Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things defense

ThomasRoane

Just now, SemperFi Skins said:

Parsons playing like everything we wish Chase Young would be….

He just threw a TE to the side like he was nothing.

And in other news, JOK has a 90+ grade on PFF and is the highest graded LB in the league after three games. Could have had him instead of Davis(although Davis has played better the last two games).

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

He just threw a TE to the side like he was nothing.

And in other news, JOK has a 90+ grade on PFF and is the highest graded LB in the league after three games. Could have had him instead of Davis(although Davis has played better the last two games).

Parsons has credited vets on the roster with teaching him the moves he's using. We don't have that here. Likewise JOK is in a much better situation to succeed as the Browns flooded their defense with talent where they had weaknesses last year. Neither would look the same here.

9 hours ago, IrepDC said:

Parsons has credited vets on the roster with teaching him the moves he's using. We don't have that here. Likewise JOK is in a much better situation to succeed as the Browns flooded their defense with talent where they had weaknesses last year. Neither would look the same here.

Yup. I wasn't a big JOK guy (though I was surprised he fell as far as he did because even though I wasn't his biggest fan I couldn't see how he fell that far with all of his talent/athleticism). But he is in a great place to perform. Here he'd be lost in space. His LB mentors would be Bostic and Holcomb. Safety/Slot corner mentors would be Kendall Fuller/Landon Collins.

We need a talent revamp in some spots on the D desperately. 

• Like 3

I tried to start watching the film and I immediately had to stop after 3 plays. I highly doubt Del Rio is telling Fuller and Bostic to cover each other on 3rd and 15, but here they are, standing together, in FRONT of the sticks, covering no one, while an open receiver sits beyond the first down behind them.

It's 3rd and 15! Why are they both watching a 3 yard route?! These are the easiest most basic reads of defensive football, but we have guys who can't be relied on to understand basic situations. I would be LIVID if I were their teammate. You would see me going off on them on the sideline after crap like this. "Get your head in the ******** game!!'

I see this over and over while watching the game live. I don't know if the Monstars stole our players football IQ or what, but a lot of them seem like they forgot how to play football. This is 3 plays into the game, but I already know from memory we have guys out there making clueless reads like this all game.

Screenshot_20210928-070643_YouTube.jpg

Edited by IrepDC
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

I tried to start watching the film and I immediately had to stop after 3 plays. I highly doubt Del Rio is telling Fuller and Bostic to cover each other on 3rd and 15, but here they are, standing together, in FRONT of the sticks, covering no one, while an open receiver sits beyond the first down behind them.

It's 3rd and 15! Why are they both watching a 3 yard route?! These are the easiest most basic reads of defensive football, but we have guys who can't be relied on to understand basic situations. I would be LIVID if I were their teammate. You would see me going off on them on the sideline after crap like this. "Get your head in the ******** game!!'

I see this over and over while watching the game live. I don't know if the Monstars stole our players football IQ or what, but a lot of them seem like they forgot how to play football. This is 3 plays into the game, but I already know from memory we have guys out there making clueless reads like this all game.

Screenshot_20210928-070643_YouTube.jpg

But did you see Bostic undercut Fuller there? It's text book coverage.

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

I feel bad for Jamin Davis. Here is a 3rd and 3. He IMMEDIATELY calls out the crossing route to Holcomb who has the short middle zone. There is no one behind Holcomb. The two outside receivers go vertical leaving the crossing route as Holcomb's ONLY threat, and Jamin calls it out to him right after the snap. You see Davis point to Sanders as he leaves his area and enters Holcomb's.

Holcomb not only ignores the call from Davis, he keeps getting depth(with no one threatening behind him), and gives Sanders even more room for the first down. What is Holcomb reading? On 3rd and long, we cover short. On 3rd and short, we cover long. They have to be trolling us.

This is not coaching. This is guys who probably should be working at Home Depot being counted on to make basic football reads. Playing the sticks on 3rd down is not a revolutionary concept but it's kicking our *****.

Screenshot_20210928-073852_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20210928-073909_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20210928-073921_YouTube.jpg

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Whatever happened to blitzing on 3rd and long??????

Obviously, we cannot sit and play coverage, plus our front four are getting nowhere near to any QB.  It’s time to send the blitz.  

I’d rather watch them go out swinging with aggressive play calling then sitting back and getting picked apart. 

2 hours ago, Bigmuss1 said:

Whatever happened to blitzing on 3rd and long??????

Obviously, we cannot sit and play coverage, plus our front four are getting nowhere near to any QB.  It’s time to send the blitz.  

I’d rather watch them go out swinging with aggressive play calling then sitting back and getting picked apart. 

They have done so occasionally.  More often than not the blitzer doesn't get home and the results are ugly.  The weak links on the back end can't even blitz effectively.  Del Rio must see this and must make the hard call.  Collins and Bostic need to come off the field.  Same goes for Fuller; unless you wanna move him to FS.  JDR has to do what's best for the team.  

Edited by ThomasRoane

13 hours ago, SemperFi Skins said:

It’s got to be something with our scheme, it just has to…. Ours just seems so damn slow compared to these two teams tonight 

I agree...we have too much talent to look so slow and out of place. Our coaches are telling the players to "win the one on one matchups" and it's not happening, that tells me we need to attack more players. Last season our staple was wearing down offenses with our defensive line....we've got to find a way to get back to that. 

Looking back at some of the plays it's almost as if the veteran LBs and DBs are deliberately playing out of position, and taking it in turns to screw up on third down so that no-one gets the full blame. Or perhaps I'm paranoid after too much caffeine ;)

16 hours ago, SemperFi Skins said:

It’s got to be something with our scheme

It has to be.

Personnel-wise, and coaching staff-wise, it's virtually identical to out Defense last year, that dominated in 2020 despite an anemic offense, all the way to a Division Crown.

What change, or who did we lose in the offseason, that could account for such a huge dropoff ?

Probably the biggest loss was Darby. But the difference between Darby and Jackson can't be that bad, to result in this. I'm thinking scheme/coaching.

And remember, it's just one game, really. And it's the same 2021 Defense that kept Justin Herbert from goin crazy on us.

I'm not gonna throw in the towel because of one game.

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

It has to be.

Personnel-wise, and coaching staff-wise, it's virtually identical to out Defense last year, that dominated in 2020 despite an anemic offense, all the way to a Division Crown.

What change, or who did we lose in the offseason, that could account for such a huge dropoff ?

Probably the biggest loss was Darby. But the difference between Darby and Jackson can't be that bad, to result in this. I'm thinking scheme/coaching.

And remember, it's just one game, really. And it's the same 2021 Defense that kept Justin Herbert from goin crazy on us.

I'm not gonna throw in the towel because of one game.

The difference is we played beat up teams with back up QBs when we’re ‘dominant’ last year.  Brady shredded us just like every QB we’ve faced this year.  If we faced Ben Dinucci every week, I bet our defense would be playing much better.

3 minutes ago, mojo said:

The difference is we played beat up teams with back up QBs when we’re ‘dominant’ last year.  Brady shredded us just like every QB we’ve faced this year.  If we faced Ben Dinucci every week, I bet our defense would be playing much better.

The backup QB argument is a tired one as it doesn't explain how we've struggled to create pressure. The only argument that holds water is experienced, pro QBs are quicker at reads and getting the ball out, which means it's not really the DL that's the reason why we're so bad on defense, it's everyone else. 

5 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

The backup QB argument is a tired one as it doesn't explain how we've struggled to create pressure. The only argument that holds water is experienced, pro QBs are quicker at reads and getting the ball out, which means it's not really the DL that's the reason why we're so bad on defense, it's everyone else. 

Tired or not, it’s accurate.

7 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Stating the obvious but has to be related some to the back 7 leaving wide open passing lanes. Haven’t seen any data posted yet on average release time post snap for opposing QBs this vs. Last year. Might be some value there. 

I wasn’t one who thought the defense was elite (I also believe being an elite defense should be measured differently in today’s NFL), but was happy to see consistency as far as windows being smaller for opposing QBs. A defense that seemed at times to all be connected on a string. Shocking that year two in the system has not proved to be a positive. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mojo said:

Tired or not, it’s accurate.

It's accurate, but not indicative of who's at fault and while I agree the bookends can certainly play better, I don't think any DEs in the league could be effective playing on a defense where there's ALWAYS at least 2 guys running free almost literally from the snap.

1 minute ago, wit33 said:

Stating the obvious but has to be related some to the back 7 leaving wide open passing lanes. Haven’t seen any data posted yet on average release time post snap for opposing QBs this vs. Last year. Might be some value there. 

I absolutely believe this is the case. I don't think it's a regression by the Front 4 so much as offenses have learned how easy it is to find an open receiver once the ball is snapped. It's no different than the best receiver in the world can be useless if the QB is always taking sacks.

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I think its like 80% scheme. The 20% I blame on personnel is largely Bostic and Collins with some Fuller.

I don't think it matters what the scheme is with players on this defense doing what they're doing.  Coaching issues it may be, but also maybe, some of these players are just not coachable?

You should add Holcomb to that list.  Holcomb has zero vision.  He's athletic, but that doesn't matter if his footwork isn't setting up his body to move in the right direction.  I think Holcomb could function, but only in the most basic of assignments where he doesn't have to adapt.  1 read, that's it.

• Like 1