Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things defense

ThomasRoane

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Payne isn't a market setter, but should definitely get a good contract. 

Sweat is the player I doubt we resign. He's going to demand top DE money and he hasn't really been dominant and isn't a leader. 

I tend to agree with this.  Payne will no doubt command a chunk of cap (I’d guess Allen’s contract is his absolute ceiling?), but probably not the kind of money Sweat would.  We’ve got more time to replace Sweat too if we pick up his option.  If we either land a good DE in the draft, or our in-house guys look promising enough, I could see trading Sweat as well.

As others have mentioned, I’d like to move toward the PIT/BAL model of having a solid pipeline of talent, and letting some talent walk (or trading them).  We have to get out of this “maybe this could be our year” mentality though, especially until we find a franchise qb.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I tend to agree with this.  Payne will no doubt command a chunk of cap (I’d guess Allen’s contract is his absolute ceiling?), but probably not the kind of money Sweat would.  We’ve got more time to replace Sweat too if we pick up his option.  If we either land a good DE in the draft, or our in-house guys look promising enough, I could see trading Sweat as well.

As others have mentioned, I’d like to move toward the PIT/BAL model of having a solid pipeline of talent, and letting some talent walk (or trading them).  We have to get out of this “maybe this could be our year” mentality though, especially until we find a franchise qb.  

The PIT/BAL model includes continuity with system and coaches.  It's easier for them to identify talent because they haven't changed much over the years.  The Ravens have had different DCs but they've always promoted from within.  Same with the Steelers.  So are we married to JDR and his assistants?  

4 minutes ago, drowland said:

The PIT/BAL model includes continuity with system and coaches.  It's easier for them to identify talent because they haven't changed much over the years.  The Ravens have had different DCs but they've always promoted from within.  Same with the Steelers.  So are we married to JDR and his assistants?  

Well, I’m only looking at it from a talent perspective both because I understand that aspect better and because of what thread we’re in, but you make a good point.  

I’m personally not wedded to Del Rio by any stretch, but regardless, I think we need to add talent to the back 7, and do a better job of marrying the talent to the scheme.  Somewhat ironically (seeing as 2 of our safeties should be walking this off-season), continuity in the secondary should help as well.  

22 minutes ago, drowland said:

Great point, continuity is a huge key from RR to his coordinators and down the line. 

I have a hard time being married to JDR or Turner right now. Turner probably deserves more time as he lost his starting QB and his secret weapon in Samuel really before the season began.

8 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I think we need to add talent to the back 7, and do a better job of marrying the talent to the scheme.  Somewhat ironically (seeing as 2 of our safeties should be walking this off-season), continuity in the secondary should help as well.  

Yes, we need back 7 players that properly  fit the scheme and can cover something other that CAP space.

Really need to focus on a solid FS and MLB with instincts, coverage ability and leadership qualities

44 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Jon Allen got paid and is earning his money.  Tied for the team lead in sacks (3), leads the team in TFL (5), and has twice as many QB hits (14) as the next closest person (7).

He's been great. 90 rating on PFF.

And despite that, our defense is still absolute dog doo. Which tells you how little DTs really matter relative to other positions.

I'm not saying Allen isn't worth the money. He is. But we also need premium play at other more valuable positions.

28 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

He's been great. 90 rating on PFF.

And despite that, our defense is still absolute dog doo. Which tells you how little DTs really matter relative to other positions.

I'm not saying Allen isn't worth the money. He is. But we also need premium play at other more valuable positions.

I don't know if I agree with that.  If you just had average play in the back 7 (say a LB corps that ranked 20th out of 32 teams and a secondary that ranked 17th out of 32 teams) our defense would be good with this D-Line.  However, both our LB and secondary play is probably bottom 5 for the league so far this year.   That is disappointing for the linebackers.   Its shocking for the secondary and I had them as a secondary in the top half of the league coming into the year.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, abdcskins said:

Wack pride knowing you are bad at your job.  Hard to admit you suck - at least for some people.  I guess it is a good sign cuz it shows he has a little bit of confidence left.  

Got so much money he can live in his own dream world and put up the blinders. 

One of the top 5 worst signings of this century for Washington. 

Edited by Silvernon

32 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

People say this like it's not an incredible achievement.  :ols:

To be fair he squeaks in. 

Deion

Haynesworth

Archuleta

Landon

Norman

Trotter

Jeff George

Randle El

Barrow

Brandon Lloyd Bruce Smith

Who am I missing?

Edited by Silvernon

1 hour ago, Silvernon said:

To be fair he squeaks in. 

Deion

Haynesworth

Archuleta

Landon

Norman

Trotter

Jeff George

Randle El

Barrow

Brandon Lloyd Bruce Smith

Who am I missing?

Norman was at least good for a couple of years here. Randle El didn't suck either, he was at least a productive player(overpaid for sure but he wasn't a net negative like Collins).

Can we hire an offensive guy to coach our team or defense? Have 2 defensive guys running the show is not working out.  At least the offensive guy would provide some much needed perspective on what the **** is wrong with our tanking for an ace QB to draft. In a class so weak there is no ace QB so we will take another DL.

Edited by RandyHolt

12 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Can we hire an offensive guy to coach our team or defense? Have 2 defensive guys running the show is not working out.  At least the offensive guy would provide some much needed perspective on what the **** is wrong with our tanking for an ace QB to draft. In a class so weak there is no ace QB so we will take another DL.

I think we're good sticking with zampese and Turner for a while. Good stability to grow with.