Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

17 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I agree with most of what you said but I totally disagree with your take on expanding the roster. 

Your exaggeration of people wanting an additional 53 aside, no one has come even close to this.

I agree 100% that rosters should be changed - all can be active or a higher number then 53, etc. But my point was that many posts here and football news articles now often have an obligatory mention of the 17 game schedule in terms of more injuries and players rights and benefits etc.

It’s one game. But people act like players bodies will implode from all that extra work. I just don’t get it. Again, I’m all for a bigger roster or other similar proposals but I think the argument about more injuries or people bodies breaking down from ONE additional game is a little crazy. It’s not like playoff teams that go an additional 2, 3 or 4 games suddenly have to sign 23 players cuz everyone on their squad spontaneously combusted from their additional games. 

• Like 2

On 9/3/2021 at 5:29 PM, redskinss said:

What is the point t of having a kicker on your practice squad?

Legit question because I don't understand it.

He can be poached at any time from any team so how is that different than him just being a free agent?

Are there good reasons to want to have a kicker on the squad earlier than necessary for training purposes?

one thing to know is that before the player gets “poached”, WFT will have a choice to essentially match the offer and move the player to the active roster by cutting one of their active players.   Unlikely scenario but i believe the team has that one addition benefit along with the player being able to practice with your team.

• Thanks 1

Many within the DMV local media would likely be upset by this -- if I had to pick an off season theme from them in the mix it has to be:  "you know the Giants are really really good and why don't enough people say it, and hint hint hint they are better than than the WFT." 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/32133526/nfl-projections-unit-grades-2021-mike-clay-best-worst-offenses-defenses-plus-ranking-all-32-teams

NFL projections and unit grades for 2021: Mike Clay's best, worst offenses and defenses, plus ranking all 32 teams

9. Dallas Cowboys*

The Cowboys were well-positioned for a run at the NFC East division title last season, but Dak Prescott's season-ending leg injury put that to bed in a hurry. Prescott is back for 2021 and will have one of the league's best supporting casts at his disposal. Dallas' loaded offensive line is back to full health, and the roster includes arguably the NFL's best wide receiver trio -- Amari Cooper, CeeDee Lamb and Michael Gallup.

The big concern is a defense that doesn't look good on paper. DeMarcus Lawrence is the only clear-cut star on the unit, though youngsters such as Micah Parsons, Trevon Diggs and Kelvin Joseph bring some depth to the table. New coordinator Dan Quinn will surely be a finalist for assistant coach of the year if he finds a way to get strong play out of this unit. With a suspect defense and a terrific offense, Dallas figures to be in the thick of things in the NFC East.

11. Washington Football Team*

The defending NFC East champions are positioned for a run at back-to-back titles thanks to one of the league's top defenses. Washington's unit, led by Chase Young, was already very good in 2020, and offseason additions William Jackson and first-round pick Jamin Davis only make it better. The offense is also better with Ryan Fitzpatrick at quarterback (sixth in QBR last season) and wide receiver Curtis Samuel added to a skill-position group that includes Antonio Gibson, Terry McLaurin and Logan Thomas. The competition for the NFC wild card spots is likely to be tough, but if Fitzpatrick can keep it rolling at 38 years old, Washington will surely give Dallas a run for its money in the NFC East.

22. New York Giants

The Giants are entering a big season for the franchise after an aggressive and productive offseason that has set up third-year quarterback Daniel Jones with his best group of targets yet. That includes newcomers Kenny Golladay, Kyle Rudolph, Kadarius Toney, incumbents Evan Engram, Sterling Shepard and Darius Slayton and a healthy Saquon Barkley. The problem? Jones, who has led the NFL in fumbles each of the past two seasons, will be playing behind arguably the league's worst offensive line.

The defense features one of the best secondaries -- Adoree' Jackson was a good, underrated signing -- and interior defensive lines, but edge rusher remains a concern. All in all, it's a good unit, but it won't be enough to get this team to the playoffs without major progression from Jones.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

I'm starting to think that cutting Barber is a sign that Curtis Samuel is going to get a LOT of work in this offense. Gibson will be the lead back but Samuel will be the Tyreek Hill guy for us in the redzone and throughout. He will get handoffs and screen passes, may even throw the ball some. Between Gibson, TMac and Samuel we have some serious speed and athleticism. 

That and McKissic won't get as much.

I'm thinking there's going to be a lot of swapping with Gibson and Samuel in motion.  If a LB goes outside to cover Gibson and the CB in the box.  We can exploit that.  If the LB stays inside, we can exploit that too.  If there's a CB that blows against screens, Gibson will feast.

Turners misdirection offense needs talent to accentuate the mismatches.  We didn't have that last year.

Like how Shanahan's offense needs their super athletic FB and TE to make defenses look silly, and then the offense was inconsistent at best last year without one of that pair.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sjinhan said:

one thing to know is that before the player gets “poached”, WFT will have a choice to essentially match the offer and move the player to the active roster by cutting one of their active players.   Unlikely scenario but i believe the team has that one addition benefit along with the player being able to practice with your team.

That's not an official rule, though it is very common practice.

• Like 1

Fitz very impressed with Dyami Brown and Dax Milne

https://www.si.com/nfl/washingtonfootball/news/ryan-fitzpatrick-washington-football-rookies-dyami-brown-dax-milne-news

>>....Specifically, their veteran quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick is very pleased thus far with what each man brings to the squad. 

"Both are very smart," Fitzpatrick told media when asked about his new pass-catchers. "Receiver, believe it or not is a very difficult position to play when you're young ..."

...."Obviously,'' Fitz said, "they're talented. They're both here in the NFL, but not a whole lot of mental mistakes for either of them. For Dyami in particular, just such a quiet confidence about him. And you could just tell that he's a playmaker...."<<

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Jericho said:

And there it is. Highly expected, though highly underwhelming. Hopefully it won't matter in the end.

Well... any RB to be had at this point is going to be underwhelming, but I don't see this as much different than Barber, so we really didn't loose anything here...

Edited by DiscoBob
  • Like 1

Agreed.  Keeping Barber available would have been preferable ... but Williams fits the bill -- as well as can be expected for this point in time -- and he has some familiarity with with the Washington offense.

Frankly, I thought more Washington players were going to be 'poached' after the September cuts, and was somewhat relieved by the actual results. I get why Montez went to Detroit,  where there might be more opportunity. And losing Barber came about because the Raiders really needed another RB.  But at least Washington retained most of their high-potential players.

Edited by Wyvern

On 9/5/2021 at 9:59 AM, moondog said:

I agree 100% that rosters should be changed - all can be active or a higher number then 53, etc. But my point was that many posts here and football news articles now often have an obligatory mention of the 17 game schedule in terms of more injuries and players rights and benefits etc.

It’s one game. But people act like players bodies will implode from all that extra work. I just don’t get it. Again, I’m all for a bigger roster or other similar proposals but I think the argument about more injuries or people bodies breaking down from ONE additional game is a little crazy. It’s not like playoff teams that go an additional 2, 3 or 4 games suddenly have to sign 23 players cuz everyone on their squad spontaneously combusted from their additional games. 

One extra week of car crash like collisions is definitely going to wear on players bodies. They are already pushing their bodies beyond reasonable limits as it is. We literally see devastating injuries year after year, game after game, even in preseason games, injuries that sometimes effect players for their lives, and you're acting like an extra week of that is nothing.

It's not like player health wasn't an issue and all of a sudden one game is being blamed for their "combustion." We already see player health is an issue and they're adding the extra game on top of it. We already see a rise in younger players retiring because the wear and tear is just not worth it. I don't think you had bad intentions, but this take comes off as really out of touch in my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1