Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Death of a Fanbase

BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93

Regarding gameday atmosphere: winning consistently absolutely plays the biggest role but also accessibility to the stadium and a seat therein. I remember finding a ticket stub online from 1987 - lower bowl seats at RFK. The price was much lower than a ticket today but I figured it was just a matter of inflation. Ran it through the inflation calculator, though, and it was still *far less expensive* than a comparable seat at FedEx Field.

And to be sure, this was not a scab game. This was after the strike ended, for a team that was constantly in the hunt for the Super Bowl and would go on to win one that season. Regular, work-a-day folks could afford to go to RFK Stadium when the franchise was at their best. Maybe it's because the land was on federal government property and there was a cap on what they charge but they were accessible. And on top of that, RFK is Metro accessible - get off your train, go up the escalator, walk around the corner at the armory, cross the street and you're there. Meanwhile, the walk from Morgan Boulevard is wretched. That may not be a huge factor on the surface but for folks who can't afford parking or ride shares (or otherwise don't want to) that's no small consideration. Makes a big difference between seeing this team vs. the Nats, Caps, and Wizards.

Working class fans of the NFL - maybe even throughout big league sports in North America - are getting priced out of stadiums. I dunno how this franchise compares to others but I have to imagine it's one of the more dire situations.

Edit: not the stub I found - this is for the Mezzanine section. But it's still less than $80 in today's money. And for a division match-up against the defending Super Bowl Champions. 

https://images.app.goo.gl/z4DtmZf3Zh7FXBFr8

Edited by thebluefood
  • Like 1

I am going to be traveling this Sunday and next Sunday and I'm glad that I physically won't be able to watch the game this Sunday.  I may be able to watch it next weekend, if there is somehow I can get it while on the flight.  But I arrive at 1pm this Sunday and won't be around any TV to even watch it for a while.

And I'm not mad.  At all.

And I have watched every game the past 2 decades unless situations like this have came up.

Edited by purbeast
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

The whole city/suburbs would go CRAZY for Dallas Week. Not even a yawn now...

nope not even. Its sad it sucks I hate it but there's nothing I can do half my friends who were diehard do dunkaroos at the tailgates before games don't even care anymore. 

• Like 1

A while back I remember seeing an old WaPo classfied ad section from when the team was in RFK. This was before the days of Stubhub and people would advertise their tickets routinely in the $150-200 per seat range.

I came across this WaPo special section on when FedEx (then JKC Stadium) opened:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/redskins/longterm/1997/stadium/special/front.htm

Edited by hail2skins

7 hours ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

nope not even. Its sad it sucks I hate it but there's nothing I can do half my friends who were diehard do dunkaroos at the tailgates before games don't even care anymore. 

....what are dunkaroos? And why would doing a dunkaroo point to not caring anymore? I’m assuming it’s alcohol related? 

Just now, Cooleyfan1993 said:

....what are dunkaroos? And why would doing a dunkaroo point to not caring anymore? I’m assuming it’s alcohol related? 

basically went from doing a handstand on a cooler to dipping your head in ice water for 5 seconds then getting right side up and shotgunning a beeer and saying HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!! only that these people no longer even COME to the games they are done they have other more important things to do since in their eyes we will never get it right so they have grown up and its simply not worth their time anymore at the very least i dont do dunkaroos anymore but i show up to game day to support the team but im 1 outta 10 and if i go its zero outta ten....how can this even be?? how am i the last fan standing out of bunch of friends that were born between 86-91, nobody complains that they are "too old" the complaint is that its not worth their time. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

basically went from doing a handstand on a cooler to dipping your head in ice water for 5 seconds then getting right side up and shotgunning a beeer and saying HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!! only that these people no longer even COME to the games they are done they have other more important things to do since in their eyes we will never get it right so they have grown up and its simply not worth their time anymore at the very least i dont do dunkaroos anymore but i show up to game day to support the team but im 1 outta 10 and if i go its zero outta ten....how can this even be?? how am i the last fan standing out of bunch of friends that were born between 86-91, nobody complains that they are "too old" the complaint is that its not worth their time. 

You guys will be back. Trust me.

• Thanks 1

HTTR! is all i can say to close this thread out and send it to the abyss  H T T R. I never won anything supporting the REDSKINS, but at least im not a "COWBOY" that has never been to dallas or a "PATRIOT" thats now a bucs fan, Politics took my beloved team from me and its gone and i accept it, so now im free to pick my new team so bring on the new name already and let me choose or forever hold my peace.

Edited by CjSuAvE22
  • Thumb down 3

9 hours ago, thebluefood said:

Regarding gameday atmosphere: winning consistently absolutely plays the biggest role but also accessibility to the stadium and a seat therein. I remember finding a ticket stub online from 1987 - lower bowl seats at RFK. The price was much lower than a ticket today but I figured it was just a matter of inflation. Ran it through the inflation calculator, though, and it was still *far less expensive* than a comparable seat at FedEx Field.

And to be sure, this was not a scab game. This was after the strike ended, for a team that was constantly in the hunt for the Super Bowl and would go on to win one that season. Regular, work-a-day folks could afford to go to RFK Stadium when the franchise was at their best. Maybe it's because the land was on federal government property and there was a cap on what they charge but they were accessible. And on top of that, RFK is Metro accessible - get off your train, go up the escalator, walk around the corner at the armory, cross the street and you're there. Meanwhile, the walk from Morgan Boulevard is wretched. That may not be a huge factor on the surface but for folks who can't afford parking or ride shares (or otherwise don't want to) that's no small consideration. Makes a big difference between seeing this team vs. the Nats, Caps, and Wizards.

Working class fans of the NFL - maybe even throughout big league sports in North America - are getting priced out of stadiums. I dunno how this franchise compares to others but I have to imagine it's one of the more dire situations.

Edit: not the stub I found - this is for the Mezzanine section. But it's still less than $80 in today's money. And for a division match-up against the defending Super Bowl Champions. 

https://images.app.goo.gl/z4DtmZf3Zh7FXBFr8

Parking is $80+ when counting fees this season. Outrageous 

• Like 1

My wife and I almost bought the three game package tickets a few weeks ago. I’m so glad we didn’t fall for the okiedoke. 
I refuse to support a franchise that continuously crushes my hopes.

I will not buy anything that will monetarily help this franchise.

The love I once had for this team is just no longer there.

I wish I felt different. 

• Sad 1

49 minutes ago, Mpvanskins said:

My wife and I almost bought the three game package tickets a few weeks ago. I’m so glad we didn’t fall for the okiedoke.

Good move.  A friend sent me the email he got on that. Didn't it start at like $300 per seat, and that got you three games.

The demand to go to games is non-existent. Barring a big late season run, I shudder to think what the crowd is going to be like for the first game next season. I think they are seriously gonna lobby to open against Dallas.

The last 5 years in particular, really since the GB playoff game at FedEx, has killed the fanbase. 

I am betting more and more this team leaves DC by the end of the decade. London would work. What locality in the DC area is going to give Dan Snyder money for a stadium? Where is the constituency for this franchise? 

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, SkinsHokieFan said:

The last 5 years in particular, really since the GB playoff game at FedEx, has killed the fanbase. 

I am betting more and more this team leaves DC by the end of the decade. London would work. What locality in the DC area is going to give Dan Snyder money for a stadium? Where is the constituency for this franchise? 

No where near FedEx Field.

RIP.

Me and the family had a horrible game day experience.  Now I remember why I haven't been back since 2008.  Son-in-law's first NFL game.  Had to sit in a broken seat.  The product on the field and off the field is pathetic.  As long as we have the same idiot owning the team, nothing will ever change.  

I'm taking a long, long break.  Probably until the NFL rescues this dumpster fire.  

Take care.

• Thumb up 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

The next stadium will be right next to FedEx on that same plot of land 

I know this has happened at other places like the Meadowlands and Denver, but the Skins have zero remotely good memories in this current hellhole. Unless this team wins the SB in the next 2 years (lol), if they were to announce the new stadium was going to be built next to FedEx, I would find the nearest bomb shelter to escape the shock waves that would come from whatever is left of this fanbase.