Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

36 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I dont care about turnovers with our defense. It's why I liked Winston. I'd rather a guy that can sling it down field at will.

We would kill it right now with Brett Favre 

Can someone catch me up please I see we signed Jackson from Cincinnati is that a good signing?

1 minute ago, Skin'emAlive said:

He was injured. When he was healthy he looked decent. Specifically when our starting qb wouldn’t even look further than 5 yards 

He did absolutey nothing last season and he was given opportunities. You can’t make that excuse because guys like Cam Sims and Isaiah Wright produced.

If AGG wants to make the team, he should campaign to be a TE 

Just now, Skin'emAlive said:

He was injured. When he was healthy he looked decent. Specifically when our starting qb wouldn’t even look further than 5 yards 

The game he started late in the season he had zero catches. I don't think he was active for the rest of year. Cooley gave him an F. Hopefully a lesson learned for our scouting department on taking a flyer on a local kid from a crap school. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

But Cam Sims has looked pretty good. I've always liked him, and he really had his best game against TB. I know it's not a huge amount of money, but we did bring him back on RFA which I THINK was slated to be just over $2m. So I would think between AGG, Harmon and Sims we are positioned to have one of them as our WR3 (on the outside). I also think we could/should draft an outside WR too to push them. But yeah, I think we should save our resources for other positions in the remaining cycle.

Cam Sims is a good WR4. He is good at finding open areas in zone but struggles against man coverage. We need a legit WR2 - doesn’t need to be a star but needs to be a consistent threat

3 minutes ago, lavar1156 said:

The game he started late in the season he had zero catches. I don't think he was active for the rest of year. Cooley gave him an F. Hopefully a lesson learned for our scouting department on taking a flyer on a local kid from a crap school. 

a number of solid interior linemen went right after him. I wonder if the decision to extend Roullier is different if they had taken Biadasz instead of Ismail

Just now, method man said:

Cam Sims is a good WR4. He is good at finding open areas in zone but struggles against man coverage. We need a legit WR2 - doesn’t need to be a star but needs to be a consistent threat

We have a legit WR2 that could be shifted over to slot in the event that we draft a stud in the draft to primarily play outside. Agreed that Sims is a good WR4.

Early 2021 NFL free agency winners and losers

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-early-2021-nfl-free-agency-winners-losers

WINNER: WASHINGTON FOOTBALL TEAM

Washington made three big signings over the first three days of free agency, and it’s hard not to get on board with each of them. 

Ryan Fitzpatrick came in as the highest-ranked quarterback in PFF’s free agent rankings after Dak Prescott re-signed with the Dallas Cowboys. It’s worth noting that Fitzpatrick was also the most fun option of the bunch due to his truck-stick scrambles and gunslinging mentality.

Fitzpatrick may be a journeyman, but he has also been a legitimately good quarterback over the past three seasons with Tampa Bay and Miami. Since 2018, his 83.2 PFF grade ranks 15th among 32 qualifying quarterbacks across the league. That mark is in a similar ballpark to Prescott’s, who recently earned $126 million guaranteed, over that three-year stretch (83.9 overall). Fitzpatrick is going to give Terry McLaurin and company a chance to make plays downfield, which is more than can be said for Washington’s collection of 2020 passers who combined for a 59.3 passing grade on the season — 28th in the NFL. 

And McLaurin now has even more “company.” The Football Team signed wideout Curtis Samuel, who has a handful of connections to the franchise. Samuel was college teammates with McLaurin at Ohio State and played under head coach Ron Rivera and executive vice president of football/player personnel Marty Hurney while he was general manager in Carolina.

Samuel struggled to find his footing early on with the Panthers, but he’s coming off a career year in 2020 in Joe Brady’s offense. He was utilized more in the short portions of the field — cutting his average depth of target from 14.8 yards in 2019 to 7.5 yards last season — and received more backfield work than he had at any point in his NFL career. He’s a young, versatile piece that should give Scott Turner more freedom offensively and take some pressure off McLaurin as the lone threat at the position.

Lastly, Washington addressed another need by adding the top free agent cornerback on PFF’s board this week. William Jackson III’s past performances indicate he is capable of being a true No. 1 who can have success in man coverage against talented wide receivers. He has earned coverage grades of at least 72.0 in three of his four seasons of action, headlined by a 90.4 grade back in 2017. Jackson projects as an upgrade over free agent loss Ronald Darby. The Football Team’s defense could potentially be even stronger than it was a year ago — and that unit was already one of the NFL’s best. 

Even though Washington secured a playoff spot in 2020, it didn’t feel like there was much of a ceiling for this team heading into 2021. These three moves have laid the foundation for that to change. At the very least, Washington should again be competitive in the NFC East.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, lavar1156 said:

He was out most of the season and Alex was an awful qb. Inspirational, but awful. He gets a pass. 

10 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

We would kill it right now with Brett Favre 

Can someone catch me up please I see we signed Jackson from Cincinnati is that a good signing?

No, Jackson is not a good signing.  It is a GREAT signing!  Number 1 FA corner by many.  An upgrade over the departed Darby. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We really don't need another weapon. We need to maximize the talent and speed of McLaurin and Samuel, not dilute it. Those two should be touching the ball very often along with Gibson and Thomas. I think the group we have right now is perfect for a modern NFL offense and if we go into 3 WR sets I'm comfortable with our swiss army knife McKissic in the slot. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

We really don't need another weapon. We need to maximize the talent and speed of McLaurin and Samuel, not dilute it. 

I see us drafting a tackle and a WR fairly high with a TE late day 2/day 3. That should be fine. 

I'm more concerned that we have...*checks notes*...no one at linebacker. 

Edited by Bacon
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, max21 said:

I honestly forget about Landon Collins being on our defense, I wonder what will happen with him. If we sign a true free safety would we play more dime with potentially 3 safeties on the field? Collins could play the hybrid role keep him around the LOS. But honestly I have no idea what I’m talking about 

I too don't know what 'm talking about and I had this same thought. For the most part we only have 2 LBers on the field so It makes sense to me. 

I'm probably being overly optimistic assuming Collins will get back to full strength after his injury, but Fuller/Jackson/Collins/Curl sounds like a pretty decent secondary to me. I would like to see us make another move at safety for depth. 

1 minute ago, Bacon said:

I'm probably being overly optimistic assuming Collins will get back to full strength after his injury, but Fuller/Jackson/Collins/Curl sounds like a pretty decent secondary to me. I would like to see us make another move at safety for depth. 

We should just play Collins at LB then release him after next season when there's no cap hit. 

1 minute ago, lavar1156 said:

We should just play Collins at LB then release him after next season when there's no cap hit. 

I do trust his tackling more than his coverage abilities at this point.

Considering the high price we paid, I just want to see him make a significant contribution somewhere. Right now that's looking like another horrible Snyder/Brucifer special, but there's still time.