Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to Washington Jamin Davis LB Kentucky

PCS

I dont think Jamin looked bad tonight at all but he had one play where an OL just straight up bullied him. I know the OLs job is to block him, but he has to figure out a way to avoid it, can't be entering a battle he's guaranteed to lose. 

He's trying to play within his role but I feel pretty good about him so far. 

There was another pass over the middle that he was too shallow on IMO, if he played deeper he probably could have gotten a hand on it. 

Every other play he had his man locked up and played the pass nicely. You can see his potential, the way how he moves for a LB is incredibly rare, he is a totally different LB than we are used to here. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 2

I thought he looked more comfortable without doing anything particularly outstanding, but then perhaps he didn't need to because the defence did it's job. I'd rather he stuck to his assignments than freelance looking to make the highlight reel.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Davis will be a good one.

What we are lacking in another quality vet LB alongside him. I could see us adding one to the roster before week 1.

I would like another quality addition as well. We will just have to see who becomes available, and if they are indeed an improvement. A stellar LB would take us over the top. I very much want this.  

• Like 1

Jamin looked more decisive last night. He kept his downhill read step more often on run fits, and you could see he was trying to get into every play. The obvious weakness is him still learning to navigate NFL level traffic. He will need to learn from his lumps and develop his technique. We saw him get washed down the lines on a few plays, but I reserve the fact a few times he could have been maintaining his gap.

I also noticed a play where he read his run gap then had coverage on the RB. Once he realized his first assignment was good and it was a pass, he flew across the field to track the RB swinging. The QB initially thought he had an easy swing pass then realized Davis was flying in and went to another read. He needs to keep making flash plays like those utilizing his athleticism. There were a few times I saw someone fly across the field, something I noticed with Sweat early, and it was Davis.

Realistically, Rivera and Del Rio have the knowledge to help him develop. If he is the type of player to learn from his coaches, we will continue to see moderate growth. His weaknesses right now are teachable and/or him putting on more weight/strength. By mid season, I'd expect a light bulb to go off, if he's what we drafted him for, but he'll need to keep learning and developing his game. We need more of those flash plays to show up as he's developing, too.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, IrepDC said:

His weaknesses right now are teachable and/or him putting on more weight/strength

I liked your post and agree with most of it but I'm not sure weight/strength is a problem.

I don't think I'd want a guy we're counting on to be fast and cover tight ends and running backs to get any bigger than this.2013454512_LB_Jamin_Davis_from_Washington_Football_Team_Rookie_Minicamp_at_Inova_Sports_and_Performance_Center_Ashburn_VA_May_15_2021.thumb.png.99cf2e6ed918dded3b92c29d38e9db05.png

2 hours ago, Riggo'sRangers said:

I would like another quality addition as well. We will just have to see who becomes available, and if they are indeed an improvement. A stellar LB would take us over the top. I very much want this.  

Davis needs a TON of reps.  I mean he really needs a lot of REPS.  To me the game is entirely too fast for him right now and playing the MIKE is something he's not ready to do.  

I would put him on the weakside and let him run and chase.  To his defense he looks very comfortable in coverage....I anticipate him being really good in that department.

Run game he's not very elusive or stout.

What is Reuben Foster doing right now?

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

He got wiped out by a climbing lineman on that early screen play and I thought, "uh oh."  Luckily someone else on the Bengals OL got flagged for holding and it negated the play.  After that happened he seemed to wake up and play smarter, and it even looked like he played some snaps in our passing sub packages.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

He got wiped out by a climbing lineman on that early screen play and I thought, "uh oh."  Luckily someone else on the Bengals OL got flagged for holding and it negated the play.  After that happened he seemed to wake up and play smarter, and it even looked like he played some snaps in our passing sub packages.

Yeah, I think Davis and Bostic split the 2 linebacker packages  So something like Bostic plays nickel packages that are 2nd and less than 10 (roughly), and 3rd and 3 and less, and Davis plays the rest.  I’d probably give Davis a few of Bostic’s snaps though and let him mostly (run or pass) blitz.

On 8/21/2021 at 9:24 AM, IrepDC said:

I also noticed a play where he read his run gap then had coverage on the RB. Once he realized his first assignment was good and it was a pass, he flew across the field to track the RB swinging. The QB initially thought he had an easy swing pass then realized Davis was flying in and went to another read. He needs to keep making flash plays like those utilizing his athleticism. 

If he got 0 tackles this year and forced an extra .2-.3 seconds on some throws we would likely see a bunch more sacks this year as many times we just missed before a dump off.  

I fully expect big plays too but would be plenty happy if he just made the QBs hold the ball a little bit longer.