Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

All things considered, Steven Nelson is probably the best available CB on the market, but I'm thinking he's looking for an opportunity to start. He also may command more $ than we should pay for a quality back-up. I wouldn't mind signing one of the aging vets to a one year prove you still have it deal. I'm thinking that we're probably looking at guys like Mackenzie Alexander and Cameron Sutton.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Long Time Fan said:

You didn't mention Samuel Cosmi - who tested off the charts during his recent pro day and who's athleticism may have moved him up to one of the top 4 LTs in the draft.  There are a number of LT prospects who should prove to be a significant upgrade over Lucas in both pass protection and run blocking.  The chance to lock that position down with improved play for 4 to 5 years on a rookie contract is very attractive and would really help our franchise going forward.  They may go a different route at 19 but given how difficult it is to find a solid LT and how expensive it is to upgrade the position in free agency (both things you acknowledged) LT is a pretty safe guess.  

It wasn't meant to be an exhaustive list, but you're kind of proving my point. Most people didn't even project Samuel Cosmi to be a first round pick until recently. Now there's a lot of hype and maybe he sneaks into the first round. But at 19, you really don't want to pick fringe first rounders. Of course its possible the team is way higher on Cosmi than the rest of the league and maybe they view him as a mid-first round talent. Which, if so, you could justify the pick. None of us have access to the team's board. But this far out, it looks like LT would be a tough ask at 19 unless Darrisaw is there.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, dswerdlw said:

All things considered, Steven Nelson is probably the best available CB on the market, but I'm thinking he's looking for an opportunity to start. He also may command more $ than we should pay for a quality back-up. I wouldn't mind signing one of the aging vets to a one year prove you still have it deal. I'm thinking that we're probably looking at guys like Mackenzie Alexander and Cameron Sutton.

I'm not sure the team is looking to do this (I get the impression it is not as Moreau clearly would have been pure depth), but given the fact the team is in nickel so much, it could sign a "bigger" name at CB and effectively bring in a starter. Not sure who the intended starting nickel package would be. In part because I'm not sure what the plan is with safety.

Edited by Jericho

I like that we want to add another CB. The good thing here is that there are still a lot of pretty decent options out there.

We could either add another outside corner and move Fuller to the slot. Richard Sherman, Casey Heyward and AJ Bouye are still out there.

We could also add a slot corner and keep Fuller outside. Brian Poole and Steven Nelson would be great options for that. I'd also take a look at Nickell Robey-Coleman. He was pretty bad with the Eagles last year. But he had a couple of strong years before that and the Eagles were just a mess last season.

The division is already pretty strong at WR (Cowboys with 3 really good WRs, Giants also pretty decent) and you have to expect that at least the Eagles will add someone at WR and or TE in one of the first two rounds (potentially Pitts, Waddle, Smith or Chase). So it's for sure money well spent if we further upgrade the CB room.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Voidable years on the Samuel deal, nice. Cap hit 4mil this year. 

Also very happy we are after a CB. Go get Nelson. Although he’s more starter than depth. Maybe too rich a contract. Hayward, Poole, AJ Bouye. Get one in.

I think our CB signing will be sort of like in the mid-10s when we picked up guys like Tracy Porter, Justin Rogers and Greg Toler late in free agency

3 minutes ago, Jericho said:

It wasn't meant to be an exhaustive list, but you're kind of proving my point. Most people didn't even project Samuel Cosmi to be a first round pick until recently. Now there's a lot of hype and maybe he sneaks into the first round. But at 19, you really don't want to pick fringe first rounders. Of course its possible the team is way higher on Cosmi than the rest of the league and maybe they view him as a mid-first round talent. Which, if so, you could justify the pick. None of us have access to the team's board. But this far out, it looks like LT would be a tough ask at 19 unless Darrisaw is there.

Yes but pundit draft boards change all the time - especially once measurables come in from the combine (or this year pro days).  So Cosmi being projected higher after showing he has elite athleticism is no surprise.  But honestly almost everyone projected to be there at 19 are "fringe first rounders."  Even guys I would love to add to the team like Zaven Collins and Najee Harris you can find plenty of mocks that have them going in the second.  So I wouldn't get too caught in the "fringe first rounder" label.  I do get your larger point that there is a tier of LT after Sewell and Slater and if the LTs in that second tier are gone we shouldn't be so locked in on the position that we pass on superior talent elsewhere.  What I don't necessarily agree with is that Darrisaw is alone in that second tier - I think Cosmi is likely there too.  I also think projecting a LT to us from that second tier is pretty safe for the reasons we both mentioned earlier and that's why so many beat writers etc are doing it.   

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Long Time Fan said:

Yes but pundit draft boards change all the time - especially once measurables come in from the combine (or this year pro days).  So Cosmi being projected higher after showing he has elite athleticism is no surprise.  But honestly almost everyone projected to be there at 19 are "fringe first rounders."  Even guys I would love to add to the team like Zaven Collins and Najee Harris you can find plenty of mocks that have them going in the second.  So I wouldn't get too caught in the "fringe first rounder" label.  I do get your larger point that there is a tier of LT after Sewell and Slater and if the LTs in that second tier are gone we shouldn't be so locked in on the position that we pass on superior talent elsewhere.  What I don't necessarily agree with is that Darrisaw is alone in that second tier - I think Cosmi is likely there too.  I also think projecting a LT to us from that second tier is pretty safe for the reasons we both mentioned earlier and that's why so many beat writers etc are doing it.   

Agree on all points. Well said. 

2 minutes ago, zskins said:

I would think CB > TE right now. 

Nah, at least we have Moreland (and I'm not a huge Moreland fan).  We have no TEs on the roster besides Logan Thomas.  Its arguably our weakest position.

• Like 2

As we can see from the Humphries signing, teams are going to be cutting good players that have bad contracts. The Titans saved a lot of money by cutting Humphries, but he’s a good player. I expect we will continue to take advantage of the situation, especially after the draft, when teams were able to draft cheaper replacements. I expect we target CB and TE with some of the unexpected cuts, and get some good one year or short term deals.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Bacon said:

We still have no warm bodies at LB either. I like the potential to get a blue chip starter there that can carry the whole group. 

I agree that we absolutely need more talent at LB, but I don't think it's completely fair to say that we have nothing at all there. Holcomb looked really good at times last year and graded out pretty well, though his run defense could use some improvement. I'm still taking a bit of a wait and see approach with him but he's certainly trending up.

PFF last season:

Overall: 72

Run Defense: 65.2

Coverage: 73.0

I think we could definitely use a top notch downhill thumper LB ala Parsons or Collins.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Long Time Fan said:

I would disagree on two points.

One, is that Darrisaw and Cosmi are on the same tier. To me there's Sewell (in his own tier) and then there's Darrisaw (and Slater if you think he can play LT), and then there's another tier below that where Cosmi is. There's a reason Darrisaw is often mocked between 12-19 and Cosmi is mocked maybe getting into the first round at 27-32 or lower. I know it's imperfect, but the draft value chart helps show this. Pick 12 is worth 1200 points. Washington's at 19 is worth 875. that's a 325 point gap. 325 points behind Washington pick is Atlanta's pick at 35 in the second round. A guy projected around pick 15 (Darrisaw) should be significantly more valuable than a guy projected around pick 30 (Cosmi). Personally opinions can vary and certainly the consensus isn't always right. But you can look at the projections and see the drop off. And even if it's only 10-12 picks, that can be a huge talent drop in Round 1.

Two, I'd disagree that almost everyone projected to be there at 19 are "fringe first rounders". There are 32 pick in the first round. Now there's probably thousands of mocks online from a variety of sources. I'm sure you can find some that list certain guys in the second round. But if a guy is mocked in 90-95% of drafts as a first rounder, then that's not fringe to me. If he's mocked in 50% or less, that's fringe. There should be at least a half dozen guys available at 19 that are mocked in the first round in 95% of drafts. If you're picking fringe guys, you either: (1) really, really love this guy more than most anyone else; or (2) are reaching for need.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Succint summary as to how the game has changed

So true.

No longer can a defense just show up and dominate or the popular saying, “defense travels”. Not anymore, more responsibility is on the coordinators to add wrinkles, adjust, and adapt during and game to game. The same level of scrutiny an offensive coordinator gets for play calling the defensive coordinator should get. 

The one huge variable that still does “travel” and have a major predictable impact is stopping the run. If you can at least dominate the opposing offense in the run game it provides a much better chance against the pass game with today’s rules. Even with that the Rams and Steelers got rolled up on in the playoffs lol

16 hours ago, GothSkinsFan said:

Sacrifice something of yours, not a living creature.  Or maybe get a life-sized Mara doll and shoot crossbow bolts into it.

Sounds like you may have given this some thought in the past...

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Wyndorf25 said:

I guess the point I'm making is that I'm coming to the rational realization that this team should be very good this year.

That's why Scherff got tagged.  Whether he signs a LTD is immaterial to him being here THIS year.  Riverboat Ron is NOT getting stuck in a canal* and he's going to make sure he's got the quality beef up front to clear the way.  If they can't work out a LTD with Scherff, and he's only here on a ltd** deal, he'll be replaced next year.  But that'll be after RR has piloted WFT through the canal to the Playoffs Sea (and hopefully docking at Port Super Bowl).

*Reference to that ginormous cargo ship blocking the Suez Canal (without which, to ship between Asia and Europe would mean going around the entire continent of Africa).

**  You like that?!?  (It's a pun on Long Term Deal - ltd = limited)

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, GothSkinsFan said:

That's why Scherff got tagged.  Whether he signs a LTD is immaterial to him being here THIS year.  Riverboat Ron is NOT getting stuck in a canal* and he's going to make sure he's got the quality beef up front to clear the way.  If they can't work out a LTD with Scherff, and he's only here on a ltd** deal, he'll be replaced next year.  But that'll be after RR has piloted WFT through the canal to the Playoffs Sea (and hopefully docking at Port Super Bowl).

*Reference to that ginormous cargo ship blocking the Suez Canal (without which, to ship between Asia and Europe would mean going around the entire continent of Africa).

**  You like that?!?  (It's a pun on Long Term Deal - ltd = limited)

Im thinking If we continue to address the majority of the glaring needs this year we could presumably go into next years draft looking to upgrade interior OL (presuming we draft OT this year, and Fitz sticks around). The pressure to sign Sherff would be minimal. Sherff on a tag this year essentially buys us a year.

Edited by Chris 44

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I totally agree with Keim 1000% on this, SIP.  As far as I know the 2022 draft will lack in quality at the QB position so this is the year to draft one.  It really has to be this year.  Don't you think?  Who do you like the best fitting their scheme under Turner's O (i.e., Fantastic 4, Mac Jones, Newman, Trask, Mond etc.)?

3 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

Im thinking If we continue to address the majority of the glaring needs this year we could presumably go into next years draft looking to upgrade interior OL (presuming we draft OT this year, and Fitz sticks around). The pressure to sign Sherff would be minimal. Sherff on a tag this year essentially buys us a year.

I really don't think it happens.  Scherff is guaranteed 18 mill this year more than any FA signed and will walk next year hoping to be the highest paid LOT in the NFL.  They need a LOT this year in Rd. 1 or Rd 2 and no later than those rounds.  

16 minutes ago, RWJ said:

As far as I know the 2022 draft will lack in quality at the QB position so this is the year to draft one.  It really has to be this year.  Don't you think?

Nah. Because, as we all know, WFT legend Aaron Rodgers will be sporting the maroon and yellow next season. We're going from The Beard, to the 'Stache.

• Haha 1

Just now, ExoDus84 said:

Nah. Because, as we all know, WFT legend Aaron Rodgers will be sporting the maroon and yellow next season. We're going from The Beard, to the 'Stache.

Really?  We need youth and longevity at QB.  Fitz here for this year and next and allow our franchise QB selected this year sit and learn like the "Stache" did with Favre!  :)