Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

7 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I like Jacksons man coverage. But we replaced a 10 million corner who doesnt get interceptions with a 14 million corner who doesnt either.

We don’t need a guy who is a ball hawk, we just need a guy we can leave 1 on 1 who doesn’t fall for every double pump and every double move.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, petey hodge said:

How did Jackson III do against our Tony McClaurin this season?

He handled Terry quite well and had a few PBU’s on him. I was impressed. Dude can get handsy but he is every bit the kind of cover corner we’ve been looking for. He’s super sticky in coverage and does best when mirroring his guy step for step. He’s not a cushion and bail kind of guy. Much better than Darby when it comes to making a play on the ball and he’s good in run support as well. He’s our CB1 for the next 3 years. 

Edited by Fresh8686
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Onstead of an average reinforcement, the Football Team agreed to terms with the best cornerback in the 2021 free agency class, and one of the five best man coverage cornerbacks in the NFL. Former Bengals defender William Jackson will become the Football Team’s newest cornerback when the league year turns over at 4:00 p.m. ET, and he could be the one guy to take Washington’s defense from No. 2 to No. 1. Per Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, Washington nabs Jackson on a three-year, $42 million deal with $26 million guaranteed. That is CB2 money for a CB1, which is where the A+ grade comes in.

Last season in a Bengals defense that helped nobody from a schematic standpoint, Jackson allowed 36 receptions on 69 targets for 537 yards, 169 yards after the catch, three touchdowns, one interception, and an opponent passer rating of 86.4. But when Jackson is utilized in ways that best show his skill set, he’s a force to be reckoned with.

Last May, I ranked Jackson as the NFL’s ninth-best cornerback in man coverage, and here’s what I wrote about him back then:

Not much went right for Cincinnati’s bottom-feeding defense in 2019, but Jackson was a rare standout in a positive sense. Though he struggled with injuries in the second half of the season, An outstanding boundary cornerback who was negatively affected at times by some perplexing safety “help” looks, Jackson seemed more comfortable when he could just erase his target on his own. Last season, Jackson did allow one touchdown in man coverage (which the Bengals used on just 33% of their snaps), but aside from that, he gave up just 10 catches on 28 targets for 159 yards, and a Positive Play Rate of 32.1% — good for fourth-best in the league.

Well, at least Jackson was stalwart in this regard in 2020, though Cincinnati’s coverage was still a whole lot of sad trombone, as it has generally been under defensive coordinator Lou Anarumo. Unless you believe that going from 29th in pass defense DVOA in 2019 to 27th in 2020 is a Great Big Thing, which I do not.

In any event, Jackson was targeted 40 times in 227 man coverage snaps in 2020, allowing just 15 receptions for 187 yards, and a Positive Play Rate of 32.5%, which ranked fourth among cornerbacks with at least 25 targets in man coverage. Consistent? Admirably so at a position where you can quickly find yourself on the dark side pretty quickly. Jackson is also a pretty decent zone cornerback — he allowed 16 completions on 27 targets for 292 yards, two touchdowns, one interception, and a Positive Play Rate of  44.4%.

Jackson isn’t really a “bail-and-trail” boundary cornerback in the traditional sense — he’s more the guy you want pressed up against his receiver and following the route all the way though. Much better in man and match than spot-drop zone. If you play him off-coverage, you can wind up with things like this 50-yard completion from Deshaun Watson to Brandin Cooks against the Texans in Week 16.

William-jackson-brandin-cooks.gif

(No, I’m not quite sure what the safety to Jackson’s side was doing here, either).

Here, from the same game, is how you want Jackson to operate: Matching receiver Chad Hansen step-for-step from the start of the route, and nearly coming up with the pick as he breaks off to the ball.

It’s not easy to find great man cornerbacks, and even more difficult to find man cornerbacks who have Jackson’s consistency from year to year. He will be highly paid for that reason alone, and don’t be surprised if the Football Team — who played man coverage on just 24% of their defensive snaps last season, but allowed an EPA per play of -0.26, third-best in the league — doesn’t avail itself of more Cover-0, Cover-1, and 2-Man in the 2021 season and beyond.

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2021/03/16/cornerback-william-jackson-iii-washington-football-team-2021-nfl-free-agency/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

We don’t need a guy who is a ball hawk, we just need a guy we can leave 1 on 1 who doesn’t fall for every double pump and every double move.

Yeah. I am fine with the signing. Was just pointing out he really isnt a playmaker. He will give us the ability to play more cover 0 and 1 though. So more pressure on the QB. And fumbles are just as good as INT's.

19 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

So much for RR undervaluing corners...

Or unwillingness to spend some $$.

I'm liking the lack of predictability here

And not a single leak out of this Front Office. What a refreshing thing to not have to worry about.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

18 on Scherff

10 on Fitz

14 AAV on Jackson, don’t know 21 cap hit.

What’s the other money?

What am I missing? I have Jackson cap hit around 10 this year. Also add in the draft pool allocation which I believe is around 7 million.  We really have around 13 million left. Putting money into next year for this year would be stupid to me. Don’t lose the advantage you have on the rest of the league for one year. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, OtisDriftwood25 said:

What am I missing? I have Jackson cap hit around 10 this year. Also add in the draft pool allocation which I believe is around 7 million.  We really have around 13 million left. Putting money into next year for this year would be stupid to me. Don’t lose the advantage you have on the rest of the league for one year. 

draft pool allocation isn’t what you think. Factoring in for the Top 51 calculations we only need $2m apparently for our rookie class. 

plenty of $$ to mess around with. Also a few cuts I see could save some $$ depending on other signings. Barber, Apke, Bostic,etc

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, OtisDriftwood25 said:

Got it.  You layered in the rookie allocation which is smart.  I just looked at your math and thought I was missing a transaction.  There’s also some savings on the roster that can be had if necessary.  More work to do, but we should be in a good position for the draft. Would love to get things worked out with BS75 to ease his cap hit, but not very confident in that.

They’re getting good at this “circumventing the NFL rules in a cheeky way” thing, I wonder if it’s still Rivera’s daughter running the social media. I’m guessing not, since we’ve filled out the FO since then and it’s so active now.

1 minute ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

They’re getting good at this “circumventing the NFL rules in a cheeky way” thing, I wonder if it’s still Rivera’s daughter running the social media. I’m guessing not, since we’ve filled out the FO since then and it’s so active now.

Thinking that Samuel may be next.  A hunch. :)

• Like 2