Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

#21 to be retired this weekend...

Renegade7

2 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Who cares if he's a "good guy"? If he doesn't "know how to do stuff" he needs to go. This is a multi billion dollar company he's president of not a corner Subway franchise.

Can't disagree. It's just that being a good guy by itself would represent a significant upgrade in SnyderLand. Not a substitute for competence, but that left the building a long time ago.

Edited by profusion
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, profusion said:

Can't disagree. It's just that being a good guy by itself would represent a significant upgrade in SnyderLand. Not a substitute for competence, but that left the building a long time ago.

It really doesn't ultimately matter how "good of a guy" someone is who works under Snyder. Eventually, their "good" is going to meet a brick wall and they'll be forced to either make a stand and push back/leave or choose their paycheck and figure out ways to justify things they know are wrong. There's absolutely no way Wright or anyone can accomplish much of lasting value when they're constrained by this pathetic ownership. Wright's probably had to compromise his principles already, like dismantling the entire cheerleader squad instead of leading the organization to make amends for how poorly those women were treated. I'm sure that ultimate decision came from Danya. 

• Like 3

i rarely comment on front office/org topics but this **** grates my nerves so bad. who is running pr/communications/marketing over there. great, this was planned months in advance. but how do you notify the public/fans 3 days before it's happening?! to know what he meant to the area and fans, this is a sham. of course the timing provides a layer horrible optics despite their planning explanations (no one cares about those tbh and they're pretty irrelevant considering the botched execution). 

and if this is being done before the game as mentioned? what a ****ty idea. Fedex is hardly ever even packed full of home fans and damn sure wont be packed before the game. and it's going to be even more of a embarrassment that we're going to get our asses handed to us and lose on this special day to a Mahomes who's looking to get back on track.

Sean deserved a roll out months in advance, hell announced when the schedule was released. a "circle this date/game" strategy even. this should have included content across all major socials (twitter, ig, fb), countdown posts, video content from past players and coaches, highlight clips from him, announcement of who would be in attendance to commemorate him/this moment and who would speak. posts/communications publicizing any special edition "merch" being handed out (these 10k towels smh) like, jesus. we get a tweet 3 days before. JP was heated on twitter and as usual we got dragged by other local media and fans for this cluster****. JW and everyone in that front office should be embarrassed. but how can you ask for that when that's been their perpetual state for 20yrs. 

and from a shallow, money-grab stand-point. you wanted a game/day where the stadium is packed? this was it. idk how the Chiefs fans travel, but even posts months prior endearing fans to make sure they dont miss this special, momentus moment would've probably had a sold out stadium of majority WFT fans. and not just locally, im pretty confident fans up and down the coast would've made the trek for this.

Sean deserved better than this, but i cant even be disappointed. it's just so ****ing exhausting.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, fearlessNelms said:

If Wright can't get retiring an all time franchise greats number right, wait until the debacle the new name and logo turns out to be- it's got disaster written all over it.

As NC21 said, Sean's number probably should've been retired in 2008 when they put him in the ROH.  However, three things can be true at the same time:

1) Sean was a special player who had the potential to be an all-time great.

2) Sean was tragically murdered less than four years into his NFL career.

3) Unfortunately, because of (2), Sean probably can't be considered an all-time franchise great.

I still don't blame people for being pissed for this likely being a last-minute attempt to get butts in the seats because the Skins are facing another embarrassing weekend with a bunch of Mahomes jerseys in the stands.

Edited by hail2skins
  • Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

I’ll be honest, I’ve made three grade-A posts in this thread that have not gotten the recognition they deserve.

Wait until it's revealed that ES got hacked and all our personal information got sold to Jerry Jones. Then ES will finally recognize your greatness in a not at all transparent attempt to distract from such a disgrace.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, GhostofSparta said:

Wait until it's revealed that ES got hacked and all our personal information got sold to Jerry Jones. Then ES will finally recognize your greatness in a not at all transparent attempt to distract from such a disgrace.

I’m taking my talents to Arlington.

38 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Bruce Allen threw a much better alumni weekend and harvest fest. I don't think Jason has accomplished anything on the business side that's an improvement over Bruce. The bar was set so incredibly low and yet he has screwed it up royally. 

In all fairness the dirt keeps coming uncovered for this team there’s not much he can do. It seems as if no matter when he does something positive it’ll be deemed as disingenuous and purposely done to distract from something. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Boss_Hogg said:

A part of me feels that Dan hired Jason just to be a fall guy or human shield. 

It was a necessary hire to weather the storm. Jason seems likeable but the dude is very naïve, completely overestimates his own abilities and underestimates the toxicity of everything to do with this franchise including the fans. It's a passionate rage full of cynicism and bitterness the fans have and he thinks he can turn it around with smiles and platitudes.  

He is in way over his head. End of the day, unless attendance improves, he's out. Add in this debacle plus the name change process which is beyond a crap show where all he is doing is virtue signaling and promoting himself and he is in for a very rude awaking. People are going to be out for his head when the new name is announced regardless of what it is.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb down 1

10 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

I dont agree, its alumi week, thats perfect time to do it.  But they should've given more notice for fans to make time for this.  My dad wants to go to the Bucs game, but if I had known this earlier I would've pushed for Chiefs game instead.  I have a 21 patch tattoo on my chest and showed it to his dad one year in Richmond, they botched this, but don't find it a malicious distraction.

Naive as hell.

• Thumb down 1

I don't usually get this upset for this long about stuff anymore - been learning to take things in stride. But this and everything else coming out of Ashburn has overtaken my brain completely and it's genuinely pissing me off. I feel like I've learned to process my emotions pretty well and I've even managed to make peace with the truly stark and horrific future that's in store for us on the grand scale but my God, this one really threw me for a loop and I'm teeming with rage. 

• Like 2

https://www.washingtonfootball.com/news/president-brief-an-apology-to-the-fans

President's Brief: An apology to the fans 

Oct 14, 2021 at 08:59 PM

jason-wright-headshot

Jason Wright

Team President

Almost every mistake starts off with the best of intentions…

What we wanted to do was make good on something we know was long overdue. Of all the football traditions, retiring numbers is especially symbolic and deeply reverential. So, prior to the season, we put a plan in place to retire the jerseys of some of the great men who helped build this historic franchise. Bobby Mitchell and Sean Taylor are the start of what we hope will become an honored tradition here as it is in many other places.

We knew alumni weekend was the right moment for us to retire #21 so that we could have several generations of legends there to honor their Burgundy & Gold brother. The plan included inviting a wide array of alumni, hosting Sean's family, including his daughter Jackie Taylor, his fiancé Jackie Garcia, his father Pedro, and his siblings; a community service event at a local school during which our alumni will build an outdoor learning lab in Sean's honor; and the rededication of Sean Taylor Road. We planned to do this right…

…But we screwed up the execution and, as a result, we realize that we hurt many of our fans deeply. And for that I and we as an organization are sorry.

We thought that saving the news for a game week reveal was the best way to focus the message on Sean and his legacy. We didn't realize that so many of you wanted to make a trip to FedExField to be present for this moment -- a true lack of understanding of what you, the lifeblood of this franchise, needed to mourn our collective loss and celebrate Sean's legacy.

As the guy who really wanted us to start honoring players better and differently -- in line with what they paid in the blood, sweat, and tears -- I'm angry and sad that we messed up your opportunity to honor Sean in person this weekend. I feel a pit in my stomach knowing how we have let so many of you down.

My hope is that you can meaningfully celebrate Sean as his jersey is retired this weekend and every time you travel down Sean Taylor Road -- this weekend and in the future. I hope those who make it to the game and watch on television will be able to joyously remember him with pride and bear witness to our planned tributes at pregame and halftime. And to make sure no one misses these events, am pleased to share that we will post the pregame tribute video and make the halftime ceremony available to all through a livestream that will be hosted on our social pages. More to come on this.

Additionally, because many of you have expressed interest in the rally towels, we are making these available for fans to purchase and are committing all proceeds to a legacy project in Sean's honor that will be led by his daughter, Jackie Taylor.

In all of this, I hope that as we host Pedro, Jackie and the family over the next few days that they will feel the intense love this organization has for them.

Whenever I can, I will keep it 100 with you all and this is one of the moments where I need to do that. I again offer my sincere apology to the fans for the unacceptably short notice of this momentous event. I hope that each of you finds a moment of deep connection with Sean's legacy whether or not you can join us in the stadium on Sunday.

• Thumb down 4

Lmaoooo. That presidents brief didn’t help at all. WOW. 

the name change stuff i have no problem with, a full on rebrand takes 12-18 months and they’ve stated that time after time. People are going to be impatient which i get, but i have no problem with how it’s been handled, aside from the confusing list of names that they had to correct people about twice. 

But this? Yeah, this i have an issue with. Just shut the **** up Jason and take this L and do better next time. 

• Thumb up 1

5 minutes ago, clietas said:

They plan on retiring more numbers? 🥱

One of the cool things about the Redskins was there was only one number retired. Most teams go overboard with it. Ugh just screams of more desperation by selling nostalgia. 

On the bright side, both Jeff Bostic and Jon Bostic wore 53.  So they can get both Bostics with one retired number.

• Haha 6