Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things defense

ThomasRoane

1 hour ago, PartyPosse said:

Yeah. He's suuuuuper thriving in Minnesota and I'm sure the Vikes fans are insanely thrilled with him. 

KC is 1-2 this year....and, he has choked the past few years when his team needed a win to make the playoffs. I doubt he would've made any bit of difference for us today. 

The goal of any defense is to disrupt the offense. Take away what they do best and make them best you some other way. Give them different looks; surprise them; make them react rather than dictate. When I see NONE of that going on, I know it’s coaching. It’s true that we lack starting caliber talent at every linebacker position and arguably corner, but this scheme is exploiting our weaknesses.  And it’s really disturbing that we looked this ineffective and inept coming out of a mini-bye. It means that the players either don’t like the scheme, don’t understand the scheme or lack the talent to execute it. I’ll go with the first option—the players hate this kind of defense. Because we play a soft zone, a QB doesn’t need to hold the ball and so the pass rush is totally ineffective. Because we don’t blitz and the middle of the zone is always open, we give up 9-12 yards consistently. We are constantly in second and short as a defense and we just rinse and repeat. Teams don’t even need to run to keep us honest bc we make it so easy for them. It is 100% inept coaching, and I’m just so sick of seeing it. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

Defensive line is extremely overrated. Said it consistently back to last year. Chase young is just a guy.  Career ceiling of Clowney.

linebackers are porous and secondary is atrocious. As a coach these days myself there is of course responsibility on jdl.  But players simply aren’t making plays and worst of the bunch for me is the defensive line, simply because of expectation. They aren’t close to the talent level people (including themselves) think they are.

Edited by SkinssRvA

6 minutes ago, skins4eva said:

The goal of any defense is to disrupt the offense. Take away what they do best and make them best you some other way. Give them different looks; surprise them; make them react rather than dictate. When I see NONE of that going on, I know it’s coaching. It’s true that we lack starting caliber talent at every linebacker position and arguably corner, but this scheme is exploiting our weaknesses.  And it’s really disturbing that we looked this ineffective and inept coming out of a mini-bye. It means that the players either don’t like the scheme, don’t understand the scheme or lack the talent to execute it. I’ll go with the first option—the players hate this kind of defense. Because we play a soft zone, a QB doesn’t need to hold the ball and so the pass rush is totally ineffective. Because we don’t blitz and the middle of the zone is always open, we give up 9-12 yards consistently. We are constantly in second and short as a defense and we just rinse and repeat. Teams don’t even need to run to keep us honest bc we make it so easy for them. It is 100% inept coaching, and I’m just so sick of seeing it. 

I can agree with you on not liking the scheme. Guys in the secondary appear to not understand it either. I think they're all talented enough to run it except the LBs.

But yeah we need to try to be more disruptive on D. We're basically conceding ~7 yards everytime when we play soft zone and in today's NFL with how wide open everything is that's just easy for any QB.

The way I see it, we're giving up big plays anyway. So might as well play tight aggressive man coverage and maybe we can jam some things and make a play ourselves.

• Like 1

I don't know how many times I saw the CB's have good coverage one on one and then they'd release the WR "thinking" a safety was there..and they aren't. The safety was 5-8 yards off the play when the CB broke off the WR. Do they just release without looking to see where the "help" is. Are the safties playing too deep? WTF???? You watch the Bills D and they were all pressing and hitting our players disrupting the pattern. What good is that zone if it's shown you can't get off the field with it...

I thought this season was going to be competitive and somewhat enjoyable. So far the only thing GOOD that I've seen is Mara kicking trash cans and the G's going 0-3.

I could accept an aggressive scheme and getting beat but playing this way is embarrassing to watch.

• Like 1

Too much talent for our defense not to be schematically effective.  I’m not sure what JDR is doin…he obviously has the pedigree, but his unit is way underproducing.  Almost thinking too much out there instead of being dogs and chasing that ball.  May be time for JDR to seek employment elsewhere 

12 drives the bills got points on 8 of those. The defense forced 2 punts and 1 turnover on downs.  The last drive was end of game and they could have hung up some more points if they wanted to. With Mitch in at QB.  There is something very wrong with this defense and it's not all the lines fault.  They get some blame sure.

If you do not have coverage behind your line you get this result.  Don't know what the plan is to fix it cause if there is no plan it will be a loooooooong season and again we will be laughed at all off-season long.  Anyway.....

• Like 1

Watching the game now...

First series:

Payne flashes almost every play. Wow.

Sweat was noticeable. 

Chase needs to win his 1-on-1s.

Davis replacing Bostic would limit a couple of plays. 

Landon got picked on a couple of times. For the TD in cover-2, it wasn't necessarily a play that Curl absolutely makes - as his speed is limited - but I think the positioning would be better and he'd probably get there. Likely doesn't open his hips inside allowing Sanders to run to open space. 

Second series:

Aha! More of Curl and Davis, and less of Bostic and Collins. 

Payne disruptive again. 

Jackson/Curl get lucky.

St Juste gets away with clear DPI. Also a good hit on Sanders. 

Davis has the key 4th down tackle, and with authority. 

Third Series:

Payne looks like the best player on D. 

Bostic a victim again.

Chase loses contain for the run at the end of the quarter. 

Would have liked to see Curl support Holcomb on the TD, but that's a tough play.

Fourth series:

Holcomb probably should have played that better. Looks like he was turning his hips toward the QB and allowed that push-off to be as effective as it was. 

At the end of it...

Payne the best player.

Young and Sweat were invisible.

Bostic was a key target. 

Collins with a couple costly plays.

Curl was late on a few plays. 

Transition of Davis for Bostic will take time. Davis is still raw. 

Growing pains all around. 

Edited by Silvernon
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Can someone explain to me what offenses are doing to exploit our defense? Are there particular plays that seem to always work? Are certain players just habitually being isolated and abused? How has our d-line, particularly Chase, looked so poor? Is there a particular technique offensive linemen are employing that completely negates their effort? I see page after page of individual plays where someone ****ed up, but it’s clear offenses of varying quality have a specific gameplan for us that they use to great effect. It’s as though Tampa Bay found the cheat code and everyone else has been using it.

I could have sworn that Bostic was our green dot LBer and that's why he was made the captain, but yesterday they said it was Holcomb. So everyone being out of position is on him. Not sure why he is having such a hard time with it this year.

Give Davis the green dot already and let Holcomb just play. I know that it's a lot, but it's his soon anyway. Parsons is wearing it for the Cowboys.

Make Davis be the man and simplify the hell out of the defense, because we're only outsmarting ourselves out there.

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/which_defenders_will_wear_the_green_dot_for_the_2021_nfl_season/s1__35822537#slide_32

http://res.cloudinary.com/ybmedia/image/upload/c_crop,h_1334,w_2000,x_0,y_0/c_scale,f_auto,q_auto,w_700/v1/m/b/2/b26e4151392adf6c6956b0e9610e8a7fe9cb79fa/washington-football-team-cole-holcomb.jpg

Washington turned to Holcomb as a starter during his rookie season and kept him in that role on a higher-profile 2020 defense. The recently renamed team rocketed from 27th to fourth on defense from 2019 to 2020, and Holcomb will be asked to play a lot again this season -- for a team with increased expectations. The ex-North Carolina Tar Heel may end up relinquishing green-dot responsibilities at some point in the near future, with Washington drafting inside linebacker Jamin Davis in the first round. But for now, the signal-calling responsibility is on the elder off-ball 'backer.

48 minutes ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

So is there something in Collins contract where we couldn't move him into the line as a LB (Hybrid) and put Curl at safety. Collins would be an upgrade in that position I think..

Would that make more use of Collins talents?

No, but I think he balked at the idea at first.  It may be his ego getting in the way.  Not sure if he'd be much of an upgrade over Bostic.  Regardless, Holcomb and Davis need to be every down LBs.  

Did you guys see Chase dropping in coverage again yesterday?  It's probably the dumbest move in the NFL.  Never works.  Buffalo still got their completion in his zone.  SMH

The NFL is a copy cat league.  The Chargers gave other teams the blueprint.  Get the ball out quickly.  They recognize who the weak links are.  Run to keep us honest but mostly just keep matriculating the ball down the field.  Gotta get Collins and Bostic off the field.  (Put Davis on the TE in pass coverage.)  At this point, I think you gotta get Fuller off too.  Somebody had a good idea about trying him at FS.  D Hall did it.  Might not be a bad idea.  But he's not good in man coverage.  

Check out this quote from NBC Sports: 

However, credit to the Bills for neutralizing Washington's front four with an efficient attack built on getting the ball out quickly. It's hard to score 43 points and gain over 480 yards against any NFL defense, let alone one with the talent Washington has. 

Edited by ThomasRoane

56 minutes ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

So is there something in Collins contract where we couldn't move him into the line as a LB (Hybrid) and put Curl at safety. Collins would be an upgrade in that position I think..

Would that make more use of Collins talents?

It was a mixed bag with Collins as a 'spy'. I saw him make a nice place coming downhill and also another where I was thinking to myself: 'I know Holcomb is a fast LB, but he's way faster than Collins.'

I don't think Curl is going to be mistake free. He wasn't. And he does have limited speed, maybe more so than Collins. I trust he will improve and learn how to approach certain coverages and situations differently on future. 

7 hours ago, D’Pablo said:

Can someone explain to me what offenses are doing to exploit our defense? Are there particular plays that seem to always work? Are certain players just habitually being isolated and abused? How has our d-line, particularly Chase, looked so poor? Is there a particular technique offensive linemen are employing that completely negates their effort? I see page after page of individual plays where someone ****ed up, but it’s clear offenses of varying quality have a specific gameplan for us that they use to great effect. It’s as though Tampa Bay found the cheat code and everyone else has been using it.

Bostic and Collins have been the tremendous weak links. Fuller has been too at least in certain coverages. That's the issue with our D, its front loaded in one area but we have league worst in others and you're only as good as you're weakest link.

I don't think the DL has been bad per se, just not dominant and we need them to be considering the investment and the weaknesses in other areas.

• Like 1