Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 NFL Draft Day Thread

TK
Message added by TK,

1223355385_draftpicks2021.jpeg.c39ad75f53563c858124413250ea8c49.jpeg

38 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

This was a bad draft class overall. Prob would give it a C-/D+. Not being aggressive for Fields is a fatal mistake, Jamin is a poor pick at 19, the St Juste and Bates picks made no sense with way better talent available, and they traded a future 5 for a long snapper. But what saved it from being a complete failure was getting an intriguing OT prospect and stealing Dyami Brown.

You should be very worried about our new front office. They don’t know how to identify value when there isn’t an obvious pick and they don’t believe in modern football philosophy or analytics. Plus we’re screwed at QB if we don’t finish with a top 10 pick next year.

Dude see the bigger picture. It’s obvious Ron doesn’t really want to put all his chips on a rookie QB. He is prepping the rest of the roster and I expect him to make a big move for Rodgers (if not traded this offseason), Wilson (who the Hawks almost dealt to the Bears this offseason), Watson and maybe more

8 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

They have no chance at taking that QB later. There are going to be a ton of QB needy teams picking ahead of us, PLUS 5 firsts rounders between the Giants and Eagles to block us. We have this year and then our window is shut. But that’s what Ron fanboys are cheering 

4. Atlanta Falcons (4-12)
Maybe QB, but still owe Matt Ryan big $

7. Detroit Lions (5-11)

Probably QB

9. Denver Broncos (5-11)

Probably QB

10. Philadelphia Eagles (4-11-1) (from Dallas Cowboys)

Probably QB

17. Las Vegas Raiders (8-8)

Maybe QB, probably not.

19. Washington Football Team (7-9)
Need QB

20. New York Giants (6-10)

Maybe QB

21. Indianapolis Colts (11-5)
Maybe QB

24. Pittsburgh Steelers (12-4)

Maybe QB

28. New Orleans Saints (12-4)
Maybe QB

29. Green Bay Packers (13-3)

Maybe QB, If Rodgers leaves a and Love is horrible 

Subtract two teams from that list who end up with Watson and Rodgers. 

That’s at most 8 teams. And it’s probably way less than that.

What are you talking about?

That's it! We are screwed. Our front office is archaic and behind the times. Litte green bugger man says so. There is however the rest of the world that thinks Ron and Co are doing a stand up job of changing our teams roster and culture. Is that the same dude who said Chase was a bust because it falls in line with the same illogical stance.

17 minutes ago, method man said:

Dude see the bigger picture. It’s obvious Ron doesn’t really want to put all his chips on a rookie QB. He is prepping the rest of the roster and I expect him to make a big move for Rodgers (if not traded this offseason), Wilson (who the Hawks almost dealt to the Bears this offseason), Watson and maybe more

Dude don't waste your breath.

1 hour ago, skinsfan4128 said:

Tell us how you really feel. 🙄

Very solid draft. Trading for Fields (and we certainly don't know how he'll play out at this level) was not worth what Chicago gave up to get him. 

You're entitled to your opinion,  of course, even if you're wrong. 🤣

HTTR 

I disagree, I think the bears got good value in that trade, the problem is they did it with the giants who weren't going to trade with us and we probably would have had to give up far more to get above them to get him.

1 hour ago, JoggingGod said:

This was a bad draft class overall. Prob would give it a C-/D+. Not being aggressive for Fields is a fatal mistake, Jamin is a poor pick at 19, the St Juste and Bates picks made no sense with way better talent available, and they traded a future 5 for a long snapper. But what saved it from being a complete failure was getting an intriguing OT prospect and stealing Dyami Brown.

You should be very worried about our new front office. They don’t know how to identify value when there isn’t an obvious pick and they don’t believe in modern football philosophy or analytics. Plus we’re screwed at QB if we don’t finish with a top 10 pick next year.

How can a green booger know so much? 

Remember that dude who said Ron was copying the Bills' rebuild and that the proof is that Ron's going to get a rookie QB in year 2? Yeah, well, I read an article today and it said Ron was copying the Chiefs rebuild: Build the defense, then trade up and get a QB in the first round when the right one comes along.

Me, I think Ron is copying the Ron rebuild, which is to do what Ron does and quit pretending that he needs to copy someone else's homework like a 7 year old.

We could be coming out of this draft with

-starting LB

-staring boundary WR

-New LS

-probable future LT

if those 4 alone pan out, this is an amazing draft class. If anyone else pops off it is just gravy.

We got some projects to work on, but your not looking for all-stars in the back half of the draft

9 minutes ago, jsharrin55 said:

I get some frustration over not getting the QB, there are guys that need to develop, so there is a wait and see issue there, but good grief find a happy place. 

This. 

We've got a great coach who is getting to do what he knows how to do. I'll take it.  

Hail, y'all. 

11 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Remember that dude who said Ron was copying the Bills' rebuild and that the proof is that Ron's going to get a rookie QB in year 2? Yeah, well, I read an article today and it said Ron was copying the Chiefs rebuild: Build the defense, then trade up and get a QB in the first round when the right one comes along.

Me, I think Ron is copying the Ron rebuild, which is to do what Ron does and quit pretending that he needs to copy someone else's homework like a 7 year old.

I mean he regularly chats with the Bills about their rebuild, he even said so himself. Acting like Ron has all the answers is foolish, and I'm glad he doesn't walk around acting like he has them all and goes to other teams for advice. 

Just now, Burgundy Yoda said:

I mean he regularly chats with the Bills about their rebuild, he even said so himself. Acting like Ron has all the answers is foolish, and I'm glad he doesn't walk around acting like he has them all and goes to other teams for advice. 

Talking shop with a dude is different from needing to follow someone else's recipe. The idea that Ron is following a "Chiefs model" or a "Bills model" rebuild is stupid. A defensive minded coach decided to focus on building up his defense, including using his #2 pick to shockingly pick one of the best players in the draft. Ron decided to make a run for the playoffs. Again, shocking. I can't think of another coach in the NFL to try to make the playoffs.

1 hour ago, JoggingGod said:

That you, Kyle Smith? 

2 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Talking shop with a dude is different from needing to follow someone else's recipe. The idea that Ron is following a "Chiefs model" or a "Bills model" rebuild is stupid. A defensive minded coach decided to focus on building up his defense, including using his #2 pick to shockingly pick one of the best players in the draft. Ron decided to make a run for the playoffs. Again, shocking. I can't think of another coach in the NFL to try to make the playoffs.

We don't have to label it the Bills or the Chiefs model, but he's following a similar model to what those teams are doing IMO. They built teams first and then got their QB, that's exactly what Ron is doing so if other people want to call it the "Bills model" or "Chiefs model" they aren't exactly wrong because what we're doing is basically the same thing. 

Love the Shaka Toney pick. Elite athlete. This seems like a Ravens or Steelers type pick to me. Bring in an athlete with elite measureables and groom him in an already strong unit with a strong culture. 

"At Penn State’s pro day, according to PFF, Toney performed 24 reps on the bench (66th percentile), ran a 4.51 (95th percentile), with a 1.54 10-yard-split (97th percentile) which is not a surprise when you see his tape. He also ran 6.95 3-cone (88th percentile), ran a 4.28 in the shuttle (78th percentile), jumped 39” in the vertical (95th percentile), and 128” in the broad (96th percentile)."

https://www.si.com/nfl/giants/draft/2021-nfl-draft-prospect-profile-edge-shaka-toney-penn-state#:~:text=At Penn State's pro day,when you see his tape.

Despite being 6'2" he does have 33" arms and an 82" wingspan, so he isn't a Ryan Anderson T-rex. 

He also did have some production. 20 career sacks. He had 6.5 in 13 games in 2019 and 5 sacks in 8 games in 2020. At a minimum, he should be a special teams stud and see the field some as a backup pass rusher. I wonder however if the view him as potentially having some ability to play SAM. 

As for the jab that was made that our FO doesn't understand anayltics. 

Yeah that's why PFF gave our draft an A minus.    And just about every pick is a player with through the roof RAS scores.  Though Rivera is supposedly going old school?    

The most used stats these days for QBs (QBR) showed Fitzpatrick was actually far from mediocre.  PFF ranks this roster as the third best in the NFC and 8th best in the NFL.  The PFF lead anaylist singles out two teams as for off seasons he loves the most, with the WFT being one of those teams. 

Yet somehow that averages out to this team being the laughing stock of the analytical community? :ols:

https://washingtonfootballwire.usatoday.com/2021/04/24/pff-says-washington-has-the-no-8-roster-in-the-nfl-2021-nfl-draft-chase-young/

PFF says Washington has the No. 8 roster in the NFL

Screen Shot 2021-05-01 at 10.12.51 PM.png

3 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Love the Shaka Toney pick. Elite athlete. This seems like a Ravens or Steelers type pick to me. Bring in an athlete with elite measureables and groom him in an already strong unit with a strong culture. 

"At Penn State’s pro day, according to PFF, Toney performed 24 reps on the bench (66th percentile), ran a 4.51 (95th percentile), with a 1.54 10-yard-split (97th percentile) which is not a surprise when you see his tape. He also ran 6.95 3-cone (88th percentile), ran a 4.28 in the shuttle (78th percentile), jumped 39” in the vertical (95th percentile), and 128” in the broad (96th percentile)."

https://www.si.com/nfl/giants/draft/2021-nfl-draft-prospect-profile-edge-shaka-toney-penn-state#:~:text=At Penn State's pro day,when you see his tape.

Despite being 6'2" he does have 33" arms and an 82" wingspan, so he isn't a Ryan Anderson T-rex. 

He also did have some production. 20 career sacks. He had 6.5 in 13 games in 2019 and 5 sacks in 8 games in 2020. At a minimum, he should be a special teams stud and see the field some as a backup pass rusher. I wonder however if the view him as potentially having some ability to play SAM. 

Extremely quick first step.  Gets by his man.  Tell ya, RR and Co. killed it in the draft.  Love it!

39 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

It's a little of everything thrown in together.

I think Rivera's biggest takeaway from losing out on Stafford, is that teams that have an unhappy QB, will ask them where they want to go, and then work out an amenable trade to that destination.

We weren't listed as one of the 3 destinations for Aaron Rodgers pre-draft.  He doesn't think our roster was contention worthy.  Maybe, after the 2021 season his opinion will change.  If Rodgers thinks our rebuild is legit, not smoke and mirrors, and a sign of an organizational shift...then Rodgers might tell Green Bay trade me to just Washington.  That's it.  I think Rivera realizes it doesn't matter how good your offer is, if the QB with leverage, doesn't want to go there...then the trade won't happen.

Trading up in the draft for a higher pick to land a rookie QB is all about Draft Capital.  But trading for a high profile veteran QB is all about current roster/organization.

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I really like this team and how it's being built. This was a foundation draft and we needed that. No injured long shots, most very high upside guys and some physical freaks. 

Something to note. We obviously aren't bringing Kerrigan back and I wonder if he wasn't a culture fit last year. Also, not taking any shot at an interior Dlineman makes me think Allen and Payne will be staying for a while, which I love.

you are correct

57 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

How can a green booger know so much? 

At first, about a month ago, I thought he was a little over the top with the concern about trading up for one of the top 5 QB's. I gave the little guy the benefit of the doubt until I saw that no matter how persuasive or logical anyone's counter-argument might be, he was just trolling the forum as a whiny-assed, little *****. But now I've figured it out! He's Vinny Ceratto on a ghost account! Get the heck out of here Vinny!

Love this draft. We are set up nicely to go all in for our Franchise QB next offseason. Everything points to doing exactly that. Very exciting time to be a WFT fan. I probably haven't been this excited since 2012 and really that was built around thinking we had a superstar QB. This time it's built on a team and culture.

Archived