Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

40 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Yeah I'm surprised to read that Keim thinks Apke will make the team.  Just for special teams?  Surely they can find a WR6 to do that job, I mean he's not exactly Steve Tasker and we all know by now his poor angles make it impossible for him to continue at safety.  

You need more than one person on special teams.  WR6 would also be on special teams, but you need more people.

11 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

You need more than one person on special teams.  WR6 would also be on special teams, but you need more people.

I get that. But Apke can't play safety, this is obvious. So if they are holding a spot just for a special teams guy he needs to be a great special teams guy and Apke ain't that either.  

1 minute ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I get that. But Apke can't play safety, this is obvious. So if they are holding a spot just for a special teams guy he needs to be a great special teams guy and Apke ain't that either.  

Isn't he supposed to be a really good gunner?  Maybe they think he's got some talent for corner?

If he was still at safety, I'd agree with you.  But CB5 seems wide open on this team.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Isn't he supposed to be a really good gunner?  Maybe they think he's got some talent for corner?

If he was still at safety, I'd agree with you.  But CB5 seems wide open on this team.

I have heard nothing to support the theory that he is the 5th best corner on the current roster.  I mean I get the value of a gunner, but can you honestly say you remember Troy Apke making standout plays on a regular basis on teams?    Because IMO that's who you need to be to get a spot on the roster based on the play on special teams.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan

2 minutes ago, terpfan said:

I’m still in denial that Apke might make the roster again. 

Must be an awesome practice player. Sometimes those guys stick around because of their practice ability and coaches always think the “potential” is there and it’ll come to fruition right around the corner.

Edited by dyst

I agree that Heinicke's thing is improvising in games and its hard to simulate that in practice.  But as I mentioned when I watched him in practices i was surprised how blatantly he stares down his receivers.  But maybe that's a practice thing that doesn't carry over to games.  As I mentioned from training camp, I can see Heinicke having his share of picks because of the combination of staring and his throws don't have much zip to them

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

I don’t necessarily mind Heinicke staring down receivers if he’s trying to get used to seeing guys run their routes and learning/fine tuning where he needs to put the ball (and where they will be, including vs different leverages/defenses).  On the other hand, it would be really nice to hear that he’s mixing in anticipation throws and going through reads, particularly in 11v11.  

I get the lack of movement in practice, but defenses will make you pay if you stare down receivers, regardless how mobile you are.

I’m not concerned about Samuel in the context of knowing the offense, but missing the chance to get in synch with Fitz is a bit concerning.  At least Terry, Dyami, Adam and Logan are getting good time in.

• Like 3

Just now, HTTRDynasty said:

The WFT DL and blitzing LBs should feast in Week 2.

I hope so.  The Giants had another aggressive off season.  Their off season last year turned around their defense.   This year they hammed up the receiver corp and added to the secondary.  But the one flaw in their plan is they did almost nothing to help the O line.  Some say young O lineman take 3 years or so to get good -- and granted they have some young O lineman.  But hopefully that doesn't work out for them 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

As a UNC fan, I’ve watched all of Dyami’s games. He doesn’t have the elite speed of TMac, but I do think they are similar in their ability to make contested catches. It’s really uncanny for guys their size to be able to come down with the ball so consistently. 

Best WR group since The Posse. 

IMO The Dyami-Terry correlation is tracking the deep ball and contested catches on that front -- both had sick YPA in college.  Also they are both really good run blockers.  

I've watched my share of Dyami too including in practice.  IMO he's not Terry's level as to contested catches with the exception of when he goes deep.  He's special at tracking the deep ball and seems to win contested catches on that front.  Dyami got a 36% score from PFF for contested catches which isn't that hot.  Yet I noticed Rivera tout his PFF contested catch score.  So I am guessing there is a sub-score for that category where he rated really highly which to me would hit the eye test.   

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4

25 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I don’t necessarily mind Heinicke staring down receivers if he’s trying to get used to seeing guys run their routes and learning/fine tuning where he needs to put the ball (and where they will be, including vs different leverages/defenses).  On the other hand, it would be really nice to hear that he’s mixing in anticipation throws and going through reads, particularly in 11v11.  

I get the lack of movement in practice, but defenses will make you pay if you stare down receivers, regardless how mobile you are.

I like Heinicke but he better make that transition or he won't have a much of a career even if it's just as a backup.  I used to coach my QB's that's okay to keep eyes on your main target as long as your facemask doesn't give you away.  Most DB's only see the facemask.  (Knowing that trick, I always coached my DB's to watch the front shoulder)  A good QB will get that front shoulder pointed to his target and — like Shakira's hips — it never lies.  Unless you're up against a QB like Haskins who doesn't work on their fundamentals.

Edited by ThomasRoane
  • Like 4

35 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I hope so.  The Giants had another aggressive off season.  Their off season last year turned around their defense.   This year they hammed up the receiver corp and added to the secondary.  But the one flaw in their plan is they did almost nothing to help the O line.  Some say young O lineman take 3 years or so to get good -- and granted they have some young O lineman.  But hopefully that doesn't work out for them 

It's baffling to me, because their QB's biggest flaw is the turnovers he generates when under pressure.  That offense is going nowhere as long as they refuse to significantly upgrade their OL.

The hate in these responses... 😂

Edited by HTTRDynasty
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It’s hard for me to forget how much Steven Sims flat out hurt us last year.  The proof would ovsly have to be overwhelming to bring him back on the 53 imo. I’m not sure I’ve heard enough outta him during training camp. We’ll see, I trust this staff to make the right choices. 

• Like 3

-- Darryl Roberts -- a five-year veteran who Washington signed this offseason -- had one of his better practices today. He had a nice battle with DeAndre Carter down the right sideline during 7-on-7 drills and forced an incompletion. Later on in team drills, he had an exceptional interception while working against Kelvin Harmon. Washington kept five cornerbacks on the roster last year to end training camp. As the team inches closer to having to make cuts, Roberts has been standing out on a more regular basis.

-- Dyami Brown and Benjamin St-Juste continue to battle on every rep against each other. Ryan Fitzpatrick threw up a 50-50 ball to Brown in 7-on-7 drills with the hope that Brown would use some of his skills as a deep threat. He did later in practice, but not on that play, as St-Juste matched him step-for-step with the ball falling to the ground. Each has had their wins and losses throughout camp, and Brown said that they help each other get better. St-Juste is a long, physical corner, which gives Brown more of a challenge.

-- There was a great example of teamwork from Linden Stephens and Danny Johnson on an intermediate throw to Carter today. Taylor Heinicke delivered a throw to Carter on the left sideline, but Stephen was providing tight coverage on the veteran wideout. That allowed Stephens to tip the ball in the air behind him, which allowed Johnson to get the one-handed pick. Like Roberts, Stephens and Johnson have had some solid plays lately. Those performances could help both of them find a way of rounding out the bottom of the roster at the end of August.

https://www.washingtonfootball.com/news/washington-football-training-camp-notebook-defense-dominant

3 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

It’s hard for me to forget how much Steven Sims flat out hurt us last year.  The proof would ovsly have to be overwhelming to bring him back on the 53 imo. I’m not sure I’ve heard enough outta him during training camp. We’ll see, I trust this staff to make the right choices. 

I am with you on that.  But watching practices, it was tough for me to ignore that Steven Sims looked really good.    He wasn't on my radar at all as a dude who had a shot making the roster but during practices he more than held his own versus the others sans Humphries and Terry.  Will see though what happens in the pre season.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

As a UNC fan, I’ve watched all of Dyami’s games. He doesn’t have the elite speed of TMac, but I do think they are similar in their ability to make contested catches. It’s really uncanny for guys their size to be able to come down with the ball so consistently. 

Best WR group since The Posse. 

Kids, you'll never, ever see a WR trio like Art Monk, Gary Clark, and Ricky Sanders again.  The NFL's first 1000 yard trio, and they did it: 1) with room to spare (Sanders had the fewest yards at 1,157); and 2) the team was 8th in rushing attempts - it was not a pass-pass-pass offense.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

We were the offseason champs of the '10's, or whatever the kids call it, so let someone else collect some of that hardware for a change.  Trade 'em Wes Martin for a 7th.

• Like 7