Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to Washington Sam Cosmi, OT Texas

zCommander

Just looking at the write ups, I can't grade Tackles watching tape other than the obvious Matador "F" style performances, he definitely seems like a guy who will pay off orders of magnitude higher than we can imagine if he hits. Seems like more of a training thing as well considering he has all the "have it or you don't qualities (mega athleticism). Hopefully the mental makeup is there. To get a legit, starting LT w/late 2nd round money would be fantastic, and just wonderful use of draft capital, and cap space. Really excited about the pick, as has been said before, OL is pretty much the most efficacious investment possible in the top 100 of drafts, probably in part just because it's easier to make a roster as an OL which probably has something to do with the hit rate, but still, I'll take it. Free Agent legit LT's cost a fortune in draft capital and in FA in the rare instances when they're available, if we've solved it here, it can help everywhere else. 

• Like 2

His athleticism makes me want to watch practices against Young and Sweat. These guys will be going at it in the one on ones. Cosmi will have an easier time on game day if Rivera works this how I believe he will. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

His athleticism makes me want to watch practices against Young and Sweat. These guys will be going at it in the one on ones. Cosmi will have an easier time on game day if Rivera works this how I believe he will. 

Cosmi certainly will be thrown into the fire when practicing against both of them :)

I think that will help Cosmi in two ways: one practicing against the best makes you better, but practicing against Young and Sweat will also help the coaches identify his weaknesses and what he needs to work on.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, mistertim said:

So basically if we leave out guys who were pounding 'roids like they were beers, Cosmi is #1

Yeah, and honestly, if Mandarich's numbers aren't purged from the record, it's likely he'll stay at the top with his 4.65 40, 30" vertical, 39 bench reps, and 10' broad jump.

11 hours ago, MusicCitySkin said:

I loved this when I first saw it and I still do, but I think it's funny when you find out who #1 is on that list:

1989-Sports-Illustrated-TONY-MANDARICH-M

I'm not at all saying this is an indictment of Cosmi, for the record.

Whenever I see people reference that, I always use it for more ammo to the "tank" argument. 

Green Bay had the 1.01 locked up in that LOADED '89 draft class (certainly the best top 5 overall in my lifetime: Troy Aikman, (Mandarich), Derrick Thomas, Deion Sanders, Barry Sanders, and then after starting the year 2-12, they wrapped with back to back wins over Minnesota and Phoenix, gifting Dallas Troy Aikman in the process (Dallas almost screwed the pooch as well, beating us in week 15, before losing, heavily, to Philly in the season finale). History is dramatically changed if they don't botch it down the stretch. Does Dallas ever build a dynasty? I doubt it. They drafted another young QB during that time period and he didn't pan out, and the early nineties was largely a graveyard for QB prospects, especially early draftees. If Green Bay doesn't screw the pooch there, Green Bay has Aikman, Dallas has ????, and Atlanta maybe keeps Favre? That was a history changing weekend. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Cosmi will be the best 2nd round pick we’ve had since Jon Jansen.

Fred Smoot, Rocky McIntosh, and Preston Smith would be the main competition.  Definitely possible if he gets close to his ceiling.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Makes sense to have him prepared to play either side. With Leno likely starting at LT, his goal should be to be the next tackle up in the event of injury to either Leno or Moses. He’ll have tough competition even for that from Lucas. Would benefit both of them to show their ability to play either side. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am stoked about how this team is being built and how fast it's being built, most notably the defensive and now offensive lines. We have added some serious beef up front on the offensive line this offseason which should help us be able to run the ball big time this year which will make Fitz an even better QB and our defense even fresher. Leno, Cosmi, Flowers...great additions that will add depth and versatility to the line. 

• Like 6

Really good breakdown by Logan in the link below. Talks about the difference between Cosmi’s 2019 and 2020 tape, with the former being first round material and the latter being of lesser quality but due to a coaching/scheme change in a Covid shortened season. He uses the LSU game which I feel like I’ve watched a hundred times in the past 2-1/2 years to highlight his footwork, physicality, and elite athleticism. 

• Like 2

On 5/5/2021 at 6:04 PM, The Consigliere said:

Whenever I see people reference that, I always use it for more ammo to the "tank" argument. 

Green Bay had the 1.01 locked up in that LOADED '89 draft class (certainly the best top 5 overall in my lifetime: Troy Aikman, (Mandarich), Derrick Thomas, Deion Sanders, Barry Sanders, and then after starting the year 2-12, they wrapped with back to back wins over Minnesota and Phoenix, gifting Dallas Troy Aikman in the process (Dallas almost screwed the pooch as well, beating us in week 15, before losing, heavily, to Philly in the season finale). History is dramatically changed if they don't botch it down the stretch. Does Dallas ever build a dynasty? I doubt it. They drafted another young QB during that time period and he didn't pan out, and the early nineties was largely a graveyard for QB prospects, especially early draftees. If Green Bay doesn't screw the pooch there, Green Bay has Aikman, Dallas has ????, and Atlanta maybe keeps Favre? That was a history changing weekend. 

WARNING: This may be accurate or an old man's wishful imagination but...

I recall John Madden, the top CBS football commentator at the time, absolutely raving about Mandarich, a college all star, while he was calling PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL games..

Unheard of.

There was this one highlight that was viral (for its time) that showed Mandarich destroying a defensive player. He was just beasting jokers like he was king kong. It was amazing to behold.

Madden said something like-- "this guy is gonna absolutely dominate in the NFL. He's the best college OT I've ever seen."

He also named him as a starter on his All Madden team-- the first college player to ever earn that honor.

The hype was otherworldly. It was almost like Madden was on his agent's payroll.

Anyone else remember this?

EDIT:

Found this vid that has the king kong type block I mentioned.

Edited by TrancesWithWolves

On 5/5/2021 at 3:43 PM, GothSkinsFan said:

5 HOF'ers in that draft class - Steve A****er was taken #20 - plus a bunch of pro-bowlers, Andre Rison being one.  Mandarich did end up being a serviceable guard for Indy.

You can't write HOF Steve At watter without adding a ter to the end of A twa t

Wow, ES, you can do better.  Seriously, grow up and fix your algorithm.

• Haha 1

On 5/21/2021 at 11:48 PM, -JB- said:

Cosmi was quick to snatch #76 once Moses got cut lol

Da hot rumor on da streets is the Skins had no intention of cutting Moses until he balked when "politely" told by Cosmi, "You gonna give up 76 one way or another big boy! Your ping pong playing days are over."

Cosmi also took Moses's locker, his flip flops, his bubble gum cards and his collection of custom made leather jock straps.

/p

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

Da hot rumor on da streets is the Skins had no intention of cutting Moses until he balked when "politely" told by Cosmi, "You gonna give up 76 one way or another big boy! Your ping pong playing days are over."

Cosmi also took Moses's locker, his flip flops, his bubble gum cards and his collection of custom made leather jock straps.

/p

Cards don't have gum anymore, ok boomer?

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, GothSkinsFan said:

Cards don't have gum anymore, ok boomer?

“Lies, lies and vicious rumors!”

Next you’ll be claiming you can’t buy gum balls for a penny out of the vending machine when you go to Mr. McDrucker’s malt shop for an egg cream after school.

Sheesh!

image.thumb.jpeg.60279f4cbd2073863d2085c97e586ad4.jpeg

• Thanks 1