Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

Semi-related thoughts with camps so far:

Zach Wilson hasn't looked good. I was never as high on him as many here. For his sake I hope its rookie jitters. I should note its very early to pass any judgement with a first year QB, first year coordinator, etc.

I am very happy with the Jamin selection, but seeing Fields having a strong camp is semi frustrating for me. He's going to be a good one and we could have traded up for him for peanuts. But again, just like with Wilson its way too early. 

I MAINTAIN that Patterson is going to be a guy that gets carries for us and a semi significant number of them. Gibson will be fresher to be a playmaker that way and McKissick is going to make an impact as well.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1. Definitely will suck if Justin Fields balls out. 

2. I’m kinda down on Shadiq Charles at this point. He seems positionless and not in a good way. Feels like they can’t find any where to out him. Hope to be wrong. Wonder if this guy will last much.

3. Watching Gibson runs from last year. I know he had a good year, breaking tackles and scoring TDs but does not seem as fast as his numbers indicate.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Zach Wilson hasn't looked good. I was never as high on him as many here. For his sake I hope its rookie jitters. I should note its very early to pass any judgement with a first year QB, first year coordinator, etc.

I am very happy with the Jamin selection, but seeing Fields having a strong camp is semi frustrating for me. He's going to be a good one and we could have traded up for him for peanuts. But again, just like with Wilson its way too early. 

I MAINTAIN that Patterson is going to be a guy that gets carries for us and a semi significant number of them. Gibson will be fresher to be a playmaker that way and McKissick is going to make an impact as well.

I try not to read into rookie QB performances too much in camp. I recall Mahomes and Herbert throwing tons of interceptions in their respective training camps. Hopefully for our sanity Fields isn't a superstar or Ron's comment that "the cost was too high to trade up" is going to look really bad. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda

3 minutes ago, dyst said:

1. Definitely will suck if Justin Fields balls out. 

2. I’m kinda down on Shadiq Charles at this point. He seems positionless and not in a good way. Feels like they can’t find any where to out him. Hope to be wrong. Wonder if this guy will last much.

3. Watching Gibson runs from last year. I know he had a good year, breaking tackles and scoring TDs but does not seem as fast as his numbers indicate.

The dude literally had turf toe most of the season.. that's definitely going to deter running speed.

It's a good thing to have Charles learn every position on the line. All things considering, he has had a good camp.

Fields has had a decent camp, but I wouldn't crown him anything as of yet.. lets see what he can do against a real nfl defense.

• Like 3

Totally fine with Saahdiq being the utility man for the offensive line this year.  Gives us amazing depth to have a guy with his talent as essentially the 4th tackle and the 4th guard. Give him another year to practice at both spots with the expectation that next year he competes for a starting job at one or the other…

I'm in the camp that thinks it's a good thing that Charles is moving all over the line.

That is a very difficult thing to do and I don't believe the coaches would put that on someone who was struggling.

I'd assume they'd pick the spot he looked best and leave him there so he could develop.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I'm in the camp that thinks it's a good thing that Charles is moving all over the line.

That is a very difficult thing to do and I don't believe the coaches would put that on someone who was struggling.

I'd assume they'd pick the spot he looked best and leave him there so he could develop.

Agreed, and Ron specifically said that he was looking for players with versatility and could play multiple positions.  To me it's a good sign and means he fits the type of player that Rivera wants.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

I think it was impossible to trade for Fields.  The division wasn't going to trade with us.

• Like 2

I'm also someone who thinks Saahdiq Charles learning multiple positions is only a good thing. As already noted, Ron values versatility, and to have a player who can back-up four positions is about as versatile as it gets.

I'm really rooting for the guy after his terrible bad luck last year and hope that he sticks around.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

I think it was impossible to trade for Fields.  The division wasn't going to trade with us.

That was one of those situations where it's impossible to know what it would have cost us, too many variables. 

To get up to 8 or 9 the cost may have been 3 first round picks.

The giants were probably thinking they could pick up a first round pick and still get the guy they wanted while also ensuring fields didn't fall far enough for us to move up and get him.

It was a win win for the giants and probably why the move didn't cost the bears too much.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, redskinss said:

That was one of those situations where it's impossible to know what it would have cost us, too many variables. 

To get up to 8 or 9 the cost may have been 3 first round picks.

The giants were probably thinking they could pick up a first round pick and still get the guy they wanted while also ensuring fields didn't fall far enough for us to move up and get him.

It was a win win for the giants and probably why the move didn't cost the bears too much.

IIRC we inquired with the Panthers and Broncos to move up to 8 or 9 but the price was too high, and perhaps both those teams loved the guys they ended up taking at those spots and didn't want to lose out on them.

And obviously there is no chance the NFC East teams picking 10-12 were going to deal with us, so there you have it.

I too think Fields will ball out but its not like we straight up passed on him. We had no real legitimate chance to get him unless we offered something insane like three 1s and Rivera has already said he's not mortgaging the future for a QB.

• Thanks 1