Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

And there’s the Heinicke tweak that usually derails his preseason enough to keep him from showing his stuff and getting a “real” shot. Hopefully it’s nothing but it’s constant with him. He’s lucky he’s already gotten the chance to

show he’s a gamer here so his roster spot isn’t in jeopardy, just his starting opportunity (which wasn’t remotely likely for week 1 anyways). 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, terpfan said:

Totally fine with Saahdiq being the utility man for the offensive line this year.  Gives us amazing depth to have a guy with his talent as essentially the 4th tackle and the 4th guard. Give him another year to practice at both spots with the expectation that next year he competes for a starting job at one or the other…

While I’m a little bummed he doesn’t seem to be competing for a starting gig, the ability to free up a roster spot is big.  And as you suggest, let’s see how he looks next year with Lucas/Leno/Scherff all FAs.

@dyst I actually disagree with your premise regarding Gibson.  He’s a shifty runner (and showed impressive burst, IMO), but when he did get a chance to run a straight line, he looked fast to me.  He was able to turn the corner (rushing and receiving) multiple times because the defender misjudged their angle because of his speed.  Same with the number of guys he left laying out trying to get a hand on him.  I also don’t recall him getting caught from behind (unless a defender had a running start).

If I were to go along with your point though, the combo of turf toe, adjusting to the position and system, and the fact he rarely had a runway to actually get to full speed should explain it.  He also mentioned dropping some weight this offseason - it’s possible he bulked up a bit last year and lost a touch of speed/burst.  JMO

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

And there’s the Heinicke tweak that usually derails his preseason enough to keep him from showing his stuff and getting a “real” shot. Hopefully it’s nothing but it’s constant with him. He’s lucky he’s already gotten the chance to

show he’s a gamer here so his roster spot isn’t in jeopardy, just his starting opportunity (which wasn’t remotely likely for week 1 anyways). 

Hopefully he's like a reverse Taylor Jacobs where it doesn't show up in practice/offseason, but the guy went up against the eventual Super Bowl champions with two weeks notice and balled out.  I'll take sucks-in-August rocks-in-January all day every day.

*Not implying that you disagree, your post is just what I'm piggybacking off of

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Bifflog said:

Feels like an IR stash, which works just fine for me.

I think this is the play that is most likely, given that other teams were interested in him, so exposing him on the practice squad may be a no-go.

On another note, I usually check out on preseason games once the backups are in, but the WR situation might make me watch offensive snaps until the end

10 minutes ago, Bantu said:

I think this is the play that is most likely, given that other teams were interested in him, so exposing him on the practice squad may be a no-go.

On another note, I usually check out on preseason games once the backups are in, but the WR situation might make me watch offensive snaps until the end

I wasn't counting on a Logan Thomas deal getting done, so that combined with emergence of Hemmingway and Bates developing, we can afford to slow play Reyes and hide him from the rest of the league.

• Like 2

Stashing Kyle Allen and Sammis Reyes on the IR seems like the move to me. Bottom of the depth chart guys who you don’t really need to start the season, but you don’t want to cut. Gives you some extra roster spots to work with. 

Edited by terpfan
  • Like 7

On 8/7/2021 at 9:54 PM, PartyPosse said:

A little scary when your #2 WR (last year) has to work on learning how to catch the ball.

"learning" how to catch the ball and working on catching the ball are two very different things. Sims Jr played well in the playoff game, catching a TD and I'm sure that helped boost his confidence moving forward. As you know, in sports, sometimes athletes lose their confidence and need to go back and work on fundamentals, etc....SS didn't make the team because there was nobody else who could play, he has NFL skills but had a bad year last year. Doesn't mean we should write him off. Let's see how he does in preseason games....with Samuel out it's a great opportunity for SS to step up and redeem himself. 

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Bantu said:

Same here, but I think there's gonna be quite a few genuine positional battles to watch, not just the WRs.

I don't think the starting OL has been fully decided yet. Second string TE and RB needs to be sorted. LBs and DBs still need some tweaking, and we still don't know who will be returning kicks/punts yet. We've got better depth than I can remember for a long time, and Ron's got some tough decisions to get down to 53 + PS.

Man, I can't wait for some football.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Why is the offensive line coach stopping plays and screaming expletives because the defense did something wrong.

Is that normal?

Maybe the goal of the play was to have the offensive line practice against certain defensive concepts.  And if the D screws up the concept, how is the O going to adequately learn?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, terpfan said:

Stashing Kyle Allen and Sammis Reyes on the IR seems like the move to me. Bottom of the depth chart guys who you don’t really need to start the season, but you don’t want to cut. Gives you some extra roster spots to work with. 

I think we'll keep 3 QBs on the roster, one of whom is Allen. Especially given the injury concerns for all three.

Edited by Stadium-Armory