Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

14 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

We come out the gate extending our kicker?..pffff whatever..was kinda hoping we brought in another leg..Hopkins lost a game or two for us didnt he?

Kicking in general was way down across the board last year. This might shock people but Hop is better than average.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RWJ said:

Sorry you have to wait up so late.  The 3 I hope we get and in this order:  Jayon Brown, Jonnu Smith, Curtis Samuel.   You?

I'd be happy with this. It would help make draft BPA. If that happened I would hope to get a QB in the 1st. Jones or Lance if one falls to the teens trade up a few spots.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, HoggLife said:

I'd be happy with this. It would help make draft BPA. If that happened I would hope to get a QB in the 1st. Jones or Lance if one falls to the teens trade up a few spots.

I'd really be happy with Jones.  :)  If Lance is there at #19 and they'd rather have him then that would be fine also but I think a team trades up for Lance.  

36 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

We come out the gate extending our kicker?..pffff whatever..was kinda hoping we brought in another leg..Hopkins lost a game or two for us didnt he?

Wouldn't shock me to see another kicker brought in to camp, but it would probably be through the draft or more likely an UDFA. I'm guessing Hopkins contract doesn't have a ton of guaranteed money on it (though he's generally been a good kicker outside of 2020).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jericho said:

Wouldn't shock me to see another kicker brought in to camp, but it would probably be through the draft or more likely an UDFA. I'm guessing Hopkins contract doesn't have a ton of guaranteed money on it (though he's generally been a good kicker outside of 2020).

Yeah, I'm not sure Hopkins should have survived 2020 as our kicker. He had a pretty rough year.

5 minutes ago, Jericho said:

I agree there will be competition especially since it is being report by Standig it is a 1 year deal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, carex said:

Disagree.  1 WR, 3 LB, 1TE.  I am happy with our guys as potential number 3 TEs and think we have to much potential from the young guys at WRs

Who are you counting as "our guys" at TE? Taking a look at who is under contract (besides Logan Thomas), all I see are Temarrick Hemingway and Thaddeus Moss. Okay, I guess we can contact Dylan Cantrell and Tyrone Swoopes, as both signed future/reserve deals. I'm not sure if Marcus Baugh is technically under contract or not (he was promoted from the practice squad in December, so it would depend on what he signed then. Even if he's not "under contract", he'd be a ERFA so can easily be brought back). But are we counting on one of those?

5 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I agree there will be competition especially since it is being report by Standig it is a 1 year deal.

I forgot that Kaare Vedvik is already under contract. So maybe its supped to be him? Baltimore did once trade him for a 5th round pick to Minnesota :D

1 hour ago, GhostofAlvinWalton said:

This team needs to find:

2 WR

2 LB

2 TE

That isn’t all coming from just the draft or just FA...but you sure as hell don’t want to be going into the draft having to find all these things. 

could be signing some mid/lower tier guys as well to fill out the depth chart going into the draft.

WR Cole from Jax could be a guy they take a cheap chance on along with a bigger name at WR. They almost have to get a legit TE in FA. And obviously need at least one legit LB before the draft.

Pretty much co-sign on this. I would think TE would be one of the top priorities in free agency, then likely bring in some draft pick to supplement the position group. 

I suspect WR will play out similarly, though rookie WRs often transition a bit easier than TEs, so could lean more into the draft on this group.

LBs just need better players all around.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, carex said:

Disagree.  1 WR, 3 LB, 1TE.  I am happy with our guys as potential number 3 TEs and think we have to much potential from the young guys at WRs

Would your 1 WR be a slot guy or boundary receiver?

It’s an interesting situation - we have Cam, Wright, AGG and Harmon to battle it out opposite McLaurin, but really only Steve Sims for the slot role.    So, in that regard, one could argue a slot receiver is our bigger weakness.

Of course, while one of those guys could maybe be ok as #2s, they won’t draw coverage from McLaurin, and I sure don’t trust any of them (let alone two of them) being able to pick up the slack if Terry misses time.  

Add in the fact the draft is pretty deep with slot receivers, I’m thinking an outside receiver in FA makes more sense, and if we for some reason don’t land a slot receiver via the draft, we add a FA after (or at least a few UDFAs to compete).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bakedtater1 said:

Not sure why people are down on the resigning of Hopkins? Solid move. Not much out there in FA. He's been pretty solid for us last year aside. Plus, I'm sure theyll bring in a couple of young legs this camp to compete.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, carex said:

and think we have to much potential from the young guys at WRs

Maybe they pan out, maybe they don’t—but having guys like Harmon, AGG, and Steven Sims active on game day should not be plan A, B, or C, ideally. Cam Sims seems like a good depth guy but that’s about it. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, dswerdlw said:

On Hopkins deal, Adam Caplan tweeted: "Once it's completed, look for it to be 1-year deal worth around $2.5m with $1.9m guaranteed."

Thanks.

A one year deal in interesting, hardly a long term vote of confidence. I think he gets some offseason competition.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Who are you counting as "our guys" at TE? Taking a look at who is under contract (besides Logan Thomas), all I see are Temarrick Hemingway and Thaddeus Moss. Okay, I guess we can contact Dylan Cantrell and Tyrone Swoopes, as both signed future/reserve deals. I'm not sure if Marcus Baugh is technically under contract or not (he was promoted from the practice squad in December, so it would depend on what he signed then. Even if he's not "under contract", he'd be a ERFA so can easily be brought back). But are we counting on one of those?

I forgot that Kaare Vedvik is already under contract. So maybe its supped to be him? Baltimore did once trade him for a 5th round pick to Minnesota :D

Baugh is signed, and him, Hemmingway and Moss are okay to me, as third stringers, plus a PS guy who can be called up.  The next JP Holtz basically

Thomas has proven a very good acquisition at TE. But we need an extra dimension of quality. Fundamental part of our offensive strategy.

Thing is with FA, simple formula, get better. Spend money wisely, but don’t be afraid to spend big. Just make sure it’s targeted at getting significantly better. 

We have a great chance to attack FA. I do worry our QB situation may hinder our ability to add weapons. Time will tell.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Burgold said:

Not entirely, but I don't think Scherrf is a great guard. I think his hype exceeds his play. His injuries are too many. He's had down years where he was quite mediocre for pretty much the entire season.

Have no clue of your NFL/football background, but how did/have you come to these conclusions about Scherff? 

For me, I’m just a fan and probably have isolated to watching Scherff during games on 3% of snaps (I generally follow the ball and don’t watch any “film”). I’m left to relying on the masses for information, coaches, ratings/rankings, and accolades. 

Just curious and always up for more information and perspective. 

22 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

If they are guaranteeing Hopkins 1.8 million he will be our kicker this year. Kind of surprised by that in all honesty.  

Probably correct, but that is low to average money at best. He’ll get competition I reckon.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Dusty was pretty solid in the last 6 or 7 games. I think he missed like once or twice at most.

Didn't he struggle with an injury for some of the season?  Maybe the team knows he can be better and it wasn't a long term issue.

Edited by jsharrin55

2 hours ago, RWJ said:

I'd really be happy with Jones.  :)  If Lance is there at #19 and they'd rather have him then that would be fine also but I think a team trades up for Lance.  

Ya I think one of the 2 might fall to 13-15 range and which ever does it wouldn't cost a fortune to move up 4-6 spots. I agree most likely it's Jones who would be available but it wouldn't be a complete shock if it was Lance.