adviser under President Reagan, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff under my father and President Clinton, and Secretary of State during my Administration," the former president said in a statement on Monday morning. 

U.S. President-elect Bush (L) listens as retired General Colin Powell speaks to supporters and the press after Bush annouced Powell would serve as his Secretary of State in the his administration during a ceremony in Crawford, Texas, December 16, 2000. Powell served as Chairman of the Joints Chiefs of Staff under former President Bush's administration.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/remembering-colin-powell-former-president-bush-calls-him-a-great-public-servant

Edited by ClaytoAli

He was a great public servant over many decades.

I'm torn about his legacy because of the one most disastrous thing ... the case he made for the Iraq invasion that directly led to the deaths of half a million people. I'm sure most of the administration was out for blood and he was in part their messenger, but while he was certainly fed bad intel, a number of the claims he made were no more than circumstantial, and some were verifiably false. This was known at the time, not in hindsight.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I seem to recall Mr Powell feeling a bit set up over the Iraq stuff. But, don’t care to rehash it more than it has been. 

overall he was a great person on my view. I always felt like we’d be much better off if more our leaders were cut from the same clothe he was. 

• Like 2

Like many here, I have some mixed feelings about his legacy. Back then, I was a black republican and like Condi Rice, he was one of my heroes. Even though my political ideology has made a complete 180, I always felt he was a good person at heart. As for the Iraq stuff, I kind of think he took W. at his word regarding the interpretation of the intel when maybe he should have been more forceful about needing better proof.

However, in his final years, he absolutely showed his true colors by rejecting Tя☭mp, explicitly calling him a liar, and in the end disassociating himself from the Grand Oligarch's Party. FWIW, Condie Rice could learn a thing or two from him. Unlike Rice, I never ended up seeing Powell as an Uncle Tom.

Finally, he was the subject of some of the best rap lyrics ever, by Channel Live. I won't repeat it because it's not appropriate here but I bring it up to say not only was he the first black Sec. of State, AFAIK he's the only one to have ever been immortalized in rap music. RIP Brother.

Edited by The Sisko
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2