Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

6 hours ago, method man said:

Washington's coaches and William Jackson III are still feeling each other out | RSN (nbcsports.com)

To do his thing, he needs to jam at the line of scrimmage and they are not really letting him do that. I also remember something about him having to change his footwork here

It always frustrates me when a team acquires a good player and then immediately asks them to play a different role or style than the one they were successful with. Obviously it might work, but frequently it turns out you're getting half the player you expected because they're doing something they're not comfortable with or are simply not good at. Which begs the question, if you want someone to play a certain way, why not go get a guy who's good at it, instead of someone who's great at something else? Usually the answer is that the recruiters / FA are going after "names" and expecting the coaches to use them, but some coaches insist on players fitting their scheme instead of the other way round. The only answer is for the coach to stop trying to hammer a square peg into a round hole and make adjustments, which is what they are trying to do with Collins by moving him more into the LB role he doesn't want play, and what they need to do with Jackson. Even if it doesn't work out, it can hardly be worse than it is right now.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, SAli457180 said:

Something that's basically been rinse and repeat when it comes to this franchise and free agency over the last 20+ years

And some people think 

Snyder doesnt have any say when it comes to the roster...when things look the same year in year out and we are scratching our heads as to why something isnt working out just know that the owner of this team treats Free Agency like its a kid going to the toy store. Make no mistake about it kyle smith leaving was all snyder its hard on his pea sized football brain when he sees credit going elsewhere, if there are people that still honestly think Rivera has full control than i dunno what to tell you....the William Jackson signing has snyder written all over it, in fact it was probably hand picked by him 

Edited by CjSuAvE22
  • Thumb up 1

12 hours ago, method man said:

On Jackson, I don't want to make excuses for him but they are having him rework the techniques that made him a top 15 corner into what they want...it's part him and part coaching fail

Jackson had a career high six AV last season.  That's not particularly good.  Without looking through the AV of every corner in the league for last season, I can still assure you that there is no way six is top 15.  It's probably not even close.  And if I were to judge him based on all four of his season totals combined, there is no way he's cracking the top half of all cornerbacks during that span.

We need to be clear eyed about our talent level and what our acquisitions are worth.  Jackson was never a top 15 CB and I don't think he was even close to that.  Kendall Fuller was better than him last season and is better than him now, and he's nothing special.  We severely overrated Jackson and overpaid him.

10 hours ago, method man said:

Washington's coaches and William Jackson III are still feeling each other out | RSN (nbcsports.com)

To do his thing, he needs to jam at the line of scrimmage and they are not really letting him do that. I also remember something about him having to change his footwork here

I feel like it's a little late for that  This is what the offseason is for. Talking and coaching through all that before the games actually start.  Before he even signs really.  

20 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Jackson had a career high six AV last season.  That's not particularly good.  Without looking through the AV of every corner in the league for last season, I can still assure you that there is no way six is top 15.  It's probably not even close.  And if I were to judge him based on all four of his season totals combined, there is no way he's cracking the top half of all cornerbacks during that span.

We need to be clear eyed about our talent level and what our acquisitions are worth.  Jackson was never a top 15 CB and I don't think he was even close to that.  Kendall Fuller was better than him last season and is better than him now, and he's nothing special.  We severely overrated Jackson and overpaid him.

I think you are right.  But during the summer at the time of the signing, there was mixed data on Jackson and I think the consensus was that he was upgrade to Darby. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, method man said:

This is something I wonder about not just with Jackson but with the team philosophy in general. It is not with any single player or coach but its been going on since post Williams. Maybe with Williams. So that makes me wonder if Snyder is getting involved with this level of preparation, saying he wants to see man but no press coverage. Or are we influencing it at the hiring process asking them about blitz tendencies, or blitz philosophies or man / zone percentages? I don't know because its not a Ron thing or a JDR thing or even a Joe Barry or whoever else has been our DC its all those guys minus one or two. Its gotta be more than just hiring the wrong guys. 

4 hours ago, philibusters said:

I think you are right.  But during the summer at the time of the signing, there was mixed data on Jackson and I think the consensus was that he was upgrade to Darby. 

People forget Darby was straight ass in Philly before signing with us. And for as well as he played he gave up a lot of big plays last year. He's also not even starting in Denver right now(granted their CB depth is outstanding but still).

Jackson was considered to be the best man to man CB in free agency. He had his struggles playing zone but was supposed to be a big upgrade if you let him play tight press man. I'm not sure what the deal is here because he's struggled in that area as well(and has been awful in zone).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

Josh Lambo cut by the Jags. He’s struggled recently but was one of the most accurate over a 3 year period 2017-2019’. Just a thought. 

I'd get that guy on the practice squad asap. It seems like he suffered major injuries in 2020 and that may have affected his game. If he can get it together, he would be a major upgrade over Hopkins

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

People forget Darby was straight ass in Philly before signing with us. And for as well as he played he gave up a lot of big plays last year.

Darby is on the injured reserve. When he returns he will be the starter. Going off memory, I thought Darby did great not giving up big plays overall last year. He could be had with some underneath stuff, but has great straight line speed that helps with long stuff. Thought he had a better year than Fuller. 

Edited by wit33

4 hours ago, dyst said:

Look at the names in the title. Only Leno and Carter are positives. What a bust of a free agency.

You can add Ricky Seals Jones to that list as well. What Ron & co have proven is they are good at finding undervalued talent on bargain deals. They need to stick with that strategy and use the money to fit in a QB and resign their own young guys

8 hours ago, wit33 said:

Darby is on the injured reserve. When he returns he will be the starter. Going off memory, I thought Darby did great not giving up big plays overall last year. He could be had with some underneath stuff, but has great straight line speed that helps with long stuff. Thought he had a better year than Fuller. 

Darby only got beat by big plays.

1 hour ago, PartyPosse said:

Darby only got beat by big plays.

The issue with Darby more than anything has been injuries. The one season with us has been one of his few healthy seasons. Every other season he seems to miss a number of games and this impairs his play

3 hours ago, wit33 said:

I disagree, thought he was the best dude in the secondary— not really even close for me

I think he was the best CB, but he did get found out by the best QBs we played. IIRC Brady targetted his coverage in the playoff game in particular, and I think that's one of the reasons why he was allowed to leave, the coaches genuinely thought all they needed was a slightly better CB and the defense would be solid. Then they could pick a raw LB with high upside and slowly bring him up to speed, playing behind a top-5 DL and surrounded by veterans who all knew what they were doing.

Of course, things didn't work out that way at all.