Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Interesting that these are the guys they chose to protect

I understand the LB's because we're so drastically short and weak there.

I understand Wise, because he's ripe for picking by another club.

I don't understand Martin.

11 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

That Curtis Samuel guy reminds me of Jordan Reed...

Can we nickname him "Hot Tub Samuel" ?

For many teams, this would be a major concern: one of their star playmakers dealing with an injury with an unknown timetable for recovery. But this offseason, in addition to signing Samuel, Washington added playmakers to pair with a veteran quarterback in Ryan Fitzpatrick. The team’s depth and versatility at receiver — a stark change from last year, when it was depleted at the position from the outset — may ultimately save the offense if Samuel is unable to play, or play at full health.

“The unique part about it is we got some young guys who have been able to get some reps while he’s been out and they’ve developed really well,” Washington’s leading receiver Terry McLaurin said. “We have confidence in those guys if Curtis can’t go on Sunday, but he’s in the game plan, so we’re just going to have to see what happens from there.”

Samuel’s absence for the entire offseason and training camp created ample opportunity for those behind him in the receivers room. And although his effectiveness in both the pass game and run game can’t be replicated, Washington does have options to help make up for Samuel’s absence if he cannot play Sunday.

The team’s newest pieces include rookie receivers Dyami Brown and Dax Milne, who flashed in camp and proved capable of playing beyond their college reputations. At North Carolina, Brown excelled on the go route, blazing past defenders with his speed before lunging to make contested catches. Milne, a seventh-round pick out of Brigham Young, was a no-star recruit coming out of high school who walked on in college and turned into Zach Wilson’s top target. Though he lacks eye-catching top-end speed, Milne dropped only one pass in camp and impressed McLaurin with his attention to detail on his routes.

“They don’t really play like rookies,” McLaurin said of Brown and Milne. “They’ll have some mistakes here and there, but those are growing pains. But both of them, I call them ‘Silent Assassins.’ They don’t really talk too much ... but they go in and they do their job and they make plays. And for two young guys to come in here and do that at such an early time in their careers when we haven’t even played games, that builds confidence in ... our coaches and that builds confidence in their teammates that if they have an opportunity to go into the game, they’re going to make the play if it comes to them.”

The oft-overlooked player in the group is also one of the most familiar: Cam Sims, the former practice squad player who had a career year last season with 32 catches for 477 receiving yards and a touchdown. At 6-foot-5, 220 pounds, Sims has the size and athleticism to leap over corners and tack on extra yards (he led Washington’s receivers with an average of 7.8 yards after the catch last season). Yet he also the instincts to just be in the right place at the right time.

“Cam is a guy I didn’t know a whole lot about when I got here,” Fitzpatrick said. “I reached out to Alex Smith and just said, ‘Alex, I really like this Cam Sims. Am I seeing things correctly?’ Same response from him.

“[Sims] is so quarterback-friendly,” Fitzpatrick continued. “You can put him everywhere, he’s a big body, very reliable, he’s going to be in the right spot, but he’s also a down-the-field that’s going to go above the rim and be able to get the ball. ... He’s had a great offseason and he’s one of my favorites out there.”

Washington also signed a reliable slot receiver in Adam Humphries, who played with Fitzpatrick in Miami, and added more speed with DeAndre Carter, who doubles as the team’s top returner.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5

18 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I really believe Samuel being out is almost as much as a concern at RB depth as it is with him lost as a WR. I'm in the thinking that Samuel has a role at RB behind AG.

That means Patterson will fill that role. I find that exciting to be honest.  See what we have with the rook.  I like it. Hail

• Like 1

The entire offseason we discussed all the various ways Samuel can and will impact this team. 

It's time to adjust expectations. Anything we get from Samuel this season will be a bonus. I don't think the organization had much of a choice but to see if he could heal in time for the season. If he can't go Sunday; then he should be put IR. Listen I want him in there like the next person but its go time.

Cam, Dyami and Adam will get plenty of work this year. 

Ultimately; I still think we win the division and make a playoff run.

Works for me.

Edited by SkinsFootball
  • Like 1

Samuel had this injury the entirety of camp.  That means quite a few of the ideas for him never got to be executed in practice which means us not having them now isn't a huge loss.  I think we should put him on IR because this season like last only requires a guy to be out three games.  Considering our second game is next Thursday if he ca't make Sunday I don't see him making that.  Which means we'd only realistically be losing him for one extra game

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SkinsFootball said:

Samuel had this injury before training camp.

Let that sink in.

That sink has been knocking at the door for months, it seems.

We need to do something about it.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

For many teams, this would be a major concern: one of their star playmakers dealing with an injury with an unknown timetable for recovery. But this offseason, in addition to signing Samuel, Washington added playmakers to pair with a veteran quarterback in Ryan Fitzpatrick. The team’s depth and versatility at receiver — a stark change from last year, when it was depleted at the position from the outset — may ultimately save the offense if Samuel is unable to play, or play at full health.

“The unique part about it is we got some young guys who have been able to get some reps while he’s been out and they’ve developed really well,” Washington’s leading receiver Terry McLaurin said. “We have confidence in those guys if Curtis can’t go on Sunday, but he’s in the game plan, so we’re just going to have to see what happens from there.”

Samuel’s absence for the entire offseason and training camp created ample opportunity for those behind him in the receivers room. And although his effectiveness in both the pass game and run game can’t be replicated, Washington does have options to help make up for Samuel’s absence if he cannot play Sunday.

The team’s newest pieces include rookie receivers Dyami Brown and Dax Milne, who flashed in camp and proved capable of playing beyond their college reputations. At North Carolina, Brown excelled on the go route, blazing past defenders with his speed before lunging to make contested catches. Milne, a seventh-round pick out of Brigham Young, was a no-star recruit coming out of high school who walked on in college and turned into Zach Wilson’s top target. Though he lacks eye-catching top-end speed, Milne dropped only one pass in camp and impressed McLaurin with his attention to detail on his routes.

“They don’t really play like rookies,” McLaurin said of Brown and Milne. “They’ll have some mistakes here and there, but those are growing pains. But both of them, I call them ‘Silent Assassins.’ They don’t really talk too much ... but they go in and they do their job and they make plays. And for two young guys to come in here and do that at such an early time in their careers when we haven’t even played games, that builds confidence in ... our coaches and that builds confidence in their teammates that if they have an opportunity to go into the game, they’re going to make the play if it comes to them.”

The oft-overlooked player in the group is also one of the most familiar: Cam Sims, the former practice squad player who had a career year last season with 32 catches for 477 receiving yards and a touchdown. At 6-foot-5, 220 pounds, Sims has the size and athleticism to leap over corners and tack on extra yards (he led Washington’s receivers with an average of 7.8 yards after the catch last season). Yet he also the instincts to just be in the right place at the right time.

“Cam is a guy I didn’t know a whole lot about when I got here,” Fitzpatrick said. “I reached out to Alex Smith and just said, ‘Alex, I really like this Cam Sims. Am I seeing things correctly?’ Same response from him.

“[Sims] is so quarterback-friendly,” Fitzpatrick continued. “You can put him everywhere, he’s a big body, very reliable, he’s going to be in the right spot, but he’s also a down-the-field that’s going to go above the rim and be able to get the ball. ... He’s had a great offseason and he’s one of my favorites out there.”

Washington also signed a reliable slot receiver in Adam Humphries, who played with Fitzpatrick in Miami, and added more speed with DeAndre Carter, who doubles as the team’s top returner.

On top of all that, he shined the most, in his biggest game - the playoff game.

So add to his long list of accolades, the fact that his nerves or his performance are not affected by pressure situations. But quite the opposite.

Am I the only one who thinks with Samuel likely a no go, that Dyami is going to step up immediately in a big way? 

Remember Terry's rookie year where we heard almost nothing out of camp on him other than he was impressive in practice. Then he burst out of the gate immediately when the season started. This feels eerily similar, but that could be the homer in me. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

Am I the only one who thinks with Samuel likely a no go, that Dyami is going to step up immediately in a big way? 

Yes, I believe he will.

It's weird how all through camp, there's all this talk about how super deep and talented we are at WR.

Yet, we lose just one WR, and sudddenly the sky is falling 😆

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ThomasRoane said:

Or, it could be Dyami Brown who benefits.  He has more size.  I didn't watch him a lot at UNC though.  Did he run any jet sweeps with them?  

Not entirely sure, in regards to jet sweeps, don’t remember seeing it in the highlight videos I’ve watched, but that’s relying on memory from months ago. He seems like a guy you want stretching the defense vertically. 

Pure speculation due to Samuel not playing a down for Washington, and assumed much of his work would be underneath with YAC opportunity. Maybe even line up next to Fitzpatrick in shotgun sets on 3rd downs. 

Edited by wit33

On 9/7/2021 at 1:55 PM, XxSpearheadxX said:

Wow that is a very large very athletic offensive tackle with a very large amount of consonant letters in his name. 

Hopefully he was a late bloomer. Ron seems to go after late bloomers, I guess the value is highest on them if you catch them before the boom. 

8 - 3 consonant-to-vowel ratio, unless the y declares as vowel-eligible (then it's 7-4), but it's Polish, so...?  I was in my 20's before i realized Mike "Shehshefski" was Coach K.

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I understand the LB's because we're so drastically short and weak there.

I understand Wise, because he's ripe for picking by another club.

I don't understand Martin.

Not sure I fully understand two LBs. Yes the team is weak there, but these guys are basically special teamers. If someone goes down, I would think you might find better options in free agency. Martin I think is basically lineman #10 and the team puts value on that.

This could linger in a bad way, yeah. Very possible and it means we’ll be unhappy about it for a while before getting a return on our cap investment.

But lol at the people acting like this is an Achilles that popped. Holy crap. The dude’s career didn’t get cut short by a groin injury, get a grip. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Rskins91 said:

Look, I’m bummed that Samuel might not be suiting up soon as well, but some of these takes are just hilariously knee jerk.

”Cut our losses” or “He’ll be on IR the whole year” are just atrocious takes without more info. 

IR the whole year? Not that extreme but yes it's disappointing that our prize FA acquisition hasn't been able to practice all offseason and to start the season.

It's not his fault our fan base has been burned by this in the past. It just stinks.

9 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

All I ask is that the fanbase here doesn't start declaring Dyami a bust if he doesn't have the monster game some seem to be expecting.

I may say some stupid things in the GameDay thread, I can't help myself.

But if it helps I'm consciously aware of how stupid I'm being!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, Jericho said:

Not sure I fully understand two LBs. Yes the team is weak there, but these guys are basically special teamers. If someone goes down, I would think you might find better options in free agency. Martin I think is basically lineman #10 and the team puts value on that.

wonder if the folks we protected this week are in positions more likely to get scooped up by the giants.

it’s a short week against them and there’s always inter-divisional poaching 

• Like 1