Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

1 hour ago, IrepDC said:

One extra week of car crash like collisions is definitely going to wear on players bodies. They are already pushing their bodies beyond reasonable limits as it is. We literally see devastating injuries year after year, game after game, even in preseason games, injuries that sometimes effect players for their lives, and you're acting like an extra week of that is nothing.

It's not like player health wasn't an issue and all of a sudden one game is being blamed for their "combustion." We already see player health is an issue and they're adding the extra game on top of it. We already see a rise in younger players retiring because the wear and tear is just not worth it. I don't think you had bad intentions, but this take comes off as really out of touch in my opinion.

I think you may have misunderstood his point. No one is saying football isn't a rough sport. No one is saying any additional football won't lead to more wear and tear and thus injuries. But some are acting like 17 games is some huge tipping point that will create a cascade of injuries and require strategic alterations. Something vastly different than 16 games. And there's little to support that. Mainly because nearly half the league was already playing 17 games if you include the playoffs.

On a personal note, I don't see the need for more games. It's clearly a cash grab. And although players will get more money, they'll also receive the brunt of the negative side too. But I don't think you'll see vast changes in how the game already is.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Not yet himself.  Let's hope we see the real Samuel on Game Day.

He looked extremely fast on that route, in and out of his break quickly but efficiently (there wasn't even a DB that got close, no one even in the frame) perfect hand placement for the catch, turned up field without hesitation. Strode effortlessly toward the end zone. Easily a 40 yd play come game day. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Jericho said:

I think you may have misunderstood his point. No one is saying football isn't a rough sport. No one is saying any additional football won't lead to more wear and tear and thus injuries. But some are acting like 17 games is some huge tipping point that will create a cascade of injuries and require strategic alterations. Something vastly different than 16 games. And there's little to support that. Mainly because nearly half the league was already playing 17 games if you include the playoffs.

On a personal note, I don't see the need for more games. It's clearly a cash grab. And although players will get more money, they'll also receive the brunt of the negative side too. But I don't think you'll see vast changes in how the game already is.

When you're essentially playing Russian roulette with your body, pulling the trigger "just one more time" can't be downplayed. Just my opinion, though. I get what you guys are trying to say.

18 minutes ago, GothSkinsFan said:

Didn't expect to see the Curling iron starting at FS.  Gonna clamp down and put some heat on, twist 'em up in circles, and permanently wave the opposing receivers back to the bench.

Funny when I mentioned prior to camp that Curl would play free safety, a few guys on here talked about how he was a strong safety because he took over for Landon. The secondary coach stated that both safeties are interchangeable so free or strong doesn’t matter. 

More importantly, I think Curl is on the field often not only as a safety but a slot corner. I really hope he continues to get better in his second year because he could be the biggest key to our pass defense, maybe more than St Juste starting at corner. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

A bit surprised about Curl at FS, but if the speed he picked up the SS position (and the level he played it) is any indication, the position should be in capable hands.

I don’t think the secondary will be elite or anything, but I feel like quite comfortable with our top 4 corners and top 4 safeties.

5 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

A bit surprised about Curl at FS, but if the speed he picked up the SS position (and the level he played it) is any indication, the position should be in capable hands.

I don’t think the secondary will be elite or anything, but I feel like quite comfortable with our top 4 corners and top 4 safeties.

Feeling much better this year than last! To be honest, I'm feeling better about every position group than last year. Only negative difference i see is in the strength of opponents and the relative health of the opponents as opposed to last year.

Edited by Chris 44
  • Like 3

Lots of speculation that Jamin Davis was getting work at MLB for training camp/preseason only, then switched over to Weakside LB for the regular season, but that's not the case.

Doesn't matter as much given Nickel is what we'll use mostly, but they either think he's close enough in development, or he should be getting game reps no matter what.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jericho said:

But some are acting like 17 games is some huge tipping point that will create a cascade of injuries and require strategic alterations. Something vastly different than 16 games.

I think the issue isn't 17 at all, but that we've seen how poorly modern rosters have been surviving 16 games.  With the size and speed of modern players, it's really tough to survive attrition and that's before we added another game. Looks at our 'skins. Last year was a pretty healthy year, but we still wound up on our fourth string QB, had to pick up wide receivers like Wright off the street, and barely managed to cobble together an o line. One more game isn't all that much except if the previous number of games already took most teams over the tipping point.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Borgold said:

I think the issue isn't 17 at all, but that we've seen how poorly modern rosters have been surviving 16 games.  With the size and speed of modern players, it's really tough to survive attrition and that's before we added another game. Looks at our 'skins. Last year was a pretty healthy year, but we still wound up on our fourth string QB, had to pick up wide receivers like Wright off the street, and barely managed to cobble together an o line. One more game isn't all that much except if the previous number of games already took most teams over the tipping point.

Thing is, I'm not sure it did. I mean the NFL has always had injuries. I don't think any team is expecting that same 53 players to all stay healthy. There's no escaping that. Though your Washington example does not seem great. I'm not sure which Wright you are referring to, I'm guessing Isaiah Wright? But he was on the 53 from camp. He wasn't an injury replacement. Unless you want to say he was "replacing" Harmon, though Wright wasn't even the last receiver on the roster. It's just that Washington's WRs were very weak from the jump. Maybe you were thinking of Robert Foster? The OL also seemed relatively healthy. Roullier literally took every snap and both Schweitzer and Moses were over 90%. Scherff was at nearly 80% of the snaps and LT saw Christian give way to Lucas. Christian was officially hurt, but also not super effective so there was an element of performance as well. The did have injuries at QB. But one of the three guys started the season basically playing on one league. And Haskins was cut. So it was rally just one injury here, to Kyle Allen, and the fact Alex Smith was already injured coming into the season. The biggest injuries were really on defense, to Ioannidis and Collins.

But I don't deny that there are injuries. And I wouldn't be shocked to see the NFL alter its roster rules in the near future. And I get it, even one more game will lead to more injuries somewhere to someone. Though I'm not sure what the answer is. Even if you had larger rosters, when a team loses a star player there's no real replacement.  You might have a physical body to occupy the position, but the won't be at the same level of player. So I'm not sure larger rosters really changes anything. The larger practice squads are largely expanded rosters already.

And on another note, I'd argue the bigger issue for injuries isn't the extra game but those Thursday night games. Those tend to be terrible because the players still haven't recovered from the prior weekend.

Just to give it some perspective. Going from sixteen games per season to seventeen is an increase of 6.25%.

Players obviously have a greater chance of picking up an injury the more games they play, but adding one game to a sixteen game season doesn't significantly increase that chance.

45 minutes ago, London Kev said:

Just to give it some perspective. Going from sixteen games per season to seventeen is an increase of 6.25%.

Players obviously have a greater chance of picking up an injury the more games they play, but adding one game to a sixteen game season doesn't significantly increase that chance.

And yet from a statistics perspective it is significant as it is greater than 5%.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silvernon said:

And yet from a statistics perspective it is significant as it is greater than 5%.

That's not exactly what statistical significance means. Statistical significance is about the relation of variables and ultimately the predictive value. Essentially whether something is happening by chance or not. Sheer increases in one number is not per se anything.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/5/2021 at 11:03 AM, sjinhan said:

one thing to know is that before the player gets “poached”, WFT will have a choice to essentially match the offer and move the player to the active roster by cutting one of their active players.   Unlikely scenario but i believe the team has that one addition benefit along with the player being able to practice with your team.

Sometimes this is true, sometimes it isn’t. It’s completely up to the player, it’s not codified anywhere that the team gets first dibs, they can choose to sign to whatever active roster they want, whether we offer or not. Sometimes guys choose the new opportunity regardless, usually they stay in the system they already know…but that’s also the team that already decided they were worth exposing to waivers in the first place. So it depends. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Not for me, I mentioned it on the training camp thread I saw that in practice a bunch

Yep, Curl is our FS and we paid a ton for Collins who was signed in FA to be our FS is our SS.  Allen was in charge though at the time.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, RWJ said:

Yep, Curl is our FS and we paid a ton for Collins who was signed in FA to be our FS is our SS.  Allen was in charge though at the time.

Collins has never been thought of as a FS, by absolutely anyone who's ever watched football. He's a box safety and always has been.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Silvernon said:

If you're doing a reliability test and the p-value is 5% or less, then yes, it is significant. But if you're just analysing the percentage change between two numbers, then 5% may, or may not be significant, I don't think that it is.

I do concede that it is open to interpretation depending on the values involved, and I probably should have qualified my statement with an "IMO".

<Edit> I just saw that @Jericho had already replied. I didn't realise and am not just piling on.

Edited by London Kev
  • Like 1