Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

27 minutes ago, Ashburn Dave said:

I see a lot of tragic talk regarding Fitz.  Do we really think we'll see all that tragic here with our defense and coaches?  Hasn't he played mostly on crappy teams that were constantly coming from behind?

56 minutes ago, PigskinRedskin said:

So, here's a breakdown of his teams:

• 2005 - Rams - Started 3 games - 30th ranked Defense 
  • 2006 - Rams - Started 3 games - 23rd ranked Defense
  • 2007 - Cincinnati - Started 3 games - 27th ranked Defense
  • 2008 - Cincinnati - Started 12 games - 11th ranked Defense
  • 2009 - Buffalo - Started 8 games - 19th ranked Defense
  • 2010 - Buffalo - Started 13 games - 24th ranked Defense
  • 2011 - Buffalo - Started 16 games - 26th ranked Defense
  • 2012 - Buffalo - Started 16 games - 22nd ranked Defense
  • 2013 - Tennessee - Started 9 games - 14th ranked Defense
  • 2014 - Houston - Started 12 games - 16th ranked Defense
  • 2015 - New York Jets - Started 16 games - 4th ranked Defense
  • 2016 - New York Jets - Started 11 games - 11th ranked Defense
  • 2017 - Tampa Bay - Started 3 games - 32nd ranked Defense
  • 2018 - Tampa Bay - Started 7 games - 27th ranked Defense
  • 2019 - Miami - Started 13 games - 30th ranked Defense
  • 2020 - Miami - Started 7 games - 20th ranked Defense

So 1 Top 10 defense, and played all season and in 2015, went 10-6 but of course, AFC East with Patriots is almost a guarantee not to win division.

Football is a weak link sport, which means that your worst player or players on the field can be exploited by the opponent and bring the rest of the team down (unlike basketball, which is a strong link sport, meaning a great player or two or three can carry an entire team).  Fitzpatrick has had the misfortune of playing on a lot of bad teams, which has no doubt had a negative impact on his stats.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jsharrin55 said:

But I know that Miami 5-10 was not *meant* to be a great team.  That was Tank for Tua year, right?  I feel like he took a team that was supposed to win 0 games and got to 5.  So I'm probably going to get a bit too excited...haha. 

I mean, I wouldn’t go too crazy, lol, but that’s me. He was Ok, that year. Easy to root for. For me, it was his numbers and how he performed as opposed to his record that year.  20 Td’s 13 Ints isn’t great, its pretty below average by NFL standards, but given his team’s, mainly youth, he got credit for it deservedly.

Now if he plays like he did 6 years ago in NY, then we’d all be partying like it’s 1999. So somewhere in the middle I guess is where you’ll find me. 

14 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I mean anyone with a functional pair of eyes should know this is true. 

lol, I've probably ripped him as much if not more than anyone.   I tried to buy in to Darnold but I just couldn't the more I watched him. 

But the dude for whatever reason is beloved by mock draft types through this day guys like Kiper, McShay, Jeremiah, etc.  And yeah Sheehan has some mega man crush on him as a player. 

16 minutes ago, ananoman said:

Football is a weak link sport, which means that your worst player or players on the field can be exploited by the opponent and bring the rest of the team down (unlike basketball, which is a strong link sport, meaning a great player or two or three can carry an entire team).  Fitzpatrick has had the misfortune of playing on a lot of bad teams, which has no doubt had a negative impact on his stats.

That coupled with he's gotten better as he has gotten older.  His best two seasons QBR wise was his last two years.  So Fitzpatrick from 2014 or whatever isn't relevant.   Ive seen many of his games in Miami.  If he plays like that, I think some people here will be pleasantly surprised. 

https://www.miamidolphins.com/news/ryan-fitzpatrick-getting-better-with-age

Ryan Fitzpatrick: Getting Better With Age

Mar 04, 2020 at 01:24 PM

Travis Wingfield

Writer

•  
  •  
  •  

Old age in real life and in football are two entirely different landmarks. Once an NFL player enters his 30's, the proverbial clock -- fairly or not -- begins.

There are exceptions all throughout the league, and one position seems impervious to the dreaded expiration date – the quarterback.

"I think in the last four or five years, I've really gotten better every year and I think as funny as it sounds, I think my best football is still ahead of me," Ryan Fitzpatrick said at the conclusion of his first minicamp with the Dolphins last April.

Football is more than the box score, but data agrees with Fitzpatrick; he's trending upwards.

• Like 2

nd speaking with a number of sources both on the team side and the player side, it's expected that in the coming days a flurry of one-year deals will get signed. Especially later in the week.

The basic message from multiple agents is that players know that while the 2021 salary cap is down, the 2022 cap should pop, probably more than 20 percent, and plenty of players will bet on themselves this year rather than lock into a long-term deal before the cash starts rolling next year. 

For informed fans, that isn't news. 

Specifically for Washington, however, there is no hurry to make moves in free agency. 

Even after reportedly signing Ryan Fitzpatrick at quarterback, the football team expects to be active going forward in free agency, but remember that any money not spent this year will roll over to 2022. That could give the team an advantage when the cap jumps up and players like Daron Payne and Terry McLaurin could be looking for contract extensions. 

That does not mean, however, Washington is not still looking for help at wide receiver. 

The wideout market has moved slow, and speaking with sources across the league, there are a few factors. Even when stud players like Allen Robinson and Chris Godwin got hit with the franchise tag before free agency opened, the 2021 free agent crop of WRs remained strong. 

Combine a deep free agent class with an impressive rookie crop of receivers, and the supply begins to outpace demand. Now add on top the decreased salary cap and the subsequent dearth of teams looking to spend, and a depressed market emerges. 

Going one step further, three prominent free agent receivers in Kenny Golladay, Curtis Samuel and Will Fuller are represented by the same agency. Making that more complicated, ESPN's Adam Schefter reported earlier this month that Golladay turned down a lucrative contract extension from Detroit last season that could have paid around $18 million-per-year. 

Now a free agent, it looks like Golladay might not get to the same annual salary that was reportedly offered last fall. That could create a chain of events where movement in the receiver market is waiting on Golladay to find a home, and in turn, set a market price. 

For Washington, that might mean opportunity. 

Samuel is a target for the Burgundy and Gold, certainly, and he's a young player with a bright future. 

Fitzpatrick will give his wideouts opportunities down the field, and Samuel knows both the Washington offensive system and fellow wide receiver Terry McLaurin. Rivera drafted Samuel in Carolina, he played in Scott Turner's offensive system, and McLaurin was a college teammate at Ohio State.

Anything can still happen, but the overwhelming message coming from Ashburn is that the team is confident in their direction and patient approach thus far.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gibbsisgod2006 said:

His best year he had 851 receiving  yards along with 3 TDs, 2019 he had 627 receiving yards.  He's a JAG... 

and rushing stats? Samuel is a weapon everywhere.

would I prefer golladay, of course, but with $30m already spent, we’re not in the position to make that kind of splash. 

I heard the jets were fielding calls about Cj Moseley, I hope we’re one of the teams calling. 

3 minutes ago, CTskin said:

I heard the jets were fielding calls about Cj Moseley, I hope we’re one of the teams calling. 

Yes please!

And if the WR's are going to pout for a day....go out and sign a Dback!

Edited by DWinzit

I've really warmed up to the idea of Samuel the last couple days.  He could be a glue guy that Turner could weaponize in so many ways.

Pretty interesting that Golladay, Samuel, amd Fuller are repped by the same firm.  I can definitely see them bottlenecking the process to get Golladay paid first...but that's only going to work for another day or two.