Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things defense

ThomasRoane

1 hour ago, No Nonsense said:

For a 6th round pick? We couldn’t offer a 5th? SMH

Is there a team though with three corners making over 10 million?  I am not sure.  But with Gilmore supposedly wanting 15 not sure how that flows.  Jackson 13.  Fuller 10.  Gilmore 15.  That's a lot of money for one spot. 

• Thumb up 1

Teams are definitely getting the ball out quickly but that doesn't explain our 3rd down and medium/long defense. It is unexplainable how our team went from a top 10 3rd down defense last year to the worst team in the NFL by far. Anytime a qb needs to hold on to the ball, they seem to have no problems doing so.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Is there a team though with three corners making over 10 million?  I am not sure.  But with Gilmore supposedly wanting 15 not sure how that flows.  Jackson 13.  Fuller 10.  Gilmore 15.  That's a lot of money for one spot. 

I wouldn’t have a problem renting him for the rest of the season. If he made our D better, it would have been worth it. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, GOATFrerotte said:

Teams are definitely getting the ball out quickly but that doesn't explain our 3rd down and medium/long defense. It is unexplainable how our team went from a top 10 3rd down defense last year to the worst team in the NFL by far. Anytime a qb needs to hold on to the ball, they seem to have no problems doing so.

Scouting report.  There are guys on the field that shouldn't be.  So QBs and OCs know exactly where to go with the ball on any given concept.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was just watching Hudson highlights and it sounds like they used him as The Viper in their d.  A lot of his highlights seem to be as a fifth edge rusher. I wonder if we will use him the same way or totally waste his talents trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. We could use help getting to the QB.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Florgon79 said:

I was just watching Hudson highlights and it sounds like they used him as The Viper in their d.  A lot of his highlights seem to be as a fifth edge rusher. I wonder if we will use him the same way or totally waste his talents trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. We could use help getting to the QB.

Once Collins moves on, Curl takes over at SS and Hudson becomes the Buffalo Nickel. 

It's a good spot for him, mostly starting next year. Phased in this year, evidently. 

Edited by Silvernon
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Florgon79 said:

To add on what @Silvernon
said.  Back in training camp, the coaches referenced trying Hudson as Big/Buffalo Nickel in certain looks.  Hasn't happened because Curl is just plain good.

Assuming Juice comes back, really curious what they do.  Curl was full-time Nickel last week, but if Fuller is doing some Nickel, do they move Curl more to safety and have Hudson take some Buffalo Nickel snaps?

15 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

To add on what @Silvernon
said.  Back in training camp, the coaches referenced trying Hudson as Big/Buffalo Nickel in certain looks.  Hasn't happened because Curl is just plain good.

Assuming Juice comes back, really curious what they do.  Curl was full-time Nickel last week, but if Fuller is doing some Nickel, do they move Curl more to safety and have Hudson take some Buffalo Nickel snaps?

I thought I'd seen Curl on TE's quite a bit.  If that's the case, I'd rather see Davis on the TE.  He's athletic enough and big enough to stay with them.  Leave Holcomb to key back and spy QB.  Then Curl could focus on the 3rd receiver.  I have seen Curl blitz a few times but he's not getting home.  Some players just don't have that killer instinct.  It's not that they don't want the sack.  They're usually worried about a screen or the QB escaping so they don't commit.  A good blitzer has to commit.  I see Hudson as the type to commit to the blitz.  That would be a good role for him.  

Really wanna see what Forrest can do as well.  Time for underachieving vets to make way for more talented players with younger legs and smaller bank accounts.  

• Like 3

20 hours ago, GOATFrerotte said:

The caliber of the team, especially the QB, matters.  Last year, Washington had one of the easiest schedule in the NFL and played many of the worst QBs.  Not so this year.  They have one of the toughest schedules and is facing many of the best and brightest QBs to include three all-time greats.

• Like 1

The NYG beating the Saints last week means we MUST beat them this week. If Jameis Winston picks us apart with ease then you may as well stick a fork in us. I expect 5 sacks on Sunday with 2 turnovers minimum. They have inexperienced WR's and a turnover machine at QB. This game needs to be stress free for us fans...we are either gonna get busy living or get busy dying starting with this week.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

The NYG beating the Saints last week means we MUST beat them this week. If Jameis Winston picks us apart with ease then you may as well stick a fork in us. I expect 5 sacks on Sunday with 2 turnovers minimum. They have inexperienced WR's and a turnover machine at QB. This game needs to be stress free for us fans...we are either gonna get busy living or get busy dying starting with this week.

So should we see if we can get a group deal for coffins?

• Haha 4

Here's hoping the new LBs Mayo and Hudson are better in coverage and help on the pass rush.  The secondary however, is still terrible.  Jackson is looking like a sure fire bust of a FA signing.  McCain is also on the same level.  Collins is known garbage.  This is where Rivera and JDR need to do some serious tinkering, but I'm not sure they will.

19 hours ago, SAli457180 said:

Here's hoping the new LBs Mayo and Hudson are better in coverage and help on the pass rush.  The secondary however, is still terrible.  Jackson is looking like a sure fire bust of a FA signing.  McCain is also on the same level.  Collins is known garbage.  This is where Rivera and JDR need to do some serious tinkering, but I'm not sure they will.

I like Mayo.  But after watching him in preseason he's no better than Bostic.  Smart and gives great effort.  Just doesn't move well in space.  His main value is on Teams.  Hudson is the kid I wanna see get a shot to play.  I'd love to see him as a blitzer.  

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

16 hours ago, ThomasRoane said:

I like Mayo.  But after watching him in preseason he's no better than Bostic.  Smart and gives great effort.  Just doesn't move well in space.  His main value is on Teams.  Hudson is the kid I wanna see get a shot to play.  I'd love to see him as a blitzer.  

At least Mayo plays downhill

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

https://www.espn.com/blog/washington/post/_/id/41917/ron-rivera-on-washingtons-struggling-defense-we-are-so-close

"Offenses aren't doing too much to confuse us, we've just got to go do it and play fast and be destructive," Collins said.

Saints quarterback Jameis Winston, holds the ball longer than every quarterback in the league except Baltimore's Lamar Jackson. Winston averages 3.12 seconds before he throws the ball, according to ESPN Stats & Information. But he's only been sacked seven times.

That could provide opportunities for the pass rush, but third-and-long has been a big problem for Washington. It ranks 31st, allowing a 44.8% conversion rate on third-and-7 or longer. Rivera wants better coordinated pass rushes and they had a handful against Atlanta, including one sack by end Montez Sweat after he took out two blockers on a stunt. But if the coverage breaks down it doesn't matter. And when Washington's coverage holds up, the rush hasn't been producing.

Washington's secondary includes two holdovers from 2020 -- though one of them, Collins, missed most of last season with an Achilles tear.

That has led to inconsistent coverage or breakdowns from players trying to cover up for someone else, then leaving a big gap that opposing quarterbacks find. Corner William Jackson III shined in man coverage with Cincinnati, and Washington has played more man this season, ranking 13th in the number of times it has been man in coverage compared to 30th last season.

But Jackson is still adapting to Washington's zone coverage. At times, his drops might be a couple yards deeper than the corner on the other side.

"He's still getting comfortable," Rivera said.

Said Jackson: "It's a lot of things I'm not familiar with that I haven't done. The coaches are doing a great job of trying to get me caught up to speed with how they like things. ... Every game I'm feeling more confident, so we'll get it together."

Another time it might be safety Bobby McCain racing up to cover a short route rather than staying deep. That resulted in a 42-yard touchdown pass to his vacated area against Atlanta. They want him to be more patient.

• Thanks 1

I'm not worried about the secondary getting right. 

Jackson does look he's improving with experience in this D. Even Fuller was competitive on a number of plays against their best last week. 

Until Chase gets his head in the game, I'm not optimistic. 

10 hours ago, Captain James said:

Close to what? Lol. Some historically bad defensive record?

Smh

I totally get that the defense has stunk this year so no arguments from me there. I will point out that the difference between some of the terrible plays we’ve given up and an otherwise good defensive play isn’t as much as you think. So I don’t doubt when they roll the tape back that there are many plays where we’re “close.” Here’s hoping we get home today.

Allen and Payne are absolutely monsters this year. Sweat is picking up steam. I think Bostic being hurt is going to be a huge blessing. I hope he's still around the team, cause he's already just a coach. 

If Chase can find his groove and the secondary can figure it out, we'll become a very dangerous team.

We need this win today.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Washington's secondary includes two holdovers from 2020 -- though one of them, Collins, missed most of last season with an Achilles tear.

Last years biggest def weakness was Bostic. 

This years biggest def weakness has been the holdover that didn't play last year...

19 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

But Jackson is still adapting to Washington's zone coverage. At times, his drops might be a couple yards deeper than the corner on the other side.

"He's still getting comfortable," Rivera said.

Said Jackson: "It's a lot of things I'm not familiar with that I haven't done. The coaches are doing a great job of trying to get me caught up to speed with how they like things. ... Every game I'm feeling more confident, so we'll get it together."

This still frosts me. The went hard for Jackson paying up and were ecstatic when they signed him. They knew he was not a zone guy, another square peg round hole situation through 4 games. Hope he can make the transition but ya never know. Thought for sure they had a plan to go more man

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1