Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things defense

ThomasRoane

36 minutes ago, Leonard Washington said:

QBs appear to key on Bostic and Collins and work from there.  JDR has to sit both of them down or just give them one assignment. 

You nailed it. QBs literally look for these two guys + Fuller and Holcomb pre-snap. Doesn't matter if its man or the weak zone we always play. The OC is calling plays to attack these guys and QB's feast. Like taking candy from a baby.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I remember initially WFT had an embarrassingly low amount of vaccinated players, but then they all eventually started getting it.  If their initial refusal caused lack of practice and working with their teammates, then it could definitely explain their slow start to the season, almost like September is going to be them just trying to get their legs back?  Smh..... 

It was just drama that created sides that were doubled down on by each side and it was dumb and my theory might be wrong, but it sure seems like the unvaxed guys are sucking and Ron said some harsh ****.

1 minute ago, carex said:

I'm not sure if I believe the buying into their own hype thing, because a lot of times we don't have guys in position to make plays which suggests a scheme thing to me

Personally I think they absolutely bought into their own hype and its like 8th most important  reason the defense is awful.

8 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

It was just drama that created sides that were doubled down on by each side and it was dumb and my theory might be wrong, but it sure seems like the unvaxed guys are sucking and Ron said some harsh ****.

That would be unfortunate.  I followed the offseason news a lot less than usual this time, and being in CA I am already getting a lot less of the detailed coverage as it is. 

Look across the league. The best QBs win.  This defense thing barely matters.  It looked neat while we beat bad teams and won a bad division.  Funs over when you have a first place schedule.   No hate for Heineke, but he's only here because of the Tampa playoff game.

Speaking of that game, that was the first time we saw this great d line get zero pressure and I figured ok it's Brady.  No.  Any decent QB or team is completely unfazed by chase young and Co.  

I'm not usually doom and gloom but pack it up folks.  Look at the schedule.  We could bring every pro bowl linebacker on the team right now and nothing will change until THE franchise QB is here.  In the meantime, I enjoy watching Heineke play and I've lowered my expectations.  

Just now, Dirt said:

Look across the league. The best QBs win.  This defense thing barely matters.  It looked neat while we beat bad teams and won a bad division.  Funs over when you have a first place schedule.   No hate for Heineke, but he's only here because of the Tampa playoff game.

Speaking of that game, that was the first time we saw this great d line get zero pressure and I figured ok it's Brady.  No.  Any decent QB or team is completely unfazed by chase young and Co.  

I'm not usually doom and gloom but pack it up folks.  Look at the schedule.  We could bring every pro bowl linebacker on the team right now and nothing will change until THE franchise QB is here.  In the meantime, I enjoy watching Heineke play and I've lowered my expectations.  

Defense still matters but you gotta be good across the board and have a scheme and mindset that fits the players.

• Thumb up 2

21 minutes ago, carex said:

I'm not sure if I believe the buying into their own hype thing, because a lot of times we don't have guys in position to make plays which suggests a scheme thing to me

Yep, and our LB's our terrible. If Detroit is offering up Jamie Collins then we should do it. We need more talent at LB to help cover receivers and get to the QB. Holcomb and Bostic just don't scare anyone. Also, JDR needs to figure out ways to move #99 around so teams cant gameplan for him by doubling him or scheming against him. I remember Joe Gibbs talking about how hard it was to prepare for Lawrence Taylor because the NYG would move him all over the place looking for the weak link to attack. We have to get more creative with Chase...

JDR did try to bring pressure.  Kam Curl has an opportunity and hesitates.  Certainly, there's plenty of blame to go around.  Coaches and players alike.  WJ III and BSJ are going to be fine.  Need a good star/slot corner who can cover clever route runners like Beasley.  They're the teams achilleas heel.  Curl is a keeper.  Probably need another safety.  Or two if they want to go with the Buffalo nickel.  (Sub safety for the star corner)  Need another LB to replace Bostic.  Really good try-hard player who will make a good coach.  But he's a liability on the field.  No athleticism any more.  It's over.  DL will play better if they can get more help from the back end.  Although, CY 99 is not playing up to the level of a game changing #2 pick in the draft.  

Edited by ThomasRoane
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Defense still matters but you gotta be good across the board and have a scheme and mindset that fits the players.

Absolutely.  But being good across the board on defense is virtually impossible.  We're basically complaining that we have 4 first rounders on the line and not 3 first rounders at LB.  On offense?  You need one good QB whether he's a first rounder or not. 

Think about it - how many defenses did the Football world even talk about last year?  Ours, because chase made it 4 first rounders and they beat up crappy teams toward the end of the season. 

If I'm washington, I'm shifting all focus to finding a QB.  Not a Fitzpatrick, not a guy from Carolina, not the heineike buzz.  A really nfl starting QB.  It's all that matters these days.

The defense sucks all around.  Chase Young is a jag.  Yes I said it.  I think he is a quality starter and may have a couple pro bowls, but he was non-existent today.  That is the most concerning part of this season.  I though we were just a QB away.  Are 2 lbs, a CB, a FS, a couple WR, and a QB away.  Holy ****.  At least the o-line is playing well this year.  

21 minutes ago, Dirt said:

If I'm washington, I'm shifting all focus to finding a QB.  Not a Fitzpatrick, not a guy from Carolina, not the heineike buzz.  A really nfl starting QB.  It's all that matters these days.

Agreed.  But not 2021-2022  There's no good prospect in the draft and the WFT can't afford the draft capitol to trade for one.  Too many holes.