Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things defense

ThomasRoane

2 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Last years biggest def weakness was Bostic. 

This years biggest def weakness has been the holdover that didn't play last year...

This still frosts me. The went hard for Jackson paying up and were ecstatic when they signed him. They knew he was not a zone guy, another square peg round hole situation through 4 games. Hope he can make the transition but ya never know. Thought for sure they had a plan to go more man

Can't play man unless you've got the right FS and we dont.

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

PFF scores for those curious.  PFF isn't gospel of course.  I'd agree with them that Allen has been the best player, consistent as heck.  Some of our other players have had some big games but Allen did it IMO in all 4 games.  They had Bostic with a 30 score which is abysmal. 

Screen Shot 2021-10-10 at 7.52.47 AM.png

Allen playing like this after he got paid, truly shows the kind of leader that he is. 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Last years biggest def weakness was Bostic. 

This years biggest def weakness has been the holdover that didn't play last year...

This still frosts me. The went hard for Jackson paying up and were ecstatic when they signed him. They knew he was not a zone guy, another square peg round hole situation through 4 games. Hope he can make the transition but ya never know. Thought for sure they had a plan to go more man

They are playing much more man than last year.   As Keim pointed out too.  Sounds like almost 3 times as much as last year.  I'd give Jackson more love if he looked good in man thus far -- I got to rewatch that game but in real time I could have sworn I saw Jackson play Ridley man some and he was smoked several times.  In camp, I saw him chasing around Terry playing man at times and it was no contest, you'd think Jackson was just some scrub who had no chance in the world to stop Terry, granted its not easy to cover Terry. 

I think Jackson has been really up and down this season.  Playing more zone I am sure has something to do with it.  But its not like he isn't playing man in the mix.   I think there was only two teams that played more man than zone last year.  If you play man, the corner better be on their game otherwise its a big play waiting to happen.  As a Chargers receiver gleefully told Chase, if they play him man, it will cost them, and it did. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Like going hard after Jackson, that goes back to...just what was last off season game plan

4 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Allen playing like this after he got paid, truly shows the kind of leader that he is. 

Great comment!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

It's a good point.  Old school football with the previous rules teams played man a lot more.  Now most teams play more zone.  Logan Paulsen talked about it recently which is there are so many good receivers in the league now and if you play man, the odds are good they will smoke your corner so you got to be careful with it.   A good FS provides some cushion if said corner gets smoked.  Otherwise if you are playing man and the receiver gets by you, its a TD. 

We've moved from ranking 30th playing man to now 13th.  That's a big climb.  But heck yeah a good FS would make playing man feel safer -- ditto our D line getting home more. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Yep.  Also to give PFF some props since they get ripped a lot and personally I rip them sometimes too. They graded Jonathan Allen's pass rush highly last year.  They said often the sack stats come with pressures/beating the guy in front of you and on occasion they don't.   They felt he was unlucky on that front last year, where the pressures/beating the O lineman didn't equal sacks the way those stats typically correlate and said they expect that to even out this year.  So far they are right about that. 

• Like 2

On 10/9/2021 at 9:27 AM, method man said:

At least Mayo plays downhill

He does.  But teams are not running the ball on the defense.  Aside from a couple of breakaways they have been very stout vs the run.  The achilleas heel is 3rd down when they have to try to cover.  I don't see Mayo as an upgrade to Holcomb or Davis.  And if I'm a savvy QB as I step to the line and see Mayo I'm going to probably change to the pass play and target him or Collins.  

The defensive tackles have been excellent. The defensive ends have not. But, weirdly, on our scale of issues the DEs are well below corners, safeties and linebackers. 

Id like to see Khaleke playing more “Viper” in the way he played it at Michigan.

I’d like to see Chase/Montez stay patient.

I’d like to see our team, over the course of this season and the offseason commit to more of a coverage focus (man, zone, etc.) and playing the guys who make that scheme successful.

I’m curious what Forrest brings to the table. 

I’d like to see what Mayo offers the defense over Holcomb at times. 

I’d like to see Fuller at free with Curl getting more big nickel time. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

We should have just stuck with playing zone. Its much easier as its more scheme dependent. I mean Darby went from being crap in Philly to earning a big contract with Denver after one year playing zone for us. Man requires really talented CBs and we just don't have that. I mean WJ3 was supposed to be real good in man but he's been a walking DPI.

On 10/7/2021 at 12:21 PM, NewCliche21 said:

So should we see if we can get a group deal for coffins?

It's "get busy dying" for sure now. Worst secondary I've ever seen....Landon Collins will go down as one of the worst FA signings in WFT history without question. NOW it's time to start talking draft picks and that's not a shot at TH, he just can't keep being expected to do it all himself. 

• Like 2

@Skinsinparadise right now 3 of our top 5 contracts are DBs. That's what we do when we spend money. You want to let one our actual good players walk on the DL, but we haven't shown we will spend that money better. Watching Payne, who's a whole baby out there right now, dominating on his 2nd contract with another team, while we spend that money on someone like Collins in FA, just so we can say we didn't spend an arbitrary amount on the DL makes no sense to me. 

3 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Time for us to shake up the locker room and show Mr Collins the door…tomorrow.

This is the problem with this team. The players don’t buy into the coaches because despite the cavalcade of errors from people they keep finding themselves on the field. Meanwhile, guys who are working their asses off to get on the field are on the bench watching a secondary full of JAGs and worse get torched week after week.

The defense has zero accountability. 

McCain’s comments last week are proof of that. They won a game and he acted like it was the Super Bowl. 

Until the players buy back in to what the coaching staff is trying to accomplish expect things to get worse.

Collins has to go directly to the bench. Three weeks ago.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, KDawg said:

This is the problem with this team. The players don’t buy into the coaches because despite the cavalcade of errors from people they keep finding themselves on the field. Meanwhile, guys who are working their asses off to get on the field are on the bench watching a secondary full of JAGs and worse get torched week after week.

The defense has zero accountability. 

McCain’s comments last week are proof of that. They won a game and he acted like it was the Super Bowl. 

Until the players buy back in to what the coaching staff is trying to accomplish expect things to get worse.

Collins has to go directly to the bench. Three weeks ago.

And in the post-game, Ron just sounds like "shoulder shrugs", doesn't seem pissed at all, so why would they feel accountable?

This secondary is terrible. Wilson had 4 TDs and a 18.6 YPP average. What?!

Another 30 burger by the way, only this time we made crucial mistakes at the worst posible time.

Lets be honest here. We are basically two plays away from an 0-5 season. Until the secondary steps up this looks like a long and frustrating season.

Edited by El Mexican
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, IrepDC said:

@Skinsinparadise right now 3 of our top 5 contracts are DBs. That's what we do when we spend money. You want to let one our actual good players walk on the DL, but we haven't shown we will spend that money better. Watching Payne, who's a whole baby out there right now, dominating on his 2nd contract with another team, while we spend that money on someone like Collins in FA, just so we can say we didn't spend an arbitrary amount on the DL makes no sense to me. 

You are thinking about the roster as it exists today.  I am thinking roster allocation in general.  You don't want 40-50% for one spot IMO.  The 49ers got a high pick back for Buckner.  They knew they couldn't pay 4 guys big money on the D line versus 3.  The Ravens sometimes let some of their players go at certain spots who are really good.  These teams do it not because they are dumb.  But its about having a balanced roster.   

The idea of getting a high draft pick for a player is somewhat of a foreign concept here because its not how this team rolls but its something that happens elsewhere.  We can actually draft or go get another D lineman who is good.  It's not just about these 4 guys or bust, its over after them.  49ers took Kinlaw with one of their first round picks.    Maybe the new player works, or maybe he doesn't.  But you can draft another Tim Settle type or whomever.   You can go young at a spot where you have too much payroll and have to trim.  The Ravens do it all the time. The Steelers don't want to pay all their young stud receivers when they hit FA so they let one go.  Yeah its painful to do but it helps keep a balanced roster. 

I wouldn't want 3 corners making 15 millon plus.  I wouldn't want 3 receivers making 15 million plus.  And I wouldn't want 4 D lineman making 20-25 million a year.  I wouldn't want 4 O lineman making 15 million plus.   If you do that something has to give at another spot. 

We have these same 4 D lineman right now.  Now we mostly have them cheap and this defense is still bad.  If they consume 45% or so of the budget, I just don't see how that's the ticket.  Yeah some of these corners/safeties would be off the books.  but you got other expenses. Are we going to get a QB?  do we have to play Leno?  Terry?  

• Thanks 1

It's a good thing Young and Sweat challenged each other for the combined single-season sack record.

It was a great motivator !

Sweat hopes he and Young can break NFL's combined sack record

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/football-team/montez-sweat-hopes-he-and-chase-young-can-break-nfls-combined-sack-record

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

After watching our defense playing like a high school team again, we really need to shake things up! We’re giving up 30+ points a game. We are lucky to be 2-3 with that kind of defense. 

I said preseason that Landon should be cut bc he is a liability in the secondary and he continues to be. Our defense played well down the stretch after LC was hurt. We didn’t see all the blown coverages like we have this year. Move him to linebacker right away and keep him there. Don’t give him TE responsibilities but only run support and blitz packages. 

Stunt and stunt more. If we’re not going to blitz, then Chase and company needs to come from different angles. It’s obvious Chase can’t get to the qb consistently right now. Hell Casey Toohill provided more pressure today then him or Montez. 

Who is receiving the plays on defense? Davis, Holcomb? Whoever it is needs to change. Move it to Kam and let him put the players in the right position especially the secondary. Maybe that will help with the blown assignments.

Del Rio has been a good coach but he looks old and tired right now. Maybe we need to add infuse some younger mindset into the defensive coaches. 

12 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

This is the kind of stuff that created the hype of this great defense.  Not being humble but believing that their *** didn't stink and look where they are now.