Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to Washington Sam Cosmi, OT Texas

zCommander

1 hour ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

the fact that they are both fleet footed and powerful will be nice to have so muxh athleticism on that side of the line

We should have a lot of success running to their side. I saw them moving the LOS together the first 2 games. If they can do that against Baltimore, it'll be a good sign for our running game this year.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

Moses had a rough rookie year, its one of those spots that typically takes time.    Having said that it might not be crazy to start Lucas if the goal is winning this season.  Lucas isn't any stud but he's not bad in pass protection.  But if we are playing for the future, letting Cosmi take his lumps might not be the worst idea.  Andrew Thomas had a bad rookie season for the Giants, but played well in his debut, as did Limeux.  

On 8/26/2021 at 7:35 PM, IrepDC said:

We should have a lot of success running to their side. I saw them moving the LOS together the first 2 games. If they can do that against Baltimore, it'll be a good sign for our running game this year.

Cosmi can definitely run block.

I'm not a fan of putting up with bad play if you don't have to.  I'd put Lucas in there.  I personally never thought he shoulda lost his starting gig in the first place.  

And it's not giving up on Cosmi, but it is an acknowledgement that maybe he's just not ready just yet.  Miscalculation on their part. He's not going anywhere though, so keep coaching him up and revisit it later.

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

I thought he played better as the game went on. He's just gotta clean up the stupid penalties. No excuse for an OL to go in blocking head first. He's been really good run blocking too.

Yeah I think he got better as the game went on. He had a stupid holding call later on a really bad rep where he lowered his head and lunged a bit, but other than that and the first first couple drives, he wasn't bad. I think we need to remember that the main reason he fell to where he did was because he was so raw in technique, especially when it comes to pass pro.

I wouldn't yank him unless he was truly getting abused all game over and over, which isn't the case. It's mostly isolated bad plays that are usually technique related. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

On a completely unrelated note, my fiance is pregnant. 

Congratz

Technically, its not like Cosmi is giving up a lot of sacks or anything, but man does every rep look like a fight for him.

Just feels like he is a little WD-40 away from being a human turnstile.

He'll get better with time but he is scary to watch week in and week out. He is pure athleticism and nothing else right now.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

On a completely unrelated note, my fiance is pregnant.  And early on in her pregnancy one of the things she craved was Cosmic Brownies.  They're made by Little Debbie and they're not bad.  They're not great, either.

So whenever I see Cosmi's name, I'm just thinking Cosmic Brownie.

I picked up some cosmic brownies in Colorado… ate one and 30 minutes later I was like “these cosmic brownies ain’t ****” so I ate two more. The next 5 hours were absolute hell.

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Cosmi can definitely run block.

It was obvious early on that run blocking would be his bread and butter. When he can fire off and bully people, he is already a solid RT. 

He just has some REALLY bad habits to unlearn in pass pro. The way he leans forward, a DB could probably pull him off balance and do a swim move around him. That is a terrible habit that I do remember talked about in his draft profile. 

The thing is that he has the physical tools- strength and agility- to not have to leave his technique behind. IF a coach is able to get through to him, he will be a solid starting RT. If he can't lose the bad habits, he may end up a G or rotational swing tackle. We will see.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

On a completely unrelated note, my fiance is pregnant.  And early on in her pregnancy one of the things she craved was Cosmic Brownies.  They're made by Little Debbie and they're not bad.  They're not great, either.

So whenever I see Cosmi's name, I'm just thinking Cosmic Brownie.

Its not as unrelated as you think.  Cosmic brownies couldn't hold a line any better than Cosmi did.

tiktok-is-tripping-out-over-little-debbie-cosmic-brownies.thumb.jpg.987cec1b7f6ea6eddc4e8a4aa04adc68.jpg

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, IrepDC said:

It was obvious early on that run blocking would be his bread and butter. When he can fire off and bully people, he is already a solid RT. 

He just has some REALLY bad habits to unlearn in pass pro. The way he leans forward, a DB could probably pull him off balance and do a swim move around him. That is a terrible habit that I do remember talked about in his draft profile. 

The thing is that he has the physical tools- strength and agility- to not have to leave his technique behind. IF a coach is able to get through to him, he will be a solid starting RT. If he can't lose the bad habits, he may end up a G or rotational swing tackle. We will see.

I don't know why fans get so upset with rookies so quickly.  Cosmi was selected #51 and even if he is eventually moved to Guard that's not so bad when you consider that Scherff (#5 overall pick) had to play Guard from the onset.  The personal foul penalty was stupid but the team does need his mean attitude.

• Like 1

Cosmi will be a fine RT. Just takes time to develop. Remember how bad Morgan Moses was as a rook?

Speaking of which, I hear people pining for Moses but the guy was gonna be a benchwarmer on the lousy Jets before an injury put him in the starting lineup. He wouldn't be a panacea.

It does suck not having Trent Williams though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IrepDC said:

I expected this from Scherff and Cosmi in the run game, and they're delivering. Some positive from last night. Beautiful running lanes.

Yeah Scherff was kicking ass last night.  Chase Roullier is no slouch either, and Flowers helped spring the running TD.  He's an elephant and I think we're eventually going to be able to get reliable yardage running through those A and B gaps once all of the elements of our OL and backfield click into place.  That middle of the Giants defense can be a problem but our line beat them, and that was one of the keys to the win.

This was a get-right game for the line and they did.  Cosmi's play will be an adventure throughout the season but there are more good reps than bad ones plus some legitimate flashes.  I think he's going to work out if he can hold up physically, and he had a really good track record of playing through stuff and staying available at Texas.

If not, we have some depth that we can be comfortable with in Schweitzer and Lucas, which is hugely reassuring.  This season is going to be absolutely brutal on OLs, and some teams are already experiencing pretty big OL problems in September.  They are doomed and we still have a fighting chance at the division.

• Like 1