Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things defense

ThomasRoane

Watching the Raiders defense tonight and man, you can just see the difference in energy level they are bringing.  This was the worst defense in the league last year.  They switch coordinators, made a couple additions and boom, its a real defense. 

Gus Bradley has this group overacheiving their talent level by a lot and I cant help but think Del Rio is failing us.  Yes it on the players too, certainly, but if guys are still not understanding their assignments, its on him too. 

7 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

Watching the Raiders defense tonight and man, you can just see the difference in energy level they are bringing.  This was the worst defense in the league last year.  They switch coordinators, made a couple additions and boom, its a real defense. 

Gus Bradley has this group overacheiving their talent level by a lot and I cant help but think Del Rio is failing us.  Yes it on the players too, certainly, but if guys are still not understanding their assignments, its on him too. 

This is the weirdest home game, huh?  Same when the Cowboys played the Chargers in SoFi… I couldn’t tell if they were in Dallas or not!

24 minutes ago, petey hodge said:

Now the Raiders D looked very WFT on that last drive!!

Lol to be clear, I'm not calling them a *good* defense.  My point was more like, "look at this team that was league worst last year and elevated to competant based pretty much soley on coaching".  They're an energetic, try hard defense with talent limitations...with the talent we have, our defense should be at least a tier above them.  Instead we are at the bottom of every measurement.

I didnt explain my thought about the Raiders well enough in the first post.  

9 hours ago, HtownRocks111 said:

Curious how our LB play will improve with Bostic out and Jamin logging more snaps.

I really think we’ll improve this week by a significant margin. Granted, that might be going from Dumpster Fire to just a regular dumpster, but Bostic is so terrible that Davis/Hudson getting more snaps can only be a good thing. 

6 hours ago, 86 Snyder said:

Lol to be clear, I'm not calling them a *good* defense.  My point was more like, "look at this team that was league worst last year and elevated to competant based pretty much soley on coaching".  They're an energetic, try hard defense with talent limitations...with the talent we have, our defense should be at least a tier above them.  Instead we are at the bottom of every measurement.

I didnt explain my thought about the Raiders well enough in the first post.  

werent the Cowboys the worst last year? Funny enough, same situation there- they brought in Dan quinn and a couple of pieces and now they’re solid.

hell look at us last year- we brought in JDR and judging by what we’re seeing now, we overachieved.

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

McCain has been such a disappointment. We wanted to play man and single high and we should have gone after Hooker. 

What about Erik Harris?  He looked pretty good against us.  Falcons got him for just 1.35 million.

Just looked up Hooker's contract.  He's making vet min.  I guess no team wanted him.  He's playing roughly 1/4 of the snaps, so he's being used a little bit.

1 minute ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

What about Erik Harris?  He looked pretty good against us.  Falcons got him for just 1.35 million.

Just looked up Hooker's contract.  He's making vet min.  I guess no team wanted him.  He's playing roughly 1/4 of the snaps, so he's being used a little bit.

Wheres Tre Boston these days?

Why doesn't Hudson get any PT?  He is so quick.  He can't be worse than Bostic or Collins, right?

I would just run a 6 man front with Hudson and Jamin as the backers and Curl at FS.  WJIII at CB and whatever other body at CB.

Curl

Hudson

Jamin

Fuller?                     Sweat   Allen  Settle  Payne  Ion  Chase                        WJIII

I know that's insane, but that's our best defense imo lol.  Could last maybe a series before everyone is gassed.

Edited by Tedskins 21

On 10/4/2021 at 12:25 PM, Wildbunny said:

Ok so you're no expert but can see that the scheme is pure vanilil and that it's the problem.

From everything I have read about it, Del Rio's scheme is nowhere near vanilla, and is often seen as one of the most complicated.

Now if it's so vanilla you'll have to wonder are players so often out of positions or playing out of scheme. Playing hero or give half-assed efforts?

That doesn't seem to go along really well with your theory.

We can bash it on Del Rio as much as we want, but considering how our secondary is playing, switching the DC won't help much.

Or they do this on purpose to get the DC fired. But if that's true, you need to cut them all ASAP, because culture and everything that goes with it.

Yes, that’s exactly what I said. I’m no NFL expert, but I can plainly see that the defensive scheme is not as complex as other team’s are, around the league.

Also, you cherry-picked from my post.  I specifically said that I couldn’t understand why so many fans just immediately put ALL of the fault on the players. I actually said that they DO deserve some of the blame. There’s plenty of blame to go around. JDR is their boss. Ron is his boss. No matter the reason, it’s their responsibility to fix things when they’re broken.

JDR’s history speaks for itself. His defenses tend to take a huge step back from year 1 to year 2, which is happening as we speak. It’s a big reason why he had been out of football for years before WFT hired him.

Four QBs have now picked apart this supposed “vaunted” defense, this season. The mind-blowing pace of 3rd down conversions being given up is against a ridiculously soft zone, an overwhelmingly majority of the time. Greg Williams was a master against this type of situation. Sure, bringing heat runs the risk of being beat deep, but Good Lord, doesn’t that sound some better than the historical ineptitude of getting off the field, that we’re currently watching? The broken record of continuing to just rely on the front four is killing the team right now.

Tom Brady laid the blueprint on how to neutralize this front four, which is exactly what Herbert, Jones, Allen, and Ryan have done so far, with getting the ball out super quick. Add to this, that we have one of the worst LB units in the league, spells doom for our defense to be able to do anything to stop the intermediate passing game. Also, Fuller has regressed while continuing to be played away from his strengths, and like Josh Norman, WJIII has spent his career as m2m CB who is now being asked to play WAY more zone, and he’s struggling. Collins is what he’s been the entire time, decent in the run game, lost in coverage. Outside of the long CP touchdown on Sunday, I haven’t been terribly disappointed with McCain. I do feel that Curl needs more snaps, and I wish Reaves was playing as well.

One final thing. After reading your post initially, I tried to do some research on JDR’s defense, just to see if I were missing something. Can you point me in the direction of what you’ve read that shows his defenses are the opposite of what I’m seeing?

• Like 1