Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

#21 to be retired this weekend...

Renegade7

7 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I'm actually fairly angry about this.

It's being used as a distraction rather than respect ST21 the way that he needs to be.

They could have done this many times over many years and now they haphazardly decide that this is the week in order to distract us from our awful franchise's inability to run as a professional organization.

I'm upset that Sean Taylor and his family aren't good enough to warrant the proper respect that they deserve.

I was going to post basically the same thing.  I've worshiped Sean since 2004, so this isn't some martyrdom fan ****, and this could've been done any day since November 27, 2007.  The Ring of Honor was the time to do it if we were going to officially do it.  We don't retire a lot of numbers, we just have some that are off limits and effectively retired.  7, 9 (aside from Spurrier), 17 (except with Williams's blessing), 21, 28, 81, and I'm sure I'm missing a couple.  

The retirement seems unnecessary, forced, tainted, and done with an ulterior motive.  I'm seriously pissed.

6 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Not the time to be doing this, quite an incredible misjudgment. #21 holds the key to an enormous section of the younger fan base. Not the thing to screw up right now. 

Jason Wright will struggle to work back from this one.

Yeah I'm pretty disheartened that Jason Wright would let this happen.  Knocked him down a few pegs in my eyes.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

The more I think about this the more upset I’m getting. It actually amplifies the way things are run. Is this the worst thing our front office has done? No. Of course not. And the intent to honor him is obvious.

But if they think we are dumb enough to sit back and say, “hey, it’s ST21! Let’s all fly to the game (or drive, or change plans), get tickets, find someplace to stay, and celebrate Sean!” I think they’re in for a fairly rude awakening. 

ST21 means more to me and us than a 3 day notice to the retirement of his number. This should be an event announced in the offseason. This should be something where we have time to get our **** together as a fanbase so we can properly show his family what ST meant to all of us. 

I know the answer to this is “yes” but do they really think they can hide the stink from this fanbase by doing this? Or that we aren’t intelligent enough to see through the ruse and see this for what it is? A distraction?

They are USING Sean. And his family. And his friends. It’s almost as if they are weaponizing him.

Enough is enough. 

This franchise uses him to hide the unconscionable actions that the owner and previous front office regimes are responsible for.

Im not going to say I’m done with the franchise because I’m not. Washington football is what I know. 

But this? To hide how awful the previous regimes (and the owner) have been? Unacceptable.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

15 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

The retirement seems unnecessary, forced, tainted, and done with an ulterior motive.  I'm seriously pissed.

Yeah I'm pretty disheartened that Jason Wright would let this happen.  Knocked him down a few pegs in my eyes.

Looks forced to me. Really bad timing. Worse that bad actually. Far worse.

As for being disheartened, I can understand that. Sadly that is more damaging than the word ‘disheartened’ makes you think. Borderline unforgivable.

• Like 1

The other funny thing is people are coming out and saying that they were asked weeks ago to be here for this (Ryan Clark, apparently).

Thats great. I’m glad it’s not being planned three days before. However, it reeks of ineptitude that our President decided to tell the fanbase 3 days before. Or at least tell us en masse in that fashion. So it’s either a bad distraction or ineptitude. Which is it, WFT? 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, KDawg said:

The more I think about this the more upset I’m getting. It actually amplifies the way things are run. Is this the worst thing our front office has done? No. Of course not. And the intent to honor him is obvious.

But if they think we are dumb enough to sit back and say, “hey, it’s ST21! Let’s all fly to the game (or drive, or change plans), get tickets, find someplace to stay, and celebrate Sean!” I think they’re in for a fairly rude awakening. 

ST21 means more to me and us than a 3 day notice to the retirement of his number. This should be an event announced in the offseason. This should be something where we have time to get our **** together as a fanbase so we can properly show his family what ST meant to all of us. 

I know the answer to this is “yes” but do they really think they can hide the stink from this fanbase by doing this? Or that we aren’t intelligent enough to see through the ruse and see this for what it is? A distraction?

They are USING Sean. And his family. And his friends. It’s almost as if they are weaponizing him.

Enough is enough. 

This franchise uses him to hide the unconscionable actions that the owner and previous front office regimes are responsible for.

Im not going to say I’m done with the franchise because I’m not. Washington football is what I know. 

But this? To hide how awful the previous regimes (and the owner) have been? Unacceptable.

I feel like I've been stewing in this all day long and I'm getting madder and madder. This isn't even about the football - we've gone beyond football here. This is just basic human decency and ability to read the room. This is on brand for this franchise but even this is some next level ghoulishness. 

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I think that the timing is suspect too.  It does feel dirty and, just when I didn't think that WFT could stoop any lower, they trot this out but......that being said.....

....given the the way so many "fans"  piss and moan, and complain about this organizations every move, (and I share many of those same feelings), and with all of the "I'll never go to that dump!" and "FedEx sucks, I won't attend another game there!"   "As long as Snyder owns the team, I won't go to another game!" etc.

How many of the folks posting and saying those types of things, would've actually attended this, even if the team announced it a year in advance?

2 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I think that the timing is suspect too.  It does feel dirty and, just when I didn't think that WFT could stoop any lower, they trot this out but......that being said.....

....given the the way so many "fans"  piss and moan, and complain about this organizations every move, (and I share many of those same feelings), and with all of the "I'll never go to that dump!" and "FedEx sucks, I won't attend another game there!"   "As long as Snyder owns the team, I won't go to another game!" etc.

How many of the folks posting and saying those types of things, would've actually attended this, even if the team announced it a year in advance?

Probably a lot. I would have tried and I live 7 hours away.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

Uh...yes.

The ineptitude comes from the fact that Wright, to me, is more interested in peddling feel-good buzz words and industry speak than getting a real handle on what this organization means to the few fans who remain. And this is the guy leading the ****ING NAME CHANGE OF THIS ORGANIZATION, one we'll be stuck with forever. Good guy? Whatever, I don't care at this point. All I see is crap, everywhere, and he has little to no effect in making any meaningful change as far as I can see. But hey, at least there's another "President's Brief" to look forward to. 

Grant Paulsen is right on the money talking about this. "There isn't anyone in the building who knows that Gregg Williams' name is spelled with two G's." 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

Probably a lot. I would have tried and I live 7 hours away.

You're probably in the minority.   I guess that we'll never know.

If some of these posters feel as strongly about ST as they claim, (at least the one's who live nearby), they would make the effort.  

Tickets are cheap.

If nothing else, they could use it as an excuse to **** on FedEx field some more 😉

9 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Here. My dad and I have been going back and forth on the cheifs or bucs game since the schedule release and this would've sealed it for both of us.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Me

ST was a favorite of mine.  Still get choked up watching highlights of him playing.  Saw ST play live in person and cherish that memory.  I bought tickets to the Raiders game and had I known I likely would be on my to DC tomorrow.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

You're probably in the minority.   I guess that we'll never know.

If some of these posters feel as strongly about ST as they claim, (at least the one's who live nearby), they would make the effort.  

Tickets are cheap.

If nothing else, they could use it as an excuse to **** on FedEx field some more 😉

Tickets aren't any cheaper than they have been all season, and we've seen the results in the stands. This is the team seeing more of the same, except with a ton more #15 Chiefs jerseys there, and they're desperately trying to get fans to show up. I might be wrong, but I doubt a brief pregame ceremony honoring #21 is going to move the needle a lot.

• Like 2