Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

48 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Cam Sims went unused for 2 years under different coaches. You talk about Sims and Wright having more yards in 3 years, but it took Cam Sims one season to make more yards than Sims and Wright made this year combined.

You're putting him down because he isn't a practice warrior like Taylor Jacobs or Marko Mitchell. I want receivers who actually show up on game day, which Cam did when he was finally given the opportunity.

Again, I have not once advocated that Cam is an automatic #2. But writing him off as hardly deserving a roster spot after pushing Wright and Steven? Puhleeze.

There is a big diff between being unused for 2 years and being hurt. Cam Sims has had numerous bouts with injury and was put on IR and had been unavailable as a result. That has nothing to do with coaches. You can chock it up to bad luck, I see it more as poor durability (myriad of issues in college) but its not b/c the coaches did not use him right.

Everybody gets injured to some degree, but as a big guy, you would hope his durability would be an attribute, not a deterrent. S.Sims has gotten more yards and he has missed games as well. Wright missed some games and he is still on pace for more by year 3. It happens, you gotta produce in the NFL, and both either have produced or are on pace to produce more than C. Sims has even dealing with injuries.

I made no note of practice warrior. In fact I emphasized seeing more on the field product. 500 yds in 3 years is nothing. what good is 166yds/yr At least S.Sims has given us 500+yds in 2 seasons. Its not a tremendous uptick, but it is clearly better.

Wright and S.Sims have both given more production in a shorter period of time, despite being in a more competitive position of our squad due to how it is structured. I already said I would prefer to upgrade them as well, but if all things were positional-ly equal, and I did not have the greater need at outside WR, I would easily, happily, quickly and without remorse choose either of those players over C. Sims. S.Sims is clearly better, and Wright is on pace to prove so, but small sample size.

The fact they are both younger is just icing on the cake.

Any WR we bring in to replace any of them would be a big boon

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

There is a big diff between being unused for 2 years and being hurt. Cam Sims has had numerous bouts with injury and was put on IR and had been unavailable as a result. That has nothing to do with coaches. You can chock it up to bad luck, I see it more as poor durability (myriad of issues in college) but its not b/c the coaches did not use him right.

Everybody gets injured to some degree, but as a big guy, you would hope his durability would be an attribute, not a deterrent. S.Sims has gotten more yards and he has missed games as well. Wright missed some games and he is still on pace for more by year 3. It happens, you gotta produce in the NFL, and both either have produced or are on pace to produce more than C. Sims has even dealing with injuries.

I made no note of practice warrior. In fact I emphasized seeing more on the field product. 500 yds in 3 years is nothing. what good is 166yds/yr At least S.Sims has given us 500+yds in 2 seasons. Its not a tremendous uptick, but it is clearly better.

Wright and S.Sims have both given more production in a shorter period of time, despite being in a more competitive position of our squad due to how it is structured. I already said I would prefer to upgrade them as well, but if all things were positional-ly equal, and I did not have the greater need at outside WR, I would easily, happily, quickly and without remorse choose either of those players over C. Sims. S.Sims is clearly better, and Wright is on pace to prove so, but small sample size.

The fact they are both younger is just icing on the cake.

Any WR we bring in to replace any of them would be a big boon

Cam Sims is just a JAG.  He had critical drops against Carolina and Tampa.  He's got zero burst.  We need a massive upgrade over him.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

The Steven Montez/Taysom Hill thing is just stupid. He won’t make the roster. Taysom hill is a 94th percentile SPARQ athlete at the QB position with very functional agility. Montez is a lumbering 6’5” who ran almost a 4.7 with a poor (for a skill player, fine for a QB) 3-cone.

It was a long time ago (he was an over-aged BYU QB) but Taysom Hill had a season in college where he ran for almost 1400 rushing yards and 10 TDs. Montez is barely an NFL athlete at the position he already stinks at lol, in no universe (even if Taysom Hill weren’t an aberration himself, historically) is he going to be a flex player or become “our Taysom Hill”. It’s extremely dumb on every level. 

Nevermind the fact that Taysom Hill is perhaps the only time in memory that such a flex player has “worked” at QB in the NFL, and it’s mainly because Sean Payton is damn stubborn and has the power, cache, and ingenuity to make it work. He was like a pet project and is already over 30. It’s crazy he’s had the time in the limelight that he has, even if it’s cool. The vast, vast majority of these attempts at making a QB a tweener with “special packages” just for them fails miserably or never actually emerges from the smokescreen-filled depths of preseason. There have been 50 Denard Robinsons. One single Taysom Hill kinda worked out at the NFL level (for 2-3 season so far), and it took a potential HOF-level HC and play caller as well as a great offense already helmed by a HOF passer secure in his position. This is not the kind of thing where any team can just take an athlete (nevermind one as mediocre as Montez) at the position and duplicate it—that’s not just wasted snaps but wasted practice and meeting time, hell this post was a waste of typing time lol, it’s not happening and if it did for some reason it wouldn’t work. Not without a way better athlete and a LOT of commitment from the coaching staff and a hell of a lot of luck, really. 

image.gif.266b68c82ec66b4bcde585ca813b7abb.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 20

45 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

Since this is the FREE AGENCY thread I'd say that McLaurin & Samuels are clearly #1 &#2.  The #3 & 4 guys are obviously upgradeable.  Those guys you both are debating, are still young and should get a chance to compete for that 4th and 5th roster spots, but they clearly want to upgrade the #3 slot guy.  I think that puts Cam in the 4th receiver category.  Though he did put up some yards in 2020, it was less about his increased skill level and more about opportunities opposite McLaurin.  He played well in most appearances, but dropped too many balls and quit on his routes to be a #1 or #2 WR option.  That's very clear on review of his season and was magnified on his first attempted catch in the playoff game.  There he caused a drop by quitting early on his route and dropped a pass that he had both hands on.  That's why he can't be a #1 or #2 and is really a 4th or 5th WR talent on most decent NFL WR depth charts.

I actually think you are getting steve sims and cam sims mixed up.  

51 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

C. Sims may be the 4/5/6/7 best WR on this team, but due to our roster construction, he is currently our starting outside WR oppo Terry.

Samuel, S. Sims, Wright are all slot guys. post injury-Harmon and AGG are our only other real options for outside WRs.

We badly need an upgrade on the outside either in FA or the draft. I keep seeing the draft is swimming w/ slot guys, so I would prefer to pick up an outside guy in FA.

Bringing in a new slot guy would raise our overall talent and would help, but it feels like letting one of your wings hang on via duct tape so you can add steel to reinforce your rudder. A new outside weapon would be much more impactful. Adding another slot, just to so we can move Samuel around is a bit of access of riches. Especially when you already have S.Sims and Wright, and have dabbled with injecting Gibby and McK at the same spot as well.

Or we can address both over time and all is good

10 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if we seen a development on the Scherff contract situation soon.

I don't see scherff getting an LTD this offseason, and that might be a good thing.  We gave scherff all the leverage in the world.  If he does sign an LTD, it will be for more than a RG can make worth it.

I think we all need to brace ourselves for him playing out the year on the tag, and the only way we re sign him is if we are the highest bidder next offseason, which may not be a good move for us.  

I think the scherff situation will go down in the fail column for RR.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

The Steven Montez/Taysom Hill thing is just stupid. He won’t make the roster. Taysom hill is a 94th percentile SPARQ athlete at the QB position with very functional agility. Montez is a lumbering 6’5” who ran almost a 4.7 with a poor (for a skill player, fine for a QB) 3-cone.

It was a long time ago (he was an over-aged BYU QB) but Taysom Hill had a season in college where he ran for almost 1400 rushing yards and 10 TDs. Montez is barely an NFL athlete at the position he already stinks at lol, in no universe (even if Taysom Hill weren’t an aberration himself, historically) is he going to be a flex player or become “our Taysom Hill”. It’s extremely dumb on every level. 

Nevermind the fact that Taysom Hill is perhaps the only time in memory that such a flex player has “worked” at QB in the NFL, and it’s mainly because Sean Payton is damn stubborn and has the power, cache, and ingenuity to make it work. He was like a pet project and is already over 30. It’s crazy he’s had the time in the limelight that he has, even if it’s cool. The vast, vast majority of these attempts at making a QB a tweener with “special packages” just for them fails miserably or never actually emerges from the smokescreen-filled depths of preseason. There have been 50 Denard Robinsons. One single Taysom Hill kinda worked out at the NFL level (for 2-3 season so far), and it took a potential HOF-level HC and play caller as well as a great offense already helmed by a HOF passer secure in his position. This is not the kind of thing where any team can just take an athlete (nevermind one as mediocre as Montez) at the position and duplicate it—that’s not just wasted snaps but wasted practice and meeting time, hell this post was a waste of typing time lol, it’s not happening and if it did for some reason it wouldn’t work. Not without a way better athlete and a LOT of commitment from the coaching staff and a hell of a lot of luck, really. 

Hallelujah Holyshit GIFs | Tenor

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

I think the scherff situation will go down in the fail column for RR.

Agreed. There have been so many positives but...not here. They had a full year to come to a resolution and the last minute scurrying were not fruitful.

I assume Humphries will be a one or two year low end deal. Another competent slot plus punt returner isn't a bad thing. Now they go after a outside guy later in the draft if BPA fits

Edited by DWinzit
  • Like 2