Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

#21 to be retired this weekend...

Renegade7

Washington will retire Pro Bowler, Ring of Fame member Sean Taylor's number during alumni homecoming weekend

https://www.washingtonfootball.com/news/washington-retire-sean-taylor-number

Washington will retire Pro Bowler, Ring of Fame member Sean Taylor's number during alumni homecoming weekend
Oct 14, 2021 at 08:58 AM

Washington Football Team Public Relations
Washington Football Team Public Relations

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va., Oct. 14, 2021 -- During the Washington Football Team's October 17th matchup against the Kansas City Chiefs, the team will honor nearly 100 alumni at FedExField, while also paying a special tribute to Washington alumnus and football legend, Sean Taylor. Taylor's family will join the team on-field for a pre-game ceremony in which Taylor's contributions to the team will be remembered alongside the retirement of his jersey number, 21. This will mark only the third time in the team's 89-year history that a jersey number will be officially retired.

The team also will formally commemorate the renaming of the road leading to FedExField as Sean Taylor Road with family and friends of Taylor before the game. Sean Taylor's family will have the opportunity for a private visit at Taylor's locker on the Club Level, which has been perfectly preserved from his last game, and will enjoy the game from specially reserved suites. Co-owners Dan and Tanya Snyder were especially close with Taylor and view him as an important part of the team's legacy. They have remained supportive of his family over the years and will be helping to host the family during the game.

Kinda wish we got more notice then this, but good move none the less.  Still miss him, RIP.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Sad 3

3 minutes ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

The timing is suspicious as hell.  This could have been announced weeks/months ago.

I dont agree, its alumi week, thats perfect time to do it.  But they should've given more notice for fans to make time for this.  My dad wants to go to the Bucs game, but if I had known this earlier I would've pushed for Chiefs game instead.  I have a 21 patch tattoo on my chest and showed it to his dad one year in Richmond, they botched this, but don't find it a malicious distraction.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

My dad wants to go to the Bucs game, but if I had known this earlier I would've pushed for Chiefs game instead. 

A lot of fans would. Which is why this is nothing more than a way to distract attention away from the Wilkinson report. For a business struggling with sales you don't wait until the last minute to announce something like this. Harvestfest, I mean Alumni week, is such a joke with this franchise. 

Edited by clietas
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

11 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I dont agree, its alumi week, thats perfect time to do it.  But they should've given more notice for fans to make time for this.  My dad wants to go to the Bucs game, but if I had known this earlier I would've pushed for Chiefs game instead.  I have a 21 patch tattoo on my chest and showed it to his dad one year in Richmond, they botched this, but don't find it a malicious distraction.

I wish I had your kind of optimism about this organization because I 100% smell a rat. It's not that close to his Death Date and it's falling on the 14th anniversary of his death. That's not exactly a "milestone" year.

All that, plus the short notice announcment *and* with the billowing, suffocating, toxic, PR smoke coming out of Ashburn - yeah, I dunno about this one.

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, thebluefood said:

I wish I had your kind of optimism about this organization because I 100% smell a rat. It's not that close to his Death Date and it's falling on the 14th anniversary of his death. That's not exactly a "milestone" year.

All that, plus the short notice announcment *and* with the billowing, suffocating, toxic, PR smoke coming out of Ashburn - yeah, I dunno about this one.

I get it, I really do, im so angry that im not angry, and when I get like that I have to take a step back.  On the surface, it does look like a PR stunt, but they so badly needed to do this, like yesterday, that im willing to let that go this time.  I have to for peace of mind.

18 minutes ago, mojo said:

We lost the game right after he passed and now we’re going to get shellacked on the day his jersey is retired.   Classic Redskins

Worst safety play in years, we gonna miss him even more this Sunday.  We should bench Collins and play with 10 players, can't be much worse.

• Like 1

At this point what is worse?  

*Using Sean Taylor and the retiring of his jersey number as a poor attempt to distract the fan base during an on going scandal.

Or (if it wasn't done as a distraction)

*Having such little respect for Sean and the fan base who loved him passionately to only give three days notice to the retirement of his jersey number.

• Like 9

I saw someone saying they wished the franchise wasn't a joke year after year. How about day after day. This has got to be one of the most horribly run franchises in all of sports. This franchise respects no one. No player, coach, nor fan. It is the biggest **** show. They are basically pissing on Taylor now to move the headlines. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

It's not malicious.  It's just tone deaf stupidity.

I said it in the other thread, I'll say it here.  It ****ing sucks that all this team has right now, and has had for years, is to hold onto the past.  To trot out 3 Super Bowl trophies that are dusty as ****, old players that haven't seen the field in 15+ years and play highlights of games that haven't taken place in over 20 years...just to remind us that they haven't been good in SO LONG.  

And then you take the ONE GUY.  THE ONE GUY who was tragically killed and want to lift him up, celebrate him.  The ONE GUY that this fan base can rally behind...and you want to retire his jersey and you give the fanbase FOUR ****ING DAYS NOTICE.  IF YOU CAN'T EVEN DO THAT RIGHT WHAT CAN YOU DO RIGHT.

There's evidence that this has been planned for weeks, maybe even months.  I believe JP Finlay.  I agree that this isn't some half assed distraction to the WFT emails that are threatening to be released.

But when your incompetence shows, it sure looks that way.  When you can't trust a team to do things right, even the things that are done with the best intentions look bad.  

• Like 7

Pathetic as usual. I thought Jason Wright was supposed to keep things like this from happening. What a disgrace to Sean. To let people know on THURSDAY before the game that his number is being retired, lol. The most beloved player the team has had since the Gibbs I years. Whatev. 

• Like 7

Why should we be surprised.  Man, I can just see it, all of them on a Zoom call, "Hey did you see those numbers on ESPN?"  "yeah, we're last in attendance"  "Well, what are we going to do about it?"  "Hey, I have an idea"  

Just when I think they cannot make it any easier for me not to attend, watch or purchase merchandise, they continue to find ways to alienate what is left of the fan base.

• Like 3