Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

53 you'd be willing to cut just to promote a short yardage back for a game or two where he may or may not actually serve a purpose. And this is cut, not deactivate.

I would be more than willing to move a player to the PS that does not serve a role for one that does. We can't even dress 53 on game day so there are several players that figure to be insurance anyway, any of those players would suffice. Unless one of those guys is someone you figure to be a part of your long term future.

Moving players on the back of the roster back and forth is common hat for any team, and I expect us to do it at many positions over the course of the year. The exact who, does not matter too much.

The issue with Gibson is that he's never come close to a full season's workload for a lead back in his college or NFL career.  He's not going to make it through 17+ games with 20 touches per game.  When he misses time, we need power in our backfield and Barber was the closest thing we had to that.  We need to find it somewhere else now.

9 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The issue with Gibson is that he's never come close to a full season's workload for a lead back in his college or NFL career.  He's not going to make it through 17+ games with 20 touches per game.  When he misses time, we need power in our backfield and Barber was the closest thing we had to that.  We need to find it somewhere else now.

I can get with this if you say this is true for every running back outside of Derek Henry. I’m one who expects every RB to get injured in a season. 

Agree another RB is needed. 

35 minutes ago, wit33 said:

I can get with this if you say this is true for every running back outside of Derek Henry. I’m one who expects every RB to get injured in a season. 

Agree another RB is needed. 

I think it's particularly true for a guy who came up playing WR instead of RB.  I don't understand the science of how it happens, but your body gets conditioned for the usage of the position when you do it in your formative years.  And even still, it takes a minute for the majority of RB prospects to get their bodies conditioned to the NFL once they make the jump to the next level.  Realistically, Gibson still needs seasoning time before he is ready for the workload we want to give him.  I bet he's going to hit another wall in like late October or November.

6 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I think it's particularly true for a guy who came up playing WR instead of RB.  I don't understand the science of how it happens, but your body gets conditioned for the usage of the position when you do it in your formative years.  And even still, it takes a minute for the majority of RB prospects to get their bodies conditioned to the NFL once they make the jump to the next level.  Realistically, Gibson still needs seasoning time before he is ready for the workload we want to give him.  I bet he's going to hit another wall in like late October or November.

Another wall? The dude was turning it on and getting BETTER during the time frame you say he was “hitting a wall.” Would have broken our all time rookie record for TD’s but missed TWO games with a weird injury that really has nothing to do with the body conditioning and position you’re talking about. No RB averages 20 carries a game anymore except Henry, that’s why McKissic sees touches and so will Patterson. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Let Patterson run under everyone's legs.

If vision really is key to a good short yardage back, he probably would do fine. I figure at least fifty perccent of a good short yardage run is the blocking. The rest is the rb finding a crease or powering, leaking, or scooting around the end.

I am sure I am preaching to choir here, but need to get this off my chest - again! I cannot think of many dumber rules than the game day inactives. Further proof the NFLPA may be the worst labor negotiating group in the history of unions. With the 17 game season not only should they get rid of the game day inactives they should increase the roster to 60 plus 8 on the PS. 

There is still the CAP to keep people from loading up on talent unfairly. The idea that game day inactives helps keep the competitive balance is bull**** - that is the reasons I see most when looking at why they have it. If someone can give me a good reason for the game day inactives I would love to hear it. 

They even did away with the 3rd emergency QB rule. So if your 2 actives go down you can't use your 3rd. 

Ok, feel better now. Carry on. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 2

42 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Interesting, if true. 

An NFL affiliate posting that, just continues to prove that the NFL is just another rich old white guy club.

I like Trap because he's a DB, great on Teams, has awesome mesurables and seems to be a favorite on the club and he went to PSU. I'd be pretty siked if we drafted Porter in the 7th next year.

Dumb.

• Thumb up 1

57 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I am sure I am preaching to choir here, but need to get this off my chest - again! I cannot think of many dumber rules than the game day inactives. Further proof the NFLPA may be the worst labor negotiating group in the history of unions. With the 17 game season not only should they get rid of the game day inactives they should increase the roster to 60 plus 8 on the PS. 

There is still the CAP to keep people from loading up on talent unfairly. The idea that game day inactives helps keep the competitive balance is bull**** - that is the reasons I see most when looking at why they have it. If someone can give me a good reason for the game day inactives I would love to hear it. 

They even did away with the 3rd emergency QB rule. So if your 2 actives go down you can't use your 3rd. 

Ok, feel better now. Carry on. 

Someone on sports radio was saying the same thing.

Remember the current deal barely passed. In order for the union to get a fairer deal; they have to be willing to strike. They aren’t; so the nfl runs rings around the players.

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

I have never thought about it before, but would the NFLPA even want an expanded roster?  If the salary cap is tied to revenue, it seems like a larger roster just reduces the amount of $ available for all the players who are NFLPA members currently.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, moondog said:

Another wall? The dude was turning it on and getting BETTER during the time frame you say he was “hitting a wall.” Would have broken our all time rookie record for TD’s but missed TWO games with a weird injury that really has nothing to do with the body conditioning and position you’re talking about. No RB averages 20 carries a game anymore except Henry, that’s why McKissic sees touches and so will Patterson. 

20 touches per game.  That's lead work in this offense, especially since his back ups aren't very good.  He broke down last season the game after his Thanksgiving performance where he got his season high in touches and snaps, and he was either inactive or ineffective for the final six games of the year.  The reason that wall would come a bit earlier this season is because he'll get way more work out of the gate.

I wonder if with the 17 game schedule we see a trend of teams carrying two lead backs, and 4 backs total. 

Sharing the load between two RBs seems way more sustainable than expecting anyone outside of backs like prime Adrian Peterson to last 17 games.

Backup RB may become a priority moving forward. Who becomes our bell-cow when Antonio Gibson's turf toe flares up for two weeks? I guess the answer is Jarrett Patterson for now.

Or maybe this is all a non-issue for our particular team since we aren't a traditional power run scheme. Maybe we just spread the load out between AG, JP, and McKissick evenly

Either way I can totally see a two-headed monster trend coming back in the NFL though.

15 minutes ago, DC Lumber Co. said:

I wonder if with the 17 game schedule we see a trend of teams carrying two lead backs, and 4 backs total. 

Sharing the load between two RBs seems way more sustainable than expecting anyone outside of backs like prime Adrian Peterson to last 17 games.

Backup RB may become a priority moving forward. Who becomes our bell-cow when Antonio Gibson's turf toe flares up for two weeks? I guess the answer is Jarrett Patterson for now.

Or maybe this is all a non-issue for our particular team since we aren't a traditional power run scheme. Maybe we just spread the load out between AG, JP, and McKissick evenly

Either way I can totally see a two-headed monster trend coming back in the NFL though.

I think RB depth has always been seen as an unnecessary annoyance for most fans because of fantasy football, but that teams value it highly and are willing to spend a lot of high draft picks to acquire it.  This is the exact issue I was worried about this spring, and why I was begging for the FO to address the thinness of our RB position.  Patterson is a nice story, but he's Chris Thompson/Darren Sproles sized and that is the only kind of role he is suitable for.  He'll break if we try and use him as a replacement for Gibson.

The Patriots are the savviest team in the league, and they used a couple of tools to build a comical amount of depth at TE and RB this year.  It seemed to me like they were spending and drafting stupidly at the time, but now I get it.  This schedule is going to be Hell on those positions, and any team with aspirations of playing 19+ games and controlling possession and the LoS is going to need multiple starting quality players at them.

We can get this kind of depth by next offseason, but I think we're going to get a lesson this year.  I look at the roster and see a group that is absolutely oriented to a 49ers-style smashmouth outside zone run heavy offense.  You've got two run dominant guards and a good run blocking center and now a road grader RT.  You've got two new TEs who can be real assets in the run game.  You've got a couple of outside receivers who are good blockers.  And you've got a bad QB situation.  Unless Aaron Rodgers walks through our door next offseason, our best shot at getting enough offensive power to contend is to copy the 49ers on offense.  Or even better would be the Ravens if we can get a QB that can run, but we're not as talented as them.

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

An NFL affiliate posting that, just continues to prove that the NFL is just another rich old white guy club.

I like Trap because he's a DB, great on Teams, has awesome mesurables and seems to be a favorite on the club and he went to PSU. I'd be pretty siked if we drafted Porter in the 7th next year.

Dumb.

…. Not sure if you’re serious 🧐 

(if you are, this is a meme page unaffiliated with the NFL)