Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to Washington Sam Cosmi, OT Texas

zCommander

4 hours ago, Rex Tomb said:

That draft set us back like 5 years.   Cerrato should have been fired immediately. 

To be fair, those WRs and TEs were areas of need at the time as well. I remember us having pretty much nothing in the way of offensive weapons at the time...in the receiving or running game.

The big problem there was that our FO's decision making and scouting was just awful so we picked all the wrong guys. We took "I care more about rapping than football" Devin Thomas and "I can't be bothered to stay awake when watching film" Fred Davis with Jordy Nelson and DeSean Jackson still on the board and then took "My knees are literally made of spun glass" Malcolm Kelly with Ray Rice and Jamaal Charles still on the board.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Riggo-toni said:

Proof of Russell's intelligence and decision making abilities - he divorced her just before signing his second contract.

But then he married a R&B singer with a 1 year old baby from ex-husband, a gangsta wrapper who will be a persistent threat for all of Russell’s days.  Another trademark Wilson busted-play!

So Rivera's going to run a tackle-eligible with Cosmi on every play?  You can't defend that.  The man can catch, he can rumble, and he can truck.  Cosmic Cosmi, rhymes wirh Lombardi, gonna drive a Ferrari, life of the party.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Every single offseason for the past 25 years, I make the following 2 statements :

"We have just built the best team we've had in a looong time. But this time, I really, really mean it"

I'm saying it again, this offseason.

The only difference is, a little more emphasis on the bold, italics words.

Yup.  The honeymoon period post draft is starting.  When none of the prospects are going to bust, at worst just be "serviceable".

I really like the marriage of coaching to draft board that Rivera has instituted.  A little shocking at times when owners or GM's override the coaches saying "make them fit into the scheme".  You want schematic flexibility, but forced flexibility often results in holes opening up elsewhere.

10 hours ago, petey hodge said:

But then he married a R&B singer with a 1 year old baby from ex-husband, a gangsta wrapper who will be a persistent threat for all of Russell’s days.  Another trademark Wilson busted-play!

Meh. He and his wife seem really happy. Good for them. Everyone has baggage. And a gangsta "wrapper" is a really funny thing to think about. Has to be something with dark packaging. Like a Snickers. Also, most gangsta rappers aren't gangsters. Doubt Russ is sweating this. 

Also, his ex looks like her mouth is big enough to stuff that whole tiny dog that she is holding in it. 

• Like 1

On 5/1/2021 at 5:06 AM, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Can never top this one though 

A50F9970-0D2D-4DCD-83D4-00663931510D.jpeg

She's got a jaw like a boa constrictor. It disengages so she can swallow large animals and “other things” whole without biting.

Quite a useful talent.

Edited by TrancesWithWolves
  • Haha 4

Cosmi's big knock is a lack of pass pro technique, specifically that he's not demonstrating conventional vertical setting in his film where he uses a deep bucket step and slide to mirror outside rushes.  What you tend to see instead is a strange looking set where he jumps guys for early engagement, then latches on, sinks his hips and widens his feet and just sits down on them.  It's an impressive demonstration of athleticism and power, but the thinking is you can't play that way in the NFL.  NFL edge rushers are supposed to be too powerful and crafty and fast to just jump all of the time and win.  And there is some truth to that notion.  But I was just rewatching the LSU cut ups from 2019 and Cosmi used conventional vertical setting and sliding in it.

Something changed in their blocking schemes from 2019 to 2020.  Or perhaps they tailored his blocks to the opponent, I.e., you can jump all of these scrubby ass big12 linemen with no fear but you're going to have to be patient and set and slide and mirror with K'Laven Chaisson and Rashard Lawrence.  I think it's probably some of both.  But it suggests decent vertical sets are in his repertoire and he's not as far behind technically as the draft world thought.

His blocking scheme was strange this year.  He spent a lot more time blocking the three technique than you typically see from LTs.  The Texas offense was super RPO heavy, probably because Ehlinger was such a runner.  So you don't see a ton of traditional pass protection reps in Comsi's cut ups from this year.  I think that frustrated NFL scouts, made him a projection, and ultimately dropped him to the second round.  Because he profiles as a solid first rounder.  He's an equivalent athlete to Taylor Lewan, which is to say he's one of the best athletes at the position in the league, and Lewan was an early first rounder.  That's Cosmi's ceiling IMO.  10+ AV seasons.  Plus Cosmi is an iron man who doesn't miss snaps, which is always one of the best traits to have in a lineman.

He was my favorite pick in our class by far.  I love him and think he's a great bet and that he has a chance to break the bad streak of our second round picks, and also be a big reason for breaking the worse streak of only getting one or maybe two player drafts.  I think he and Jamin will work out and probably Dyami will too.  And I'm hoping one of the day three guys will as well, especially since Forrest and Toney are also super athletes for their position.  St Juste s no slouch either.  All told, this is one of the most athletic classes we've had that I can remember.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Yup.  The honeymoon period post draft is starting.  When none of the prospects are going to bust, at worst just be "serviceable".

I really like the marriage of coaching to draft board that Rivera has instituted.  A little shocking at times when owners or GM's override the coaches saying "make them fit into the scheme".  You want schematic flexibility, but forced flexibility often results in holes opening up elsewhere.

No honeymoon period for me!

Will be Excellent: Jamin Davis, Sam Cosmi, Cheesey

Will be Solid but won't have the amount of opportunities to really see their skills for a year or two: Dyami Brown, Jaret Patterson

Very Developmental: Darrick Frost, Brandon St-Juste, Shaka Toney

Not Sure They Stick: William Bradley-King

Will Do his Job and Play Well but... Not going to set the world ablaze: John Bates

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I think that frustrated NFL scouts, made him a projection, and ultimately dropped him to the second round.  Because he profiles as a solid first rounder.  He's an equivalent athlete to Taylor Lewan, which is to say he's one of the best athletes at the position in the league, and Lewan was an early first rounder. 

So what I hear you saying is his tape this season may have made scouts think he can't pass protect  in a traditional sense -we may have gotten a steal.

• Like 2

Most mocks for months had Cosmi in the first round Then, like many early 1st round projections, draftniks in the last few weeks find others who move up like the Northwestern guy and Teven Jenkins, who went really early in the 2nd. It’s not because of some flaw or character issue that pushed Cosmi to the 2nd, just that guys like Jenkins and Eichenburg were projected as more ready to be a day-1 starter. But I think Cosmi has a higher ceiling than any one not named Sewell as most draftniks agree he has yet to reach his potential. 
I’ve read a ton of bio’s on Cosmi and they all seem to disagree with one another as to his technique but they all agree on his athleticism, his success, and his potential. So I spent time watching 4-5 full-game cut-ups and, like @stevemcqueen1said, although with greater expertise than I, Cosmi is really good.  In my view he allows defenders too close to his body which is likely due to poor hand technique which many say is due to a lack of upper body strength that also negatively impacts his run blocking. I like his footwork and his core strength looks strong and flexible - probably why he has only allowed, what, only two sacks in two seasons? Something ludicrously low. So, yeah, like every drafted player, he has technique flaws that hopefully can be corrected. How well and how soon no one knows. 
One thing we all know will help Cosmi is going up against Sweat and Young every day for years. That alone could be the best training exercise.  Another ES poster, I think @KDawg, called it baptism by fire. 

Edited by JaxJoe
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, Panninho said:

Another great article by Bullock. I’m glad he explained why Cosmi let’s rusher in too close is not because of poor hand use as I observed in my amateur and likely incorrect opinion. But because Cosmi doesn’t kick slide his back foot which keeps the defender out wider. I definitely noticed that despite Cosmi keeping the QB clean, he still allows the defender to get a little too close for my comfort. I have read from other ‘experts’ that Cosmi does have weak use of his hands. I guess everyone has their own opinion. 
i re-watched two 2020 games against Texas Tech and OK and a 2019 game against National Champs LSU. I’ve come away even more impressed by Cosmi. Like Bullock says, he doesn’t just compete but dominates most of the time. He handles stunts really really well while going up against elite defenders. What’s nice to see too is how he handles speed rushers. At first it looks like they beat him going wide and low but Cosmi’s athleticism and in my opinion awesome foot work, Cosmi swats the defender on the back which sends him to the turf. I’m not exaggerating when I say he does this every single time  in the 5 or 6 full games I’ve watched. It’s like he wants them to feel like they have the edge, then wham! Down they go. . I have not seen him get beat but once but the scrambler QB Ehrlinger is already off and running. The 2019 LSU game, he played especially well but seems to struggle with the bull rush move but is still able to keep the defender away from the QB. The 2019 Texas offense looked a bit more pro-like with regards to the amount of time the QB would stay in the pocket although still all shotgun. The 2020 Texas offense looked a lot more like our offense with regards to getting the ball out faster so my thought is Cosmi is a really good fit. 

• Like 4

Yeah that was a good article by Bullock. I can see his points about the technique issues. That occasional backpedal would get him annihilated by speed to power moves in the NFL. But all of it seems correctable with good coaching and, as Bullock noted, they weren't things he did all the time either. 

I definitely loved how he'd chop the wrist when pass rushers tried to use a long arm technique against him. In my head on each of the clips I saw a "GTFO" hovering over his head in a thought bubble as he did it.

It's also insane how much of a freak athlete he is. That RAS score is nuts.

On 5/2/2021 at 8:16 AM, KDawg said:

No honeymoon period for me!

Will be Excellent: Jamin Davis, Sam Cosmi, Cheesey

Will be Solid but won't have the amount of opportunities to really see their skills for a year or two: Dyami Brown, Jaret Patterson

Very Developmental: Darrick Frost, Brandon St-Juste, Shaka Toney

Not Sure They Stick: William Bradley-King

Will Do his Job and Play Well but... Not going to set the world ablaze: John Bates

Where does Milne land on this spectrum? 

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 1

On 5/1/2021 at 1:29 PM, GothSkinsFan said:

Cosmic Cosmi, rhymes wirh Lombardi

No but sometimes you just gotta jam those lyrics in there with a crowbar.

edit: And I’m all for converting Cosmi to tight end. Just mash everybody.

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff

15 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

No but sometimes you just gotta jam those lyrics in there with a crowbar.

edit: And I’m all for converting Cosmi to tight end. Just mash everybody.

No need to convert him to TE, just make him a tackle-eligible on every play.  The ref's announcement would be great:  "As usual, Cosmi is reporting as eligible."

• Haha 1

What I love, is that we got some really tight competition and loaded competition at LT ;

Lucas, Charles, Cosmi, Christian, and some lesser names.

I know Christian probably has the lowest chance of getting the job, but the fact that we have 4 guys who could realistically win it, has to make them all better in the TC competition.

And THEN, factor in, going against Chase Young in practice.

And THEN, factor in, Matsko being a brilliant OL Coach.

I think we're going to be "fine" at LT this season.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2021 at 8:32 AM, Rex Tomb said:

So what I hear you saying is his tape this season may have made scouts think he can't pass protect  in a traditional sense -we may have gotten a steal.

No, scouts would have watched his tape from 2019 too.  I think they were troubled by the inconsistent technique he showed too much this season.  It's enough to call into question how good his translatable, NFL-style set technique really is.  When you see that bad, backpedaling set often, it smacks of him having a bad habit and him not being totally comfortable going backwards.

If he's kick step and sliding fairly well in 2019 but in 2020 he's gotten lazy and doesn't want to set properly and move his feet, then that's not really a good sign.  He's got to gain consistency as pass-pro is a battle of attrition.  Every snap in the NFL requires you to come with a plan and be very fluid and reactive and thus your technique needs to be second nature.  It's clear Cosmi was coasting a lot in 2020.  I think their offense + him being so gifted that he could get away with it are the culprits for why he did it.

The big barrier that might prevent Cosmi from starting this year and playing well is that vertical set technique.  Vertical sets are the majority of NFL pass pro snaps.  You can't be as aggressive in the NFL as you can in college, so he needs to knuckle down and master the set.  Get proper depth with his kick step and keep his feet moving.  It's not easy, pretty much every OL is far more comfortable going forward.  That's clearly true for Cosmi.

I do think we got a steal though.  Cosmi was a first rounder IMO, and I had felt that he would be a first rounder since I first watched him early in 2019.  We could have taken him at 19 and I wouldn't have blinked.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, JaxJoe said:

The 2020 Texas offense looked a lot more like our offense with regards to getting the ball out faster so my thought is Cosmi is a really good fit. 

He is a good fit.  I think we're going to work more verticality into the passing game this year though.  It suits the style of QB better, and Fitzpatrick isn't a runner.  Cosmi is going to have to do a lot of traditional vertical set edge blocking for a standard set of drops if he plays LT this year.  And I think he can get reliable enough to do it.  Maybe not as a day 1 starter at LT, but I don't think he'll ride the bench for long.  I also think he might be able to start day 1 at LG.

He's a really good fit for our run game.  He's a classic ZBS OL.  He even has decent cut block technique for a young OL.  Run blocking is where I think he'd be a good day one contributor, and he has the athleticism to eventually do high difficulty movement blocks like we give to Scherff.

• Like 6