Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

9 minutes ago, Burgold said:

We're definitely not as flush as we were. It depends on how the contracts are specifically laid out. I think I read someone post that we have about 18m left and that includes keeping 7 free to sign rookies.

Be nice if they could hammer out that LTD with Scherrf. Mind you, I think we need to carry cash over to next year. We're going to have some rookie contracts expiring and we need to think about re-signing some of our own.

Feel like we need to start getting a little creative, and locking up Scherff long term is a must

Looking at us in the most basic terms the defence was good last season and the offence was pretty putrid, all we’ve done is add Fitz to that fold which is a start but weapons are an absolute must moving forward in FA

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dexter said:

I posted earlier last week that we should be targeting John Ross.  Giants got him for a really cheap price tag....he would have been good with Fitzpatrick.

But one sneaky signing that could be the ultimate boom or bust is Antonio Brown.  He could be a total nut, but we now have a QB who can spread it around.

I would take Brown over Samuels but with Browns past their is no way the WFT team signs him. 

3 minutes ago, Dexter said:

I posted earlier last week that we should be targeting John Ross.  Giants got him for a really cheap price tag....he would have been good with Fitzpatrick.

But one sneaky signing that could be the ultimate boom or bust is Antonio Brown.  He could be a total nut, but we now have a QB who can spread it around.

I didn't realize they got him. Was it an affordable deal?

2 hours ago, RWJ said:

Well, maybe one more big name FA and I am all in for Samuel.  

I think I’ve change focus and would like Harris in at FS as my next target. 

I think the Jax deal for Marvin Jones was excellent and would have been ideal for us leading up to paying Terry Mc. But don’t get me wrong, I’ll happily take a WR. I’m sticking to that potential cost being a problem through.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

They are talking about this now on 980.  Bruce's parting gift for the franchise is blowing the Trent trade where we could have gotten more trade value out of spite.  PFF if I recall rated Trent the best LT in the league last year, he hasn't lost a step.  I get them wanting to move on but we should have gotten more for him than a third and change. 

Brown is still out there. 

Trent should have yielded one first at a minimum if handled by anything more than a halfwit. 

I have not seen Brown or Wrights name as drawing interest from anyone. I am not sure there's anyone else that really fits what they want if they don't. They may look at Wilson, Alexander, Hewitt types speedier for coverage but not as good against the run. Otherwise its slower hitters like Perryman that aren't really 3 down guys

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Those top 3 tackles just moved right up the draft board.

Left tackles were already though getting big money and dudes like Trent rarely hit FA.   So I don't think it changes anything draft wise.  I think it was a given.  Tackles tend to go early in the draft.  I've been saying since the college season started we are likely taking a tackle in the first -- no big revelation on my end there since it doesn't take much to figure that out.  You got a rare loaded draft for tackles.  Last year it was top heavy for tackles.  This year isn't as top heavy but you got arguably 5-6 tackles with very similar ability.    You might be able to get away with taking one in the 2nd, maybe someone like Eichenberg, Radunz falls that far down but I don't think I'd risk it. 

5 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Trent should have yielded one first at a minimum if handled by anything more than a halfwit. 

I have not seen Brown or Wrights name as drawing interest from anyone. I am not sure there's anyone else that really fits what they want if they don't. They may look at Wilson, Alexander, Hewitt types speedier for coverage but not as good against the run. Otherwise its slower hitters like Perryman that aren't really 3 down guys

True but some players just get signed without buzz leading up to it.  So not sure what's going on with the MLB market.  It's not as sexy a position to talk about from the media talking heads compared to WRs for example. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

5 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Bruce really screwed up the Trent situation he would have definitely got a 1 from the Texans that year prior to the 2019 season. Bruce was so stubborn in both the Trent situation and even in the Kirk debacle. But lets face it Trent can blame the medical staff but that guy wanted more money. 

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Left tackles were already though getting big money and dudes like Trent rarely hit FA.   So I don't think it changes anything draft wise.  I think it was a given.  Tackles tend to go early in the draft.  I've been saying since the college season started we are likely taking a tackle in the first -- no big revelation on my end there since it doesn't take much to figure that out.  You got a rare loaded draft for tackles.  Last year it was top heavy for tackles.  This year isn't as top heavy but you got arguably 5-6 tackles with very similar ability.    You might be able to get away with taking one in the 2nd, maybe someone like Eichenberg, Radunz falls that far down but I don't think I'd risk it. 

True but some players just get signed without buzz leading up to it.  So not sure what's going on with the MLB market.  It's not as sexy a position to talk about from the media talking heads compared to WRs for example. 

The only way I think we go OT in the first, is if Darrisaw is somehow still there, otherwise I think BPA will be a different position.

Gotta come away with a good linebacker and a receiver between the draft and FA. The downside of not getting both in the FA period is that you go into the draft with needs that have to be filled.

Theres no way they are confident going into next season with Holcomb, JHC and Hudson. Hudson showed promise in the transition to LB, Holcomb is improving, JHC is a wild card... but even if they believe in all three of them we need at least one big time LB.

I’m hoping Caden Sterns is there for us in the second at safety. He should be a big time improvement.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

The only way I think we go OT in the first, is if Darrisaw is somehow still there, otherwise I think BPA will be a different position.

I got to watch Vera-Tucker again, I wasn't blown away by him when I did, but some draft geeks are really high on him.   Cosmi's athletic showing might prop him to our range.  Left tackles tend to go higher than what the mock drafters project.   If we don't take one in the first, I'd hope someone is left in the 2nd like Eichenberg, Leatherwood, etc.  The draft is a rare deep one at that spot.  I suspect guys like Eichenberg among other tackles are taken early in the 2nd.  If we were picking in the early 2nd I wouldn't worry that much.  But hard for me to imagine there is much left with the 19th pick in the 2nd.   Usually there is a run in the early 2nd at a deep spot that has been thinned out and is coveted.  Right now I predict that to be tackle. 

I am not married to any player in the first.  I waver on it.  Months ago I was Zaven Collins guy.  Now I think I am back there.  Part of me wants to trade down in the 1st and take a receiver or BPA-LT.  Not sure.  But I think if we don't come out of this uniquely loaded draft without a LT it would surprise me.  The draft is arguably loaded at 3 of our big need spots:  LB, WR, LT.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I got to watch Vera-Tucker again, I wasn't blown away by him when I did, but some draft geeks are really high on him.   Cosmi's athletic showing might prop him to our range.  Left tackles tend to go higher than what the mock drafters project.   If we don't take one in the first, I'd hope someone is left in the 2nd like Eichenberg, Leatherwood, etc.  The draft is a rare deep one at that spot.  I suspect guys like Eichenberg among other tackles are taken early in the 2nd.  If we were picking in the early 2nd I wouldn't worry that much.  But hard for me to imagine there is much left with the 19th pick in the 2nd.   Usually there is a run in the early 2nd at a deep spot that is been thinned out and is coveted.  Right now I predict that to be tackle. 

I am not married to any player in the first.  I wave on it.  Months ago I was Zaven Collins guy.  Now I think I am back there.  Part of me wants to trade down in the 1st and take a receiver or BPA-LT.  Not sure.  But I think if we don't come out of this uniquely loaded draft without a LT it would surprise me.  The draft is arguably loaded at 3 of our big need spots:  LB, WR, LT.  

I'm still a Collins guy. He's just so big and fast and while not a hard hitter or a dog, he looks so smooth at everything he does, that it seems like he'll have a great career and get better. Jamin Davis would be my second choice of LBer, but I don't think he makes it to our second pick.

Hopefully Horne, Mac or maybe one of the WRs slide to us and we can trade back a few spots. 

Ideally, we can trade our 1rst pick this year for one next year and an extra day 2 pick this year. That would be ideal IMO. Then just go buckshot at our 3 biggest needs.

• Like 1

Hope that doesn't include Samuel.  Belichick is basically outbidding everyone but overpaying.  I'd think the Agholor deal is partly what has screwed up the WR market.    I saw Agholor as a cheapish possibility if a team went in that direction after his comeback year at LV.  I didn't see him as a 13 million a year guy.  And then Marvin Jones who IMO is a better receiver gets half of that?

5 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm still a Collins guy. He's just so big and fast and while not a hard hitter or a dog, he looks so smooth at everything he does, that it seems like he'll have a great career and get better. Jamin Davis would be my second choice of LBer, but I don't think he makes it to our second pick.

Hopefully Horne, Mac or maybe one of the WRs slide to us and we can trade back a few spots. 

Ideally, we can trade our 1rst pick this year for one next year and an extra day 2 pick this year. That would be ideal IMO. Then just go buckshot at our 3 biggest needs.

Collins is a freak and he could cover.  I think he's overrated as a pass rusher -- he's more of a motor-try hard pass rusher than a dude who has moves.  He's a good albeit not great run stopper, he has his share of miss tackles.  What gets me about him is he's 260 pounds and moves like he's 220 pounds.   And he supposedly has through the roof intangibles.  I'd be jazzed if they like him.  As for Davis, he has has a lot of hype from draft geeks now and was hyped by the McGinn scouts -- the stuff I posted on the draft thread.  I haven't found enough footage to make up my own mind about him but I can see he's got some long arms, speed and range. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Nice video of William Jackson III highlights. He is fast and has great cover skills. Excellent signing I believe. 

The kid can definitely play but call me cynical, some of his highlights pull the flag if he is in the B&G

Jackson had a career high 5 AV last season and Darby had 7.  I'm not sure he's the clear cut upgrade everyone is saying he is, especially since he's actually a year older than Darby, and still costs more than Darby after Darby got a big raise.

We're spending a pretty large contract for average starter production, which is what we did with Landon Collins and is a departure from the low cost reclamation projects that worked for us at corner last year.  That's what happens when you go fishing on the first couple days of free agency.  But at least Jackson should probably work out.  He's fast and this is a friendly scheme for man corners, as both Fuller and Darby set their career highs in AV last season with 7 each.  He's a good bet to provide 7 or 8 AV next year and perhaps the year after.

Still, it is absurdly homerish of Ben Standing and Rhiannon Walker to say this gives us one of the best corner tandems in the NFL when you've got guys like TreDavious White and Stephon Gilmore who have single season AV totals that dwarf what Fuller and Jackson produced in 2020 combined.

How sure are we that we can get a starting LT in the 2nd round? I don't mind trading down (and they have hinted that's what they want to do) but from reading all the thoughts on here it seems we can get TE and WR in the 3rd round but the LT/LB that we need have to be our first two picks surely?