Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

#21 to be retired this weekend...

Renegade7

A friend of Taylor's parents called into the Junkies and said that they wanted Sean's parents there on Saturday for the street dedication but they couldn't because Sean's brother (?) plays at Rice and they wanted to attend his game in Texas on Saturday. And apparently there was uncertainty about whether the Taylors would be able to make it Sunday because of all the issues Southwest has been having.

To which Lurch replied "then why doesn't dumb*** Snyder offer his plane for their travel?"  Classic!

EB was speculating that its possible that maybe they wanted to surprise the Taylors at the game by retiring his number. But maybe someone at the last minute realized that having this ceremony in front of a half-empty stadium wouldn't be a good look, and hence why they made the announcement yesterday to try and coax people to the game at the last minute.

Edited by hail2skins
  • Like 1

Sheehan makes it pretty obvious on his show this morning that the initial plan, and the ONLY plan, was to "rededicate" Sean Taylor Road this Sunday. That's why the family was invited and why a few players were invited. He got this info through calls and communications with other players, including Cooley, who says he was contacted by Tim Hightower to attend the alumni weekend but that Sean was NEVER mentioned to him. 

Combined with the only 10,000 towels available, which clearly points to a rush job order, it's clear at this point that the retirement of the jersey was a last minute decision and that Wright is lying in his "brief." It's also pretty obvious that the sudden decision came from someone else. Gee, who could that be? Lol. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, TK said:

We didn't realize that so many of you wanted to make a trip to FedExField to be present for this moment -- a true lack of understanding of what you, the lifeblood of this franchise, needed to mourn our collective loss and celebrate Sean's legacy.

^ This is the clown who is in charge of the new name.  Let that sink in.

I was going to type some long message about how angry I am about this, and how every fan should have the same level of anger...but then I realized there are probably thousands of fans who are simply just 'meh' about it...because they are used to it at this point.  There has been 20+ years of the same ineptitude.  People thinking that hiring someone who has a nice smile and writes "briefs" who is "transparent" to be the team President, and a coach who lamented winning the division last year is somehow going to be the turning point that turns this franchise in the right direction are in for a rude awakening.  Maybe this is the thing that opens there eyes.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dissident2 said:

"Happy Thanksgiving, everyone." 

"The culture is actually damn good."

"We're winning off the field."

"We didn't realize that so many of you wanted to make a trip to FedExField to be present for this moment."

Welcome to the club, Jason!

In his defense, nobody has wanted to come out for any of the other home games, i guess he severely (and stupidly) underestimated how much more would be here for a ceremony with advance notice 😂 

Edited by Cooleyfan1993

41 minutes ago, Dissident2 said:

Sheehan makes it pretty obvious on his show this morning that the initial plan, and the ONLY plan, was to "rededicate" Sean Taylor Road this Sunday. That's why the family was invited and why a few players were invited. He got this info through calls and communications with other players, including Cooley, who says he was contacted by Tim Hightower to attend the alumni weekend but that Sean was NEVER mentioned to him. 

Combined with the only 10,000 towels available, which clearly points to a rush job order, it's clear at this point that the retirement of the jersey was a last minute decision and that Wright is lying in his "brief." It's also pretty obvious that the sudden decision came from someone else. Gee, who could that be? Lol. 

This is what makes the most sense.  It jives with what Ryan Clark said too.  And then with all this crap swirling this week, dickbag Snyder decided to go defcon 4 and just retire his jersey.  And Jason Wright is in the crossheirs for it.

I dont even feel bad for Jason though.  This is what he signed up for.  Its disappointing he couldnt get the plan changed so **** him too.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, FrFan said:

oh567ocdngt71.jpg

This dude is supposed to change the culture !

Why does it feel we hired people to earn brownie points for diversity rather than actually hiring for best people? I’ve yet to be impressed with the new FO folks. Unless they are being handcuffed in their roles I’m not even slightly impressed.

7 minutes ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

Why does it feel we hired people to earn brownie points for diversity rather than actually hiring for best people? I’ve yet to be impressed with the new FO folks. Unless they are being handcuffed in their roles I’m not even slightly impressed.

Why does it feel you keep focusing on the word diversity and all the implications?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

It doesn't matter how good or capable someone is when they come here. Reverse car wash. Even Gibbs left the Snyder regime with a losing record. Formerly great players come in ... and suck. Formerly great coaches come in ... and suck. Supposedly great business minds come in ... and suck. If the Dalai Lama was hired tomorrow as team president, he'd be instigating fist fights in the locker room within months. Danya gonna Danya. 

• Haha 4

12 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

Why does it feel you keep focusing on the word diversity and all the implications?

What implications? The FO folks so far have not instilled confidence.  The WSH Twitter and Facebook literally made a big deal every hire about how diverse they were now all off season as trying to signal a culture change. So far the lack of accountability and excuses are as bad as ever.   So other the FO we hired are simply not getting to do their jobs  correctly which is par for the course for the franchise or they are in positions they possibly shouldn’t be.   It’s still early but I haven’t been impressed by Wright tbh. 

1 minute ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

What implications? The FO folks so far have not instilled confidence.  The WSH Twitter and Facebook literally made a big deal every hire about how diverse they were now all off season as trying to signal a culture change. So far the lack of accountability and excuses are as bad as ever.   So other the FO we hired are simply not getting to do their jobs  correctly which is par for the course for the franchise or they are in positions they possibly shouldn’t be.   It’s still early but I haven’t been impressed by Wright tbh. 

I think you can put 2 and 2 together.

20 minutes ago, theTruthTeller said:

If nothing else, I've learned something from this debacle.  I had no clue that Coldplay was still around.  They actually had a decent number of views for their last song on youtube, so good for them.  

My ex gf dragged me to that concert at FedEx last time (We were still together then) as no one else she knew would go lol. 

7 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

I think you can put 2 and 2 together.

If you are making some serious reaches based on me not being impressed with the FO especially Wright’s excuses then I think it’s best we stop replying to each other tbh.  Think given how this franchise has operated over the last 30 years its fair to question the motive of every action they take…

Edited by RichmondRedskin88

1 hour ago, Dissident2 said:

This is great intel from Sheehan.

And before everyone yells "fake news" or "he's a hater" Sheehan has been plugged into this franchise for decades. He keeps in touch with many former players, coaches, and staff. 

35 minutes ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

I did not want to be the first to point this out but its starting to feel this way. This is snyder's modus operandi. Find a human shield, or better yet find a minority so the fans and press will go easier on said sheild for fear of being branded a racist or sexist. Why else did he give Tanya more control over operations? 

When the team name debate was volatile, Dan hired an indigenous man (who was a legit Skins fan and not a plant) from Montana to oversee gameday experience at FedEx field. When the name changed, the young man was let go. It had nothing to do with the pandemic but the fact that Dan did not need an indigenous shield any longer.

I hope I'm wrong about all of this. I like Jason, he's the antithesis of Bruce Allen in both intellect and professionalism; I just feel that Jason has entered into a situation that cannot be saved. Same with Coach Rivera. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

The timing is suspicious as hell.  This could have been announced weeks/months ago.

It appears to be nothing more than an afterthought.  IMO, it's an insult to Sean Taylor, his family, his friends, his fans, and professional football in general.  Many more people would be attending if they would have known at least a few weeks in advance.  And wouldn't you retire his number during a game that Washington is more likely to win without the risk of being totally embarrassed?  It reeks of desperation, insensitivity, and narcissism.  We continue to be a laughingstock, not just in the NFL, but in all of sports.

The media has been rightfully portraying this team and organization as losers on and off the field since Dan Snyder became the owner.  Well that legacy has continued unabated so far this season.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Boss_Hogg said:

I did not want to be the first to point this out but its starting to feel this way. This is snyder's modus operandi. Find a human shield, or better yet find a minority so the fans and press will go easier on said sheild for fear of being branded a racist or sexist. Why else did he give Tanya more control over operations? 

When the team name debate was volatile, Dan hired an indigenous man (who was a legit Skins fan and not a plant) from Montana to oversee gameday experience at FedEx field. When the name changed, the young man was let go. It had nothing to do with the pandemic but the fact that Dan did not need an indigenous shield any longer.

I hope I'm wrong about all of this. I like Jason, he's the antithesis of Bruce Allen in both intellect and professionalism; I just feel that Jason has entered into a situation that cannot be saved. Same with Coach Rivera. 

Anyone that doesn’t question our franchise’s motives on anything they do at this point must be putting their head in the sand.  We’re on a thread literally questioning the motives of a Jersey retirement.  We might have one of the worst owners in sports running us but he’s not stupid.  His actions are very calculated and I really put nothing pass at this point.  

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Boss_Hogg said:

This is great intel from Sheehan.

And before everyone yells "fake news" or "he's a hater" Sheehan has been plugged into this franchise for decades. He keeps in touch with many former players, coaches, and staff. 

At this point, anyone caping for the Snyders is either

-A member of the family

-A friend of the family

-A member of the front office

-A rube 

14 minutes ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

Anyone that doesn’t question our franchise’s motives on anything they do at this point must be putting their head in the sand.  

Disagree.  For peace of mind, I wish I could give them benefit of the doubt on certain things, especially with recent overhaul of front office.  But we are getting similar results despite that, so I totally get questioning everything.  That's not denial, thats taking a step back before I jump on them for everything they do. 

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Disagree.  For peace of mind, I wish I could give them benefit of the doubt on certain things, especially with recent overhaul of front office.  But we are getting similar results despite that, so I totally get questioning everything.  That's not denial, thats taking a step back before I jump on them for everything they do. 

I’m beyond peace of mind I guess.  I was a late 80s kid so I have nothing but bad memories year wise except like moments with Brad Johnson’s great 1999 year, 2005,2007( Everytime  a non WSH tells me we’ve hit bottom I go no there will never be lower then ST death.),2012,etc.Like atleast when we sucked it was just the field.  Now we’re just embarrassing.  Given that’s partially the result of social media, leaks, etc now but I mean I’d take the 2000s in a heartbeat to the state now.  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Boss_Hogg said:

It can be saved if Dan Snyder is forced out. Easier said than done, I know.

1 hour ago, Boss_Hogg said:

We all hated Bruce, but Bruce did not lack intellect. He got so lazy at the end and assumed everyone was an idiot so he came across as an idiot himself. That guy was calculating. He was GM of 3 NFL franchises and voted executive of the year in 2002. Jason’s role is very limited and to compare him to Bruce is ridiculous.  Brian Lafemina is the more appropriate comparison.

As far as professionalism they both lack it. However, Bruce would not be naive enough to lie so blatantly that he could easily get caught about the number retirement like Jason did. Bruce would have been more nuanced. Jason Wright was caught in a lie and doubled down like a panicked kid. He will never recover from that. Not after telling the fans he’s being 100 with them while he was lying. 

At least Bruce knew the history and grew up around it and lived it. Jason doesn’t know jack about this franchise or history or the fans. The guy is in way over his head even for his limited role. Any other time in history it wouldn’t matter, but this clown is running the name change we are going to have to live with until we die. That’s my issue with him. There have been a long line of worthless people at their job come through here. He’s no different, but he will leave a permanent stain given the name change.

19 minutes ago, Recovering_Spaz said:

It can be saved if Dan Snyder is forced out. Easier said than done, I know.

Or if we win the next 5 Super Bowls in a row. My scenario has a better chance than what you describe. 

Edited by SoCalSkins