Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

I understand some people want to upgrade the LB core, but in reality, I think this defense is the same as it was last season talent wise.  That means its still a top 5 defense with the potential to only get better with another full year under JDR.  Any defensive spots are a luxury because the defensive front covers the poor LB and FS play behind them.  On offense, the OLine was much improved, and with Gibson the running game was as well.  That means the real positions we needed to improve on were QB and WR.  I feel that while we didnt go crazy addressing them, we brought in some good players that should vastly improved a woeful offense.  Whether Turner can take advantage of that is anyones guess, but I feel like it at least closed all of the major holes on offense.  I dont view TE1 as a major hole due to Logan Thomas play.  I think to be great we need another TE, but its not like when you have none at a position of 1. 

All of that to say I think that outside of adding a good LBer this free agency has filled all of our big holes on the roster.  That has set up the team to just enter the draft looking for BPA and filling roster holes.  There isnt a player/position we "need' in the draft in order to make the playoffs.  Instead, every pick is then an opportunity to improve the team greatly for years to come.  I think they will target, ILB, OT, FS, and TE early, but they have the freedom to grab a great WR, QB, or whoever should they become available.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Jericho said:

While I understand the need for a LT and the difficulty in finding one outside the very early rounds of the draft, I also find it hard to believe the team would be zeroed on one specific position in Round 1. With the obvious exception of Penei Sewell (who will go early), is there any good value that might be available at 19? Darrisaw is the one name that could be there. But if he's not? Then it seems like you're looking at guys that many don't think would fit at LT (Alijah Vera-Tucker and Rashawn Slater if either are still there) or reaching for someone a little lower (say a Teven Jenkins?). Neither of which seem like great uses of the pick. All of this is obviously contingent on the team evaluating these players the same as the rest of the NFL. I suspect the team's board is wildly different than the "consensus". But still, it seems impossible to zero in on one position that's fairly weak.

So then, what to do with LT? Outside of Eric Fisher (who has health issues and I'm not sure he really even wants to leave KC), free agency is pretty bare. This seems like one of th ose positions that maybe the board breaks your way and you fill that position or maybe it does not and you're left looking elsewhere. There's bound to be some big name that falls on draft day. Hell, both Jonathan Allen and Montez Sweat were victims of this (as was Derwin James). Seems better to potentially capitalize on whoever that ends up being.

You didn't mention Samuel Cosmi - who tested off the charts during his recent pro day and who's athleticism may have moved him up to one of the top 4 LTs in the draft.  There are a number of LT prospects who should prove to be a significant upgrade over Lucas in both pass protection and run blocking.  The chance to lock that position down with improved play for 4 to 5 years on a rookie contract is very attractive and would really help our franchise going forward.  They may go a different route at 19 but given how difficult it is to find a solid LT and how expensive it is to upgrade the position in free agency (both things you acknowledged) LT is a pretty safe guess.  

• Like 2

Humphries can play. But he will most likely end up a spot player for us. The guy has been hurt everywhere he has played. This was nothing more than a security blanket signing for Fitz. And I am fine with that. I still expect us to add a WR in the draft. Along with a LB and QB. Fitz and Humphries are placeholders for the future of this franchise. Decent placeholders. But placeholders non the less. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Doesn’t look like he had any real injury issues during his first four seasons then a high ankle sprain his first season in Tenn followed by a concussion from a dirty hit the following year.

He has played 2 sixteen game seasons in 6 years. And his last 2 years he was lost to injury. Again. I am not bashing the signing. The guy can play. But expecting him to play the entire season is a losing proposition. 

Edited by clskinsfan
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

He has played 2 sixteen game seasons in 6 years. And his last 2 years he was lost to injury. Again. I am not bashing the signing. The guy can play. But expecting him to play the entire season is a losing proposition. 

He only didn’t play 16 games his first season because he was on the practice squad. He missed one game due to injury in his first four years.

Terry McLaurin has never played a 16 game season.

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

What I love about Humphries is that he isn’t going to be the guy. I feel like he’s like a Garcon type player but now he’s WR3 instead of one of our top options. Love the depth and grit but glad we had some better options.

Edited by TerrificTim
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

I think those are fair assessments. Excellent connection to Fitz, should be a contributor, more than likely nicked up along the way, solid signing nevertheless, just what we need as a compliment to the receiver group on a short term basis.

20 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I think those are fair assessments. Excellent connection to Fitz, should be a contributor, more than likely nicked up along the way, solid signing nevertheless, just what we need as a compliment to the receiver group on a short term basis.

Yep, Trey Quinn was supposed to be that guy.  Hopefully, Humphries will be. 

2 hours ago, TerrificTim said:

What I love about Humphries is that he isn’t going to be the guy. I feel like he’s like a Garxon type player but now he’s WR3 instead of one of our top options. Love the depth and grit but glad we had some better options.

yeah this is a depth move.  If healthy, we have a good reliable option as our 4th/5th WR.  However we need to draft someone in the draft in the mid/low rounds to push him during camp.

1 hour ago, sjinhan said:

yeah this is a depth move.  If healthy, we have a good reliable option as our 4th/5th WR.  However we need to draft someone in the draft in the mid/low rounds to push him during camp.

I'd say it's not a depth move when he becomes the 3rd WR on the depth chart.  You'd be assuming Sims Jr. beats him out, which is competition signing on a 1-yr prove it deal.  Sims Jr. is signed for 1 yr. $855k.  No terms on Humphries deal but vet minimum would be more than Sims Jr. and he didn't likely sign for that.  Safer to say Adam beats Sims Jr. and Sims Jr. is the DEPTH piece.  We won't know until after the competition. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Peregrine said:

I understand some people want to upgrade the LB core, but in reality, I think this defense is the same as it was last season talent wise.  That means its still a top 5 defense with the potential to only get better with another full year under JDR.  .......

I disagree and almost STRONGLY disagree.  We should be better on D, since it is year two in the system.  But our D was thrashed a couple times last year.  We were marginally top 5.  We were no where near the Ravens' 2000 D.  But add a Ray Lewis or Keukle type like Z. Collins (in the first) and we might just have a historically good D.  This team is missing a QB. We are missing the defensive QB, which is the MLB.

Personally, I think we have to pick Collins if he is there in the first.  LT can then be the pick in round two.  We can go offense again with both round three picks.  If we do this, as someone else already said, our Super Bowl window will be open.

Edited by ILikeBilly
  • Like 6

22 minutes ago, ILikeBilly said:

I disagree and almost STRONGLY disagree.  We should be better on D, since it is year two in the system.  But our D was thrashed a couple times last year.  We were marginally top 5.  We were no where near the Ravens' 2000 D.  But add a Ray Lewis or Keukle type like Z. Collins (in the first) and we might just have a historically good D.  This team is missing a QB. We are missing the defensive QB, which is the MLB.

Personally, I think we have to pick Collins if he is there in the first.  LT can then be the pick in round two.  We can go offense again with both round three picks.  If we do this, as someone else already said, our Super Bowl window will be open.

This isn't a draft thread. 

That being said I like the OL as serviceable, so adding a MLB to the points you made are sound logic.  There's still pieces to the puzzle for certain.  Who knows what RR & Co. have planned, but what is clear is that there is a Plan A, B, and overall view on building a Championship roster.  Also, I don't think anyone gets the sense they're rushing it or squandering it.  Very level headed choices are being executed.  Very different atmosphere in a short amount of time. 
Here's what Ron Rivera looks like to the organization.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

The best thing about about the Humphries signing?

Now you know, from here through the draft...ITS ALL ABOUT FAT BOYS!

11-5

If this team is truly good enough to carve out 11 wins vs. their schedule this year then they will probably be regarded as SB contenders because it will mean they have already played the best teams in the league and more often than not, took them down...

2 hours ago, BC-Redskins said:

hopefully we can sign Boston or Hooker on cheap deal and continue adding competition 

then roll on draft day !!!!

I wouldn't be surprised if they bring in another DB before the draft but I get the feeling it won't be either of these guys. It also looks as though they want to draft a DB with one of the day 2 selections...the only issue they don't have enough picks for all the people they want to grab on day two.

Like Cam, they had a chance on Boston last year and passed. They know him and may feel he is too inconsistent.

Hookers injury and cap hit they think they would take must too much to bring him in. I am not certain there is a certainty he will be ready to tart week one. I must say he interests me more than most other FA's

Interesting the Cowboys signed SS Keanu Neal last week and said they were moving him to LB. They then brought in Hooker and Kazee for a look earlier this week. Hooker tweeted out like he was going to be signed and they then signed Kazee. Both are coming off Achilles. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Wyndorf25 said:

If this team is truly good enough to carve out 11 wins vs. their schedule this year then they will probably be regarded as SB contenders because it will mean they have already played the best teams in the league and more often than not, took them down...

Home games are difficult, so I'd agree with you.  They'll be very good if they manage to win at home, which will have a bunch of fans in it and hopefully cheering for the home team.  Times are changing, so it's possible.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

Home games are difficult, so I'd agree with you.  They'll be very good if they manage to win at home, which will have a bunch of fans in it and hopefully cheering for the home team.  Times are changing, so it's possible.

giphy.gif

I guess the point I'm making is that I'm coming to the rational realization that this team should be very good this year. If they can prove it against the best teams and still have an impressive record, then the perception of them as a battle-tested group in addition to having a talented roster led by a great coaching staff...then yeah, they would have to be considered SB material.

I'm not predicting they go, just that they would be firmly in the conversation should they exit this gauntlet of a schedule with an 11 win season. 

Hey, it could happen.

• Like 1

Voidable years on the Samuel deal, nice. Cap hit 4mil this year. 

Also very happy we are after a CB. Go get Nelson. Although he’s more starter than depth. Maybe too rich a contract. Hayward, Poole, AJ Bouye. Get one in.

Edited by UK SKINS FAN 74
  • Like 3